The Next Generation Of Kids

Protohuman

Is it me or are kids getting stupider? When I was a nipper, if I saw a group of big kids I would have avoided them in fear. But now that I'm one myself, whenever I'm in a group and a little kid comes along he's like "You starting on me?" :lol:It would seem they've become a lot more cocky and too self-confident. For instance when I was walking up to a shop for my lunch, this little #### about 7 or 8 came up to me and put his arms out like some kind of gangster as if he was trying to intimidate me o.OI just ignored him obviously, but I was SO tempted to say "Look kid, I'm 17 and I can mash you down. You're just lucky I'm not that kind of person, now beat it!"So yeah, have you had any situations like that?

Gee golly, I sure do love Bionicles! My favourite one is Hero Factory!

Putting aside the whole "everyone feels this way as they get older", it could also just be a change in what's popular among kids these days, not necessarily that they're getting "stupider".

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It probably has to do with all the violent movies kids watch and all the violent video games they play. It sounds like something a parent would say, yes, but I honestly think that's what's going on; growing up trying to one-up other people impresses egotistical desires on children's minds and that translates into their public behavior. (This is all my opinion, for the record.)

Kids these days are becoming more arrogant. Why? Because they really want to grow up. Sad thing is, growing up actually sucks pretty bad. Adding up with the content that they watch (Jersey Shore, 16 And Pregnant, etc.) and role models (Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc.) that this generation has, I'm sure it's safe to say the kids are slowly drifting away from the children we once were. You know what? Screw it. they're as far off from what the 90's kids were like as can be.

90's kids were arrogant little berks too. Trust me, I was there.I'd bet at least $5 that 80's kids were awful as well.Children are - and this one's a shocker - immature. It's their thing.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Two cocky little brats once really underestimated me. They claimed they could beat me in a fight without even knowing how good I really am. There are also these other kids that think nothing of going up against me. And don't even get me started on my brother.

mindeth the cobwebs

The sad thing is, I know those kids could beat me up. I'm not even joking, I have jelly instead of muscles, so I fear for the day some cocky little brat goes beyond the "You startin' bruv?" and actually gets physical. It'd probably be the most humiliating day ever. That and I'm so chivalrous, I'd never hit a kid. ...Yeah, that'll do.Although, to be honest I won't blame the next generation, when I hate most of my generation in the first place. I blame them, and the constant alcohol abuse and teenage pregnancies. That's usually why the lower levels end up so...messed up. ...Oh by the spirits, I'm getting old.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Yes, we have problems in society, but every generation has encountered problems. Before blaming anyone else, one must realize that one's own generation has its own faults and weaknesses. No one's generation is blameless. Look at the generation you're a part of. Weren't there people who thought that your generation, as a whole, was a detriment to society and its prevailing norms? Weren't those people considered to be the old generation, the ones that were no longer relevant but tried to exert control anyway because they thought they knew best? Weren't those people the first to decry the very things accepted by the young, usually the very same things that the new generation's culture was, at least in part, based upon?Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen. We are now those people.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Unfortunately, I think the OP author is right on the money - I've noticed this myself quite a bit recently. I think the problem is 1) role models/examples, like the OP author stated, and 2) lack of actual repercussions, with few exceptions - Zangief Kid anyone?I remember this one kid almost 2 feet shorter than I am trying to pick a fight with me. I basically ignored him, but when he attempted to hit me... where it really hurts for a guy to be hit... I picked him up and wouldn't put him down for 30 seconds. He stopped messing with me after that ^_^

Children are - and this one's a shocker - immature. It's their thing.

This sort of immaturity is completely unacceptable not to mention it could possibly place the arrogant rascal in the hospital if they mess with a less forgiving individual, which is the OP author's point.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

It probably has to do with all the violent movies kids watch and all the violent video games they play. It sounds like something a parent would say, yes, but I honestly think that's what's going on; growing up trying to one-up other people impresses egotistical desires on children's minds and that translates into their public behavior. (This is all my opinion, for the record.)

