Yep. It's late. As it happens college is conducive for procrastination. Whodathunk?
Welcome To Josh's Fifth Annual Movie Awards Part One
As usual I'm listing every movie I saw this year. You get the idea. Naturally these are all subjective.
º means did not see it in cinemas
Multiple * denotes number of times saw in cinema
- — Eh. More or less sucked.
-/+ — Meh. See it if you want.
+ — Fairly good film, worth a watch.
++ — One of the better films of the year. Definitely go see this.
+++ — Amazing is not description enough. Go watch it.
- Contraband, -/+, it's not a bad film but it doesn't really stick with you after
- Haywire, +, interesting, smart, enjoyable action flick with a great cast
- Chronicle, ++, blends a unique use of the superpowers and found footage genre into a gritty, well done drama.
- Safe House, -/+ decent action flick with not much else going for it.
- This Means War, —, the winning leads can't salvage this lousy movie.
- Act of Valor, ++, deft action film that's further enhanced by its SEAL actors.
- John Carter, ++, a severely underrated science fiction film that's exceptionally good.
- 21 Jump Street, +/-, it's funny enough, but nothing to write home about.
- The Hunger Games, ++, fantastic adaption of a fantastic book.
- October Baby, —, I've written enough about this film's flaws on Essays, Not Rants!, so nothing else.
- Wrath of the Titans, -/+, it's alright, but nothing memorable
- The Cabin in the Woods, ++, phenomenal post-modern piece of horror fiction.
- Blue Like Jazz, ++, I drove two hours to watch this movie. Worth it.
- Lockout, -/+, it's Die Hard in space, but Guy Pearce isn't quite as charming as Bruce Willis.
- The Five-Year Engagement, -/+, forgettable comedy with few merits.
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits, +, fun stop motion film.
- The Avengers******, +++, perfect.
- BZP Lovers 3, +, it's enjoyable enough, but nothing more.
- Moonrise Kingdom, ++, quirky and enjoyable, it's Wes Anderson being Wes Anderson.
- Snow White and the Hunstman, —, just blah.
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, +, though not as good as the second one, it's fun enough
- Prometheus, -/+, look, it's not horrible, but it doesn't use its Alien roots.
- Rock of Ages, —, good as the songs are, the movie itself sucks.
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, ++, great piece of historical fiction with vampires.
- Brave, +, Pixar does a fairy tale, and a great one at that
- Beasts of the Southern Wildº, —, not terrible, but sorely lacking in anything distinctive
- Ted, ++, hilarious comedy with particularly great effects
- The Amazing Spider-Man**, ++, yeah, the new Spider-Man is a better Spider-Man. Great cast too.
- The Dark Knight Rises**, +, it's good even if it doesn't live up to The Dark Knight.
- The Watch, —, lousy piece of not-quite-funny comedy.
- Total Recall, -/+, Arnold did it better.
- The Expendables 2, +, not as good as the first, but still a big dumb action movie.
- Dredd, ++, like John Carter, another piece of underrated science fiction.
- End Of Watch, +, well put together cop drama
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower, ++, well done heartfelt coming of age story
- Looper, ++, again: exceptional piece of science fiction
- Taken 2, +, though not as good as the first, still a decent action flick.
- Argo, ++, fantastic drama with absolutely terrific acting and direction that deserved its Oscar
- Seven Psychopaths, +, it's funny, it's weird, and Sam Rockwell is amazing.
- Cloud Atlas, +, a surprisingly coherent blur of storytelling.
- Skyfall, ++, absolutely amazing James Bond film that might be the best.
- Wreck-It Ralph, +, probably the best video game movie ever.
- Lincoln, +, Spielburg and Day-Lewis nail this biopic of the 16th President.
- Silver Linings Playbook, +++, beautiful movie about broken people.
- Life of Pi, +, beautiful adaption of a great book.
- Deadfall, -/+, a messy story that could have almost been good.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey**, +, not as good as The Lord of the Rings, but not quite terrible.
- Zero Dark Thirty, ++, has what might be the best piece of military action on film.
- Django Unchained, +, it's Tarantino at his Tarantinoist, and all the better for it
- Les Misérables, +, there's a lot of singing in this tearjerking film.
So there it is, my Big List. Tune in tomorrow for the proper awards.