Out of the Darkness (The Toa of Light)

Reznas

Alright, so, here's my entry to for the "Titans and Monsters Contest". The title, as you've already seen, is "Out of the Darkness (The Toa of Light).

thumbnail_album.png_thumb.jpg

^Link^

Imagine the Toa of Light versus Makuta, a battle of life and death, and light and shadow. That is the main inspiration I had with this piece.

Hope you enjoy! Comments and Constructive Criticism is always appreciated.

-Rez

Edited by -Reznas-

I'm not really sure what to think of this one, except that the contrast between the techno beat and the smooth orchestra portion is very noticable, especially at the end. This can be a bit jarring and sudden.I liked each of the individual sections, though.

I personally feel like it's a nice addition. And adding in a beat like that when tension builds up is common in orchestral music. And the beat isn't actually techno. Heck, techno drum sets don't even have most of the drums I used in that beat. :P (Besides the snare)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Rez

Edited by -Reznas-

I'm not really sure what to think of this one, except that the contrast between the techno beat and the smooth orchestra portion is very noticable, especially at the end. This can be a bit jarring and sudden.I liked each of the individual sections, though.

I personally feel like it's a nice addition. And adding in a beat like that when tension builds up is common in orchestral music. And the beat isn't actually techno. Heck, techno drum sets don't even have most of the drums I used in that beat. :P (Besides the snare)

Thanks for the feedback!

-Rez

I see that my subpar music knowledge has failed me yet again. :P But alas, at 1 minute, and then at 3.22 when you cut to the drums, it sounds like electronic sounds (technoish) to me. Although listening on a computer now with better sound it's a bit less jarring because I can hear the drums under the other parts. :shrugs:

I love this. The beginning sounds pretty emotional and brings a saddening feeling, towards the middle, you have a very abrupt change of types of music, which sounds a bit weird. If you try merging the two styles and fading out the emotional part as you transition it might sound better. Towards the end of the middle, you bring in a scary-ish vibe, which I presume is the Makuta making his appearance, shortly afterwards, you fade back into the emotional section which is very well done. And towards the end you make it seem intense which works well with the timeline.

So, in a nutshell, nicely done.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Some pretty haunting harmonies here, man. What is the chord progression that starts around 1:19? Love the bits with the violin and flute playing together. The textures seem pretty spot on, though I'd love to hear some thicker ones. I'm not sure I can hear any woodwinds in there, even on my ridiculous audio setup. Did you try working with them?

I love this. The beginning sounds pretty emotional and brings a saddening feeling, towards the middle, you have a very abrupt change of types of music, which sounds a bit weird. If you try merging the two styles and fading out the emotional part as you transition it might sound better. Towards the end of the middle, you bring in a scary-ish vibe, which I presume is the Makuta making his appearance, shortly afterwards, you fade back into the emotional section which is very well done. And towards the end you make it seem intense which works well with the timeline. So, in a nutshell, nicely done.

Well, thanks! :D Yeah, I can see it seemed a bit abrupt, but when changing from light to dark, things are very abrupt. You're right, in that middle, darker section, Makuta does appear. But then light returns, and overcomes it again.

Some pretty haunting harmonies here, man. What is the chord progression that starts around 1:19? Love the bits with the violin and flute playing together. The textures seem pretty spot on, though I'd love to hear some thicker ones. I'm not sure I can hear any woodwinds in there, even on my ridiculous audio setup. Did you try working with them?

Glad you found them haunting. That's what I was getting at. 1:19? It goes Gm-D/F#-Ebm7. Then Gm-D/F#-F-C/E-Cm/Eb-C/E-F-D/F#. No, woodwind sadly. :( Forgot to add that in. -Rez

Edited by -Reznas-