• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Blogs

Photo

Set Review: 21314 TRON: Legacy

Posted by Bfahome in You're attacked by a Repair Nektann, May 25 2018 · 22 views

RIN-ZLER

(stomp stomp)

RIN-ZLER

(stomp stomp)

RIN-ZLER

(stomp stomp)

Photo

Finally Got the Copper Huna

Posted by Illuminatus in The Minimalist, May 25 2018 · 33 views

Back in 2006 when I became and Outstanding BZPower Citizen a US copper Huna was sent out to me as a token of appreciation but unfortunately never made it to me.

12 years later I finally have it. Black Six was kind enough to send me one as a substitute for the Villain Pack I won in the 2018 Member Raffle #4.

Photo

Canceled Hotdog Summit

Posted by Jean Valjean in Kraggh's Works ♫♪, May 24 2018 · 33 views
Kim Jon-Un, barbecue, humor

:kaukau: I was hoping to meet with my father before work and put some hotdogs on the grill this morning. Unfortunately, that could not come to pass, and I gave him this formal Filial Statement:

Dear Mr. Old Man,

I greatly appreciate your initial availability for a barbecue schedules to take place at 12 today at your place with Siracha. I was looking forward to having lunch with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous distractedness and open apathy displayed by your most recent statement, I feel that it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this last-minute meeting. It is difficult for me to schedule a lunch when you are already mentally out to lunch. Therefore, let this letter serve to represent that the Siracha summit, for the good of both parties, but for the detriment of our local supermarket, will not take place. You talk of your cooking capabilities, but my sauces are so spicy and delicious that I pray to God they will most definitely see use.

I felt a wonderful appetite was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that appetite that matters. Some day, I look very much forward to eating with you. In the meantime, I would like to thank you for the increase of the sausages that are now at home in the refrigerator. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.

Yes, this was in reference to something that we saw in the news this morning.

Photo

BZPMN 2 - A Teaser

Posted by Nato The Traveler in The Chronicles of Nato, May 24 2018 · 46 views

Two years have passed since the events of BZPMN Season 1, and a lot has changed in that time. This blog post will fill in some of the blanks regarding the mythology of this series (which was hinted at in Season 1, but was never fully explained), as well as detailing what has transpired in the aftermath of Season 1.

THE TIME BEFORE TIME

In the early eras of existence, seven powers held dominion over the world. Two Brothers, one benevolent and kind, the other malevolent and chaotic. Two Queens, insatiable in hunger, who existed only to devour all they could, and destroy what they could not. A Viceroy, who wished to dominate and control, and an Empress, whose desire was to distort nature’s creations to suit her own twisted whims. There also existed an Other, enigmatic and aloof, a force that remained impartial, refusing to interfere in the affairs of its compatriots.

For eons, these seven powers remained amiable, each ruling over a separate portion of the planet. However, having reduced their own allotted lands to barren wastes, the Queens grew greedy, and journeyed to the island that would later come to be called Mata Nui, where the Brothers resided. While the Brothers had their differences, they still banded together to fight off this mutual threat. In the end, their combined might was enough to defeat, but not destroy, the Queens – they were imprisoned deep below the island, and their children, the Bohrok, fell into a dormant slumber. The Brothers combined their power to give life to eight sentient Seals – called Krana – which could be used to siphon some of the Queen’s power, wresting control over their Bohrok. Impressed by this display of power, the Viceroy, Empress, and Other all wisely chose to honour the agreed-upon borders.

For hundreds of years afterwards, the Brother’s island existed in a delicate balance between good and evil, with the benign Mata Nui (after whom the island had been named), and his brother, the malignant Makuta, fighting in an endless stalemate over the souls of the Matoran inhabitants. Both required the belief of the Matoran – faith and fear, respectively – to hold onto their power. But, as time went by, the people’s belief in their legends wavered, and Makuta seized advantage of this to cast his weakened brother into an endless slumber, giving himself the freedom to wreak havoc across the island.

All was not lost, though, as seven prophesised champions, the Toa, rose from obscurity to combat Makuta and reawaken Mata Nui. However, fate played a cruel trick on these heroes. The stories foretelling their destiny had been misconstrued, distorted, and skewed. Under the direction of the embittered, vengeful Turaga, the Toa ventured into Makuta’s lair beneath the island, and slew him.

They never returned.

