The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Review Topic

TNTOS

Introduction:

Dear readers,

My name is TNTOS. I'm a fanfic writer and have written and posted over 40 epics, comedies, and short stories over a seven year period on this website. Some were great, some weren't, but nonetheless each has helped me grow as a writer and I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

Among my early works was a trilogy of epics known as the Shika Trilogy, consisting of The Tales of Shika Nui, Tapestry of Evil, and An Unlikely Alliance. Originally posted over a two year period, the Shika Trilogy chronicled the adventures of a Toa team composed of six former thieves on or near the island of Shika Nui (hence the title of the trilogy). It was never a particular popular trilogy, but it was my first ever completed trilogy and laid the foundation for my larger Shikaverse, the universe in which all my fanfiction (sans comedies) is set.

Unfortunately, all three epics of the Shika Trilogy were lost when the BZP Archives were taken down earlier this year. I did not repost them, mostly because I did not believe they are a good representation of my ability as a writer (and they still aren't, by the way). Besides, if I ever wanted to reread them, I had them saved on files on an external hard drive, so nostalgia was not a good reason for reposting them, either.

Recently, however, I have received a few requests from my readers to repost the Shika Trilogy, especially from readers who have not read it but want to. In addition, I am almost finished writing In the End, the epic that will be the finale to the Shikaverse as a whole. That epic does rely on a lot of ideas, concepts, and characters introduced in the Shika Trilogy, which most people would not understand without first reading the Shika Trilogy.

With the arrival of the New Year, I decided that now would be a good time to repost the entire Shika Trilogy here in the Epics forum. Not only that, but I would repost all three epics in one topic so you can conveniently read the entire trilogy in one place (hence the use of "omnibus" in the title of this topic). I also believe the trilogy is more enjoyable when read as a whole, rather than read individually.

Please note that the Shika Trilogy is NOT an example of my current ability as a writer. It is a reflection of who I was as a writer back in my younger days, when I was first learning how to write well. Whatever problems you notice, I am already aware of, so you don't need to write a comprehensive review pointing out every tiny error I have made. (If you want an example of my current ability as a writer, I suggest reading Dimension Hoppers or another of my most recent epics in my library.) I am reposting this solely to make the Shikaverse more understandable for people who haven't read it, although if you have some comments to make you are welcome to share them here in the review topic.

Read the omnibus itself here.

-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

• 7 months later...

Hi TNTOS,

I just finished reading it (it took me a month...) and I loved it!

Keep up the great writing! :)

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

• 2 months later...
Okay, posting to say that I've finally read this. While you have said you know what you did wrong in here - yes, I noticed, and I could nitpick :P - I want to briefly draw attention to what you did right.  

The first thing that stands out to me is your emphasis on characterization. You've got six thieves who become Toa, sort of a rarity, and these characters develop in a somewhat realistic manner. While the characterization in here is admittedly lopsided (emphasis on Barilo and Nastan, with Nonzra mostly forgotten until his death scene) it is still there. 

You also tend to have a knack for introducing cool characters, beasts, and villains - the monster Hajax and the Shika fought, the various creatures of Wyoko (the invisible black mask and the Cracko are particularly good), and the Taikas. You also appear to have a hand of introducing mysterious elements, which I enjoy, even though the way you did it here could use its improvements. 

I particularly enjoyed the ending - lots of tension and all of that formula I enjoy in a high-paced dramatic story. The ending reinforces the fact that the entire trilogy is incredibly grimdark, which feels like an ironic contrast to Toa Nuhrii, Toa of Sugar. :P

Despite the flaws, I do enjoy reading this, and look forward to seeing how this develops out in your further works as I read them. :)

Wow. Didn't think anyone was actually reading this, although if I recall correctly, you were one of the people who asked me to repost the Shika Trilogy, so I guess it makes sense that you read it. Not that I'm complaining or anything. Just didn't expect to see any comments from anyone in this review topic.

The first thing that stands out to me is your emphasis on characterization. You've got six thieves who become Toa, sort of a rarity, and these characters develop in a somewhat realistic manner. While the characterization in here is admittedly lopsided (emphasis on Barilo and Nastan, with Nonzra mostly forgotten until his death scene) it is still there.

Yeah, I didn't really give all of the Toa Shika equal screentime, though in my defense, I wasn't as experienced then as I am now. If I rewrote the Trilogy today, I'd probably give more development to Nonzra to give his death a larger impact.

Glad you liked the characterization overall, though. Characters are one of my favorite parts of writing, even back when I first wrote the Shika Trilogy, so getting compliments on that is always nice.

You also tend to have a knack for introducing cool characters, beasts, and villains - the monster Hajax and the Shika fought, the various creatures of Wyoko (the invisible black mask and the Cracko are particularly good), and the Taikas. You also appear to have a hand of introducing mysterious elements, which I enjoy, even though the way you did it here could use its improvements.

Thank you. Introducing mysterious elements is another thing I like to do, mostly because I think it's cool (although I usually try to make sure the mysterious elements are relevant to the story itself, rather than just being there for the sake of coolness).

I particularly enjoyed the ending - lots of tension and all of that formula I enjoy in a high-paced dramatic story. The ending reinforces the fact that the entire trilogy is incredibly grimdark, which feels like an ironic contrast to Toa Nuhrii, Toa of Sugar. :P

So glad you liked the ending. I'm always insecure about my endings because I never know if they're satisfying or not or if they at least work with the story. This is especially difficult for the ending of a series like the Shika Trilogy, but I guess it worked out all right.

You're right about the contrast between this trilogy and my username. I never noticed that, but it is funny.

Despite the flaws, I do enjoy reading this, and look forward to seeing how this develops out in your further works as I read them. :)

Thank you. The Toa Shika (and related characters) aren't the focus of most of the other Shikaverse stories, but I hope you enjoy them anyway. They get better, don't worry :P .

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to read and review this, despite it not being the greatest fanfic trilogy ever written. Always appreciate a thought-out review like this, whether on an old fic or new one. Thanks.

-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog