Makuta Repair

BS01 says that Makuta aren't capable of shapeshifting to repair their armor. So how could a Makuta repair his armor if it was damaged? Also, could a Makuta get another set of armor capable of using all his powers?

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Makuta can possess anything that moves on its own and it essentially just a container, versus a living being. So robots, Rahkshi armor, a jug with the legs of a puppet, you name it. Or Makuta armor but made of wood, other metals besides protosteel, purified protodermis, stone, or hypothetically even ice. Any container that doesn't have a spirit already inhabiting it.

Re: armor healing -- I'm not sure it is literally true that they cannot at all use the power to heal damage to their armor including leaks. I'd kinda like to see a Greg quote on that out of curiosity, before I take that as certain. What makes logical sense is that 1) they definitely couldn't do it quickly, since their shapeshifting is slow, and 2) the fact that the leak makes antidermis flow out presumably means that the Makuta becomes too unstable to use powers (I'm less sure about this part, but that's my understanding).

However, I would think that if they could just get something to block off the hole, they might be able to shapeshift around the something and then shapeshift again to kick the temporary patch out.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

BS01 says that Makuta aren't capable of shapeshifting to repair their armor.

I was unaware of this, but to clarify: they can still shapeshift, but it won't repair them, right? (For example, if I was a Makuta and got a tear in my right shoulder armor, I could shapeshift my armor to the shape of a Rahi, but I'd still have a gash in my right shoulder or something...)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I'd assume the injury would still be present. I suppose it depends on the type of form they subsequently take. For example, if a Makuta's arm was severed, and they then shapeshifted into a form that has no limbs, I imagine the injury would simply relocate to another part of the Makuta's body. Or if a Makuta had four arms, had one of the arms severed and then altered into a two-armed form, then one of arms would be severed.

Still, I don't think we have enough information on this topic to provide a definitive answer, so my hypothesis might just be guesswork.

Edited by Mersery

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

So, what makes it so a Makuta can use all his powers in his protosteel armor but not in another body? If a Makuta possessed that jar with puppet legs, and it was made of protosteel, would he be able to use all his powers as if it were his own armor?

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

So, what makes it so a Makuta can use all his powers in his protosteel armor but not in another body? If a Makuta possessed that jar with puppet legs, and it was made of protosteel, would he be able to use all his powers as if it were his own armor?

If the Nynrah Ghosts make the jar yeah I think its possible. I think the point is much like prodermis undergoes certain processes to make it into a mask similarly the protostell is treated by the Nynrah Ghosts to create "special armor".

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

The only thing the Nynrah Ghosts did was to optimize the armor to be best suited for shapeshifting and containing the Makuta's new gaseous form. Makuta can still shapeshift in other forms, it just takes experience and a material that can actually be manipulated in the first place.

I think the only problem with shapeshifting to repair damage is what, exactly, was damaged. An injury usually means losing mass, and it shifts away the antidermis behind the wound. Since the antidermis is the Makuta and the Makuta is the one using the power, it may well require the antidermis to be in close contact with the part that should shapeshift. Thus Chirox could not shapeshift a new arm for his borrowed Exo-Toa body because there simply was no arm anymore, and he'd require absorbed energy or material to be able to form a new one. The destabilized cloud floating where the arm once was would not be enough to fix the damage.

If he had access to scrap metal, I find it likely he could slap that across the hole, weld it shut with plasma or something, and then be able to shapeshift the new part properly. Otherwise he'd shapeshift with a damaged suit, and be unable to patch the hole even by doing so.

The blinded Makuta probably had similar problems. They got blinded by having their eye parts fried by intense light, and ever after that the 'eye' material available to them would be damaged no matter which form they took. The easiest solution right then was to grab Matoran to see for them, until they could afford to absorb beings with the material needed to get new eyes. Eyes - even purely mechanical ones - usually have complex components, which explains why not any form of shapeshifting or mass absorption would be able to regenerate lost sight.

Edited by Katuko

They must have SOME way to repair armour. I mean, Teridax got a leak in Time Trap, and it's assumed he fixed that. The exact line suggests that you don't need to be a Nynrah Ghost to fix it, but you do need time.