Their mission had been to reawaken Mata Nui, and restore balance to the island. By destroying Makuta, they had instead destroyed what little balance remained, bringing about a disaster more catastrophic than anything Makuta alone could’ve managed, and opening the way for far darker, more destructive powers to rise to prominence.

With both Brothers out of play, the magic that had kept the Queens imprisoned began to waver. The island underwent an immense tectonic upheaval, tsunamis battered the coastlines, fissures ripped apart the ground, and the Mangai Volcano erupted, shrouding the land in ash. The villages survived the chaos, save for one; as a result of Ta-Koro’s attempt to redirect the lava flows away from destroying their own village, the jungles of Le-Wahi burned, and Le-Koro burned with them.

While the Queens still remained trapped, the Krana alone were no longer enough to contain their power. Gradually, they were able to recover enough of their energies to reawaken some of the Bohrok, which began to search for the Krana. However, beings such as Makuta do not die easily, for while his body was gone, the tattered remains of his weakened spirit remained, seeking refuge in infected Masks and corrupted Kolhii balls, covertly influencing events in an effort to prevent the utter destruction of the island… and ensure his own return.

AFTER THE FALL

With almost half the island incinerated, and much of the fertile land spoiled by the fallen ash, Ga-Koro soon came to hold the monopoly on water and food. With only limited land available to grow food and crops, they struck up a partnership with Po-Koro, who worked to maintain farms and fields on Ga-Koro’s behalf. This remained a peaceful partnership until ten years ago, when Ga-Koro caught wind of rumours that Po-Koro was planning to invade and seize sole control of the food and water trade, and pre-emptively poisoned their next water shipment, slaughtering half of Po-Koro’s population.

In the aftermath, the rulers of Ga-Koro made it clear that they would do the same to anyone else who crossed them, and even threatened to burn the fields and poison the water stores if they were invaded… a threat that, if carried out, would likely doom much of the island’s population to starvation. Since this incident, the people of Mata Nui lived in a tentative state of tension. But such a state cannot last.

50 years after the cataclysm, the villages had finally recovered from the ravages of the cataclysm, their defences repaired, their populations growing, but resources remaining just as scarce. Ko-Koro, having been quiet for years, began rapidly militarising, while the people of Onu-Koro had become even more elusive than usual, retreating into their defensive tunnels. Civil strife in Ga-Koro resulted in the despotic leadership responsible for the poisoning of Po-Wahi being overthrown, leading to unrest and uncertainty across the island, as the other villages waited to see if these new rulers would be better or worse than those that came before them.

Rumours began to spread of strange artefacts being discovered across the island – fragments of broken masks and armour, and shattered tools, all allegedly belonging to the fallen Toa. With increasing frequency, miners and explorers from various regions reported discovering unnatural tunnels or fissures in the earth, sometimes accompanied by sightings of unknown insect-like creatures. Tales of whispering masks and cults devoted to old gods filled the taverns, and stranger still, there were reports from all over the island of Matoran vanishing from their homes, wandering out into the night with unusual Kolhii balls clutched in their hands, never to return…

Of the six Turaga of old, the ones who summoned and misled the Toa, the only Matoran left alive who knew of the old legends and the true threats, only one remained. Matau perished in the incineration of Le-Koro, while Onewa met his end ten years ago at the claws of Nui-Jaga, in the act of hiding one of the Krana in their nest. More recently, Nuju was betrayed by one of his own people, while Nokama was assassinated by agents of Makuta during a riot in Ga-Koro. Vakama was imprisoned and tortured to the point of insanity by the demented ruler of Ta-Koro, leaving only Whenua to safeguard the secrets of ancient times.

But secrets can never stay hidden forever. In time, fragments of the truth began to come to light, but too little, too late, to prevent calamity.

REPERCUSIONS

During this time of crisis, a great many events of significance transpired. Discoveries were made, ancient powers were harnessed, civil wars were fought, and lives – both innocent and guilty – were lost. Following the slew of disasters, remaining Krana were uncovered, and the Bohrok were either enslaved or retreated back into hiding. For several months, an uncertain peace held sway over Mata Nui… until the Gahlok attacked en-masse. New Le-Koro was swept away in a matter of hours, and the settlers were forced to once again relocate.

Soon after the Gahlok attack, attacks from other Bohrok began to occur with ever-increasing frequency. Land travel become more and more difficult, exacerbating tensions that were already near breaking point. Thanks to their force of enslaved Kohrak, Po-Koro was no longer dependent on Ga-Koro for water or protection, but wielding the power of diplomacy, they remained on amiable terms with their neighbour, working together to tend and the fields of crops that still supplied food to much of the rest of the island.

