today is my third day of being on them btw. i just forgot to post about it here
instead of complaining that "not everyone in the fandom is like that!" whenever someone criticizes it
turn against the people who are making your fandom like that. weed them out and make it a safe space for everyone.
even just a small handful of people putting garbage like that in a fandom is too much and shouldnt be defended at all.
especially if your fandom is one originally designated for young girls.
So there has been a post going around Tumblr for awhile and I think it has some things that need to be said here.
It is illegal to be gay in 76 countries.
It is illegal to be gay in 76 countries.
It is illegal to be myself in 76 countries.
First off the number 76.This comes from a UN report from 2011. If we use a bit of Google we find that the number is currently a bit higher. But the point stays the same, it is illegal for me to be myself in 76+ countries.
Many of the countries have harsh imprisonment laws among other forms of punishment such as whippings. Or worse, some countries have the death penalty.
I can be imprisoned for being myself.
I can be killed for being myself.
Even in the United States it is not safe for me to be myself, there are states such as Louisiana that have had sting operations meant to target gay adults. Not to mention there are still a lot of hate crimes. Even in New York which is a very progressive area, there were a bunch of hate crimes that cropped up earlier this year.
I will stand against homophobia and transphobia. I will stand up for equal rights. Calling someone out for being hateful and harmful is not insulting them or hurting them. A lot of their hateful words have done more harm than calling them a bigot has ever (or will ever) done to them. However by calling people out on these issues hopefully it can inspire change.
Just because someone believes something that is hurtful does not mean they will always believe it. People do have the power to change.
BZPower is going to be a safe place. In fact in order to survive I believe BZPower needs to become a safe place. So many websites and communities are not safe places on the internet. There is a lot of bulling. Bullying has led to so many people committing suicide. I don't want BZPower to be like those places, I want BZPower to be a place where everyone is accepted for who they are.
I care for the people on BZPower, many of them have helped me through so many hard times in my life. Even now I've got great friends who have helped me through things (such as Hurricane Sandy). There are so many times that I've wanted to simply give up, even recently I've been going through some huge depression regarding my situation. However, I've met so many wonderful people here and they have all impacted me in some way and it has kept me going. There have been multiple times in my life where I have been in such dark places, and I've had great friends who have pulled me out of those places.
Let's make BZPower a safe place for everyone. A place where everlasting friendships can continue to be forged. A place of love and peace.
Source: Love and Peace
how about we just stop victim blaming. stop telling victims its their fault for being abused instead of holding the abusers accountable for their actions.
This is just an open letter to, well, everybody, in direct response to the goings-on in the blogs currently. Please take a moment to read it.
1. I understand this is probably all overwhelming for some of you and I don't blame you for that but please don't say that we need a "change of subject." Because even if you don't want to talk about these issues, they are important and need to be tackled head-on if we want to work to make our community truly safe and family-friendly. We're finally making some real headway towards safety and equality on this site and that should not be stalled just because you don't want to read about it.
2. It's not the right of the privileged to tell the oppressed how to act or be. That's relevant both in terms of the actual oppression and in how you treat response to it.
3. Please don't confused "everyone should be treated equally" with "everyone's views are equal." We are all equal as human beings, and part of that means we all should be held equally responsible and accountable for our beliefs, words, and actions. Some beliefs are toxic. Some words and actions are harmful. These things should not be "respected" or be exempt from criticism, because they hurt people and that is wrong. Degrading a human being is wrong no matter what you believe. Criticizing and calling out toxic and harmful beliefs, actions, and words, is NOT wrong - and in fact is necessary if we are ever to move forward as a safe, peaceful, and respectful society.
All right, that's all. Thank you for reading; carry on now and please remember these three points in your continuing discourse.
Glitter and kisses,
ps: destroy the patriarchy!
Source: ! Please Stop and Read This !
it isnt about just you anymore. quit trying to silence us just because youre no longer allowed to tell us that our existence is somehow wrong. thanks
Here are a few things people need to know if they are going to continue with their blogging, replying to blogs, and interactions with BZPower in general.
Because I am DONE WITH THIS.
So here's the rub:
- You do not get to "disagree" with who someone is. Someone's identity or sexuality are not up for debate. They are what they are, and you do not have the right to tell them they are wrong. And if you have the urge to do so? Congratulations, you are what's wrong.
- You do not get to insult and dehumanize someone. This should go without saying, but apparently it needs to be said.
- Tolerance DOES NOT MEAN that those who are being INTOLERANT get to say "THIS ISN'T FAIR, I'M NOT BEING TOLERATED!!". It means that those who have been VICTIMIZED, INSULTED, DEHUMANIZED, MARGINALIZED, OPPRESSED, HARASSED, BEATEN, ABUSED, EXPLOITED, and been on the receiving end of SYSTEMATIC, INSTITUTIONAL, and PERSONAL INJUSTICE are able to EXPRESS THEMSELVES EQUALLY and FAIRLY. Because THAT IS EQUALITY.
- You're a member of the majority who has been allowed to benefit and exploit others because your race/gender/orientation/religion/political preferences have been the majority view for most of modern society and feel like you're suddenly "UNDER ATTACK"? You're not losing your rights to free expression when people call you out on your impropriety, you're not being oppressed- you're being a ###### and society is finally more tolerant of others admitting it. Non-hetero-normative orientations and ideas don't oppress you. But the opposite? Yeah, heteronormative expression oppresses them. And that's BAD.
