The Legends of Taladi Nui

Akaku: Master of Flight

lotnheader.png

That's right, It's finally back.

Fully rebooted, in all its glory! I'll update the topic soon with a fancy layout, including details on characters, PGS/GSs and other things soon. For now, Enjoy the first two pages! :D

Page 1|Page 2|Page 3|Page 4|Page 5
Page 6|Page 7|Page 8|Page 9|Page 10
Page 11|Page 12|Page 13|Page 14|Page 15

(Special thanks to Kini Hawkeye in the past, and Inferna Firesword more recently for helping me throughout the years get this story together. its been a long time coming!)

(Credit to my Brother as well, who created the original story with me over ten years ago :P)

(And finally, credit to BZPower, for giving me the inspiration to do this, and for giving me the opportunity to meet and become friends with most of said people who have helped me with the project!)

Oh, almost forgot: Thanks to General Zahaki for getting me to finally think about continuing this; ill link his topic here once he's started his... I'm waiting, my Vahki-headed friend :P

Want to show your support? Give me the dimensions, and I'll make a Banner of the topic to fit with your signature :)

--Akaku: Master of Flight

Edited by Akaku: Master of Flight
  • Upvote 18

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

EEEEEEEEY! Ahaha! I could just fill a whole page with Capped garble right now! This is NICE! :D I really hope you can make more, I really like it so far. Who's that shade guy? Is it powerful? Will that nice craft be a MacGuffin?

How far are you progressed with finished pages? You might want to make the channels thinner between panels to help the flow. Also text bubbles - aligning text to the center has a better visual appeal and fills out the bubble better.

And oh my gosh, I'm so happy to see another handdrawn in here.

• Upvote 2

bio_sig02_lores_by_oyee-d77i3td.jpg

New pages are up! Click to see latest! \(°u°)/

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Older pics: Helryx's Fury | Makuta Sethuldur | Order's Call (no necro k? C8)

Thanks you guys for the replies! And Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians out there, along with any other countries that also celebrate it around this time  :)

As a general notice, the Guest Star system will be up and running soon, once I get the ball rolling a little further; I'm thinking there will be three types, with around two or four or so people (not including all those who signed up in the last version) being permanent guest stars, who'll appear throughout the story; there'll also be a list of basic guest stars, people who will appear only throughout a single scene in the story, and finally cameo rolls, which are basically just going to be figures who might only appear in a single panel or two  ;)

Now, to the comments!

Honestly, the first page alone is worth taking in for fifteen minutes, maybe more. The dark blues in the sky are perfection.
I read the second page too, of course, and so far I'm hooked on the style. I require more!

Uh-oh... A Moderator demands more? I guess theres no turning back now, lest this lowly BZPer be smited for his laziness :P

In all seriousness though, Thank you ^^ I did put quite a lot of work into that first page, but even after touching it up a few times, I still see a few tiny things that are bugging me... :P

Have to say though, I am quite happy with how the sky turned out! :)

EEEEEEEEY! Ahaha! I could just fill a whole page with Capped garble right now! This is NICE! :D I really hope you can make more, I really like it so far. Who's that shade guy? Is it powerful? Will that nice craft be a MacGuffin?

How far are you progressed with finished pages? You might want to make the channels thinner between panels to help the flow. Also text bubbles - aligning text to the center has a better visual appeal and fills out the bubble better.

And oh my gosh, I'm so happy to see another handdrawn in here.

Thanks! I plan to make many more, the plan is to try and release one at the very least on Fridays, plus whenever I have the time to make more :D

Thank you for pointing out the panels; I wasn't sure if I made them too thick, glad to hear a second opinion on that :) As for the speech bubbles, they've always been the bane of my existence, trying to make them look good; Thanks for the tip! ^^

You make comics too? I'm certainly going to have to give those a look at, Always great to see hand-drawn ones here on BZP!