His Kanohi mask and armor kept his dark energies in place. With his breastplate damaged, precious power was slipping away from him. But there was no time to make repairs, not with Vakama on the loose with the Mask of Time.

Maybe they use their laser/heat vision or something? Weld the two sides back together?

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

6. I asked you the following question a while ago:

2. Can Makuta repair their armour? I ask because Teridax had his armour damaged by TSO in Time Trap, yet presumably did not survive the next 1000 years with a huge hole in his chest plate.2) TSO’s attack on Teridax did not cause holes in the armor, so it wasn’t an issue
However in Time Trap it says:

The breastplate of his armour was damaged and greenish black energy was leeching out of him.
It was evidently damaged enough for his energy to escape, so he must have had it repaired somehow.

6) They can’t do a full-scale repair, best they can do is a temporary patch with materials at hand.

1. Can a Makuta repair his own armor if he has the right tool?

2. Can a being of Iron make Icarax’s armor able to fit him?

1) No

2) Yes

11) How fast do Makuta shapeshift?

11) Very fast.

Sorry, out of time for now. *will keep searching*

2) Could the canister Phantoka Makuta shapeshift into something that can see?

2) No

2)could a makuta shapeshift his armor to cover a hole, cover not fix?

2)If you cover a hole, you basically have fixed it, haven’t you? It’s no longer a hole.

Edited by fishers64

11) How fast do Makuta shapeshift?

11) Very fast.

Lol wut?

I was sure he said it was fairly slow, and used that to explain why we've never seen it happen fast and why it took a long time for Makuta to take the 2003 form after his defeat by the Toa.

Of course, "very fast" is relative... But I've made this a plot point in my history retelling (although not unchangeable), so yeah... I had in mind a few minutes, maybe a minute at minimum. As opposed to essentially instant.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The physical shapeshifting seen by Dume!Makuta and the visual shapeshifting by Matau in LoMN both take less than a minute, but still around of 5 seconds. That qualifies for both "fast" and "slow" in my view, depending on the situation. Also see my above post on my theory of how it works.

I don't think Matau's shapeshifting is related, though. That's a side power of a Mask of Illusion, and we're talking about a Makuta power that doesn't include Illusion as part of it.

Maybe Makuta just didn't feel like shapeshifting much until the end of the last Kal animation. :shrugs: He still had to release Bohrok to give the Rahkshi time to grow, so I guess it doesn't matter there.

Five seconds seems reasonable, so that they wouldn't want to do it all the time. Maybe it has a cost of something like life energy too so it would be "tiring" to do it more quickly, so usually they prefer to do it slowly. Dumakuta got a massive infusion of energy from the Coliseum after all.

Edited by bonesiii

I don't think Matau's shapeshifting is related, though. That's a side power of a Mask of Illusion, and we're talking about a Makuta power that doesn't include Illusion as part of it.

I don't know much about BIONICLE physics, but constructing a hologram from a mask's energies may very well take the same amount of time as it takes to move matter into a new shape via some energy mid-stage.

Maybe Makuta just didn't feel like shapeshifting much until the end of the last Kal animation. :shrugs: He still had to release Bohrok to give the Rahkshi time to grow, so I guess it doesn't matter there.

I always got the impression that while he was at least slightly hurt by the Toa Mata's elemental attacks, even if he faked his defeat. Immediately before the battle he took the form of a Matoran, with the rest of his mass stored in the swirling vortex. It fell apart in the aftermath, so it might well be that Makuta's antidermis left it at that moment. He would then spend some time on re-absorbing each part into his being, and maybe even more time on pondering just what form he should take for what was coming up.

Five seconds seems reasonable, so that they wouldn't want to do it all the time. Maybe it has a cost of something like life energy too so it would be "tiring" to do it more quickly, so usually they prefer to do it slowly. Dumakuta got a massive infusion of energy from the Coliseum after all.