I disagree on several points. There have always been games, and competitions, and rivalries that lead to cocky behavior. And you didn't exactly state why violent media causes this.There are twerps everywhere, in all ages. If for one, was always kinda cocky to the sixth graders when I was in second.I personally don't see their self-confidence as too much of a problem, it's kinda good that they can stand up to somebody older, and not be eternally intimidated.And really, I don't see why you don't laugh at them instead of being annoyed.

A lot of kids try to "act tough" because they think it will make them look more mature and grown up. They emulate and want to be like people who are older than them, whether that is their parents, the grade of students above them, the musican, politican, or actor on tv, or you and your friends. So, if they see you acting respectful, kind, helpful, etc. to others, they will likely want to be like that. If you go around getting in people's faces, angrily confronting others for no visible reason, and being generally rude, etc., they will act like that as well. The concept of being a role model for kids younger than you is a pretty phenomenal one and can work wonders. You should try it out.And if they're still being annoying? Eh. They're kids. We were all like that at one point or another.

On the subject of little kids getting more, well, brash by being exposed to violent media:You may say "nah, man, nah. kids can just ignore the violence it won't stain their brains at all", but I think that has at least a little something to do with it.Blowing some goofy-looking alien to bits arguably isn't as bad, but when kids are playing games and watching movies that contain images of human beings murdering other human beings, I just cannot be swayed into thinking that it doesn't have anything to do with it. My brain doesn't compute with that nonsense, sorry.And what if kids hear their parents or their favorite character on a TV show or a pop star or just some role model of theirs swear? What if the kid wants to be more like them and consequentially starts picking up the same language as them? You can't tell me this doesn't happen. I've seen kids younger than me using some swear words as if it's an everyday thing. They had to pick up that language from somewhere, that's a cold fact, and when kids nowadays are watching and playing generally mature things I find it likely they are getting some of this want to cuss from that media.But feel free to go all "nope" on me. This is really my opinion.

Edited by Squishypony

overlordsukapon.png

now, is it the movie's fault, or is it their parents for constantly exposing their child to it? seeing a guy get stabbed once is scary; seeing a guy getting stabbed fifty times is desensitizing. that's forty nine stabbings a parent needs to claim responsibility to.

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Both: the parents don't care what the kids watch, so the kids start watching things they're not supposed to. Why? No clue. Curiosity, maybe, but perhaps not liking restrictions they have as children. I don't know.

+1,000. I know kids whose parents are like that, and they're not exactly people you'd want to be around. I've noticed the more "in the loop" the parents are, the nicer the kids are, but that's just me.(I'll never forget that one scene in Star Wars: The Clone Wars where Arguyus gets basically murdered by Ventress. I guess that shows how sensitive to that sort of thing I am.)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Blowing some goofy-looking alien to bits arguably isn't as bad, but when kids are playing games and watching movies that contain images of human beings murdering other human beings, I just cannot be swayed into thinking that it doesn't have anything to do with it. My brain doesn't compute with that nonsense, sorry.

In that same vein then, you'd expect kids from generations and centuries prior to be even more violent, since they went to public hangings, be-headings, Roman games, executions, etc? It's like people think violent media just started. Nope!But seriously, this topic is dumb. Kids are actually smarter than they used to be. Their ability to use and manipulate technology is far greater than generations prior, and it's not just because they've had it all along. Kids read younger, kids write younger, and they are able to excel in school far quicker than children, on average, from prior generations. That's not debatable, that's a fact. Also, kids are growing up earlier, while staying in adolescence longer. That's how society works. Imagine a century ago, and getting married at 16. You guys think you could handle that?The fact of the matter is, like has been said above, every generation sees the next one and goes "how did we mess up so badly that they are so terrible". It's a cycle, it always happens, and always will. So no, kids are not more immature than they have been in the past. If anything, studies coming out now about the Millennial generation shows that they are more responsible than their parents, more likely to be civicly engaged, more likely to work long hours, more likely to volunteer in their community, etc.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I've been watching this topic, but I haven't been feeling very eloquent lately so I didn't find the right words. Basically, agree with Deevs. Every generation looks back and thinks, wow, I was never that bad. Well, you probably were. Nothing to be ashamed of, it's just true.Btw this thread is brilliant with the Ponify filter on.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

But seriously, this topic is dumb. Kids are actually smarter than they used to be. Their ability to use and manipulate technology is far greater than generations prior, and it's not just because they've had it all along. Kids read younger, kids write younger, and they are able to excel in school far quicker than children, on average, from prior generations. That's not debatable, that's a fact. Also, kids are growing up earlier, while staying in adolescence longer. That's how society works. Imagine a century ago, and getting married at 16. You guys think you could handle that?

.While I find the subject matter of this topic debatable, I must point out the flaw in this post. Technological prowess is not a standard to measure intelligence, for starters; it is merely a learned skill. As you pointed out, the generation in question was brought up with technology, whereas previous generations were not granted that luxury. While you say that is irrelevant, I believe that is the root of the matter. It's a proven fact that you are more apt to learn something while you're younger and your mind is more flexible. So, how can you say that someone who has had access to something from birth is smarter than someone who had it introduced to them later on? Had previous generations had our technology from birth, they most likely would have caught on as quickly as this generation. (My own personal opinion is that they would have caught on faster, but that is merely speculation.)Also, you contradict yourself. If, as you stated, people married at 16 a century ago, and people of the current generation are clearly not ready for it, how exactly are they more mature? Adolescence is not adulthood, and one of its greatest faults is considering itself on par, if not above, those beyond it. A longer period of adolescence proves that children are indeed becoming more immature, if they cannot overcome that transitional period as quickly as others before them could.I think the heart of the matter is that children are no smarter now than they were in past generations; they are simply more exposed to the world, and therefore are able to excel in it faster, if perhaps a bit faster than they are meant to (which would explain any immaturity one may find). Circumstance dictates the change, not any difference in the children themselves.I have also heard that a good number of fourth graders in the US are having difficulties reading and excelling at school. Knowing a third grader who has never even been taught their multiplication tables (which I had a solid grasp of before I even started first grade), I have to question any claim that children are any smarter now than they were in previous generations. If they are smarter in any way, it is because of the tutelage of those prior generations, not in spite of them.~Lord Rahl~ Edited by Lord Rahl

I remember when I was a young adult and liked to elevate my sense of self worth by pretending my years of experience made me smarter than the generation before me, because gosh it would sure be embarrassing to remember how dumb I used to be.What a silly rascal I was.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Blowing some goofy-looking alien to bits arguably isn't as bad, but when kids are playing games and watching movies that contain images of human beings murdering other human beings, I just cannot be swayed into thinking that it doesn't have anything to do with it. My brain doesn't compute with that nonsense, sorry.

In that same vein then, you'd expect kids from generations and centuries prior to be even more violent, since they went to public hangings, be-headings, Roman games, executions, etc? It's like people think violent media just started. Nope!
it's too fashionable to take a shot at the media to not do so and still be considered acceptable. that's how society works, x is good and y is bad, and if you aren't doing x you're going to be rejected. screw thinking for yourself. Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Technological prowess is not a standard to measure intelligence, for starters; it is merely a learned skill. As you pointed out, the generation in question was brought up with technology, whereas previous generations were not granted that luxury. While you say that is irrelevant, I believe that is the root of the matter. It's a proven fact that you are more apt to learn something while you're younger and your mind is more flexible. So, how can you say that someone who has had access to something from birth is smarter than someone who had it introduced to them later on? Had previous generations had our technology from birth, they most likely would have caught on as quickly as this generation. (My own personal opinion is that they would have caught on faster, but that is merely speculation.)

No. It's not just a learned skill (if that's how you're going to define "learned skill", than all matters of intelligence are "learned skills"). Kids today understand how technology works sooner than older generations did. It's not just that they grew up with it, it's that they are far more likely than their parents to understand why and how it works. They're not just more savvy in its use, they're more savvy in its workings. That's something far more than just "I can use this faster than my parents".