--Akaku: master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)

I like your artstyle and the pages are very pleasing to look at, but I'd like to know why the Makuta showed up behind the star of this comic two pages in, don't most authors usually save the villain of their story for a later moment?

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Sweet, I love your style!  Though yeah, knowing what's going on would be nice too =P  It's not like anime, it's not crowded with details, the characters are humanesque but not blatantly so... you can definitely tell that it's Bionicle.  It's very original.  I like it =)

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Thanks everyone for so many replies, I love hearing your thoughts and feedback! ^^

And you'll be happy to know, Page 3 is now up and ready! Since DA got the last ones first before, I'm being fair and letting you guys have this one first; expect Page 4 to be up by Friday, where the action will really start to kick up! :)

I'm also going to be fleshing out the topic in the next couple of days, giving some profiles for characters and locations, as well as the PGS stuff.

Comment time!

I like your artstyle and the pages are very pleasing to look at, but I'd like to know why the Makuta showed up behind the star of this comic two pages in, don't most authors usually save the villain of their story for a later moment?

Thank you! As for the Makuta-looking fellow and the poor ol' chap he was seen about to attack, I hope I don't disappoint you too much in saying they aren't quite who you think them to be; more information on the characters in the comic shall be revealed in the topic as I put the bios and such in, as well as the comic itself as the story goes on :)

Hmm...it strangely reminds me of Transformers...

...I like it so far.

You know, it's funny you should say that... My Hiatus from BZPower was largly spent in Transformer RPGs and drawing TF art, as you can see here and here. :P Thanks!

Whoa, this is great so far! Your art is amazing, and I just like the looks of the characters. They seem very friendly and human, at least for the good guys/neutrals. :P Looking forward to more!

Thank you! And I'm glad to hear that, as it was more or less the objective, since you are indeed right in that the guys in charge of the AA gun are about as good as your gonna get in the story :P

Sweet, I love your style! Though yeah, knowing what's going on would be nice too =P It's not like anime, it's not crowded with details, the characters are humanesque but not blatantly so... you can definitely tell that it's Bionicle. It's very original. I like it =)

Yes! I apologize for not having a backstory or anything of the sort up yet, it will be soon! And thank you, you've described exactly what I was going for, which im glad to hear :D

Thanks again everyone for your support, have a good one! :)

• Upvote 1

I actually like it how it's all in medias res. I really like to find out the little details on the way, as the story unfolds without having any inkling. It keeps you attention. It's also fun to guess and see if I get any tid-bit out like that. :D

Text bubbles look a lot better now. And you have some really well thought out bgs! Do I spy some tires in the background? Are the guards Toa? And is there artifical gravity in the AA gun?

Edited by Stroxx
  • Upvote 1

Gallery & conceptart topic - Current: Pre-mut & pre-ev Makuta: Krika | Antroz | Vamprah | Miserix | Bitil | .. 

Hmm...it strangely reminds me of Transformers...

...I like it so far.

You know, it's funny you should say that... My Hiatus from BZPower was largly spent in Transformer RPGs and drawing TF art, as you can see here and here. :P Thanks!

Huehuehuehuehue. I think I'm actually the reverse of that, taking a hiatus from Transformers stuff in favour of BZPower.

Nevertheless, the new chapter is intriguing, so much is yet to be learnt about the characters.

Hey guys, page 4 is up! Im in a rush to go somewhere right now, but once I get back ill reply to your comments :)

• Upvote 2

I actually like it how it's all in medias res. I really like to find out the little details on the way, as the story unfolds without having any inkling. It keeps you attention. It's also fun to guess and see if I get any tid-bit out like that. :D

Text bubbles look a lot better now. And you have some really well thought out bgs! Do I spy some tires in the background? Are the guards Toa? And is there artifical gravity in the AA gun?

XD Well, I'm planning on having the bio's only appear when a character is introduced, and update it as the story goes along; I am one that loves making secrets and surprises in my stories, so you can expect to see many in the future, mwahahaah!