Shapeshifting would likely take some amount of energy, though the limit is mostly in the size of the resulting form. Shifting to a smaller form forces a loss in mass and energy supply, which is why Makuta had to grab the Dark Hunters to grow quickly (with wings to spare) at the end of LoMN. I doubt that shapeshifting Makuta always shift into something exactly their size, so some energy is likely wasted here and there. That, and the few seconds it takes for a new limb to form could be enough for an opponent to blast it clean off.Maybe most anime and comic books make people stand around and talk for the twenty minutes it takes for someone to power up, but I see BIONICLE as the kind of series where things either happens too quickly to react (laser beams), or someone else will try to interfere (Icarax got killed by an interrupted teleport, and those are usually darn quick).Then again, the few times someone punches a powering-up dude in the face in Dragonball it ends badly for them anyways. No word on what would happen if you punch a shapeshifting Makuta in the shapeshifting parts, though. Would it bounce off due to the energy? Would it hurt the attacker for sticking his hand in shapeshifting matter? Would it hurt the Makuta for destabilizing the shapeshifting part?

11) How fast do Makuta shapeshift?11) Very fast.

Lol wut? I was sure he said it was fairly slow, and used that to explain why we've never seen it happen fast and why it took a long time for Makuta to take the 2003 form after his defeat by the Toa. Of course, "very fast" is relative... But I've made this a plot point in my history retelling (although not unchangeable), so yeah... I had in mind a few minutes, maybe a minute at minimum. As opposed to essentially instant.

Context: QUOTE(The Shadow Makuta, Mar 7 2008, 09:08 PM)

1) Can Shadow Leeches drain the light out of Avohkii?2) Can Avohkii restore the light to Takanuva?3) Do Shadow Leeches have limit to drain the light? If yes, please answer a), , c) and d)a ) How many Shadow Leeches do they use to drain all light out of Takanuva?b ) How many Shadow Leeches do they use to drain all light out of an Av-Matoran?c ) How many Shadow Leeches do they use to drain all light out of a non-Av Matoran?d ) How many Shadow Leeches do they use to drain all light out of a Toa?4) If Makuta possesses Bohrok or Rahkshi shell, can he use their powers?5) Do Kanohi powers have limit?6) Can Vezok absorb all Makuta’s powers or just only one power?7) Can Makuta use Shapeshift (or Elasticity?) power to make his armor bigger by make it thinner (like inflate the balloon)?

1) No. SL’s drain the light from living beings, not objects.2) No3) One shadow leech can do any of things you listed4) It’s doubtful this would work. Rahkshi are not robots, they’re just armor, and without a kraata to make them move, they are inert. Bohrok are pretty much the same, they aren’t really robots, just artificial life. Makuta can possess a robot body or a living body that has no spirit in it.5) Yes. They are limited in duration and they are limited by the willpower of their user, for two things.6) I doubt if Vezok could handle absorbing 42 powers. Krahka collapsed from six Toa powers.7) Interesting question, I would have to think about it.

1) Is Makuta’s wings the part of their armors?a ) If yes, can Makuta fly without wings? Because I can’t see what’s different. They fly without flapping wings so their wings are just plain wing-shape board, aren’t they?b ) If no, what are they?2) Makuta can fly If they have wings no matter what size or shaped are their wings, can’t they?3) Can Makuta take out the absorbed mass?4) Can Makuta absorb mass from another Makuta?5) Can Makuta and armor shapeshift themself into liquid fluid or gas?6) Are all kind of Protodermis the metal?7) Can Makuta seal hole or crack on their armors by shapeshifting?8) Are there anybody that can create new Makuta’s armor? If yes, who?

1) Yes1a) They could use their control of gravity to move them through the air, yes2) Yes3) No4) Not without actually drawing the other Makuta inside him.5) No6) No, there is also organic protodermis, rock-like protodermis, wood-like protodermis, etc.7) No8) Artakha

1) Does whole Toa Ignika have spirit or he’s spiritless body?2) Is there anyone that know how to create new Makuta? If yes, who?3) What did the other Inika do to force Makuta out of Matoro?4) Are there any beings that have Toa’s energy (can make Matoran become Toa)? If yes, who (or what)?5) Are there any beings that can become Toa (except the Matorans)? If yes, who (or what)?6) Energized Protodermis can destroy Antidermis, and Antidermis is Makuta’s essence. So Energized Protodermis can kill Makuta, can’t it?6a) If yes, why MOMN didn’t die after fell in Energized Protodermis?6b) If no, what will happen?7) Can Ignika bring inanimate Kanohi masks to life?7a) If yes, do "alive" masks have "mind of their owns"?7b) If yes, can "alive" masks use their powers?7c) If no, why not?8) Can Sanok be used with user’s armor to make the user fly toward something and vice versa?9) Can Sanok be used with an air to create a wind and vice versa?10) Can Sanok’s user control how fast does inanimate object hit target?11) How fast do Makuta shapeshift?Thanks very much

1) It depends on whether you think the Ignika is alive or not. But if you tried to possess the Ignika’s body, thus overriding the mask’s will, the body would simply disintegrate.2) Mata Nui3) They threatened to kill Matoro’s body4) No5) No6) Because energized protodermis does one of two things -- it transforms you or destroys you. When Takanuva and Makuta fell into the EP, they were destined to be transformed by it into Takutanuva, so that is what happened. If they hadn’t been destined to transform, they both would have died.7) The Ignika cannot give something a mind or a consciousness, and without that, an inanimate object, even if alive, cannot move or act. So answer’s no. No other mask has a consciousness besides the Ignika8-10) No. Sanok is a mask of accuracy, not a mask of telekinesis, it can’t make you move or affect air. What it can do is make sure you hit what you are aiming at when you throw something.11) Very fast.

Sorry for disturbing you again.1) If Makuta can’t take out the absorbed mass, how can Makuta shapeshift into smaller form?2) If Makuta create Kraata, will their essence decrease?2a ) If yes, can Makuta control how much do their essence decrease?3) Can Makuta absorb Kraata back into their essence?3a ) If yes, can Makuta spread their essence into multiply Kraata, then gather Kraata into their essence again?4) Is Shadow form of Makuta the result of his shadow power?4a ) If yes, how can it speak? It’s only a shadow.4b ) If no, what is it?5) If Shadow Leeches can’t drain the light out of Avohkii, why do Avohkii turn black?6) Will Takanuva bring any objects from Pocket Dimension out? If yes, what is it?7) Is Zone of Darkness in Matoran universe?

1) Obviously the mass is shunted off somewhere else when they shrink, the same way it is when a Toa uses a Mask of Shrinking2) Temporarily3) Yes4) I don’t understand your question5) Because they drained it out of the wearer and the mask is reflecting that, same as his armor is6) Follow the story and find out7) Zone of Darkness is a pocket dimension

1) Will Mata Nui die if Ignika turn black? Or Ignika turn black because of Mata Nui’s death?2) According to the all Makuta powers, Makuta can stop or even destroy Toa Nuva easily. Why don’t they do it?3) Makuta can’t shapeshift themselves into gas, then what is the shadow form? Because it seem to be cloud-like appearance.4) Can Makuta teleport someone to somewhere else without being together?5) Can Makuta use powers of possessed body?6) What is Toa Ignika’s Nuva Blast effect?7) Is Takutanuva anatomy like Takanuva (organic and mechanical) or Makuta (energy in armor)?8) Is Grvity power similar to Telekinesis power? Because it seem to be used to move objects.9) How long does Makuta’s Stasis Field last?10) Makuta can wear Avokii and use its power, right? But they just don’t want to.11) How can shadow be used to transport oneself? It’s in BIONICLEsector01 Wiki.Thanks

1) Mata Nui will die if the current life in the universe dies off and no new life replaces it. If new life replaces it, he will not die. If Mata Nui died, Ignika would not turn black and kill everyone, there would be no need -- if Mata Nui is dead, everyone in the universe will die anyway.2) Good question. Stop and think -- the Toa Nuva are there to awaken Mata Nui. Why would the Makuta NOT want to stop them?3) That is their natural energy form. The shapeshifting is done using their armor, the energy always stays the same.4) Probably5) If it is a robot body, yes. If it is a living body, no6) Pretty much the same as what you would get if you shattered the Mask of Life -- everything -- EVERYTHING, rays of light, rocks, equipment, armor -- would come to life.7) No idea8) Well, with gravity, you either make things heavier or lighter, so that is pretty much what you would do with it, move things.9) As long as he concentrates on it10) It would be like a flame creature using a fire hose11) I would need to know what they are referring to, because I don’t recall that off the top of my head.

So yeah, that's in 2008. I also bolded a few more answers that I think are somewhat relevant here yonder.

*keeps searching*

1)how often can a makuta shapeshift like do they need to wait a little while after shapeshifting to do it again?

1) You can't do it immediately after, because it expends energy doing it

8. Can the Nynrah Ghosts make Makuta armor or Adaptive Armor, or can only Artakha do that?

8) Makuta armor, yes, adaptive armor no

That's all I've got. It appears that only Artahka or the Nynrah Ghosts can build/modify/repair Makuta armor. It has properties that allow it to shapeshift. I did not find a Greg quote to back the Baron's assertion, however. It could have been Dataclysm-wiped :shrugs:.

1)how often can a makuta shapeshift like do they need to wait a little while after shapeshifting to do it again?

1) You can't do it immediately after, because it expends energy doing it

Ah, I think this one solves the 2003 issue and also will suffice for purposes of my story, more or less. Maybe he had taken the Matoran form very recently and/or was out of energy after the battle and had to wait a while to recharge.

Thanks for all the digging!

Do we have an estimate for how long it took between the release of the Bohrok till the Rahkshi arrived? Certainly only a few months at the most - since the Toa only stayed on the island for around a year, I believe - but the rebuilding after the Bohrok strike probably took at least a week or two.

You're welcome. It just looks like more because I've been having technical difficulties and so I've just been posting everything instead of using Notepad like usual. :P (Really, this sort of stuff isn't so hard...)

Do we have an estimate for how long it took between the release of the Bohrok till the Rahkshi arrived? Certainly only a few months at the most - since the Toa only stayed on the island for around a year, I believe - but the rebuilding after the Bohrok strike probably took at least a week or two.

The short answer is no.

18.) How much time is there between the Matoran arriving on Mata Nui and when Makuta does his Spell of Shadows thingamabob? Between Makuta coming and the Toa landing? Between the Toa landing and Makuta's first defeat? Between the Bohrok awakening and the Bahrag's defeat? Between the Bahrag's defeat and the Kal's defeat? Between the Kal's defeat and the Mask of Light? 18) A thousand years goes by between when the Matoran first arrive on Mata Nui and when the Toa (Tahu, etc.) arrive. Makuta was basically a factor from day one of their getting there. Rest of it I really don't nail down times for, because that is the sort of thing that winds up getting contradicted later.

But it's verified. I think your guesstimate is probably accurate, however.

Makuta can possess anything that moves on its own and it essentially just a container, versus a living being. So robots, Rahkshi armor, a jug with the legs of a puppet, you name it. Or Makuta armor but made of wood, other metals besides protosteel, purified protodermis, stone, or hypothetically even ice. Any container that doesn't have a spirit already inhabiting it.

Does it have to be able to move? Like, could a makuta possess any container (peanutbutter jar, for example), or does it have to be motile?

I think the only problem with shapeshifting to repair damage is what, exactly, was damaged. An injury usually means losing mass, and it shifts away the antidermis behind the wound. Since the antidermis is the Makuta and the Makuta is the one using the power, it may well require the antidermis to be in close contact with the part that should shapeshift.

Couldn't a makuta just shape shift into the same form, but smaller to accommodate

that loss of mass?

Does it have to be able to move?

No, it doesn't -- I meant that any container that can move and meets the other requirement (not having a soul) would work. Sorry, not the best wording. We saw him contained in a mere vat in 2006. So that's a yes to the peanutbutter jar. (Equivalent. :P)

Couldn't a makuta just shape shift into the same form, but smaller to accommodate

that loss of mass?