Also, you contradict yourself. If, as you stated, people married at 16 a century ago, and people of the current generation are clearly not ready for it, how exactly are they more mature? Adolescence is not adulthood, and one of its greatest faults is considering itself on par, if not above, those beyond it. A longer period of adolescence proves that children are indeed becoming more immature, if they cannot overcome that transitional period as quickly as others before them could.

The point of that comment wasn't that children nowadays couldn't handle it because they're less mature. It was a nuanced comment, and what it implied was that the reason it seems that children are more immature, is because society doesn't have a place for them as adults like it used to. Adolescents are stewing in a middle ground and that causes them to act out. It's not that they are less mature than those before them, it's that society has moved to a point where adolescents do not have a place at the table. It's like being an adult, in your twenties, and going to your family's Thanksgiving dinner, and you're told that you have to sit at the kids' table with your five and six year old cousins. Especially, again, when you consider that children are smarter than they were in the past. This leaves us at a really awkward place. Incredibly intelligent and capable people with no real role in society.

I have also heard that a good number of fourth graders in the US are having difficulties reading and excelling at school. Knowing a third grader who has never even been taught their multiplication tables (which I had a solid grasp of before I even started first grade), I have to question any claim that children are any smarter now than they were in previous generations. If they are smarter in any way, it is because of the tutelage of those prior generations, not in spite of them.

Multiplication tables aren't taught in American Schools until 3rd or 4th grade, on average. They are often touched upon in 2nd grade, but that is not the norm.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

No. It's not just a learned skill (if that's how you're going to define "learned skill", than all matters of intelligence are "learned skills"). Kids today understand how technology works sooner than older generations did. It's not just that they grew up with it, it's that they are far more likely than their parents to understand why and how it works. They're not just more savvy in its use, they're more savvy in its workings. That's something far more than just "I can use this faster than my parents".

That is indeed quite a different scenario, which I'm afraid you did not clarify in your original post. I was correct in the sense that I was referring to, which was not the same as what you were talking about. I appologize for the misunderstanding.

The point of that comment wasn't that children nowadays couldn't handle it because they're less mature. It was a nuanced comment, and what it implied was that the reason it seems that children are more immature, is because society doesn't have a place for them as adults like it used to. Adolescents are stewing in a middle ground and that causes them to act out. It's not that they are less mature than those before them, it's that society has moved to a point where adolescents do not have a place at the table. It's like being an adult, in your twenties, and going to your family's Thanksgiving dinner, and you're told that you have to sit at the kids' table with your five and six year old cousins. Especially, again, when you consider that children are smarter than they were in the past. This leaves us at a really awkward place. Incredibly intelligent and capable people with no real role in society.

I see what you mean, but I still find it arguable. Intelligence and maturity are not interchangeable; "acting out," as you put it, is the most blatant sign of immaturity. A mature individual maintains self control (which, I might add, even a number of adults find difficult, so teenagers are hardly to blame); without it, no matter how intelligent or capable they might be, they simply are not mature. Adolescents are stewing in a middle ground because adolescence itself is a middle ground; you are more mature than a child, but you have yet to actually reach adulthood. The phase is there for a reason; if you can't suck it up and deal with not being considered on a par with those with more life experience, than you are clearly not ready to progress in your life. Each successive generation finds it harder and harder to deal with that fact, which means that maturity itself becomes less and less prominent.A notable point to make here is that modern generations are not the first ones to act like this, nor are they the only ones to which my above statement applies. The issue lies in several generations of immaturity, upon which it becomes harder to pass on maturity when many supposed adults do not possess the trait.

Multiplication tables aren't taught in American Schools until 3rd or 4th grade, on average. They are often touched upon in 2nd grade, but that is not the norm.

