Epic Critics Club

Cederak

Welcome to the Epic Critics Club! This topic carries the purpose of allowing epic authors here on BZPower to have their work read, reviewed, and critiqued.

WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING EPICSNote: New epics will not be accepted until the previous batch is finished. Check this post to see if we are presently accepting new work.If you are viewing this post primarily as an author, the following are a few guidelines and regulations.1.) Only one of your epics will be reviewed at a time. We will make every attempt to read through your work as quickly and thoroughly as possible, but for the sake of fairness, other authors will be on our agenda as well.2.) An epic will only be reviewed one time by the ECC. However, if you believe a substantial amount of work has gone into your epic since its ECC review, PM me to make an appeal on the matter. ECC critics are exempt from this entire rule. In your appeal, simply describe why you think you have done enough to garner another review and you will be notified of our decision.3.) Requests for a review will be handled in a simple format. How you choose to post the request is your business, but it must contain the format if you expect a review.4.) Questions, comments, and concerns should be sent directly to my PM box where I can handle them personally. Any grievances with a critic's review of your work go to Aderia. Please do not, however, PM me with a review request. I'll just direct you to this topic.5.) You cannot request a particular critic to review your work. That is a matter best left to PMing them directly. And even then, it's their call to say whether they have the time or not.6.) Courtesy is a must. We are kind enough to offer a service intended to help you grow as a writer, it seems only reasonable that we receive a degree of respect for our efforts. I am holding everyone to a high level of maturity on this matter.7.) Each request will receive a Tier Designation. Tier 1 requests are from writers, Tier 2 requests are appeals, and Tier 3 requests are from critics. A request's Tier Designation number also determines the number of weeks a critic has to complete the assignment.The following is the Review Request Format I mentioned earlier. Your post will contain the listed three requirements. If it does not, I will disregard it.1.) Story Name + link2.) Review topic link3.) Number of ChaptersThis concludes the author-based portion of my post. Once again, The Epic Critics Club is looking forward to reading your work and assisting you in becoming a stronger writer. Reading on will allow you to learn more about our critic staff and the requisites for becoming a critic yourself.Q.) You want to become a critic? (NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)A.) That's fantastic! A selfless volunteering service is always excellent news. Regrettably, we cannot accept every hopeful out there. To ensure quality reviewing among our staff, I simply ask that you fill out the application below and PM it to me under the subject: Critic Resume.Application FormUsername/Nickname: Most will prefer their username, I'm sure, but reviewing under a penname is entirely acceptable.Why do you want to be a critic? - Pretty straightforward here.Describe you. - Outline your personality. Again, straightforward.After sending me this very basic application, I will respond with an excerpt of my early work here on the forums that you will critique. Your critique will be a major deciding factor in whether or not you are accepted.Staff BiosHahli Historian: ECC Director, Public Relations - Maintain and lead ECC, handle any/all PR campaign work.About Me: I have quite a bit of experience with writing (some from school, most of it from my free time and my mother) and like helping others to discover the joy of authorship. I've seen a lot of the writing on this and other sites, and many of the stories just need a little help, or constructive criticism to make them the best they can be. I also know from personal experience how hurtful it can be when everyone just says "it's awful", and doesn't help you understand why they think that, or how to make it better. Think of me less as a "critic" and more of an editor, someone who helps you make your work better.On Critiquing: I'm looking for the spirit of your work, the ideas you're attempting to flesh out on paper. If you have a story worth telling, there's going to be a way to make it a good one. Characters, personality, and plots are what's important to me. While grammar is definitely important, it's also something that can always be fixed later. But trust me, spell check is not evil. :)Cederak: ECC AdvisorAbout Me: I'm a fairly sarcastic person at times, something I distance myself from when I need to be serious. I am particular according to some, but I think I just know what I like. And what I like are nice things. ...And there begins the sarcasm.On Critiquing: I'm looking for flow. Spelling errors are quick fixes, but grammar can outright ruin the flow to a story and break immersion for the reader. I try to be helpful though, and I'm constantly looking for alternative ways for a writer to express what they want to say.Velox: ECC Co-Director, Human Resource Management - Run the ECC as a counterpart to the Director, Oversee intern training and promote a positive environment for critics.About Me: I am currently the Curator of the Short Stories Critics Club and a Forum Assistant here on the forums, Previously I have held the positions of Curator of the Comedies Critics Club and Co-Curator of the Epics Critics Club. Unfortunately, my time is very limited nowadays, and as such I am not able to be a critic here at this time -- I will, however, be helping out on the administrative side of things, so feel free to PM me with any questions. I enjoy reading, writing, and a bunch of other things -- take a look at my blog, profile, or staff bio on the main page if you want to know more about me.On Critiquing: Probably the main thing I look for is proper grammar/spelling, along with awkward-sounding sentences and the like. I'm a big fan of characterization, great plots, and a good flow of writing, and so I try to comment on those as well. Basically when I review something I'm just trying to find every single thing I dislike -- even if only slightly -- in order to help writers become the best they can be. Because let's face it: we can all always get better.Aderia: ECC Internal Affairs - Follow-up with clients after a review and handle critic policy violations.About Me: Well, let's see... I have a soft spot for ducklings and cheesecake brownies. But that's not exactly relevant. Okay, so I've been writing in the Bionicle fandom since sixth grade, and let me just say, I am not proud of my first attempts of an epic. That being said, you will have to write something truly