BBCC 65: Blue and Yellow Macaw

Built for the BBCC 65.

My first attempt at the theme was to make a falcon or generic bird of prey. But I figured two things; that was cliche, and something more specific was more likely to capture the crowd's attention.

So I went with a second idea, a parrot. I quickly realized that a blue and yellow macaw would be a lot more doable than the stereotypical red one, since I don't like building in mata red.

A big bonus of making a parrot, is that now I can make Monty Python references! I'll be memorizing the lines of the customer from the dead parrot sketch so that I can embarrass myself at Brickfair :D

9111958584_c0c964b7cd.jpg

Here's the reference pics I used:

http://www.adaptingeden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Macaw.jpg

http://hdwpapers.com/thumbs/blue_and_yellow_macaw_bird_flying_wallpaper-t2.jpg

Main pic (also entry pic)

Brickshelf (When Public)

Flickr set

Wonderful edited pic by Banjax (I haven't found a decent photo editing program to use, since I don't really like Gimp)

I started with the head, not entirely with the conviction to finish the model, but it came out real well. I started with the beak, so the use of the hockey foot set the whole scale for the moc. The wings were an idea in the back of my head for a while, and I just kinda repeated the idea on the tail, though I'm very proud of the layering :D I hope to pick up more blue technic at brickfair and layer the wings as well. I can't believe I actually made a moc that justifies me having both Jetraxes, which was possibly the worst decision of set buying I have ever made XD

Note how the tail folds so that it can sit on a table, or on a perch. I'm working on a perch for it, but it's a bit tough :c I'm also especially proud of the NPU of the HF cores as the eyes, to mimic the complex lines around the eye.

Interesting fact: I ended up using ZERO Bionicle parts on this moc. That wasn't intentional, but when I was done, I realized that I only used Hero Factory and Technic, and the significant Technic pieces used never appeared in any Bionicle sets! :o Well maybe you could consider the beak, but they're from hockey players :P

Also, it's pretty dang sturdy! I was whacking it around for a Monty Python Reference picture, and it didn't break at all :o

Disclaimer: Now this MOC is somewhat incomplete. He's missing a blue bohrok eye on the tail, there's a part on one side in gray that should be white, I'd like to change the orange parts to yellow, and I'm going to paint the inside of the hero cores black. I'll have pics of those later (I think I'll have to get the parts at brickfair), but as the contest states, any later modifications to the parrot will not be posted on BZP, and should not be considered in any way a modification to my entry, or a new entry. You'll just have to deal with the orange for now :P Also, if it's necessary, I can refrain from posting public pics of the changes on flickr, but I doubt rules are THAT strict!

And since I know you're all gonna ask, NO, it can not stay one my shoulder :P It would just fall off. But, I am trying to finish a full Bionicle Vegeta cosplay for brickfair, so I can build a perch into my battle armor for it :D

Hee hee my topic number is such an even number, but I envy Kopekemaster for getting topic 10000 :P

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

Now this is a flashy entry to the contest, Steve! I'm disappointed that I can't make it to Brickfair, because while I haven't seen that particular Monty Python sketch, I have heard enough about it to know that it must be hilarious to listen to in its entirety ("He's just resting!").As for your MOC, the colors compared to the real macaw are spot on. And don't sell yourself short about him missing a few pieces; I honestly can't tell the difference between his left and right sides. In fact, I love how you made his feet, and those wings are amazing. I've wanted to try long Technic beams as feathers myself, and you pulled it off flawlessly. :D The head is probably the highlight of the MOC, as it combines all those different colors so well. The beak is great and lifelike, and being all black, really looks like a single unit.Now I know you've mentioned this above, but without black painted pupils, the Hero Factory cores do seem vacant and blend in too much with the other white on the head. I know that's not your fault that it doesn't have a black center, though. :) Also, while you're at it, you might want to paint the Hero Factory chest armor all yellow, since those white patches look too robotic and detract from the otherwise all-yellow belly. And don't change the orange on him to yellow, I'd say, because the contrast looks good.It's nice to see a MOC of your here on BZPower, with bonus points added that you're going to reference Monty Python at Brickfair! Good luck in BBC #65, too!~B~

Edited by Ballom

Now this is a flashy entry to the contest, Steve! I'm disappointed that I can't make it to Brickfair, because while I haven't seen that particular Monty Python sketch, I have heard enough about it to know that it must be hilarious to listen to in its entirety ("He's just resting!").As for your MOC, the colors compared to the real macaw are spot on. And don't sell yourself short about him missing a few pieces; I honestly can't tell the difference between his left and right sides. In fact, I love how you made his feet, and those wings are amazing. I've wanted to try long Technic beams as feathers myself, and you pulled it off flawlessly. :D The head is probably the highlight of the MOC, as it combines all those different colors so well. The beak is great and lifelike, and being all black, really looks like a single unit.Now I know you've mentioned this above, but without black painted pupils, the Hero Factory cores do seem vacant and blend in too much with the other white on the head. I know that's not your fault that it doesn't have a black center, though. :) Also, while you're at it, you might want to paint the Hero Factory chest armor all yellow, since those white patches look too robotic and detract from the otherwise all-yellow belly. And don't change the orange on him to yellow, I'd say, because the contrast looks good.It's nice to see a MOC of your here on BZPower, with bonus points added that you're going to reference Monty Python at Brickfair! Good luck in BBC #65, too!~B~

Thanks dude! I'll take a pic of the finished version with the orange on it for you :P

And yeah, I was going to use nail polish remover on the chest part since that's legal in the contest, but I couldn't get the time :c

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I'm glad you guys all love it! :D

Easily one of the best entries into the contest. Earlier I figured this contest was going to come down to four things: realism, originality, detail, and great part usage, and you have all of those in this impressive MOC. I had never even thought of those wings, but they look great, some of the best in the contest. I also really like the flow of the creation and how solid it looks.Great job, good luck in the contest!

As a person who worked with this kind of bird at a pet shop I have to say this is the closest you get to making this bird out of Bionicle pieces. I love the wings and the fact that the tail adjusts. That is epic!

"There was no way that was an ordinary Toa, no Toa killed like this. No Toa fought so mercilessly. This hooded thing had single handedly killed hundreds of his Rahkshi children with twin gleaming swords. No that was no Toa.... that thing was Death himself....

Last thoughts of an unknown Makuta on Toa Erebus

• 1 month later...

As a person who worked with this kind of bird at a pet shop I have to say this is the closest you get to making this bird out of Bionicle pieces. I love the wings and the fact that the tail adjusts. That is epic!

Thanks! That's like the best compliment I can get, coming from somebody with experience like that :)