While Po-Koro attempted to extend the hand of friendship to Onu-Koro, the underground village refused to accept their help, citing Po-Koro’s friendly relationship with Ga-Koro as a cause for concern. While no culprit had ever been confirmed for the poisoning of Onu-Koro, there was little doubt in anyone’s mind that the poison had originally come from Ga-Wahi, leaving a lingering animosity between the regions.

With Onu-Koro too focused on rebuilding their own stability to honour their previous alliance, Ko-Koro was left largely isolated. They remained justifiably distrustful of Ta-Koro, who was equally isolated, and equally suspicious of their icy neighbours. While it was public knowledge that the madwoman Elittra had been driven away from Ta-Koro, the atrocities that she’d committed had also become commonly known across the island, leaving many to wonder how such crimes had been allowed to continue for so long, and whether the people of Ta-Koro had secretly supported their leader’s barbarism.

And so, the stage seemed to be set for the next phase of Mata Nui’s history – the militarily mighty villages of Ta and Ko Koro stood alone, and apart, while Onu-Koro retreated into seclusion, and the fallen masters of Ga-Koro worked alongside the former slaves of Po-Koro… all as the Bohrok steadily grew in strength and number, gradually reducing the island to a barren, uninhabitable wasteland.

Everything changed with the unexpected arrival of massive arks on the shores of Mata Nui, similar to the ones that had previously been glimpsed near the site of New Le-Koro. These immense vessels bore Matoran hailing from elements the likes of which had never been seen on Mata Nui before. The newcomers claimed to be fleeing from a war that had ravaged their distant homeland, pleading for asylum on Mata Nui, the first habitable island they’d encountered in over four years of voyaging.

Reluctantly, the disparate villages of the island accepted these new arrivals into their midst, the integration serving to break down some of the long-held social boundaries that had held sway over the island. No longer was a village’s citizenship exclusive to Matoran of a lone element. Now, anyone could make anywhere their home. Some of the more conservative, elitist Matoran swore to preserve their perceived purity, and attempted to construct villages of their own elsewhere to the island. But without the numbers and defences of the major villages, these smaller settlements were soon swept away by the Bohrok swarms.

One new village did, however, manage to assert itself. Kra-Koro, the city of the Makuta-worshippers, built on and around the ruins of what had once been the temple of Kini-Nui. From this new stronghold, the self-proclaimed Turaga Tuyet began to preach her promise of salvation – if Makuta could be revived, Mata-Nui could be reawakened, and the Bohrok Queens could be vanquished.

Wary of the old legends of Makuta, and rumours of thefts and murders that had been committed by Tuyet and her followers, many dismissed her claims as the ramblings of a madwoman. But as resources grow scarcer, the Bohrok increase in number, and the island drifts ever closer to disaster, madness may be the only way forward…

Photo

Updates Are Up

Posted by Pahrak #0579 in Mt. Coronet, May 22 2018 · 18 views
writing advert

I actually managed to do it! Right of Law Section VI is up now!

Krika visits Ga-Koro and finds his people in good health, but that might not be the case for long. Things are getting a bit tense at Bitil's outpost as well, though things aren't all serious, with the introduction of some new Rahkshi I think everyone will appreciate.

I also updated SSS3 today, so I met my goal of getting both updated by the end of this week. Going forward...who knows. But since both stories are heading into major battles, I'll do my best to keep the wait from going too long.

Photo

Yveltal/Xerneas Pokemon Code Giveaway

Posted by Windseeker in Wind's Weblog, May 21 2018 · 43 views

Posted Image
#oops

So if you want one, or aren't able to get one yourself, let me know. The code works with...
Sun - Yveltal lvl 60
Ultra Sun - Yveltal lvl 100 and Gold Bottle Cap

Moon - Xerneas lvl 60
Ultra Moon - Xerneas lvl 100 and Gold Bottle Cap

So even if you want four, that's cool, because I have literally 50 codes now RIP

Photo

Motivated Acceleration

Posted by Ta-metru_defender in TMD's Creatively Named Blog, May 19 2018 · 36 views

Essays, Not Rants 321: Motivated Acceleration

I am endlessly fascinated by mediums. No, not people who claim to talk to ghosts; rather the forms that stories can take. Why does this story work better as a novel? Why this a video game? Why that a play?