Yeah, at first I wasn't quite sure what you meant by centering, then it finally hit me; and now I feel like an idiot for not realizing earlier that's how its supposed to be done after all these years; thanks again for pointing it out to me! :D

Tires you say? Perhaaaaaps c: this isn't any regular bionicle universe, as one will soon discover; and yes, all the fellows around right now are indeed Toa. As for the artificial gravity theory, I imagine its still on an angle/normal gravity in the inside, I just have the camera match the tilt of it so it doesn't quite seem so, and its hard to tell since we didn't really see the angle of Nemesis's feet when she was walking up to the chair; Though, this universe does have the technology to use some Kanohi in machines; perhaps there could be a mask of gravity at work, or something :P

Huehuehuehuehue. I think I'm actually the reverse of that, taking a hiatus from Transformers stuff in favour of BZPower.

Nevertheless, the new chapter is intriguing, so much is yet to be learnt about the characters.

Rivnak looks suspiciously like Soundwave.

XD Thank you! strangely enough, Rivnak doesn't actually have any ties with Transformers; He was originally designed off of a ooooold MoC I had made here (which got revamped a few times through the years, though the only thing that really changed is his weapons, shoulders, jetpack, and a few small things) back sometime around 2006, and then got drawn in his current form back in 2010, just a few months before I started getting into all the TF fandom :)

He does have a pretty similar paint job though, doesn't he? He certainly cant spit out mini robot tape decks, though :P

• Upvote 2

XD Thank you! strangely enough, Rivnak doesn't actually have any ties with Transformers; He was originally designed off of a ooooold MoC I had made here (which got revamped a few times through the years, though the only thing that really changed is his weapons, shoulders, jetpack, and a few small things) back sometime around 2006, and then got drawn in his current form back in 2010, just a few months before I started getting into all the TF fandom :)

He does have a pretty similar paint job though, doesn't he? He certainly cant spit out mini robot tape decks, though :P

They've also got very similar faces.

They do? I don't ever remember seeing a Soundwave with a face quite like him, especially not back when I created his design; his concept (being a Toa in a futuristic armored powered jet suit of sorts) took a little inspiration from Exo Toa's and the staple concept of power armor you see all over sci-fi, but the design of him was otherwise based pretty much just on the MoC itself; the head was from me turning the Rahkshi head and the spikes behind them from the MoC into something that would be wearable as a helmet by a Toa :P

They do? I don't ever remember seeing a Soundwave with a face quite like him, especially not back when I created his design; his concept (being a Toa in a futuristic armored powered jet suit of sorts) took a little inspiration from Exo Toa's and the staple concept of power armor you see all over sci-fi, but the design of him was otherwise based pretty much just on the MoC itself; the head was from me turning the Rahkshi head and the spikes behind them from the MoC into something that would be wearable as a helmet by a Toa :P

Oh well, might be hallucinating, but to me, he looks like a cross between WFC/TFP Soundwave and Bayformers Soundwave.

Fantastic work, as usual!

Oh well, might be hallucinating, but to me, he looks like a cross between WFC/TFP Soundwave and Bayformers Soundwave.

Rivnak looks like something out of Kamen Rider, and Akuji looks suspiciously like T1S....

The first page with the base reminds me of Star Wars an if the author had not said they where not based on transformers, I would have thought that the dark gray one with the knifes was based on this a cloaker form the war for cyber-tron game.

WFC_Cloaker.JPG

Edited by tourmalinex

Rivnak looks like something out of Kamen Rider, and Akuji looks suspiciously like T1S....

Of course! How did I not notice it before?The green-ness, the trenchcoat, IT ALL FITS!

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

A few of you guys are starting to get a little off-topic, but I shall humor those of you for now nevertheless :P thank you for all the replies! :)

Random question: Are the guns being used actual gunpowder-and-bullets guns or are they something else?