I don't think I explained myself clearly here - I mean that one of my siblings is being assigned multiplication problems in their homework and breaks down into tears every night because they were never properly taught their multiplication tables, just expected to understand and perform. Not learning them is one thing, but being assigned work regarding them without proper education in that branch of math is another entirely. (This can quite easily degrade into a debate over the American school system, so I'm content to drop the subject.)~Lord Rahl~

Well, in my opinion (Which is normally contridicting and unthought-out) it's the morals.Without morals, and a moral compass, you just... do what you want, and the ends justify the means.This is extremely true these days. As mention before, I also believe that what kids see, hear, and watch effects them massively, and it isn't at all encourging when I see four year olds playing Black Ops and MW3, Watching Aliens, Friday the 13th, and listening to people such as Lady Gaga. For example, I know people who plays M-rated shooters (As does 90% of all other kids), and then go outside and shoot each other with BB guns. It's just... Disheartning.

pNNgXax.jpg

To reiterate - kids will be kids.I guarantee you there were kids in 1640 who annoyed everything that moved. There were also people complaining, blaming the moral and intellectual decline of the youth of the day on a lack of morals, or that newfangled printing press, or perhaps just general immaturity.The people you're complaining about now will complain about other people later.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

This topic has shown my reasoning behind why kids 'seem' less-mature/intellingent. And that is what's called the "Vocal Minority". (Or "Loud Minority", or whatever else you want to call it.)If you notice, just about every post on here is about the 'other' kids. "I saw some 'other' kids doing this" etc.My understanding is that, there are many more intelligent kids then non-intelligent kids. The less mature kids just tend to be louder/more obnoxious about it.

jlovfkk.jpg

Kids these days are becoming more arrogant. Why? Because they really want to grow up. Sad thing is, growing up actually sucks pretty bad. Adding up with the content that they watch (Jersey Shore, 16 And Pregnant, etc.) and role models (Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc.) that this generation has, I'm sure it's safe to say the kids are slowly drifting away from the children we once were. You know what? Screw it. they're as far off from what the 90's kids were like as can be.

And this is why I restrict my TV watching to anime only and not those other shows. Frankly, they're full of stupid people doing stupid things and laugh tracks every ten seconds. With those morons as role models, well, yeah. Also, the general attitude around academically challenged teens seems to be that it's "cool" to slack off, play sports, watch violent TV shows, play violent games, swear, physically assault those who are less athletic, etc. Especially in middle school, where puberty divides most kids into bullies and victims. I fear for the country's future in a global economy if this is the workforce of tomorrow.

aouROFb.png

Out of curiosity, how many people here have heard of a little thing called confirmation bias?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

listening to people such as Lady Gaga.

LADY GAGAA TRUE VILLAIN TO OUR CHILDRENWE MUST QUELL THIS BEAST BEFORE SHE DAMAGES OUR SOCIETY EVEN MOREon a more serious note, pretty much everyone looks at the younger generation and thinks they're stupid. you have to realize that you did all of the stupid things they did. children today are smarter than the children of the past. dat Flynn Effect Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

This entire topic is a reflection of older generation's hysteria about their children. Violence, swearing, bad role models? Gosh guys, you're repeating what the previous generation criticized you guys about, and using those same arguments about the new generation.THE SATANIC CULTS THAT RUN RAMPANT IN OUR SCHOOLS AND POISON THE MINDS OF OUR CHILDRENPlease, read the short story "Absalom" by Henry Kuttner. It applies quite a bit to this topic.