It’s usually adaptations where you can see the cracks that are the chasms between mediums. Consider the recent comic adaptation of The Last Jedi, which is essentially a beat-for-beat retelling, it doesn’t quite capture all the visual splendor of the movie. BB-8 trying a variety of attempts to fix Poe’s X-Wing is far less interesting on the page. There are other additions that use the strength of comics, though. But point is, there are some things that would only really work on in one medium.

And Infinity War has a fantastic moment that could only have worked on film. Consider this a mild spoiler warning for someone who hasn’t seen any trailers and really doesn’t know what’s going on in that movie.

In the third act, a group of heroes prepare to defend Wakanda from the Black Order and their army. A gap is opened in the shield to funnel in the advancing bad guys, and the heroes prepare to attack. Black Panther gives an order to his soldiers, they ready their weapons, he yells “Wakanda Forever!” and leads the charge. He, Okoye, Captain America, Black Widow, Bucky, War Machine, and the others rush forward together. This is a terrifically epic moment in and of itself, but it’s what comes next that I wanna talk about. As the good guys run towards the advancing Outriders, two people pull ahead of the pack: Captain America and Black Panther. It makes perfect sense within the lore: they’re both extra fast because of the super-soldier serum and heart-shaped herb, respectively; and they’re also two of the bravest characters in the MCU. Seeing these two lead the charge is a delightful visual gag.

And it’s one that only works in film (we’re gonna ignore tv for now because budget constraints).

It wouldn’t work quite as well in prose, given that a strong part of what makes the beat work is the visual of it. Being able to see the scale of it all as well as seeing Cap and T'Challa pull ahead on film. The thrill of it would play out differently, and probably a little less viscerally. This you gotta see for it to work as it does.

So let’s go back to comics, y’know, where these characters came from. As dope a splash page as the beat would look, it doesn’t convey a key part of the gag: acceleration. Everyone starts out together, but it’s only those two who are absolutely racing towards the bad guys. They didn’t get a head start, they’re just that much faster. Ah, but the joy of comics is that they can be sequential panels. The first panel has them all together, second has Cap and T'Challa a little ahead, and in the third they’re attacking Outriders while the others lag behind. Classic three beat structure. But that’s three panels; panels take up space, and space implies importance. What was a quick moment in the film is now made more important than it was. Still cool, but no longer the quick gag.

Video games are visual and those visuals move, so maybe here we have a strong contender. Let’s not imagine this as a cutscene (because what are cutscenes other than short films?) but rather a playable segment. By virtue of games’ interactivity you’re immediately given a leg up on being a visceral thing. You’re part of the charge. But, if you’re playing as Steve Rogers or T'Challa will you notice that you’re ahead? If you’re a foot soldier or Bucky Barnes will you be too preoccupied with your assault to notice? The interactivity of games also means there’s an element of subjectivity. Playing Halo’s The Silent Cartographer on a difficult level is a solo affair, with most of the AI marines being picked off by the Covenant early on, but if you’re playing it on easy you’re part of a small army. Or it could be not getting a certain plot point in a Mass Effect game for not going on a certain sidequest. In essence, there’s no way to guarantee something lands, that the player experiences a certain thing a certain way (without taking control away from the player).

Which I guess is where film shines. Not only does it have visual storytelling, but the fact that the camera is motivated lets us see exactly what the storyteller wants us to see. Consider the shot in question again: we see everyone running forward, then the camera follows Captain America and Black Panther as the pull ahead and lead the way into the fray. The shot lasts barely a couple of seconds (if that), but it’s a fantastic little moment. We take it in and process it instantly. It’s a terrific beat, and one that would only spent the way it does in film.

You could have a similar gag in another medium, but it wouldn’t work quite the same way. A comic’s narration could draw attention to it in one panel, a game could use characters’ stats to similar effect. There are elements to media that really make them unique, and taking advantage of those elements will yield something really special.

Which is a really roundabout to say that guys, Infinity War is a lotta fun and an epic movie.

Photo

#RenewTimeless

Posted by AZBlue in Okoto-Nui, May 15 2018 · 32 views

So, I've been following NBC's sophomore show Timeless from it's premier. It's a fun show, and definitely underrated. One year ago the first season ended, and the show was cancelled before NBC reversed their decision a few days later. Now the show is again at risk, with no word on a third season or a cancellation.

I had something happen with the campaign to keep the show on that I never would've expected. I made a tweet that is currently sitting at around 250ish retweets and over 600 likes. I'm amazed that this happened, and also proud to have my voice be heard in a fandom as large as Timeless has.

If you haven't seen the show, go watch it on hulu. I highly recommend it, even with its flaws, as a fun action/adventure/romance/history lesson/drama. Yes, it has all of that.

Photo

I got a Switch

Posted by Akano in Akano's Blog, May 14 2018 · 35 views

Posted Image

Murio Odd-easy is fun. Trying to think of some other games to bolster my library.

Dat Joy-Con color scheme, tho.

Posted Image

Photo

#SaveTheExpanse

Posted by Paleo in PaleoBlog, May 14 2018 · 39 views

Please! Everyone! Sign the petition!
And once you've done that, make sure to check out the subreddit for more ways you can help!

Photo

Toys R Us Liquidation, Michigan, and Bionicle

Posted by JMSOG in Odd Thoughts by JMSOG, Apr 23 2018 · 122 views

I was given hope by someone who claimed they managed to get old Bionicle promotional stuff from a liquidating Toys R Us.

If you happen to live in michigan, let me save you some time: I just called all of them. They don't have it anymore.

Photo

Whoops, it slipped my mind!

Posted by Makuta_of_Oz in Through the Eyes of Madness, Apr 21 2018 · 98 views

Feb 21 marked 10 years since I joined BZPower! And it completely slipped my mind to pay a visit! I'm so sorry! :'(

Photo

Review: Gahlok Pen

Posted by xccj in Team J.A.F., Apr 19 2018 · 119 views
review

There was some talk in the forums a while ago about the Bohrok pens, an abstract collectible item from the era of excessive Lego merchandising. In looking up some pictures, I discovered a relatively cheap copy of a Gahlok pen on BrickLink, and because I have no impulse control, I now own it. And since I previous wrote a review on the Lewa and Onua Mata pens, I decided to do the same with this one. So without further ado...

Posted Image

It seems like the standard pen case for the Lego pens at the turn of the millennium. (Although I guess it's missing the plastic backing that would hold the spare beads on display.) A cool design bit is that the top is somewhat shaped like a Bohrok faceplate.

Posted Image~Posted Image
(Click for larger images)

The leaflet shows off some of the other various pens, including the original Toa Mata pens, the rest of the Bohrok pens, and a collection of the Toa Nuva pens. (I have the masks from all the Mata pens, but I haven't found any of the Nuva pens. There are a few available online from ebay and such... but I think they're going for $40 to $60. So that's a no from me.) There are some quirky descriptions of the pens (with a tip to add them to your collection ASAP, subtle marketing there) as well as a bio for the Gahlok Bohrok. (Which sounds vaguely familiar, so it's a little more official than the Mata Bios on the previous pen leaflets.)

Posted Image

The full pen can hold about six beads, and comes with a handful of extras to let you customize the design. I mean, neat concept, but Lego played that out for a ton of different pens back in the day, so it's not exactly revolutionary here. The grip is kinda cool with the swirly blue design. Alas, the ink is long since dried up (it's been 16 years now) and I have yet to find a replacement cartridge. (I have looked through a few craft stores... if somebody more knowledgeable knows anything, please share, it would be kinda cool to make these pens usable again.) The main unique feature here is the Bohrok faceplate. Unfortunately, it's attached to the top of the pen (and as such to the pin that runs down the center of the entire thing) so you can't really use it to make a mini Bohrok. But it folds up and down nicely to cover the krana and keep it from falling out. (Kinda.)

Posted Image

You get 11 beads plus the mini krana. The cooler beads, IMO, are the printed ones. The giant black one with the Bionicle logo appears in all the Bionicle pens, as far as I can tell, but it's still a decent design. Then you've got some medium blue beads with the Bohrok symbol, Gahlok shield, and a silhouette of the Gahlok Va. Then there's a blue bead that has an outline of the Mata Nui island on one side, and the name spelt out on the other. The rest of the beads are generic filler, including a blue, orange, trans orange, and thin medium blue bead (the latter of which it still on the bar in the image above.) The last large bead is actually molded after the Bohrok limb piece, which is clever.

Of course, the beads are largely superficial decorations. Yes, they do roughly fit onto a system stud, but there's no real practical MOC use out of them. Instead, everybody's interested in the krana and the head bead it attaches to.