Very Interesting question! :D

Well, I like to call their weaponry Cordak Rifles (even though they aren't manufactured by Xia in this universe), so they work in a very similar manner to Cordak launchers, which unfortunately aren't terribly well defined in their mechanics; I imagine even those need some sort of propellant to fire their weapons, so unless its something fictional that they already defined, I'm assuming its probably a mix of mined and manufactured materials similar or identical to how traditional gunpowder (or smokeless powder) is made :P

I suppose the propellant might be compressed air in a small chamber in place of where the gunpowder would be (in homage to the set form), and when the hammer bursts the seals, the pressure would send it flying out of the chamber much like a tradition bullet would be sent; not sure that would give it a lot of force though, unless the air was reaaaally pressurized, and if that's the case, bullets then would be extremely dangerous to handle, and manufactured considerably differently (and thus probably a lot more expensively) then traditional rounds of the human method, so... I'm probably going to stick with the powder theory for now.

mmmyes, I was thinking of those two when you first mentioned it. No definitive resemblance to either though, but its still interesting to see, I suppose :P

Figured I should show my support over here. ^_^

These pages look amazing Ak, I can't wait to see the next thousand pages. :lol:

Lets see if we'll be able to keep up with multiple projects. ;)

Thanks Zahaki! ^^ We shall see... hopefully we'll be able to manage it, at least TC shouldn't be much of a hassle to maintain :P

That last panel of page 4, though, is incredible. This continues to prove to be excellently drawn, organized, and presented.

And the plot thickens! The thick plotens! I'll be continuing to read, for sure.

Thank you, Wind'! Indeed, a lot of work has been put into the comics this time around, the bane of my existence is disorganization, and procrastination... Still working on the second part :P

Fantastic work, as usual!

Of course! How did I not notice it before?The green-ness, the trenchcoat, IT ALL FITS!

Thank you Bonkle! Unfortunately, I cant say I've ever heard of what this 'Kamen Rider' is, beyond hearing the name itself.

T1S? I believe I met him very briefly at Brickcon, a nice ol' chap, if I do recall correctly  :) Yes, I do believe I remember him drawing his character in the art book this year as a shaded fellow with a coat, the first thing I was reminded of was indeed Akuji when I first saw his character. trench coats are awesome, what can we say? c: As is black with neon green, as I'm sure my friend Zahaki can vouch for :P

The first page with the base reminds me of Star Wars an if the author had not said they where not based on transformers, I would have thought that the dark gray one with the knifes was based on this a cloaker form the war for cyber-tron game.

Hold on a moment there; I never said they were based on transformers, just that my art style took influence from having drawing TF's in the past  ;)

As for the Dark Gray one, she's not my creation, but infact made by my dearest loved one, Inferna Firesword. To be honest I think that's a bit of a stretch though, drawing comparisons from the picture you linked... not much resemblance at all I can see beyond them both being bipedal, as far as I can see :P

...Thanks again for the replies everyone! :) The next page will be up soon.... tomorrow, most likely, but I'll see what I can do c:

Edited by Akaku: Master of Flight
  • Upvote 1

Thanks again for the feature, Wind! :D

And I have good news, everyone; Page 5 is finally up! Many apologies for the delay, I had schoolwork that took priority, and then I had my program crash on me four hours in; that's what I get for forgetting to frequently save, I suppose. In any case, Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 1

Replying here since its not on DA yet. =P

I'm somewhat amused that Akuji and that guard are fighting on the sidewalk. How considerate of them, obeying pedestrian rules of the road! (Though I guess in an attack, there might be people driving in with reinforcements.)

Akuji's nose looks a bit weird in the third panel, but that might be because his nose and the background its against are the same color. :P

Regardless, good to see the page here, especially after the crash. :)

-Inferna

• Upvote 2

Dat sword design. I really like Akuji's design and glowiness so far. I'm kind of suprised the guard haven't gone dual on him from the start, but swordplay seems pretty well referenced nontheless. It makes me curious, have you used swords before?

I also just noticed, but wasn't our local Makuta all black back on page 2? I don't remember his colour scheme being revealed back when the page first came out.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

@Fern: I'm sure Akuji would stop at a red light during a car chase too-- Okay maybe not :P Thanks ^^ Fixed the nose back when you first mentioned it :)

@Stroxx: Thanks!  :) Actually, I know next to nothing about sword fighting and the sort, I just tried to picture in my head what would make sense, based on sword fights I've seen in movies and such; my brother, who was learning to be a stunt actor and knows a fair amount of things about it, said it all looked pretty sound, so that's good to hear from you as well! :D

And I haven't edited the second page... I don't know about yours, but sometimes my laptop and desktop monitors can play tricks on me from slight certain angles and make some colors harder to see/look different when I'm looking at things (or incidentally, coloring things), which can sometimes be a nuisance :P

Aaaaalrighty! New page is up, people! Sorry for the long wait ... I've been told that the 30 day revival thing in the comics forum is gone, so hopefully that's still the case; If not, I have saved all my first page text just in case :P

• Upvote 2

Aaaaalrighty! New page is up, people! Sorry for the long wait ... I've been told that the 30 day revival thing in the comics forum is gone, so hopefully that's still the case; If not, I have saved all my first page text just in case :P

The limit is now 60 days in most places, and removed in Comics, so you're fine. See here for reference.

New comic looks good! The shifts in perspective add to the action, and I kinda like the juxtaposition of the cool "yeah everything's fine" and "AUGH!!!" in the last panel. : P

• Upvote 2

I am literally only here to bump the gloriousness of these beautiful pages.

Lovely work as always Mr. Kackles, I look forward to bugging you about finishing more pages in the near future :) 

• Upvote 2

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

New comic looks good! The shifts in perspective add to the action, and I kinda like the juxtaposition of the cool "yeah everything's fine" and "AUGH!!!" in the last panel. : P

At this point, I think Akuji's partners are used to the sound of him turning their enemies into his minions. "Oh, don't mind that noise, that's just the sound of Akuji making zombies." =P

Nice to see you're back on board, Ak. Looking forward to seeing the next page. :)

-Inferna

• Upvote 1

@Windrider: Thanks for the Information :) XD And yeah, I though that was a nice amusing little touch to add in  :P

@Kini: Thankyee mistur Keyknee. And you better lad, you better. :P

@Fern: Sounds about right XDD Thank you, love ^^

And wait no more, ladies and gentlemen, for the next comic page is up! :D

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, a BZP post, and as always, your pink (technically purple) lightning is appreciated. =P

Didn't mention this in my earlier review, but I really like the detailing that's on the Trident's guns and the Kanohi Jets, especially the lights reflecting on the metal. :)

-Inferna

• Upvote 1

Well, it felt like it took forever to make, but Page 8 is now up! :D Those who remember reading the Original LoTN series may recognize the layout of a few panels :P

@Fern: Thanks, love ^^ Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the highlights and such turned out myself :)

@Onaku: Thanks Onaku! There does indeed seem to be very low traffic here, as compared to other places where I post LoTN; I'm not sure if its because I suck at advertising, if BZPers have just gotten less active, or the title of the topic sounds boring or something so people never bother to check it out :P

@Wind: Thank you very much! :D The first panel was a lot of fun to make; I worked pretty hard on trying to make it look rather cinematic, so that's great to hear :)

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Well, Just re-read the rules to make sure, and it says double-posting by the topic starter and topic revival are both allowed, so... After half a year, I present to you... Page 9!

Next page wont take another six months, I promise :P

• Upvote 1

Well, Just re-read the rules to make sure, and it says double-posting by the topic starter and topic revival are both allowed, so... After half a year, I present to you... Page 9!

Next page wont take another six months, I promise :P

Did you intend to spell 'mercenary' with an 'i'? 

bZpOwEr