• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Camera Adventures

Posted by Black Six , in BZPower, Real Life Dec 03 2012 · 765 views

camera reviews photography
I really wasn't satisfied with my recent set review pictures, they were way too dark despite me having tons of lights on and using my flash (indirectly). So I did some research and pulled out my camera's manual and learned how to adjust the shutter speed. A bit of experimentation later, and brighter pictures appeared.

The only problem is that now I have to make sure to be very still so that I don't shake the camera when I hit the shutter button. I'm doing a 0.5 second exposure so that can have a lot of impact.

So I thought to myself, 'I wonder if I can get a remote to trigger the shutter so I don't have to touch the camera?'

The short answer is no. :(

The long answer is, if I put some open-source, aftermarket firmware on my camera, it can support a remote shutter release, but I have to make the remote myself.

Needless to say, I'll be installing the firmware this week and making a trip to RadioShack on Friday.

I get to play with my soldering iron!

Couldn't you get a tripod to stabilize the camera, and reduce wiggle? Or do you need to be able to have your camera moving along rather soon after the shot, rendering my suggestion useless.

I do use a tripod, but even with that, there's a lot of force required to hit the shutter button that causes it the shake just enough sometimes (not all the time).

Ahh. I can see how that might be a problem. First time I've ever heard of a camera's shutter button being too resistant, I have to say.

Your camera wouldn't happen to have a 2-5 second timer, would it? That's what I have to do to get clear shots with long exposure times.

Your camera probably has a shutter-delay, Mandrew. That way you hit the shutter button, the camera waits like ten seconds, and then takes the picture. That's how I do everything, because most remotes only work when pointing directly at the camera front. Not very helpful for macro photography.

Well this remote would be wired and connect via the USB port, so no worries about infrared and line-of-sight.

Spoiling my DIY fun with your logic!
Logic always works as a good backup. :yes:

Just don't burn yourself with the soldering iron.

It's just a little liquid metal. No big deal!

It's just a little liquid metal. No big deal!

As long as that liquid metal doesn't hit your eye, you're good (I'm speaking from a rather unpleasant experience).

I feel like I'm having similar problems with my review pictures. I never thought to set the exposure time longer. :P

akanohi.png
Found the timer settings. I'll be sure to give that a go next time I'm taking some pictures!
Photo
Queen of Noise
Dec 04 2012 01:24 AM

allh he wanted 2 do was play w/ a soldering iron and u guys didnt let him

so sad it's so sad, im crying

Andrew, put the liquid metal into your eyes and become a robot.

(except I think you already are part robot)

Why does everyone think I'm a robot?!

B6. 

B6. 

Just because it sounds like a droid's name doesn't mean I am one?

Maybe?

Welcome To My Blog

I'm glad to see you made the trip intact.

Posted Image

Name:
Andrew
Alias:
Black Six
Staff Since:
August 6, 2001
Position:
BZPower Administrator
Forums Currently Moderated:
Bionicle RPG, LEGO RPG, News Discussion
Forums Previously Moderated:
Fan-Created Games, Promotions, Marketplace Banter, Storyline & Theories, Buy/Sell/Trade, probably some others
Other Responsibilities:
Making sure news is posted, keeping the forums running smoothly, learning the ways of server-burping.

Video Games!

Most Played Games (as of late):
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved
  • Destiny
  • Tiny Death Star
  • Plants vs Zombies 2
Currently Playing:

Posted Image

It's A Trash Can!

Posted Image

Comment Approval

Please note, due to people posting inappropriate comments in my blog in the past, I have chosen to approve all comments before they become publicly visible.

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BZPower Prize Status

Contest:
RPG Contest #18 - On hold
Library Summer Olympics - On hold
RPG Contest #19 - On hold
RPG Contest #20 - On hold
BBC Contest #61 - Sorted
RPG Contest #21 - On hold
BBC Contest #62 - On hold
Short Stories Contest #8 - On hold
RPG Contest #22 - On hold
Comics Contest #1 - On hold

Key:
Shipped! - Prizes are on their way!
Packaged - Prizes have been boxed up.
Sorted - Prizes have been separated from my stash and are ready to be packaged.
Pending - Prizes are the next to be shipped.
On hold - Prizes are waiting for other contest prizes to be shipped.

Recent Entries