This post is an attempt to give specific evidence for what Waffles and others have said before.Honestly, history is filled with cases of moral panic and the belief that this current generation isn't coming out right because of the outside influences of some sort--be it Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber or 16 and Pregnant. Yet I don't think that anyone would really disagree when I state that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't really cause violence and that rock and roll won't corrupt our youth.Take Seduction of the Innocent. There were actually Congressional hearings about whether to censor comic books because they glamorized and led to violence, drug use, and a variety of adult fare in children. (Because Superman is clearly un-American and a devil to our poor, sweet children.) Basically, my point is that this thread is just a lot of moral panic and fear that current movements are corrupting, etc., and it's by no means something new.When kids grow, they'll mature. Here's something rather interesting that may some day help you out in a social studies class: Jean-Jacques Rousseau--in the mid-1700's--was one of the first individuals in modern European history to truly stress that childhood was a stage of development. Shockingly, we did not spring, Athena-like, into adulthood. The "immature" and "adolescent"/"rebellious" stages were an aspect of maturation, and we all went through them.This topic also relies heavily on anecdotal evidence. While that may not be terrible in this case, it results mostly in a lot of confirmation bias. Naturally, we remember the cases wherein kids stood up to us like fictitious gang members and not the times when they behaved well and remained quiet. The vocal minority seems like a majority because those situations stand out.I see that the Flynn Effect has already come up, and I would just like to point out that more research is really necessary for an actual understanding of intelligence.Finally, Bunda is correct; this topic is hilarious when viewed as people discussing fillies.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

This post is an attempt to give specific evidence for what Waffles and others have said before.Honestly, history is filled with cases of moral panic and the belief that this current generation isn't coming out right because of the outside influences of some sort--be it Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber or 16 and Pregnant. Yet I don't think that anyone would really disagree when I state that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't really cause violence and that rock and roll won't corrupt our youth.Take Seduction of the Innocent. There were actually Congressional hearings about whether to censor comic books because they glamorized and led to violence, drug use, and a variety of adult fare in children. (Because Superman is clearly un-American and a devil to our poor, sweet children.) Basically, my point is that this thread is just a lot of moral panic and fear that current movements are corrupting, etc., and it's by no means something new.When kids grow, they'll mature. Here's something rather interesting that may some day help you out in a social studies class: Jean-Jacques Rousseau--in the mid-1700's--was one of the first individuals in modern European history to truly stress that childhood was a stage of development. Shockingly, we did not spring, Athena-like, into adulthood. The "immature" and "adolescent"/"rebellious" stages were an aspect of maturation, and we all went through them.This topic also relies heavily on anecdotal evidence. While that may not be terrible in this case, it results mostly in a lot of confirmation bias. Naturally, we remember the cases wherein kids stood up to us like fictitious gang members and not the times when they behaved well and remained quiet. The vocal minority seems like a majority because those situations stand out.I see that the Flynn Effect has already come up, and I would just like to point out that more research is really necessary for an actual understanding of intelligence.Finally, Bunda is correct; this topic is hilarious when viewed as people discussing fillies.~ BioGio

You're quite right there. People like to stereotype the future children generation as mean and rude, despite it being the minority. Surely they would mature in due time.

This post is an attempt to give specific evidence for what Waffles and others have said before.Honestly, history is filled with cases of moral panic and the belief that this current generation isn't coming out right because of the outside influences of some sort--be it Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber or 16 and Pregnant. Yet I don't think that anyone would really disagree when I state that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't really cause violence and that rock and roll won't corrupt our youth.

Are you seriously comparing D&D with Modern Warfare? They're not even close in terms of violence. And I was lenient; I could have used Mortal Kombat or Doom 3 as an example instead.

You're quite right there. People like to stereotype the future children generation as mean and rude, despite it being the minority. Surely they would mature in due time.

Due time? Maturity is something that is gained gradually and deliberately; children don't just suddenly become more mature as they become older - they must constantly have an explicit goal of maturing; if they are not interested in maturing, they will stay children the rest of their lives. Growing old is required; growing up is optional, so to speak. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Pfffthahahaha.Those who don't know the last couple of decades of history are usually the ones in the process of repeating it.Back in the day, D&D was in the same position you're putting the CoD games in now - there was a big campaign against it, with people saying that it was corrupting the youth, and that kids were going to go on violent witchcraft murder sprees because of it.Before D&D, it was rock'n'roll. People got very serious about the idea of hidden messages in Stairway to Heaven. Copies of Aqualung were publicly burned.As was pointed out above, before rock music, it was comic books. Batman was going to turn your kids into murderers and drug addicts.You're just the latest in a long line of crotchety old alarmists, ringing the alarm bell because they're convinced the children are growing horns.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom