Biorena - W.I.P.

Bitl

This thread is outdated. If you want to play the latest version of the game, go to the latest thread here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/11094-biorena/

biorena_logo.png

Please note that this game is W.I.P, and some things may change when the game is finished. The finished game is aimed to release around 2014.

Hello. I am bitl. Last week I decided to work on a game mainly based on Bionicle. Originally it was going to be a fast-paced multiplayer shooter, but then I decided to try something different. a game that I have not really seen anyone make based on Bionicle: a horde mode game with waves upon waves of enemies. After a week in development, hopefully it will be worth the wait. And I hope to improve this game in the future with improvements to make the game better.

Screenshots:

biorena_screenshot100.png

biorena_screenshot101.png

biorena_screenshot102.png

biorena_screenshot105.png

Download (latest):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81688479/Biorena/game/Biorena_demo_3.zip

Old versions:

Controls:
Left Click: Fire gun.
Right Click: Deploy shield.
F6: Change Player Name
F7: Change Toa (Type in name of toa)
W: Jump/Uncrouch
A: Move Left
D: Move Right
Ctrl: Crouch

Credits:

Bitl (me) for creating the game and some sprites.
InnerRayg for the sprites used/modified in Biorena.
YoYo Games for Game Maker 8.0.

Other stuff:

I used GoudyTrajan for the font used for the player's HUD. If you don't know, it is a font similar to the one used in the Bionicle logo.

Coming soon:

-A boss which spawns every 10 waves (Makuta)
-A new enemy type (Rahkshi)
-An auto updater
-And more!

I hope you guys enjoy the game as it is now, and I hope to release updates in the future.   :)
Edited by Bitl

biorena_logo_v2.png

I was a LEGO Universe Closed Beta Tester!

This is a really cool idea. I had fun with the demo, and I liked how you could change your name and switch between Toa. Looks like you have a good foundation for the gameplay. The controls were pretty smooth and I didn't run into any glitches or things like that. The level design is basic, but that's to be expected for the first demo. The next demo would be even more fun if you added some terrain for the players to take cover behind. Maybe consider making the size of the bullets larger too. They were hard for me to dodge because I could barely see them.

Overall, I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing the next release. :)

This is a really cool idea. I had fun with the demo, and I liked how you could change your name and switch between Toa. Looks like you have a good foundation for the gameplay. The controls were pretty smooth and I didn't run into any glitches or things like that. The level design is basic, but that's to be expected for the first demo. The next demo would be even more fun if you added some terrain for the players to take cover behind. Maybe consider making the size of the bullets larger too. They were hard for me to dodge because I could barely see them.

Overall, I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing the next release. :)

Thanks!

biorena_logo_v2.png

It's nice to see that you have different enemies and such, though, even though they all have the same shooting code at the moment. I'd like to see a bit slower fire on the weapon, to make dodging actually viable. Without any special ability like dodge or shield, it's impossible to avoid getting hit by a never-ending stream of bullets. The only way to survive was to hide behind my partner, who thankfully respawned. It felt slightly counter-intuitive to have my partner die as a meatshield rather than try to protect him so he could shoot things.The wave timer is probably better off on the HUD than floating next to the wave spawn point, as I didn't notice it until at least two waves had passed. Similarly, the info about players should probably be condensed into a smaller font or something, as your screenshots illustrate the problem of them overlapping and being unreadable.You should probably add a walking animation too, so that people don't just float across the ground.Criticism aside, it's a good start for a shooter. Looking forward to seeing updates. :)

It's nice to see that you have different enemies and such, though, even though they all have the same shooting code at the moment. I'd like to see a bit slower fire on the weapon, to make dodging actually viable. Without any special ability like dodge or shield, it's impossible to avoid getting hit by a never-ending stream of bullets. The only way to survive was to hide behind my partner, who thankfully respawned. It felt slightly counter-intuitive to have my partner die as a meatshield rather than try to protect him so he could shoot things.The wave timer is probably better off on the HUD than floating next to the wave spawn point, as I didn't notice it until at least two waves had passed. Similarly, the info about players should probably be condensed into a smaller font or something, as your screenshots illustrate the problem of them overlapping and being unreadable.You should probably add a walking animation too, so that people don't just float across the ground.Criticism aside, it's a good start for a shooter. Looking forward to seeing updates. :)

Thanks! I'll do the best I can to add these. It's quite difficult to add walking animations at this time, since the actual walking animation sprites on Rayg's kit (1.0) don't really work that well in you import them into game maker. I'll try this time, so there may be a possibility. Shields or something you can defend yourself with will be added in the future.