atrocious to faze me. Back in the day, before I joined BZP, I was more of the "Yay, nice story, update soon, keep up the good work *smiley face* " type. But really, what help is that? I've had enough of those types of reviews in my past to make me barf. So don't worry about shallow reviews (though you might still see a smiley face or two :) )On Critiquing: Okay, you got me. I confess, if I see a story that takes up a gazillion pages (and a gazillion hours to read), yes I'm intimidated. The only way I'll keep reading is if the story is gripping from the start and has enough flow to keep me reading through and wanting more. But reviewing as part of the ECC, ditching the story if I lose interest isn't a choice. So what I look for is flow, character development, intrigue, and plot advancement, outside of the usual spelling/grammar etc. What really makes a good story is an author who knows just how to guide their readers through their imagination and make them see things their way. Give me an all around good story, you'll get a good review, but give me a story that needs work, you'll get an even better review.TNTOS: ECC Community Product Assessment - Locate charity epics and assign them to ECC critics accordingly.About Me: I've been writing BIONICLE fanfiction on BZP almost since the day I first joined, so I think I have a bit of experience when it comes to writing. Because I wish to be a novelist someday, I am always looking for ways to become a better writer myself.On Critiquing: I will basically point out anything I think is a flaw, but I primarily focus on character and plot. Another major thing I look at is point of view (POV) and consistency with the POV of your story. Dialogue is another aspect I focus on, too.Zarayna: ECC CriticAbout Me: I'm a standard member of these forums, but also an active writer, and semiactive reviewer (I review for the SSCC and now for the ECC, but not much else, except for when occasional spurts of reviewing energy flood my being). I spend most of my time on BZP either in the library, the blogs, or in the RPG forum, where I run the newly started RPG Critics Club.On Critiquing: The top thing that makes me edge away in panic is, yes, length: long descriptions, long chapters, and large amounts of chapters are a scary thing for me. Boring characters and plot also set me of, although they also fire me up to critique on things; often the more flaws a story has, the more I enjoy reviewing it. Generally, I like to read stories that are not too long, which have good settings and plots, and just as important, if not more, good characters. Setting and plot are very important though; I will often enjoy an okay story with an excellent plot over a better written story that has a plot that is ill constructed, or just not appealing to me. I enjoy reading and reviewing a good story, but in the long run... A flawed story is almost more fun to review.GSR: ECC Data Officer - Keep a record of all official requests and charity assignments the ECC has completed.About Me: Occasionally I sit down, lay my head on the keyboard, and then sort of roll it back and forth for a while before running spellcheck. I've been informed that this is apparently called "writing". In any event, it's quite fun. I have joined the ECC to help others master the art of smashing letters onto a page and then passing it off as meaningful. On Critiquing: Solid prose and wordplay is a huge, huge plus - a good story should never make you feel like you're working to get through a paragraph. If your story is clunky or just doesn't gel for some reason, I'll probably pick up on that. That isn't to say plot and characters and the like are unimportant; you can write some very fancy, enjoyable-to-read descriptions, but without a strong plot or character or something to back them up you're not writing a story, you're writing advertising copy. As for orthography, I'm not really the kind of guy to track down every single spelling or grammar slip-up - instead, I'll try to ID patterns in any mistakes I see and let you know about those. Furthermore, I do try to provide examples and reasoning for my critiques so you can have a good starting point for addressing them in the future. And if I seem harsh, just remember - I critique because I care.Nick Silverpen: ECC CriticAbout Me: Once in a blue moon poster, I'm always browsing, seeing what's going on in these forums. A member of these forums for almost 9 years, I've not been the most active, but I've always been into writing, but I tend to plan my writing more than I actually write. A writer betters himself by reading, and I feel like I should get to know the other authors of the forums.On Critiquing: I like to look for flow. I'm looking for a good story, one i can roll around in my head. A page turner. While I say I like to see stories on a consistent posting schedule, I don't do what I preach- whenever a writer can get something written in the time that they have is good. Keeps the reader waiting anxiously. Style is a biggie that I look at; whether you're long and descriptive, or short and quick, or even somewhere in the between, I like to see the perspectives people have on storytelling. Grammar is good, but not overly important. Vocab is helpful, but over fluffing it is unnecessary.Sechs - King of Facade: ECC InternAll critics will be held to the following rules. If you feel a critic has overstepped one of these boundaries, please PM Aderia and action will be taken accordingly.1.) Your reviews will be constructive. This is open to interpretation, but if I am alerted that your criticism was entirely negative in scope with nothing to offer, my counterpart Velox and I will work to correct the issue and PM you regarding it.2.) Post in this topic once you have finished reviewing an epic. Including a direct link to your review post is appreciated, though optional.3.) Any information on changes, new hires, or departures will be shared with all critics. I hope to keep you in the loop as much as possible.4.) Termination is always a possibility. Though I'd like for everyone who leaves to do so of their own accord, termination will be on the table if a critic has a history of problem behaviors.5.) Being a critic means being available. If you are busy, tell me. If I never hear from you, I don't know your situation and termination may become a possibility.6.) Be the model of maturity. Keeping up with the stream of review requests can be a task in itself. Acting like less than adults will only make life harder. I'm trusting you to act your age.7.) If you are a critic assigned to review an ECC member's work, you will have 3 weeks to complete the task. (A request placed by a critic to the ECC will be treated like any other - with professionalism.)Once again, welcome to the Epic Critics Club! Best wishes to all writers and a thank you to the critics!-Cederak (ECC Director)

