We'll Run Wild Oh, We'll Start Glowing In The Dark

Nukaya

(click for larger version)takanuvapho_supersmall.jpgEnlarged 35mm film negative, printed on 8"x10" gelatin silver paper This was the third printing of this I did. I had to develop four or five rolls last term for a project, so I did a good amount of one roll posing my Takanuva Stars set and some masks I had.Comments and constructive criticism welcomed.

I am by no means a professional photographer, and I admittedly know little about it, but this is ... really interesting. The mask and weaponthings (I have no idea what they're really called), the only silver parts, seem to be more in focus than the rest of the set. Really a nice look there, makes him seem bigger than he really is. I also like the black-and-white and "dirtiness" to the look. (I hope you know what I'm talking about when I mention "dirtiness" ... like fuzz around the image, like a restored old movie?) Yeah. I like that. It holds great appeal to me for some unfathomable reason ...

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get the silver parts to be focused on more? I'm never able to do stuff like that.

There is this magic thing called knowing how to use your camera and this other magic thing called manual focus. I changed the depth of focus to be a very narrow area while making sure the mask and weapon were lined up together to be in focus. It's quite simple when working with a SLR camera.

I like the focus on the mask, it just looks cool in general

Thank you!

I like how you made the eyes tranparent! The monochrome really works here, seeng as most of Takanuva's colors are a shade of white.

I didn't make the eyes transparent. That is just how that light neon yellow is rendered on black and white film.

I am by no means a professional photographer, and I admittedly know little about it, but this is ... really interesting. The mask and weaponthings (I have no idea what they're really called), the only silver parts, seem to be more in focus than the rest of the set. Really a nice look there, makes him seem bigger than he really is.I also like the black-and-white and "dirtiness" to the look. (I hope you know what I'm talking about when I mention "dirtiness" ... like fuzz around the image, like a restored old movie?) Yeah. I like that. It holds great appeal to me for some unfathomable reason ...

I believe you are referring to the grain caused by the silver in the 400 ISO film, as well as a bit of after printing spotting I had to do due to dust in the enlarger. I wish I could get some 100 ISO 35mm film, as that would lend less graininess to the image.Thanks guys and gals! :)-Nukaya