- You do not get to belittle and insult the mental health of someone. Psychiatrists are trained SCIENTISTS. Therapists are trained professionals. Not a single person on this site to my knowledge is either (I'm frustratingly close to being the latter, but it'll be a bit still). Psychology is a science. It is not some "feel-good" thing that exists to baby someone. And depression? It is a devastating and life-altering illness that deserves to be treated the same as cancer and the flu. It is an illness and just because you can't see someone bleeding, doesn't mean it's not real.
- All of this discussion WILL STOP PERMANENTLY. I am NOT saying that members who are transgendered or homosexual must stop discussing their problems with society or the hardships they face. I am saying that any discussion that centers around the legitimacy of their claims or ridiculous arguments against their "lifestyle" will no longer be even remotely tolerated. This is not a discussion that is going to happen again.
If I see anyone on this site express any of those thoughts in these blogs, from here on out, it is an automatic proto drop. I WILL send Hahli Husky or Makaru or Windrider after you. I am absolutely positively DONE with this UTTER DISRESPECTFUL NONSENSE. People deserve to feel SAFE BEING WHO THEY ARE. They do NOT DESERVE to deal with ignorance and hatred on what is supposed to be a safe place.
And once again, no, if you "disagree" with homosexuality or transgendered identities or other things, you are not being oppressed.
NOT BEING ALLOWED TO EXPRESS OPPRESIVE VIEWPOINTS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS BEING OPPRESSED. BEING DENIED THE ABILITY TO OPPRESS OTHERS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS BEING OPPRESSED. DO NOT BEGIN TO CONFLATE THE TWO. I WILL SUFFER NO MARTYR COMPLEXES.
This has been an official blog leader response.
it implies that thats all it is is petty drama. its a ###### of a lot deeper than that, its about us calling out people who seem to think that we arent real people, that think our problems arent that important. its a lot deeper than just "drama on a forum for a dead childrens toy". its about sending a message that were tired of the bigotry that some of the members of this site display and were gonna call it out at every corner until they realize that what they are doing is wrong and that their toxic mindsets are very harmful on a huge scale.
its about us telling people this kind of thing isnt okay, and sending a message; both to people that have already grown up believing this type of vitriol that its not okay and hoping to turn it around, and to the younger, more impressionable members who have yet to really experience things and form opinions to learn that were just people trying to survive in a world stacked against us, and that theyll take that out into the outside world and work with us for a better tomorrow for everyone. sure bzpower is just a website, but that doesnt make the lessons learned and the messages seen any less real, and that includes the harmful things that some of the member base have come off with in recent years, and we dont want the very real people reading those harmful things to believe them and take them out into the real world and use those ideas as a basis to hurt us.
were not here to cause problems. were here to fix the problematic ideas that society has sown into peoples minds that were not natural, that were subhuman, that we dont deserve the same rights and protections as everyone else.
and if you think us calling out garbage like that is just us trying to start drama, or if you think not talking about it at all will magically make everything bad go away and that you can just sweep us under the rug by trying to "lighten the mood", then maybe you need to reevaluate your own ideals.
Source: DESTROY. THE. PATRIARCHY.
Let's be real for a moment.
Don't you dare deny the evils of the patriarchy. Don't you dare spit on all the women on whom our society encourages assault and violation. Don't you dare blame the victims of these assaults. Don't you dare try to justify their earning cents on the dollar. Don't you dare tell them what their role in society is, or what you want them to do, or that they should calm down. Don't you dare devalue them because they're angry - they have every right to be angry. And most of all, don't you DARE deny that this oppression exists just because YOU don't suffer it. If you don't care about oppression unless you're part of the group being actively oppressed, you're a cartoonishly evil villain.
Women are suffering every day and whether you see it or deny it will not change that immutable, hideous fact. It affects your sisters, your mothers, the strangers on the street. It affects women, it affects men, and it affects people of non-binary gender like me. It's not the natural order of things. It's a system of power and control, and its biggest aid is that it is subconsciously supported.
But we can tear it apart, together.
You don't have to be a radical to make a positive impact. Every one of us can fight for what is right, even in small daily ways. Call out misogynists when they make ###### jokes. Stand up for women and LGBTQ people. Make donations to positive organizations. Don't just shout out when something big happens - this stuff is a constant, daily thing, so pushing back against it needs to happen every day. This has nothing to do with politics. This has nothing to do with party lines. This has nothing to do with being some kind of hero. It has everything to do with humanity and decency.
Be strong. Be resolute. Do not stop being angry. Do not stop talking about this. Do not focus on gender issues, or sexist issues, or racial issues, or LGBTQ issues, or trans*misogyny issues, just because it's a hot-button thing today. The marginalizing continues tomorrow. It will continue until we burn the system to ash. Stay furious every day that women are hurt. Stay furious every day. Stand up. Fight back.
DESTROY THE PATRIARCHY
what kind of man builds a machine to kill a girl?
location: the cyber web grid
interests: headcanoning all your fave characters as transgender and being better than you in every conceivable way
0 user(s) viewing
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users