Easy Makuta Powers Guide
Posted by bonesiii , Jan 08 2008 · 190 views
2008 is full of Makuta -- even the canister villains are Makuta. These masters of power have quite a lot of, well, powers. Remembering them all can be tricky, but rewarding for fun roleplaying, fan fiction writing, or even just enjoying the Bionicle story. So today the Bones Blog brings you an easy way to "decode" and memorize all the Makuta powers.
First, all modern Makuta have transcended normal life and death. This means they all:
- Exist as antidermis energy-gas inside strong Protosteel armor
- Can use mask powers, each has their own mask
- Can slowly die if armor is shattered -- gas slowly scatters so they must find another host fast
- Antidermis can control Matoran, etc.
- Don't need sleep, food
- Can absorb other beings, killing them and adding to the Makuta's mass, or absorb stuff.
- Makuta can make kraata slugs out of their substance
- Kraata come in 42 types, each with their own power
- Kraata can that infect masks and control the wearer
- Can put Kraata in energized protodermis to make Rahkshi armor for another Kraata to control like a vehicle with enhanced power and a staff to focus it
- Now, can carry Tridax Pods in their chests, with Shadow Leeches inside
- Shadow Leeches are mutant Kraata that turn Matoran into evil Shadow Matoran
- 42 can be thought of as seven groups of six, like seven Toa teams
- Each power can be roughly equated with the six elements of the Toa Mata
- Arranged counterclockwise from Ta-Wahi on Mata Nui Island, elements are:
Here's the powers, with the justifications for how I've arranged them. Note that of course many are a stretch, but the idea here is to aid memorization.
Most easily identified with Makuta. Shadow and Shapeshifting are obvious, Mind Reading and Illusion were tactics Makuta used most often in the Chronicles Books, Makuta teleported the Toa to the surface after they beat him in MNOG, and Chameleon goes with Shapeshifting.
- Darkness -- Leads all Makuta powers; fire = leader
- Shapeshifting -- Water is fluid like Makuta's shapes
- Mind Reading -- Turaga Onewa had a mind mask power
- Teleport -- Biggest stretch
- Chameleon -- Ice can be harder to spot than many things
- Illusion -- Turaga Matau had an illusion mask power
Powers of emotion and destruction, these are the six Rahkshi Makuta sent to stop the Toa of Light from coming.
- Fear -- Red Rahkshi in Mask of Light story
- Disintegration -- Blue
- Fragmentation -- Brown
- Hunger -- Black
- Anger -- White
- Poison -- Green
Still not sure why Makuta have these six elements and not the main six elements themselves, but hey.
- Electricity -- Red Bohrok Kal
- Magnetism -- Blue
- Plasma -- Brown
- Gravity -- Black
- Sonics -- White
- Vacuum -- Green
Control over, or resistance to, what is surrounding you is what makes these powers stand out.
- Fire Resistance -- Fire Toa have this
- Weather Control -- Water affects weather strongly
- Rahi Control -- Po-Koro MNOG had more visible Rahi than other Koro
- Insect Control -- Bugs and dirt mix
- Ice Resistance -- Ice Toa have this
- Plant Control -- Le-Wahi is full of plants
These are all destructive powers. All but molecular disruption are easily identified as "projectile" attacks of some sort.
- Heat Vision -- Fire's hot yo
- Chain Lightning -- Lightning hits water = bad, reminds me of a water beam
- Laser Vision -- Lasers could carve rock
- Molecular Disruption -- Similar to rock coming apart into dirt
- Power Scream -- Would shatter ice, goes with white Kal of Sonics
- Cyclone -- Duh
You are getting veeeeeery sleepy. Now you are asleeeeeeep. Now you're being infeeeeeeected.
- Stasis Field -- Vakama made Vahi; Tahu used it to put Kal in time-stasis
- Confusion -- Underwater navigation is confusing
- Slow -- Pohatu is slow without his mask power of speed.
- Sleep -- It's dark underground, like night when people sleep
- Silence -- Kopaka is silent
- Accuracy -- Projectile accuracy could be done via air currents too
These all affect the Makuta himself more so than a target, giving the Makuta a special ability, useful in battle but defensive rather than offensive.
- Limited Invulnerability -- Sorta like the Mask of Shielding
- Adaptation -- Common example is developing gills
- Density Control -- Rock is dense
- Elasticity -- Dirt can bend, as it were
- Quick Healing -- Ice can be quickly shaped or refrozen, etc.
- Dodge -- Air Toa are acrobatic, can dodge well
This content also available in topic form here.