but more importantly i got a new camera
time to moc again
also i ahve my first real counseling appt in a week so thats dope
Jump to content
So there has been a post going around Tumblr for awhile and I think it has some things that need to be said here.
It is illegal to be gay in 76 countries.
It is illegal to be gay in 76 countries.
It is illegal to be myself in 76 countries.
First off the number 76.This comes from a UN report from 2011. If we use a bit of Google we find that the number is currently a bit higher. But the point stays the same, it is illegal for me to be myself in 76+ countries.
Many of the countries have harsh imprisonment laws among other forms of punishment such as whippings. Or worse, some countries have the death penalty.
I can be imprisoned for being myself.
I can be killed for being myself.
Even in the United States it is not safe for me to be myself, there are states such as Louisiana that have had sting operations meant to target gay adults. Not to mention there are still a lot of hate crimes. Even in New York which is a very progressive area, there were a bunch of hate crimes that cropped up earlier this year.
I will stand against homophobia and transphobia. I will stand up for equal rights. Calling someone out for being hateful and harmful is not insulting them or hurting them. A lot of their hateful words have done more harm than calling them a bigot has ever (or will ever) done to them. However by calling people out on these issues hopefully it can inspire change.
Just because someone believes something that is hurtful does not mean they will always believe it. People do have the power to change.
BZPower is going to be a safe place. In fact in order to survive I believe BZPower needs to become a safe place. So many websites and communities are not safe places on the internet. There is a lot of bulling. Bullying has led to so many people committing suicide. I don't want BZPower to be like those places, I want BZPower to be a place where everyone is accepted for who they are.
I care for the people on BZPower, many of them have helped me through so many hard times in my life. Even now I've got great friends who have helped me through things (such as Hurricane Sandy). There are so many times that I've wanted to simply give up, even recently I've been going through some huge depression regarding my situation. However, I've met so many wonderful people here and they have all impacted me in some way and it has kept me going. There have been multiple times in my life where I have been in such dark places, and I've had great friends who have pulled me out of those places.
Let's make BZPower a safe place for everyone. A place where everlasting friendships can continue to be forged. A place of love and peace.
This is just an open letter to, well, everybody, in direct response to the goings-on in the blogs currently. Please take a moment to read it.
1. I understand this is probably all overwhelming for some of you and I don't blame you for that but please don't say that we need a "change of subject." Because even if you don't want to talk about these issues, they are important and need to be tackled head-on if we want to work to make our community truly safe and family-friendly. We're finally making some real headway towards safety and equality on this site and that should not be stalled just because you don't want to read about it.
2. It's not the right of the privileged to tell the oppressed how to act or be. That's relevant both in terms of the actual oppression and in how you treat response to it.
3. Please don't confused "everyone should be treated equally" with "everyone's views are equal." We are all equal as human beings, and part of that means we all should be held equally responsible and accountable for our beliefs, words, and actions. Some beliefs are toxic. Some words and actions are harmful. These things should not be "respected" or be exempt from criticism, because they hurt people and that is wrong. Degrading a human being is wrong no matter what you believe. Criticizing and calling out toxic and harmful beliefs, actions, and words, is NOT wrong - and in fact is necessary if we are ever to move forward as a safe, peaceful, and respectful society.
All right, that's all. Thank you for reading; carry on now and please remember these three points in your continuing discourse.
Glitter and kisses,
ps: destroy the patriarchy!
Here are a few things people need to know if they are going to continue with their blogging, replying to blogs, and interactions with BZPower in general.
Because I am DONE WITH THIS.
So here's the rub:
- You do not get to "disagree" with who someone is. Someone's identity or sexuality are not up for debate. They are what they are, and you do not have the right to tell them they are wrong. And if you have the urge to do so? Congratulations, you are what's wrong.
- You do not get to insult and dehumanize someone. This should go without saying, but apparently it needs to be said.
- Tolerance DOES NOT MEAN that those who are being INTOLERANT get to say "THIS ISN'T FAIR, I'M NOT BEING TOLERATED!!". It means that those who have been VICTIMIZED, INSULTED, DEHUMANIZED, MARGINALIZED, OPPRESSED, HARASSED, BEATEN, ABUSED, EXPLOITED, and been on the receiving end of SYSTEMATIC, INSTITUTIONAL, and PERSONAL INJUSTICE are able to EXPRESS THEMSELVES EQUALLY and FAIRLY. Because THAT IS EQUALITY.
- You're a member of the majority who has been allowed to benefit and exploit others because your race/gender/orientation/religion/political preferences have been the majority view for most of modern society and feel like you're suddenly "UNDER ATTACK"? You're not losing your rights to free expression when people call you out on your impropriety, you're not being oppressed- you're being a ###### and society is finally more tolerant of others admitting it. Non-hetero-normative orientations and ideas don't oppress you. But the opposite? Yeah, heteronormative expression oppresses them. And that's BAD.
- You do not get to belittle and insult the mental health of someone. Psychiatrists are trained SCIENTISTS. Therapists are trained professionals. Not a single person on this site to my knowledge is either (I'm frustratingly close to being the latter, but it'll be a bit still). Psychology is a science. It is not some "feel-good" thing that exists to baby someone. And depression? It is a devastating and life-altering illness that deserves to be treated the same as cancer and the flu. It is an illness and just because you can't see someone bleeding, doesn't mean it's not real.
- All of this discussion WILL STOP PERMANENTLY. I am NOT saying that members who are transgendered or homosexual must stop discussing their problems with society or the hardships they face. I am saying that any discussion that centers around the legitimacy of their claims or ridiculous arguments against their "lifestyle" will no longer be even remotely tolerated. This is not a discussion that is going to happen again.
If I see anyone on this site express any of those thoughts in these blogs, from here on out, it is an automatic proto drop. I WILL send Hahli Husky or Makaru or Windrider after you. I am absolutely positively DONE with this UTTER DISRESPECTFUL NONSENSE. People deserve to feel SAFE BEING WHO THEY ARE. They do NOT DESERVE to deal with ignorance and hatred on what is supposed to be a safe place.
And once again, no, if you "disagree" with homosexuality or transgendered identities or other things, you are not being oppressed.
NOT BEING ALLOWED TO EXPRESS OPPRESIVE VIEWPOINTS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS BEING OPPRESSED. BEING DENIED THE ABILITY TO OPPRESS OTHERS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS BEING OPPRESSED. DO NOT BEGIN TO CONFLATE THE TWO. I WILL SUFFER NO MARTYR COMPLEXES.
This has been an official blog leader response.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users