T&M! Comics Semifinal Poll

T&M! Comics Semifinal Poll  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Comics Semifinal Poll Titans and Monsters: Attack on BZ Koro! Contest Comics Semifinals Voting begins August 14th and ends August 17th at 11:59 pm EDT. -> The winning entry from the Comics Semifinals will enter the Finals. Final Voting begins August 22nd and ends August 23rd at 11:59 pm EDT. Results will be posted on August 25th in a new topic in General Discussion. =============================== 1. thumbnail.png >>> Attak on Bionicles 2. entry.png_thumb.jpg >>> The Phantom Terror and His League of Dimwits! 3. opolisinvaded128.png >>> Opolis Invaded 4. tvmthumbnail.png >>> Mech Vs. Monster 5. bzpcontestpic.png >>> Part 1 Part 2 >>> Mighty Morphin'

Edited by Hahli Husky

Number 2 was generally mediocre, number 3 was confusing and uninteresting, number 4 was graphically unimpressive, and number 5 was sexist, racist, and cissexist, as well.as being uninteresting and ill-structured... but even if that hadn't been the case, there's only one I could have voted for. BAC for the cup!

bionicle is trans culture

Number 2 felt... unfinished. There were no titans, therefore I disqualify it from my vote. Number 3 was a confusing story and also felt unfinished, but at least they explicitly mentioned it was unfinished. The graphics were the best of the lot, though. Number 4 was a SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting story than most of the others. If it weren't for another entry, I would have voted for it. Number 5 is sexist, racist, and cissexist, and as such, even if it were the best comic there (which it isn't) I'd still avoid voting for it because it violates my moral grounds.

Ultimately, Number 1, BONICLIE ADVENTURS COMIX wins the cup, because it expertly integrates stock photography with the drawn environment, and has a well-reasoned, balanced and non-offensive plot powered by old quotes from Greg. Its graphics are not spectacular, but they're trying something new and edgy and I like it. Attak on Bionicles is my vote of choice, and based upon the vote distribution it should probably win. MacroPolo, you are my hero.

Edited by Tapika

tumblr_mrji0oZwlq1sqiy2ho1_400.png

#1 all the way. Hands-down, the best comic from the best comic maker.

I realize that #5 is currently coming in second place - but I'm sorry, I can't wrap my head around the idea of prejudice being funny. It's not.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

There's a time and a place for joke entries to place high in a contest (actually no there really isn't but w/e), but the first site-wide BZP contest is certainly not one of those times.

That being said, #1 is not even really a choice for me. I chuckled a bit at #2, but not enough to give it my vote. #3 was definitely a strong contender here, and had a nice graphical style and some humor to boot, although it felt a bit... cluttered to me, at times, possibly because of the choice in text and some of the graphical effects. #4 was nothing too amazing, although it stands up decently well because of a pretty good story. #5 was my personal favorite here, because of the nice blend of good graphics, a well structured plot that, while a bit random, achieves its purpose of parodying Power Rangers, some nice sprite work, and excellent humor.

It gets my vote.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

There's a time and a place for joke entries to place high in a contest (actually no there really isn't but w/e), but the first site-wide BZP contest is certainly not one of those times.

I know entries 2-5 can't compare to BAC, but calling them "joke entries" is a bit harshI don't think that them actually placing high is much of a concern, so can't we at least let them have their fun??

• Upvote 2

RksnKgM.jpg

I simply cannot begin to grasp what's so hard to comprehend about the fact that a BAC entry isn't a "joke entry." It's a STYLE, one lovingly adapted from another similarly graphically awful comic that uses it as I use it: as a stylistic way of portraying humor. When a crudely-shopped and sharpened Mata Nui looks over the water-marked wall overlaid with Comic Sans German, some cannot help but laugh at the sheer ridiculous amount of effort put into reaching that specific level of awful. Someone's failure to understand my style is not reason to brand it a "joke entry" or degrade those who genuinely found it funny and worth their vote.