Posted Image

The head bead does attach to a minifig neck... kind of. It attaches as well as any of the other pen beads, which is to say barely. Unfortunately, while the original Toa Kanohi hung down and covered the neck gap, the krana does not. (The head bead also sticks out quite a bit in the back, making it even more awkward to place on a minifigure torso.)

Posted Image

The krana is a hard plastic orange Krana Yo (the tunneling mole krana, for those who haven't memorized the powers). It has a small pin connection that fits exclusively into the mouth of the head bead. It is too small to fit into a traditional system bar hole, but too large to fit into the small accessory holes seen in minifigure hairpieces. Basically, it's useless without the head bead to attach to. And the attachment is weak... I don't know if that has to do with age or not, but the clutch power is barely there.

Posted Image

It's not to say the head bead is completely worthless. It attaches firmly to a stud, so it would actually work nicely to incorporate a small krana into a system MOC. There's potential... but not enough for me to go and track down the other five Bohrok pens. :glare: Unfortunately, it looks like the Toa Nuva pens also have unique masks that clip to the same head bead, which means that making Toa Nuva minifigures using the pen masks does not seem like a feasible project either, even if the pens were moderately affordable.

So the pen is only sorta meh, and the beads and krana aren't quite as worthy as the Toa Mata pen masks. There's a nice nostalgia kick for those of us who grew up in the Bohrok saga, but honestly it's not a must-have collectible.

And standard disclaimer: the Toa Mata masks pictured are from the *spoiler* Toa Pens from 2001. The torso decals were done by Nuju Metru (I gave him a handful of collectible minifigs for them.) I already did a post about maybe getting a bunch of torsos printed on commission, but there was no interest and instead people just griped about my color choices.)

:music:

Photo

BZPower T-shirt Contest 2018!

Posted by Brappy Hour in Raptor Paddock, Apr 05 2018 · 617 views

Imagination Takes Flight!

9th verse, same as the first. Welcome once more, friends. It's 2018, and that means it's the 10th anniversary of the Karda Nui saga. So rather then limiting the contest to a set or group of characters. You all have artistic freedom with this project! The only requirement is that the design must be based on the sets and story of Bionicle 2008. Something serious, or something comical? The choice is yours!

Rules: Your design must be a simple design, one color, and must be medium sized. A previous winner and decent example is linked here. https://www.flickr.c...nk/27382260865/
Your design must also be black on a clear white background. This makes it easier for the screen printing process.

You may post your entries in this thread, and have until the end of May to submit your design.

The Prize: The maker of the winning design will receive a free T-Shirt!

ADDITIONAL INFO:
The winning design will be chosen through a voting process of the members of BZP.
Colors will be suggested and chosen by the members as well.

Feel free to ask any questions if needed.
That's all for now. Have fun, and good luck!

(I apologize for the cut and paste. Life has gotten really busy.)

Photo

15 years on here

Posted by Angel Beat in ~ Canterlot's Sparkling Jewel ~, Apr 02 2018 · 120 views

That's about half my life. :blink:

Photo

The Jazziest JtO Spoof

Posted by SPIRIT in SPIRIT's Blog, Mar 31 2018 · 138 views

Back when Journey to One came out two years ago, I said to myself, "hey, remember all those movie spoofs you wrote back in the day? Weren't those fun? You should totally write one for this Netflix thing because it's going to be around forever."

Then they announced the cancellation.

"Hey, it's still cool, it'll be nice to do one last thing with Bionicle before saying goodbye forever."

Yes, well, little did I realize that it would end up taking two years! Granted, I was finishing a master's degree, moving countries, and starting a career, so there were a few more things taking my attention than when I was a teenager going to school for 6 hours a day, but this was still pretty difficult. My standards as to what constitutes a joke have certainly risen since I wrote my first movie spoof back when I was 14, but also the dialogue in Journey to One was harder to intersperse with jokes and I've just become a lot more susceptible to writer's block in my old age.

However I did finish it.

There were many times I wanted to give up. It certainly didn't help that this didn't have nearly the readership the previous instalments in the series had, but I kept telling myself that I didn't get into writing for the praise. I did it because I had something to say.

Even though it was hard work, I'm glad I did it. A final homage to a franchise I loved so well. And now my legacy as someone who finishes everything he started on this site remains intact. (Please ignore all memories you may have of my many unfinished projects.)