Assuming they can shapeshift while leaking, yes (but do we know that? I suspect they'd have to patch it first). But if I'm understanding you right, that wouldn't fix the leak, so they'd still be in trouble.

Since Greg has said they cannot repair damage by shapeshifting, I take it to mean that the part that got damaged cannot be shapeshifted properly due to a lack of material and contact with the antidermis/power flow.On the other hand, he said he would have to "think about" a Makuta moving mass from another part of their body to patch the injury that way with shapeshifting, so we don't really know. Given the answers so far, I'd assume they would have to apply the patch first, so that there was no destabilizing leak any more.

Edited by Katuko

Are we forgetting about the quick healing Makuta power? Or does that not apply to armor?

As said above, it seems more like they can't use powers when in a loose antidermis state, and just one leak seems to do that (whether entirely or just over that spot). So no power would help (if this is correct).

Yes, shapeshifting is a power too.

Assuming we're correct that leaks make powers stop working, pretty much all they could do is move around like you and I do. So they'd have to patch it like how we would use a bandaid (or more like how you'd patch a leaky metal boat, probably, by welding on a metal plate... except welding would be dangerous since antidermis can burn so I guess they'd have to glue it).

Are we forgetting about the quick healing Makuta power? Or does that not apply to armor?

I can't be bothered to dig up the quote right now, but Greg has said that Quick Healing only applies to organic material. You would need a Kiril-equivalent (Regeneration) or metal powers to reconstruct damaged armor. Shapeshifting can allow the Makuta to change its armor, but since Greg has also said that a leak cannot be patched just by shapeshifting we have taken it to mean that the leak prevents the shapeshifting power from taking effect in that area. Edited by Katuko

So a Makuta using a Mask of Regeneration would be pretty dangerous?

EDIT: Couldn't find your quote, Katuko.

3) Another thing I'm confused about, why can't the Phantoka Makuta use their quick healing ability to regain their sight? Or is it just that the damage to their eyes was too extensive to be repaired?

3) It's sort of like saying why can't a good carpenter just fix a building that's burned to ashes. There's nothing to heal, there's no place to start, it's just gone.

That might explain it, though.

Edited by fishers64

So a Makuta using a Mask of Regeneration would be pretty dangerous?

EDIT: Couldn't find your quote, Katuko.

3) Another thing I'm confused about, why can't the Phantoka Makuta use their quick healing ability to regain their sight? Or is it just that the damage to their eyes was too extensive to be repaired?

3) It's sort of like saying why can't a good carpenter just fix a building that's burned to ashes. There's nothing to heal, there's no place to start, it's just gone.

I don't think it does -- their "eyes" were a nebulous region of gaseous antidermis that did the job of sight without having the shape of eyes -- I guess it just remained hovering in the right spot and glowed like normal Bionicle eyes. Destroying just that portion of antidermis would remove the option of sight, but a leak would usually let out "just any" antidermis.

Re: Mask of Regeneration, unless they also lose access to mask powers. I dunno. By the way, even the theory that they only lose use of powers over the spot of the leak might not be enough, because wouldn't that imply they could still fire their powers as a beam out their hands, and simply aim the beam at the leak and patch it that way?

So it may be that once any leak appears, the gas as a whole is knocked out of stability for using any powers, and that might include mask powers (but maybe not). I would lean at least toward them being totally unable to use Kraata powers until it's patched some other way.

Well, if I was a Makuta, then I would somehow keep a spare suit of armor nearby. (I suppose this would be easier if there was either a Makuta base or a lab nearby, like Mutran's.) I suppose this isn't very practical, though, given the fact that Makuta can (could) be reassigned at almost any time. Wait, didn't Teridax use mind control or something of the like on the Piraka when they were in Mangaia? Or does that also not count as a power? I don't think it's a Kraata power...

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

So a Makuta using a Mask of Regeneration would be pretty dangerous? EDIT: Couldn't find your quote, Katuko.