• Upvote 1

I simply cannot begin to grasp what's so hard to comprehend about the fact that a BAC entry isn't a "joke entry." It's a STYLE, one lovingly adapted from another similarly graphically awful comic that uses it as I use it: as a stylistic way of portraying humor. When a crudely-shopped and sharpened Mata Nui looks over the water-marked wall overlaid with Comic Sans German, some cannot help but laugh at the sheer ridiculous amount of effort put into reaching that specific level of awful. Someone's failure to understand my style is not reason to brand it a "joke entry" or degrade those who genuinely found it funny and worth their vote.

Okay, if you'd rather me call it a "joke style" instead of a "joke entry," that's all well and good. That's what it will still boil down to at the end of the day; a style adopted for the purpose of making intentionally low quality comics. I certainly don't have any place to judge what people should find funny in comics, because really, if you're entertaining people you're doing it right, but comics like these simply are not my cup of tea. I prefer people that try and use their talent to make actual good quality works, rather than intentionally stifling their talent by representing their creativity in a certain style. Don't get me wrong, you're not committing some crime against the comics forum by making comics like this. They're just not for me, and, IMO, the comics forum should not be represented by a comic intententionally made to be awful in the first site-wide contest. :P Like alright, I can definitely see your series has done something right judging by the sheer number of sarcastic, repetitive posts praising it as an amazing masterpiece. That's fine, people are free to like what they like. I don't like it, so it didn't get my vote. I'm hardly degrading anyone's preference here. :P -Mesonak Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Okay, if you'd rather me call it a "joke style" instead of a "joke entry," that's all well and good. That's what it will still boil down to at the end of the day; a style adopted for the purpose of making intentionally low quality comics. I certainly don't have any place to judge what people should find funny in comics, because really, if you're entertaining people you're doing it right, but comics like these simply are not my cup of tea. I prefer people that try and use their talent to make actual good quality works, rather than intentionally stifling their talent by representing their creativity in a certain style. Don't get me wrong, you're not committing some crime against the comics forum by making comics like this. They're just not for me, and, IMO, the comics forum should not be represented by a comic intententionally made to be awful in the first site-wide contest. :P Like alright, I can definitely see your series has done something right judging by the sheer number of sarcastic, repetitive posts praising it as an amazing masterpiece. That's fine, people are free to like what they like. I don't like it, so it didn't get my vote. I'm hardly degrading anyone's preference here. :P -Mesonak

A comic?? Uses JOEKS?? FOR HUMOUR? STYLe MaEKs it FUNNY?SHOULD NOT REPRSENT COMICS~! MuST BE SERIOUS, NO FUNNY, FUNNY STyLE NO!HOW DARE!!!!!!!!(BAC forever, suckers)
  • Upvote 2
bring back "an cool dude"

5. It's not sexist, it's a personal preference over a hat that was specifically designed for females. Doesn't mean males can't wear it, it however, does not meet the favor of the character in question. It's not racist, it's a parody. Making fun of a show that is known for notoriously being racist.And I have no clue where anyone could pull cissexism out of that but alas. Seemed like a fun comic parodying one of my favorite shows as a child which was an excellent choice considering the theme of this contest, so it gets my vote.Plus it was the only one that actually felt complete or didn't give me a headache trying to decipher what's even going on.

untitled-4.png

"Attak on Bionicles" speaks to me on a personal level.

And I am not even saying that for the sake of irony. This comic is basically a huge allegory that a) I get and b) I appreciate.

It's easy to confuse the art style for laziness, when (ironically) I think it may have actually taken the most effort of any of these to have been made.

The best humour can be found in real life. And I think entry #1 purely encapsulates this. It fits the contest theme in such a satirical way (and by that, I don't mean satirizing the contest theme, stop putting words in my mouth ok thanks), and I could not bring myself to vote for anything less than this.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

a few months ago, i said "attack on titan au where all of the titans are the titan sets from bionicle" it's something i very much wanted to see, and after all this time, it's here.

to me, this is more than a comic. this is more than just that. this is a dream. a dream that has finally become reality.

thank you, bionicles adventurs comixs. thank you

button.png

I'll make one post and then I'll drop it, I just want to make a couple rebuttal points to your defenses (which, by the way, I find terrible. No joke.)