To Those That Served Before, We Owe You a Debt of Gratitude

Epic Critics Club 5 - Leader: Alena Spirit of Hyperness (March 9, 2011 - April 24, 2011)

Epic Critics Club 4 - Leader: <daydreamer> (July 31, 2010 - February 15, 2011)

Epic Critics Club 3 - Leader: <daydreamer> (May 5, 2007 - July 31, 2010)

Epic Critics Club 2 - Leader: Twenty-Two (July 27, 2006 - May 5, 2007)

Epic Critics Club 1 - Leader: Sws4 (May 6, 2006 - July 27, 2006)

Request Agenda

Edited by Cederak

I suppose I will be the first member to post a request for a review from the Epic Critics Club on the new forums. 1) Dimension Hoppers 2) Review Topic 3) Number of chapters: 8 Feel free to rip it apart :P . -TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Hmm, I know you did read my epic a little while ago (thanks again for the reply). Still, if anyone wants to really go into a higher detail, then I'd love to hear your criticism. 1) Dare to Dream 2) Review 3) Number of chapters: 10 (Depending on when you get to it. Chapter eleven will be posted tomorrow) Feel free to be as critical as you wish. I'm still pretty new to writing (this is the first story I've really planned out to this degree and it is also my longest story thus far), so I'd love all the advise I could get. Of course I still haven't gotten into the meat and potatoes of DtD yet, so I might just have to send in another request when things really get under way (not any time soon, though. ^^)

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Wind

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I suppose I will be the first member to post a request for a review from the Epic Critics Club on the new forums. 1) Dimension Hoppers 2) Review Topic 3) Number of chapters: 8 Feel free to rip it apart :P . -TNTOS-

Hmm, I know you did read my epic a little while ago (thanks again for the reply). Still, if anyone wants to really go into a higher detail, then I'd love to hear your criticism. 1) Dare to Dream 2) Review 3) Number of chapters: 10 (Depending on when you get to it. Chapter eleven will be posted tomorrow) Feel free to be as critical as you wish. I'm still pretty new to writing (this is the first story I've really planned out to this degree and it is also my longest story thus far), so I'd love all the advise I could get. Of course I still haven't gotten into the meat and potatoes of DtD yet, so I might just have to send in another request when things really get under way (not any time soon, though. ^^)

Okay, gentlemen. Your epics are on the agenda and will be reviewed in as timely a manner as possible. Thank you for choosing the ECC for your reviewing services. =) -Ced

Could someone review Mass Destruction so far?

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Please use the Review Request Format as stated in the main post. newso1.png

WHOOP! Sorry Name: Mass Destruction: link:http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=1325&hl=&fromsearch=1 Review link:http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=1399&hl=&fromsearch=1 Number of chapters at the moment: 2, more will be posted soon though.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

I might be wrong, but I believe that there's still another slot open. Anyway:1) Name: Danger Close1)A: Story Topic2) Review Topic3) Number of Chapters: 7I can't wait for the review - thanks! :)

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I might be wrong, but I believe that there's still another slot open. Anyway:1) Name: Danger Close1)A: Story Topic2) Review Topic3) Number of Chapters: 7I can't wait for the review - thanks! :)

Actually, our review queue is presently empty. All previous epics have been taken care of. Expect your ECC review soon!-Ced

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but I posted another chapter of my epic, and plan on posting another one in a few minutes. You guys don't have to review those chapters, but you can if you want. Just letting you know ahead of time. =]

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

If you guys aren't too busy, I have an epic that I put up for review just before the downtime:1.) Second to None2.) Review Topic3.) 5 that are currently up

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

I'm not sure if this is important or not, but I posted another chapter of my epic, and plan on posting another one in a few minutes. You guys don't have to review those chapters, but you can if you want. Just letting you know ahead of time. =]

Hahli Historian is presently assigned to your epic, and while I won't ask her to read beyond the story's length upon the time of your request, it will ultimately be up to her whether or not she goes further. Thanks for the heads up though.-Ced

If you guys aren't too busy, I have an epic that I put up for review just before the downtime:1.) Second to None2.) Review Topic3.) 5 that are currently up

Your request has been taken care of and your review is up. Thanks for coming to the ECC. =)-Ced

Story Link: http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1727Dark Dawn Review Topic Link: http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1728Number of chapters: 1 (2 more on the way)This is something i'd really like to have reviewed, but There's only one chapter. Perhaps you could review it at a later time?

Okay, Darkon, here's the deal. If you request a review, we'll do it. Quickly and efficiently. But I'm not one for taking "down the road" critiques. Keep in mind that my "team" (small as it is, right now) is very fast at cranking out reviews. Chances are, any time you make a request, we'll have an opening - so there's no need to worry about having to be on a waiting list. Of course, that is always subject to change, but I don't expect a flood of requests by tomorrow or anything.That said, I'm willing to do one of two things for you. One: I can review the single chapter now. Simple as that. Two: You can make a new request for your epic to be reviewed when you feel a more substantial amount has been posted. What sounds more favorable for you?-Ced

• 3 weeks later...

Half-Life: Gyah's AwakeningReview ThreadNumber of chapters: 5, plus a short prologue. So 6, technically.Thanks a lot in advance! The main thing I want to know is if it's easy enough to understand off the bat without reading the first three, being the fourth book in a series and all. The nature of the series is to be puzzling but I think this story may be just plain confusing.-tG

Okay, I have commissioned our newest member to critique your epic, and you can expect a review very soon. Being the fourth book in a series may add some confusion if there are too many vague references to your previous tomes, but we should hope you're tying things together nicely enough. I'm certain Aderia will have more to say on the matter once she reviews your epic. Thank you for coming to the ECC! =)-Ced

Half-Life: Gyah's AwakeningReview ThreadNumber of chapters: 5, plus a short prologue. So 6, technically.Thanks a lot in advance! The main thing I want to know is if it's easy enough to understand off the bat without reading the first three, being the fourth book in a series and all. The nature of the series is to be puzzling but I think this story may be just plain confusing.-tG

Okay, I have commissioned our newest member to critique your epic, and you can expect a review very soon. Being the fourth book in a series may add some confusion if there are too many vague references to your previous tomes, but we should hope you're tying things together nicely enough. I'm certain Aderia will have more to say on the matter once she reviews your epic. Thank you for coming to the ECC! =)-Ced
Okay guys, review's up!! And you're welcome, anytime.

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)

• 2 weeks later...

The review for No Room for Heroes is up! Thanks for your request, cpainter.-HH

Thanks for the review!I see what you're saying and I definitely will make the corrections in the sequel. For the whole Mulcar thing, I noticed that when I went through. I simply explained it to myself that Mulcar was following orders loyally, but he started questioning his superior's true intentions. I should have made that much more clear. Mulcar went through a definite character change in the story, he started as an evil shadowy figure and turned into a loyal(ish) warrior. But it did happen too fast.And I am very sorry about the grammatical errors, I will definitely pay more attention to detail. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Can you review BIONICLE: Learning Our Past please?Link to story:http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3075&hl=&fromsearch=1Link to review page:http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=3157Number of chapters: 1 so far

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I know the story hasn't progressed much since I last requested, but would it be alright to ask for another review of my epic?1) Dare to Dream2) Review3) Chapters: 14

That's fine by me. Considering Hahli Historian reviewed it last time, I'll have another one of the critics take a look at it, to give you a second opinion. =)-Ced Edited by Cederak

Hmm... I know the story hasn't progressed much since I last requested, but would it be alright to ask for another review of my epic?1) Dare to Dream2) Review3) Chapters: 14

That's fine by me. Considering Hahli Historian reviewed it last time, I'll have another one of the critics take a look at it, to give you a second opinion. =)-Ced
Done. :)

1.) Story Name + linkThe Switch Mirror the linkhttp://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9722.) Review topic linkhttp://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9713.) Number of Chapterscurrently there is 9 chaptersthank you very much for your time

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

1.) Story Name + linkThe Switch Mirror the linkhttp://www.bzpower.c...p?showtopic=9722.) Review topic linkhttp://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9713.) Number of Chapterscurrently there is 9 chaptersthank you very much for your time

And thank you for coming to the ECC, Voxumo. I have critic Hahli Historian assigned to your epic, so expect a review any day now.-Ced

1.) Story Name + linkThe Switch Mirror the linkhttp://www.bzpower.c...p?showtopic=9722.) Review topic linkhttp://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9713.) Number of Chapterscurrently there is 9 chaptersthank you very much for your time

And thank you for coming to the ECC, Voxumo. I have critic Hahli Historian assigned to your epic, so expect a review any day now.-Ced
ok thank you.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I have a quick question. If I ask for a review on a current epic I'm co-authoring with, and give the number of chapters, can I get another review after I've posted say five more? Or will that be convenient? =/ I read a little up there on the rules and couldn't find anything about multiple reviews.

I have a quick question. If I ask for a review on a current epic I'm co-authoring with, and give the number of chapters, can I get another review after I've posted say five more? Or will that be convenient? =/ I read a little up there on the rules and couldn't find anything about multiple reviews.

If the ECC were a busier place, I think I'd request that asking for another review come after a certain number of additional chapters have been posted. As you can see from this topic though, we are far from busy. I'm next on the critiquing cycle, and I'd be happy to read your epic. And then, once you've posted a bit more of your story, I'm sure one of the other critics will have a look at it (with a second opinion as well). :)-Ced

1) The Best Kept Secrets2) Review topic3) 10Feel free to be as critical as possible, this epic is a little project to exercise my creative writing skills. It'd be nice to get some reception out of it. :P

I have ECC critic Aderia: Toa of Ducklings assigned to your work. And while your epic is a bit extensive, I can promise her critique will include some pointers on improving your "creative writing skills." That's why we're here, after all...-Ced