Review- (Decool) Toa Mata Nui Knockoff

Waaja

So I did say I wanted to do this quite a while back, so here it is.

Decool is a China (I assume?) brand that produces knockoff Lego Sets. They have been at it for quite a number of years (no idea how long), but they have recently exploded and skyrocketed in prominence in my region (SEA, and yes, China).

Recently (ok half a year ago |:X), I've gotten hold of a set from Shenzhen China, and it's none other than Toa Mata Nui himself. I was quite eleated when I got it, seeing how I've never seen the set in real life before (no idea why, but I've never seen it sold before here in SEA...) Here's a review of the set:

EDIT: WHOO! Thanks to Aanchir, images have been reloaded and are visible on forum! :D Thanks, Aanchir! :)

PACKAGE

The box itself is rather big (though I reckon smaller than the original) and quite prominent. Mata Nui stands in his usual pose as also seen on the original package.

12358396225_01dd12efa9.jpg
12358395955_8505f9af41.jpg

Here's the front of the box, as well as a size comparison with a (legititmate!) Rocka.

I don't have the rest of the box with me, as I had to accommodate luggage space, but the back does not advertise the other legends, and it has a plastic handle on the top for you to carry the box around. Toa Mata Nui retains his name, but now comes under the brand "Star Soldier", and carries the description: "The strongest and most active hero of the elite team. His power is more than enough to defeat any bad guy." Cheesy, but at least the English is grammatically correct and makes sense.

CONTENTS

12358393895_ce5ae5e7f7.jpg

IMG_0037 by skipperhulajinks, on Flickr

Opening the box up, here's what you get: a instruction manual, Bag 1 for the body, Bags 2 for the legs, Bag 3 for the hands, and the sword comes in a separate bag.

INSTRUCTION MANUAL

12358841124_d3afd14d39.jpg

12358564163_8ba72245a5.jpg

IMG_0041 by skipperhulajinks, on Flickr

12358565423_9b070d8b4b.jpg

The manual is printed on glossy paper, and gives off the smell of a new magazine (sorry I smell stuff, that just how I am, lol). Cover shows off the exact same thing as the box front, and the back is an advertisement for "Hero 2 Star Soldier".

Yes, none other than Hero Factory 2.0

Instructions printed inside are clear and easy to follow, and is on par with Lego standards (actually I guess it was ripped out from Lego), except there's no arena backdrop as what we got in the original. It's quite interesting to note that although Decool did rip the instructions off Lego, it did take the effort to edit it when it came to original pieces. We'll come to that later.

BUILDING

Overall, building this set was quite fun, as I haven't built a Bionicle/ HF set in over a year. I do have qualms with the build however, and a kind of sloppiness on the designer's part showed through; but that isn't Decool's fault, it's Lego's.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LOOSE AXLE ENDS STICKING OUT ALL OVER THE PLACE?!

*Ahem* Sorry.

On the quality of the build, I do have some issues. As with knockoffs, parts can come across tight and sometimes loose. The former is seen 90% of the time, especially with the cross pins. A hard surface comes in handy when trying to force in tight pins. So far, only about five loose pieces come into mind, but most are covered up and pose no major problem to the figure. And the nubs.

12358562893_ae73fc1496.jpg

IMG_0061 by skipperhulajinks, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116674534@N07/12358834784/

I've only snipped off those that pose a hindrance to the build or are enough of an eyesore for me to not want to see them. They might be everywhere, but unless you are really nick-picky, they don't pose much of a problem either.

The sockets will come across as sturdy and smooth in articulation and are almost on par with Lego's, but the piston rods seem a little soft to the point they bend slightly when I'm trying to pose the legs. A little bit of patience would help in posing this big guy. I did come across a ball with quite a huge hole though:

12358559633_c53788a17e.jpg

The finger pieces work fine, though one was a little loose. I swapped it with another extra piece and that did the job. Shield pincers, though, were horribly loose, and there aren't anything else to hold it tighter. This makes the shield pincers all too ready to open and close.