Making humour of racism by propogating racism is still racism, even if you prefix it with "yeah, but, we were just making a joke, there's no need to get offended by it". Still racism, in the same way that reverse racism is still racism- the intentions do not matter if the end result is hurtful.

In regards to sexism and cissexism, looking at the alleged comic in question which I criticised, the hat appears to be a green, knit cap. Let's take a look at Wwikipedia as on the internet. Looking at the popular culture section, literally every single name mentioned is a man. The allegations of it being a "hat for women", therefore, are not intended as a factual reccomendation, but instead as a term of slander. The element of cissexism comes when the character of Eljay, despite liking his hat, is berated for his choice of clothing, and he is called "strange" for wearing clothing that is suggested to be, for some undescribed reason, effeminate. I could potentially understand if the hat was pink- while it should be okay for someone to wear a pink hat without suggestions of crossdressing, there is a bias that society has placed on us that pink is the colour exclusively in the domain of girls (weird, but we can't overthrow that in a day). The hat's green, though. Walter White wore a green knit hat, and Walter White is one of the manliest men I've ever seen. Your argument is invalid.

Finally, our posts are dismissed as sarcastic and repetitive. I admit I didn't help that by repeating Janaro's laundry list of things I find morally wrong with entry 5, but it helps that he quantified exactly what made me unsettled about that entry. I'll tell you hwat, all of my complaints were 100% serious. There was not an ounce of sarcasm; in fact, I find it a little sad that BAC is the top entry, as I thought this comic forum was capable of a lot more. If Nuparurocks was still around, and had entered this, or Dokuma or Kahi or Dlakii or somebody else, I'd have voted for their high quality- and funny- work.

But they're not, and I'm left with this drivel. So I'll vote for their proxy, the last vestige of people who still understand what made the Comic forums good in their heyday. BONICLIE ADVENTURS COMIX, micromanaged behind the scenes by people who understand what the people want.

Don't agree with that? Just look at the votes. ;)

Edited by Tapika

tumblr_mrji0oZwlq1sqiy2ho1_400.png

To be perfectly honest, normally I'd just null vote on this. In my eyes none of the comics really shine or entertain me enough to get my vote, which I suppose is a little cruel and mean of me to say.

Basically, it ended up being a toss up between LJ's comic and everyone else's because I'm friends with LJ. The others I didn't like all that much and BAC just gave me a severe headache after the first two pages, so regardless of whatever issues everyone else finds with LJ's comic or the reasons for not liking BAC, I have to go with Numero Cinco.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

The first entry offended my eyes.And honestly, the other entries were all good, but I enjoyed the fifth one best.

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

I actually really liked the Power Rangers theme of the fifth entry, so that automatically took my vote. :P As much as I liked the other entries too, aside from the obvious exception, that comic made my day! :DAlso, I gotta say, the controversy over these comics is insane... Things that are clearly supposed to be funny get criticized over small details, and the things that are unfunny and... look purposefully awful get praised? Quit the trolling!

"... What is gold can never stay."

Also, I gotta say, the controversy over these comics is insane... Things that are clearly supposed to be funny get criticized over small details, and the things that are unfunny and... look purposefully awful get praised? Quit the trolling!

Quit the continuing-something-I-asked-people-to-stop-doing-already.

What I see in this topic is not trolling.

Debate over the integrity or content of the comics up for voting stops now.

If you're working on a post of this sort at the moment and accidentally post it after me, you'd better edit it asap. Whether or not you consider comic #5 to be sexist and/or cissexist, this is not the place to argue whatever point you have. At this point, I recommend PMing the comic's author if you have been hurt by the "joke" and/or "plot point" in question.

As far as the BAC comic: it is a style, it is allowed, and it will be treated with as much respect as any sprite or hand-drawn comic. If you don't care for it for any reason, that is perfectly okay, but elitism will not be tolerated.

Let me remind you, as Windrider has already had to do in comic #5's topic:

"BZPower does not condone discrimination or intolerance. Members should not treat each other with disdain or contempt because of race, religious preference, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or a similar quality or belief. In addition, speech or acts that isolate others or belittle them because of a physiological trait or a belief are not acceptable. This especially includes saying you are anti or against a group of people that can be characterized by a shared quality or belief. Members will face administrative action up to and including banning if their actions are severe enough."

"Respect your fellow members. Time to be cliche: treat others as you wish to be treated. You should not degrade, insult, or make fun of anyone on this site."

Edited by Hahli Husky

There is no war within the walls of Ba Sing Se. Eurasia has always been at war with Oceania. Do not go near the dog park. I voted for Attak on Bionicles. Intentionally bad things aren't always my fave and irony and cynicism are old news, but this comic is far from being a random spewing of cheese and pie and gratuitous SFX, nor is it without a sense of fun. The introduction of Greg as a villain and the juxtaposition of quotes throughout writes back to the dominant mode of discourse regarding Bionicle story and questions the dichotomy of monster vs. titan in a way that I find entirely appropriate. After all, what is fan culture about if not the reappropriation of the goals and ideologies of a franchise's producing entities? It also benefits from using preestablished characters that require less external context than the sprites used in other entries, which I presume are only familiar to denizens of the art forums.Technically speaking, I have no idea what the techniques used were, but it's a lot better than I could do with MSPaint and a bunch of stock images and a refreshing change from sprite comics. As well, I prefer the fusion of panels, perspective, and sequences to the pedestrian rectangular panel, although #4 does a good job of toying with panel layout too.In fact, lest people think this contest is solely between #1 and #5, #4 is probably my second favorite entry, in terms of actually dealing with monsters and titans and bringing some hand-drawn stuff into the sprite mix, and I'm sorry it doesn't have more votes. It also has a cute ending, but that's still nothing compared to the unresolved tension of #1, which mirrors the real-life tension felt by many at Bionicle's ending. Synchronicity!So, #1 with an honorable mention to #4. Good luck to everybody!

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

I've been out of touch with the comic forum for some time now and reading all of the entries, AoB was the only one I found interesting. It made me laugh. Hard. The others didn't seem to cut it. They required previous knowledge on the characters, which I have none, and follow a very structured style that's been in the forum for years before I even joined. I found them to be, in short, generic and confusing. AoB is daring with its style (leading it to be controversial since it breaks the standard that's been built up for years) and requires no prior knowledge of any characters. I've given them each a fair chance and only one has managed to make me smile, nevermind laugh hyterically. There is no contest here, AoB has my vote.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

I'm fairly certain several people are missing the impressive part about BaC. To make something that looks that bad takes serious dedication.

I'm not even exaggerating. There is a long and arduous process to cultivating Jpeg artifacts.

(I voted #1)

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Hey here's another warning for you all.

DO NOT SEND ANON HATE TO CONTESTANTS ON TUMBLR.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Normally staff will not intervene on other websites, but since this is directly related to the contest I will not excuse it. When I find out who you are, even if there's more than one of you doing this, you will be off of this site immediately.

Hey here's another warning for you all.

DO NOT SEND ANON HATE TO CONTESTANTS ON TUMBLR.

Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Normally staff will not intervene on other websites, but since this is directly related to the contest I will not excuse it. When I find out who you are, even if there's more than one of you doing this, you will be off of this site immediately.

What about those who are getting flamed or "crud posted" about because they voted for the wrong comic?

It's kind of uncomfortable for me to have to see that on tumblr.

I think an interesting thing that no one seems to have pointed out is that Eljay's comic uses Rayg 2.0

2.5 has been out since like 2007, and it's much more consistent and professional and generally nice-looking by most standards

2.0 is relatively sloppy by comparison, but Eljay continues to use it because he likes how it looks

He deliberately uses inferior sprites to pull off a certain visual style

How is that ANY different than what BAC does (at least beyond Eljay's atempted style not being executed anywhere near as well)

RksnKgM.jpg