Hello, BZP! You may remember me, but most likely not because I haven't been active on here for months and I don't actually post a bunch of MoCs like I say I will. :P My entry for the BBCC contest is the Kahu. For some reason, it's one of the most memorable things in the MNOG for me, and it's one of my favorite Rahi, so when I saw the theme for this contest I thought it would be cool to make my own version.

Entry Picture

Side

Front

Wing

Leg

Body

Head

Flying (I couldn't manage to Photoshop my hand out of this)

More Flying (and more of my hand)

Cute Bird Face

I tried to give it the somewhat frail and skeleton-ey look of the old Rahi without making it look too unfinished. I also made it look similar to the older Rahi by putting a mask on its back. Even though the Kahu wasn't one of the Rahi with infected masks, I added one because I liked the idea of the Rahi having masks. The wings aren't 'filled in' because I wanted to keep it similar the the original Kahu, which in the MNOG had kind of skeleton wings that generated lasers to fill in the gaps when it flew. That's way cooler than actual wings anyway, right? :P Lastly, my favorite part of the MoC: it has the mouth-opening function of the original Kahu model but it works with gears rather than rubber bands. :)

Comments and (constructive) criticism are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Senrab

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

Not the only Kahu entry, eh? And quite a show, too!

Love the gear functions. Really harkens to the classic look. And I love the accuracy of the bone structure on the wings. Very well done! The beak, the talons, all very nice. The only thing I would have liked to have seen is a little more colour variance. A little light blue and purple would have been cool to see. A purple Pakari, though hard to find, would have been a perfect choice.

Flaredrick, do not be discouraged! A Kahu is a fine creature to make for this contest! One I hope to see many stylings of, personally. It was always a favourite Rahi of mine.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

It's a brilliant reinterpretation with just one minor fault in my eyes. The upper half of the beak is offset by a stud from the head, and it doesn't have the same flow as the original. Other than that, I love it. The skeletal look of the wings is brilliant, and the gears (both functional and not) are really reminiscent of the sets of the early years of Bionicle.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

The gears make it look really mechanical, I like that. Maybe the wings should be bigger. Nice work!

I turned out to be exactly the grown-up I wanted to be.
A child - but with a credit card.

wsjf4.png

Kanohi upside down = epic beard.

We've all tried it, don't deny it.

Not the only Kahu entry, eh? And quite a show, too!

Love the gear functions. Really harkens to the classic look. And I love the accuracy of the bone structure on the wings. Very well done! The beak, the talons, all very nice. The only thing I would have liked to have seen is a little more colour variance. A little light blue and purple would have been cool to see. A purple Pakari, though hard to find, would have been a perfect choice.

Flaredrick, do not be discouraged! A Kahu is a fine creature to make for this contest! One I hope to see many stylings of, personally. It was always a favourite Rahi of mine.

I thought of adding more colors, but I don't think I would have had enough light blue to work with and I definitely have no purple Part of the reason I added the gears were so that it wasn't all black, but I guess black and grey isn't exactly colorful.:P

The gears make it look really mechanical, I like that. Maybe the wings should be bigger. Nice work!

Really? After I finished it I thought the wings might have been too big. Either way, I'm glad you like it!

Thanks for the replies, guys!

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

This MOC is truly impressive - although I must admit, you already pointed out all the good parts of it in the original post (so I have little to add). It looks great, and perfectly fits in with the MNOG era designs. I think the gears on the legs, however, do not compliment the work as much as those in the torso, head, and wings, because they are on the outside of the limb and not connected to other gears. Gears are needed there, no doubt, but they should be between liftarms, within the limb itself much like the first gear on the wings.

a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva