Well, it's been a while since the last COT short stories contest...nevertheless, we are back! After the amazing response 55555 and I received from Short Stories Contest #8, we decided that we wanted to start another contest -- why not COT, and since it's around the Christmas season, why not Christmas-themed? After all, there's been a Valentine's Day short story contest, and a Halloween-themed story contest, it's about time for a Christmas one. Not just any Christmas-themed story, though -- a Sci-Fi yuletide adventure, a snowy steampunk tale, or an eerie Christmas mystery, along with a plethora of other possibilities.
Theme: Write a Christmas story while keeping it in one of the following genres:
CLARIFICATION:Your story may be religious or non-religious (still following BZP's rules, of course -- read the FAQ for more). However, the main theme of this contest is to write a story about the “Christmas spirit,” if you will – if it’s not religious, it should focus on the elements of the secular holiday (i.e., “holiday cheer,” presents, etc.). If religious themed, you may use Christmas or another religion’s equivalent (i.e., Hanukkah [Jewish], Saturnalia [ancient Rome], etc.). In other words, it's not so much "write a story about Christmas Day" as it is "write a story about the Christmas season" (though it can be about Christmas Day if you so desire). If you need any further clarification, please ask -- I don't mind asking any question you should have.
How to enter:
The entry period lasts from Monday, December 05, 2011 (today) as soon as this topic is posted and will end on Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM PST.
To enter, simply post a link to your entry in this topic using the following form:
Entry name and link:
Any entry PMed to me or not linked in this topic will be ignored – no exceptions.
- All BZPower Rules and Guidelines apply.
- Your story must be new and never before posted on BZP. You can certainly have been working on your entry before this, but it must be posted on BZP after the start of the contest for it to be eligible.
- No plagiarizing! Your story must be your own work.
- No cheating. Simple enough, yes? You don't get anywhere in life by cheating. Also, if you suspect someone of cheating, PM me. DO NOT post here.
- Keep it PG-13 appropriate. So no gory descriptions, excessive violence, inappropriate content, et cetera.
- Your story must be a short story. No epics here.
- No flaming, bashing, or trolling! I shouldn't even have to say this at all, but if any of this occurs, you will be disqualified immediately.
- RULE CHANGE: You cannot edit your entry 30 minutes after it is posted. This is to 1) ensure that all judges read the same version of your story; and 2) make things more fair, as not everyone will get the same amount of critique as others. So, once you post your story, you will have thirty minutes to edit it in order to make any formatting changes or to edit your story itself -- after that, your entry will be disqualified. PM me if you have to edit for story for some reason after 30 minutes before you do so.
- There is no minimum or maximum word count for this contest. Just be reasonable, please. Do remember that the judges have to read every story.
- If your story is not posted in this topic with the correct format, your entry will not be entered into the contest.
The contest hosts reserve the right to change, edit, or make exceptions to any of the rules. A violation of the rules will be judged on a case-by-case basis by contest staff.
Winners will be dictated by judges. However, certain awards will be chosen partially through polls, namely Best Character, Best Ending, Best Quote and Best Imagery. These are not finalized, and are likely to change, but you get the idea.
Most Judges will be picked by the contest staff, but volunteers are more than welcome. Potential Judges are not be prohibited from entering the contest. Judges' names will not be posted until after the contest so I won't have to hurt anyone for bribing judges. If you would like to be a judge, feel free to PM 55555.
Prizes will be announced later, donations welcome. Also glory.
Q: Does it have to be Christmas or can I use some other winter holiday?
A: Your story can feature some other Christmas-time holiday such as Hanukkah or [for those who study Ancient Rome] Saturnalia or whatever. Just as long as the holiday takes place somewhere around Christmas, it's fine.
Q: Can my story be religious-themed?
A: Basically, you can have your plot loosely based off a religious theme or feature some small religious things, but they cannot be the center of the story, simply because of the sensitivity of religion. Make sure if you do have any sort of religious things in your story that you do not make it “preachy” and that you do not too heavily focus your story on it. If you think it might be too much, you can PM your story to me and I’ll look it over for you. I will also be reading all the entries to make sure that they are not too religious. It’s unfortunate that religion is such as sensitive topic, but as it is, BZPower must have this rule to avoid offending anyway. Thank you all for understanding.
Q: Can we use multiple genres?
A: Yes, though you would possibly have to choose one specific theme to officially group it under when entering.
Q: Are fanfics allowed?
A: Sure, but just keep in mind judges may be unfamiliar with your subject material (unless it's Bionicle).
If you have any questions about the contest not answered above, please post them in this topic. Chances are someone might have the same question, so if you post rather than PMing me, other members can read it the answer.
First, however, look through this post to see if I've already addressed your question. But if you can't find an answer, or you think something is unclear, don't hesitate to post and ask about it!
Again, feel free to ask questions here if you have any. But most importantly, have fun and get writing! It is my great pleasure to host another writing contest, and I eagerly await all the awesome entries!
Edited by Velox, Dec 22 2011 - 04:04 PM.