Crouching is added into the game currently. You can crouch with the "CTRL" keys, and you uncrouch by jumping (W).

In the meantime:

A CHALLENGER APPROCHES (next update):

biorena_screenshot106.png

Edited by Bitl

biorena_logo_v2.png

Update is released!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81688479/Biorena/game/Biorena_Demo_2.zip

CHANGELOG: DEMO 2:
- Fixed hp boost timer bug after the 11th wave.
- The game now restarts after the 11th wave.
- Added a crouching system for the player.
- Changed demo level design to go with the crouching system.
- The SMG fire rate is now slightly slower.
- Changed the game's font.
- Spawner: The count of enemies now goes down when one is killed, not when one spawns.
- Spawner: Removed post-wave check which was used on the old system to remove enemies after every enemy spawns.
- Wave Status is now displayed on the HUD.
- Added the Shield.
- Added MAKUTA.
- Made the 11th wave a BOSS WAVE.
- Changed bullet sprites to be easier to see.
Shield:
+ Lowers a shield that protects players and bots from gunfire.
+ Allows the player to shoot through it.
- Spawning a shield inside of walls destroys them.
- You can only use 3 shields per wave.
- Enemies can go though shields.
Shield Hints:
-Don't spawn them inside of walls as that will destroy them and waste 1 shield. Deploy your shields in mid air.
-You get all your shields back when you start each wave.
-All shields that are deployed and undeployed will be removed when each wave finishes.
-Shields are only deployed for only about 15 seconds. Use your time wisely.
-Shields have about 250 health, but they take a lot of damage (4 hp per enemy bullet, 6 hp per makuta bullet)
Report bugs by replying to this post!
Edited by Bitl

biorena_logo_v2.png

Hm, I'd say you should make the crouch lower, and yield a real benefit. Right now it lowers your profile only by 3 or 4 pixels and reduces your movement to a crawl, without the typical shooter mechanic of making shots more accurate while crouched.Shields are very nice to have, but when enemies still walk straight through them they become less useful. Enemies have enough health to make it almost impossible to survive a wave because they just rush in and overcome the player with a torrent of bullets. Making the shield more of a personal buffer (like the Mask of Shielding) would likely improve its worth.This is the situation I end up in pretty much from the start.Sometimes I lose track of who's my ally and who's an enemy, and I am seldom able to spot where my own shots are landing in the middle of the bullet swarm. Maybe enemies should have slightly different bullets from the player, to differentiate them more easily.Finally, the sound effects are pretty repetitive. I get that everyone is firing full-auto here, but it gets a bit much after a while. Maybe add a brief cooldown/reload to weapons after they have been fired for a few seconds, to improve both the sound issue and the overall gameplay. Typically, infinite full-auto is impossible to dodge, and the only games in which I have seen it happen the player has either had some form of special dodge skill, or the player/bullet speed relation is such that the shots can be avoided consistently.

Demo 3 is now released!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81688479/Biorena/game/Biorena_demo_3.zip

CHANGELOG: Demo 3:
-Shots fired with the SMG are now more accurate when crouched.
-Fixed a major bug where the player and/or bot could not shoot through Shields.
-If a shield is deployed, enemies will now stand and shoot at it, then when it dissapears, run at the player and/or bot.
-The Shield now blocks enemies, and the player and/or bot will no longer pass through.
-Added a spectate mode on death.
-The respawn time now shows up on the HUD for the bot and player.
-The bullet sprite color is now changed for enemy bullets.
Edited by Bitl

biorena_logo_v2.png