I don't think it does -- their "eyes" were a nebulous region of gaseous antidermis that did the job of sight without having the shape of eyes -- I guess it just remained hovering in the right spot and glowed like normal Bionicle eyes. Destroying just that portion of antidermis would remove the option of sight, but a leak would usually let out "just any" antidermis. Re: Mask of Regeneration, unless they also lose access to mask powers. I dunno. By the way, even the theory that they only lose use of powers over the spot of the leak might not be enough, because wouldn't that imply they could still fire their powers as a beam out their hands, and simply aim the beam at the leak and patch it that way? So it may be that once any leak appears, the gas as a whole is knocked out of stability for using any powers, and that might include mask powers (but maybe not). I would lean at least toward them being totally unable to use Kraata powers until it's patched some other way.
If it destabilizes the gas to the point that no powers can be used, that would explain why Teridax didn't use his telepathy on Vakama at the end of Time Trap. :shrugs: Also I was kinda thinking that a Makuta could have used a Mask of Regeneration on another Makuta with broken armor and fix it. That way they wouldn't have to call the Nynrah Ghosts.

Well, if I was a Makuta, then I would somehow keep a spare suit of armor nearby. (I suppose this would be easier if there was either a Makuta base or a lab nearby, like Mutran's.) I suppose this isn't very practical, though, given the fact that Makuta can (could) be reassigned at almost any time. Wait, didn't Teridax use mind control or something of the like on the Piraka when they were in Mangaia? Or does that also not count as a power? I don't think it's a Kraata power...

Does gaseous antidermis speak? I think it was a faint whisper. Later I remember Makuta's gaseous form talking to the Toa Hagah when it was in the Core Processor, and there's no mention of speakers there. Zaktan talked to him later, so I think he might have been able to see, hear, smell, talk, etc, just not use powers.

If it destabilizes the gas to the point that no powers can be used, that would explain why Teridax didn't use his telepathy on Vakama at the end of Time Trap. :shrugs:

Hmmm... good thing you bring that up though, because moments later he does use teleportation on him. Maybe "total destabilization" debunked?

And yeah, pretty sure whatever Makuta did when he met the Piraka was not mind control. It wasn't just speaking; it was definitely mental, but not quite control (not that it matters; either way I'd consider that a power of sorts). I think it was just putting an idea in their heads, knowing their personalities would make them want to do what the Makuta needed them to do with it.

If it destabilizes the gas to the point that no powers can be used, that would explain why Teridax didn't use his telepathy on Vakama at the end of Time Trap. :shrugs:

Hmmm... good thing you bring that up though, because moments later he does use teleportation on him. Maybe "total destabilization" debunked? And yeah, pretty sure whatever Makuta did when he met the Piraka was not mind control. It wasn't just speaking; it was definitely mental, but not quite control (not that it matters; either way I'd consider that a power of sorts). I think it was just putting an idea in their heads, knowing their personalities would make them want to do what the Makuta needed them to do with it.
Yes, I would consider that debunked. I'm of the opinion that it depends on the mental abilities of each individual Makuta - it takes a certain amount of concentration to hold your antidermis form together, and a certain amount to use powers, and if you have enough concentration for both you can use powers while in that form. Teridax, being the mastermind he was, could probably do that. Although that might explain why he didn't think to use telepathy. :shrugs: Teleportation might have been easier to use after the tension and stuff wore off. (And I'm getting off topic.)Plus the Time Trap leak was smaller than the Piraka thing. His use of the telepathy there is very minor, not a control or big use of mental resources. Edited by fishers64

Re: Mask of Regeneration, unless they also lose access to mask powers. I dunno. By the way, even the theory that they only lose use of powers over the spot of the leak might not be enough, because wouldn't that imply they could still fire their powers as a beam out their hands, and simply aim the beam at the leak and patch it that way?

They don't have any powers that directly fix armor, but I don't see why a breached container would make the entire Makuta instantly crippled. Wounded and "bleeding", though, yes. I see it as perfectly reasonable that a damaged Makuta may try to use Magnetism to fetch nearby scrap metal and then Heat Vision to weld it over the gap.Considering they can apparently shapeshift too while damaged, they just can't heal the broken part by doing so.