Body

12358563643_90623594d9.jpg
12358562143_fceef2c1fc.jpg

Legs

12358557083_4565359fd1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116674534@N07/12358383685/

Hands and Weapons

12358381905_8b9f10dc72.jpg
12358830354_9d45dabc1b.jpg
12358552363_1c840e3b89.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116674534@N07/12358553893/

I'm not going to go through the building experience of each part in detail, cause, they're about the same as the original.

HEIGHT COMPARISON

12358550513_e069d2c04a.jpg

CHANGES FROM ORIGNAL

Despite being a knock/rip-off, it's heartening to see Decool change some elements of the set. Some of these changes work to the improvement of the set, while others not so much.

Good:

1) The most obvious modification of all is to the sword blade. It now comes with a HF logo (seriously?! Why?!) and it lights up. Yeah, it does. This functions similarly to any Inika Blade, and it glows a cool blue. Despite being there, the HF logo does not ruin the cohesiveness of the set as it's quite subtly moulded onto the blade. Depending on you, the light-up feature may be a pro or a con. It's a pro for me: who doesn't like additional features?

2) The shoulders (Hordika limbs) have been moulded in black and not grey, as was the original. This, in my opinion, helps the set, as they fit in better with the colour scheme than their grey counterparts.

h12358545143_8d84e0721f.jpg

3)Those yellow things on the pistons have been modified, such that there isn't any hole in their middle as the original had. Personally, I never did liked those holes...

12358820464_c3f70c618a.jpg

Bad:

1) This one urked me when I was building the body:

12359949885_15757b5813.jpg

WHY OH WHY DECOOL DID YOU CHANGE THIS PIECE TO ANOTHER ONE?!

It was supposed to be the flat foot piece, not the curved one. Thankfully, this did not hinder the set much as the surrounding pieces helped sandwich it securely into place. But still, it got me quite irritated when I was building it.

2) The thornax band has been changed from black to grey its actually silver, i just realised. On one hand, it does make it look rather strange, but on the other, it does fit with the huge chunk of grey/ silver which is the shield/ shooter.

12358376125_b02efce6b1.jpg

Besides the colour difference, the thornax is slightly less bouncy but still does the job in firing.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

First impression: This guy is HUGE. He makes Tuma look like a canister set, haha. Being a knockoff, the quality, build-wise, piece-wise and playability-wise, is satisfactory. Beat that, he's incredible. From afar, this giant can almost come across as a legitimate Lego set. Adding on the light-up feature does add on to the epicness of the set. Would I recommend this set to anybody? Well, if you aren't too picky about quality, or about copyright issues, then yes, this guy can pose as a (much!) cheaper and worthy alternative; I've only gotten this guy for around RMB 130+ (USD 21.44+) Decool sure has come a long way in ripping-off (*cough*), and I can safely say they have been improving since I bought a set from them 6/7 years ago.

Let's end this off with a fight!

12358543013_b23ac9a838.jpg

TMN: ARRR!!! I'm the strongest there is in the Decool Universe!

12358368495_7a219a1da2.jpg

Tuma: What's this? A rip-off? I'll defeat him in no time to make up for my loss to the real TMN!!!

TMN: You dare challenge me?!

12358367875_a1e581a238.jpg

*Epic swordfight ensues*

TMN: Enough! Time to end this!

12358538953_47a21a7ef2.jpg

TMN: I'VE GOT THE POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuma: ?! What sorcery is this?!

12358403475_1a48120dc9.jpg

TMN: 1 Tuma: 0

Hope you guys enjoyed this review! It took me quite a while to type it out D:

Edited by TheTracer
  • Upvote 6
Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

Font: Urban Decay by zofos

Embedding images from Flickr is actually fairly easy — the convenient "share" feature is one of the things I love about Flickr.