If you'd like to check it out for yourself, I encourage you to give it a read.

Photo

Posted by Lucina in Great Games, Mar 21 2018 · 170 views

can i be paid for this

Photo

BrickLink Store Back Open!

Posted by ChocolateFrogs in Scientific Progress Goes "Boink", Mar 20 2018 · 149 views
LEGO, BrickLink

Hey! Long time no blog.

After a short hiatus, my BrickLink store is back open!

Mention BZPower and get 10% off!

More stock coming next week!

-CF :kakama:

Photo

Love, Simon

Posted by SwagtronYOLO in Designated Tekulo Crying Corner ♡, Mar 18 2018 · 222 views
Love Simon, LGBT+, Movies

I just got back home from the movies. I'm normally not a movie person, personally. Movies tend to be about heteronormative romances on the side of some other quirk designed to sell tickets for whatever special effects the industry wants to show off this time. Okay, maybe that's a tad unfair because I'm not a movie person, but that's how I generally view them. And it's not like I dislike every movie. But mostly I stick to Disney movies. That has changed lately as I am now a bus ride or a decent walk away from a movie theater these days. And hey, I actually have an income now, so I can actually justify going out to enjoy my life. I digress.

When I first heard that this movie was about a gay romance with a PG-13 rating, I pretty much knew I was going to see it. LGBT movies tend to be too trashy or too heartbreaking or too esoteric for me to notice. Granted I haven't seen too many of them, but in general none of them really quite fit. It's kind of like "even when it's LGBT oriented it still doesn't really pertain to me." Maybe I've just seen the wrong movies.

So my experience started when I first entered the theater. I was second in line at the ticket booth. I had gotten there about twenty minutes before the theater opened for the afternoon (they open 15 minutes before the first movie is scheduled to air). After I got a small soda and popcorn, I was the first person in the theater. Now, I live in a more conservative area so I honestly wasn't sure if anyone else was going to show (even though it was opening weekend for Love, Simon).

The first group to walk in was this group of teenagers. Not wanting to be a total creep, I didn't make eye contact, something I rarely do with anyone I don't personally know, and I browsed my phone. I couldn't help overhearing them, however. They were talking about whether or not they had come out to their family. Most of them had, but one of them said they hadn't. "My mom thinks I'm confused." One of them said and in response their friend said "Hahaha, it's cute that [she] thinks that." They talked about their orientations "I'm pan." "I'm grey asexual" and so on. One of them made a point to say that none of their group was heterosexual.

This struck a chord with me. I had known there were other kids who were out when I was going to school. I decided to remain closeted for a long period of my life. I went through most of my younger days dealing with everything on my own. It was difficult at the time. It made me really happy just to overhear these young adults. Throughout the entire movie they were reacting (just like I was) to the events onscreen.

Most of the people who came in after that seemed to be young women. There was one elderly couple.

One thing the theater seemed to lack were problematic men. That suited me just fine.

After the previews aired, the countdown for the movie started. I honestly didn't realize how excited I was to see this movie until just before it started. I was really optimistic. For the first time ever, t h e... f i r s t... t i m e... e v e r, I felt like I was seeing a movie that was made for someone like me. Even if I wound up not liking the movie, which I knew was a very real possibility, I knew that this was something that I never had before. Going to the movie theater to see a movie about a gay teen as the average joe. I never thought I'd have that experience, so to actually have it... I don't even know what words to use to describe how that felt.

As for the movie? Well, without spoiling anything, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I wish I had seen a movie like this one when I was still a questioning teenager. It touches base on a fair amount of issues that I personally related to, even if they weren't exactly the same situations. There was more than one scene where I felt like "Oh, Simon, I feel you, bro" and there was definitely more than one scene that got an emotional reaction out of me. In my opinion this movie doesn't waste a single minute of its screen time.

Spoiler

After the movie my head was filled with so many thoughts. This was an incredible experience and all it took was one movie that did a good job representing someone like me.

-Tekulo

Photo

BricksCascade 2018

Posted by DeeVee in What You Want is Now, Mar 17 2018 · 171 views
MOC, Portland, Convention

Just a few more days! I built a MOC for it.

Posted Image

• 1,895 Total Blogs
  • 112,211 Total Entries
  • 551,160 Total Comments
  • ToaKumo's Blog Latest Blog
  • CommanderKumo Latest Blogger

35 user(s) are online (in the past 20 minutes)

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2), Google (1)