• Go to the main photo page on Flickr (the ones you linked to in this topic) and look to the bottom right of the photo itself. There should be an icon that looks like an arrow reaching out of a box. That's the "share" icon. Click it.
  • Click "Grab the HTML/BBcode" (if it's not already selected).
  • Click the "BBcode" bubble (if it's not already selected).
  • Select the size you want from the drop-down menu ("Medium 800" is the largest many forums I know will accept, though you might want to go even smaller with at least some of the pics so the topic will load faster for viewers).
  • Once you've done all this, the text in the text box will be automatically formatted for you. Copy all the text in the text box into your topic.
And you're done! One great thing about this feature is that not only will the photos be embedded in your topic, but they'll all link back to the Flickr pages for those photos as well, so people can read the descriptions, add the photos to their favorites, or leave comments.

Anyway, back on-topic, good review. There are not a whole lot of reviews of bootleg LEGO sets here on BZPower, and you were very thorough in analyzing the advantages and disadvantages compared to the real thing. Personally, I'd never buy a product like this, but it's still interesting to see how much effort some manufacturers will go to with these bootleg toys.

The changes to the sword are interesting indeed, and show that the company does have at least some genuine design talent and creativity. I always find it a disappointment that companies like this put their effort into imitating a superior product rather than actually creating unique products of their own. Unfortunately, I suppose there's more money in leeching off the market research, design work, and marketing efforts of a larger company than in launching a genuinely original product line.

The other changes mostly seem like they were purely pragmatic — Decool didn't bother to imitate the "new versions" of parts like the pin connectors at the base of the pistons or the Throwbot/Slizer foot piece because the old ones they already copied work just as well, at least as far as a cheap imitation is concerned. Nobody would choose to buy or not to buy the product due to those substitutions, I imagine — after all, these bootlegs are more often than not aimed at people and communities that cannot afford the original.

The change in the color of the Thornax seems like pure cost-cutting (LEGO tires were originally grey back before the LEGO Group was able to make black ones), and I wouldn't be surprised if the change in the color of the shoulders was cost-cutting as well. The reason TLG used grey shoulders in the first place is probably that those were still in production thanks to Phantoka Toa Pohatu the previous year, while black ones had been out of production for years. Since Decool doesn't have to adhere to the same production schedules as the LEGO Group, they might have still had black ones that they produced for bootlegs of earlier sets like the Toa Hordika.

Overall, it's good to see how much quality and care you put into even a review of an inferior bootleg product. Your photos are good, and your writeup is incredibly detailed. I hope to see more reviews from you in the future!

I want that blade piece!!!! That's my favorite sword design. It would also look good w/ Stormer XL.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Embedding images from Flickr is actually fairly easy — the convenient "share" feature is one of the things I love about Flickr.

• Go to the main photo page on Flickr (the ones you linked to in this topic) and look to the bottom right of the photo itself. There should be an icon that looks like an arrow reaching out of a box. That's the "share" icon. Click it.
  • Click "Grab the HTML/BBcode" (if it's not already selected).
  • Click the "BBcode" bubble (if it's not already selected).
  • Select the size you want from the drop-down menu ("Medium 800" is the largest many forums I know will accept, though you might want to go even smaller with at least some of the pics so the topic will load faster for viewers).
  • Once you've done all this, the text in the text box will be automatically formatted for you. Copy all the text in the text box into your topic.
And you're done! One great thing about this feature is that not only will the photos be embedded in your topic, but they'll all link back to the Flickr pages for those photos as well, so people can read the descriptions, add the photos to their favorites, or leave comments.

Anyway, back on-topic, good review. There are not a whole lot of reviews of bootleg LEGO sets here on BZPower, and you were very thorough in analyzing the advantages and disadvantages compared to the real thing. Personally, I'd never buy a product like this, but it's still interesting to see how much effort some manufacturers will go to with these bootleg toys.

The changes to the sword are interesting indeed, and show that the company does have at least some genuine design talent and creativity. I always find it a disappointment that companies like this put their effort into imitating a superior product rather than actually creating unique products of their own. Unfortunately, I suppose there's more money in leeching off the market research, design work, and marketing efforts of a larger company than in launching a genuinely original product line.

The other changes mostly seem like they were purely pragmatic — Decool didn't bother to imitate the "new versions" of parts like the pin connectors at the base of the pistons or the Throwbot/Slizer foot piece because the old ones they already copied work just as well, at least as far as a cheap imitation is concerned. Nobody would choose to buy or not to buy the product due to those substitutions, I imagine — after all, these bootlegs are more often than not aimed at people and communities that cannot afford the original.

The change in the color of the Thornax seems like pure cost-cutting (LEGO tires were originally grey back before the LEGO Group was able to make black ones), and I wouldn't be surprised if the change in the color of the shoulders was cost-cutting as well. The reason TLG used grey shoulders in the first place is probably that those were still in production thanks to Phantoka Toa Pohatu the previous year, while black ones had been out of production for years. Since Decool doesn't have to adhere to the same production schedules as the LEGO Group, they might have still had black ones that they produced for bootlegs of earlier sets like the Toa Hordika.

Overall, it's good to see how much quality and care you put into even a review of an inferior bootleg product. Your photos are good, and your writeup is incredibly detailed. I hope to see more reviews from you in the future!

Thank you for your reply, I've managed to edit the review :D I guess I previously tried the wrong codes and using the insert image option; no wonder it didn't work (got me frustrated then, after that long review too)!

Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

On a scale of 10 how would you rate the durability of these decool pieces (how likely they are to break)?

hm...thats kind of a tough question to answer... but generally the pieces have as much sturdiness as the original. Decool pieces are even compatible with Lego's.

limbs would probably break as easily as the real ones (phantoka limbs break very easily!) though. The only piece I find slightly softer than the orignal are the piston inner rods; they bend slightly more easily when I'm trying to move the legs, especially the hip ones...

• Upvote 1
Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

Whoa!

That's awesome - do you know if they sell these online or if there is some sketchy retailer for these in the States?

At $21.44, that's a steal.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Whoa!

That's awesome - do you know if they sell these online or if there is some sketchy retailer for these in the States?

At $21.44, that's a steal.

Not sure about the states, cause i don't live there, but there should be a fair amount of such sets online. If you do happen to come over to South East Asia/ China perhaps, you can be 85% sure that you can find these at flea markets/ some toy stores (not the Toys R Us kind!). They've exploded in number in the market recently, and it won't take much effort to find these.

Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

That's actually pretty awesome.

And I really want one of those silver-gold Thornax. It looks so cool! :3

When you've gotten used to the gold-black thornax, you'd find the gold-silver one a little off-setting... Also note the difference in material (and hence 'texture') used for the thornax (refer to picture above).

Speaking of big, here's a video review of another big set (not done by me) from Decool, a Technic Ferrari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3rq2k765_E

Edited by Waaja
Please do visit:

MNSbanner.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hate to commit Thread Necromancy, but I recently purchased one of these bad boys myself and some changes have been made to the design that really impact this review.

1. First - and most inconsequential - is that the LED in the sword has been changed from blue to red.
  2. Secondly, the Hordika limbs in the shoulders are now DkStoneGrey rather than black
  3. Finally - and most importantly - Decool has completely changed the mold for the ballcups used in the set. The bootleg now uses CCBS-style ballcups rather than the ones that were prevalent during the original's run.

The biggest implication for this change is that the bootleg's joints are now more durable than the original's. While the other issues you mentioned with the set (variability in the tightness/looseness of the axle connections) still persist, I'd highly recommend Difficult Ninja Robot: Ultimate Flame as a "parts bin" of sorts as he comes with a great number of Keetorange CCBS ballcups and a variety of other pieces that are currently unavailable.

On a bit of a tangent, did you notice a sort of "softness" when it came to the features of the mask itself? When comparing the bootleg Ignika to the silver one from Toa Ignika, the features definitely show a lack of definition. I think this might be due to them using the official mask as a negative when making their mold.