The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

in the tradition of such topics before it, discuss the popular yet oft-misunderstood genre of heavy metal here.

Other Music-Related Topics:
- The Official Music Topic
- Official Music Collection Topic
- Recent Musical Purchases Thread
- What Are You Listening to at This Very Moment?
- Rate the Song Above You

Edited by Ryuujin
  • Upvote 3

My favorite type of metal is nu-metal (guttural screaming for the win! :P ), and Slipknot's my favorite metal band. My favorite metal song is probably "Dig" by Mudvayne.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

@Dorek: Really? I thought 2011 has been pretty great so far. We've gotten new Opeth, Mastodon, In Flames, Machine Head, Anthrax, and Dream Theater, and have the new Megadeth on the way - among countless others.. better than 2010, in my opinion.@Varaka: yes, yes they do@Superbionicle: please go listen to some better bands.

Edited by Laughin'Man

I'm really digging the new Machine Head album. You guys should check it out, it's incredible. Also, I really want the new Textures album. If you guys haven't heard of them, you should also check them out.

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

I keep meaning to give the new Machine Head a listen, but with all the other new releases coming out I haven't really had time. Plus I have my doubts that it'll beat The Blackening.on an unrelated note, picked up the new Threat Signal album today - it was good, but fairly unremarkable and a bit of a letdown.

@Dorek: Really? I thought 2011 has been pretty great so far. We've gotten new Opeth, Mastodon, In Flames, Machine Head, Anthrax, and Dream Theater, and have the new Megadeth on the way - among countless others.. better than 2010, in my opinion. @Varaka: yes, yes they do @Superbionicle: please go listen to some better bands.

The lack of eloquence in most nu-metal song lyrics tends to turn some people off (especially "Dig"). Although I've heard some Thrash Metal bands I liked, such as Slayer and Metallica, so I have some variety going on.

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

@Laughin'Man: It's not quite The Blackening, it's kinda more melodic, but it's still pretty intense. I love it. Who else is excited for new Periphery and TesseracT? They're two of my favorite bands right now, and with TesseracT's new vocalist and all, I'm anxious to see how their new album's going to turn out.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

@Superbionicle: nu-metal isn't a bad starting point but I'll be honest with you bro, there are tons of much better and more interesting styles and bands out there, both lyrically and in terms of musicial talent and technicality. nu-metal is just too overly-simplistic for my tastes.@~Takava Nirhii~: personally not a fan of either of those, BUT if you like them (and other djent-type bands) you may like the band SEES. their album TheenD is free on their website and it's pretty great.

Edited by Laughin'Man

New August Burns Red album is pretty good. It's all about the midi version of "Empire" from the deluxe edition. :smeag: Also the new Black Dahlia Murder album was disappointing. Not bad, but nothing really wowed me.

Edited by HAZMAT

The metal albums that I've heard that came out were from last month. And that was Worship Music by Anthrax and A Dramatic Turn of Events by Dream Theater. Both were good, and I don't have much commentary for them, other than Anthrax is finally returning to thrash. I've been listening to Savatage and Dark Angel recently as well, specifically Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet and Handful of Rain by Savatage and Time Does Not Heal by Dark Angel. Both are much rawer, more aggressive prog metal. Dark Angel's thrash, so their progression is insanely fast and their songs are so intensive because they don't slow down at all. 9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs! Also listened to Anacrusis recently at LM's suggestion. They're good, but I've been focusing on other bands. lol.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

@Superbionicle: nu-metal isn't a bad starting point but I'll be honest with you bro, there are tons of much better and more interesting styles and bands out there, both lyrically and in terms of musicial talent and technicality. nu-metal is just too overly-simplistic for my tastes. @~Takava Nirhii~: personally not a fan of either of those, BUT if you like them (and other djent-type bands) you may like the band SEES. their album TheenD is free on their website and it's pretty great.

Now that I think about it, labeling "Dig" as my favorite metal song was premature. I have a friend who is a huge metal enthusiast that has your opinion of nu-metal as well (though he likes Slipknot). He's shown me some good bands, such as Pantera, Megadeth, Anthrax, and so forth. I like to call him my metal-music mentor. :lol:

@~Takava Nirhii~: personally not a fan of either of those, BUT if you like them (and other djent-type bands) you may like the band SEES. their album TheenD is free on their website and it's pretty great.

Thanks for the recommendation, it sounds great! I'll download it tomorrow when I get the chance. :)

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

Well, as I'm sure you can tell, I love metal. it's my primary genre (mainly thrash and prog). Favourite bands are Dream Theater, Megadeth, Metallica, Death Angel, Coheed and Cambria (not quite metal but awesome) and many many more. I've found 2011 to be an excellent year for metal as a whole, with Dream Theater releasing their best album since Octavarium (perhaps best album period), Anthrax returning to thrash with Joey back and sounding amazing, Opeth laying off the screams and putting out some wicked material I can enjoy... even this new Mastodon album sounds like something I could get used to. Also got the new Megadeth coming out soon, which I pre-ordered with the special-edition bundle thingy. Stoked for that.Also, I'm sure you all know about Lulu? Thoughts on that?xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

So far this year, I'm loving Machine Head's Unto The Locust, Opeth's Heritage, and Skold's Anomie.Wednesday 13's Calling All Corpses is also pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Skeletons or Transylvania 90210. Also Wayne Static's Pighammer is quite good.The new Mastodon isn't bad but I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. The new Trivium is also a bit of a let down.Also, the new Alice Cooper album, Welcome 2 My Nightmare, while not his most metal release, I found to be quite good. Been listening to it every morning before leaving the house since I got it. The bonus track on the limited edition release is also fantastic.But yeah, so far my favourite albums this year are Skold, Machine Head and Alice Cooper.

Edited by -Tragic Idol-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

eww Wayne Staticthe new Trivium was decent. not a huge fan of the band, but I thought the album was decent and entertaining.one of the biggest letdowns for me this year wasn't an album being bad, it was an album just not being released. Gojira's Sea Shepherd EP was supposed to be released last month but apparently it's been delayed indefinitely.

I'm super stoked for Th1rt3en as well. Can't wait to have my very first vinyl records. Also really looking forward to hearing the new renditions of New World Order, Black Swan, and Millennium Of The Blind.And from the one song ("the Voice" I believe) I've heard from lulu, it sounds terrible. xinlo-small.gif

Edited by Xinlo: Spirit Of Sonics

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Well, metal is a good genre, i listened to some metallic and its awsome, but my favorite genres are alternative/nu-metal, it probably wouldnt really count at metal but w/e. Some of my favorite bands are Linkin park, skillet, and Trust company.

yeah none of those are metal, or even anywhere close.

Darnit. Well these bands are still awesome to me. :) Edited by Kv195

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

Well, metal is a good genre, i listened to some metallic and its awsome, but my favorite genres are alternative/nu-metal, it probably wouldnt really count at metal but w/e. Some of my favorite bands are Linkin park, skillet, and Trust company.

yeah none of those are metal, or even anywhere close.

I like some bands that perform metal, like A7X, Dragonforce, Rage Against The Machine (Rap metal is count?), P.O.D., Limp Bizkit, Metallica. Bring Me the Horizon is great too, and Slipknot, "Before I Forget" is nice.

When did Limp Bizkit preform Metal?

Quit hating just because The View is a bad song. I'm not really going to judge yet on Lulu.

Dude, Loue Reed's other stuff is pretty suckey too. :P

The last topic was (and this one will too, most likely) seriously lacking in brutal/slam/gore/grindcore death metal. I suggest that we fix that.

Now, I have a massive list that I could post, but for now let us just leave it at Guttural Secrete, Awaiting The Autopsy and Putrefying Cadaverment. If you do not like those you have no soul.

As for this years releases: Warbringers' Worlds Torn Asunder is amazing -I particularly enjoy "Shattered Like Glass"- and what do we thing to the self-titled from Anubis Gate? I am a little iffy on it at the moment. I have to say that I much prefer Hansens' vocals to Fevre.

Oh and I shall advise you to skip the nu-metal, metal/deathcore phases almost entirely, Superbionicle. I would suggest thrash and power as a good starting point.

Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg

Quit hating just because The View is a bad song. I'm not really going to judge yet on Lulu.

Dude, Loue Reed's other stuff is pretty suckey too. :P
But you can't say that it's going to suck. Lou Reed's albums aren't Lulu.

As for this years releases: Warbringers' Worlds Torn Asunder is amazing -I particularly enjoy "Shattered Like Glass"

I've only heard Living Weapon, Shattered Like Glass and Savagery. Still can't find that album online. >=[

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

I'm still getting Lulu when it comes out, Invi. I'm just saying The View was a horrible song. I'm genuinely hoping I can like it as an album when I hear it.Also anyone (besides invi

:P ) into Death Angel? I've been hooked on them recently, with finally listening to Killing Season and all.

xinlo-small.gif

Edited by Xinlo: Spirit Of Sonics

E8c8QpP.jpg

Please don't get me started on Lulu. I listened to the entire "The View," and it would be really bad it it weren't for Lou Reed prattling all over the song, which makes it utterly horrible. Seriously, I want an actual new Metallica album, not a collaboration between sharks and old men. Interesting separately, but a bloody mess together.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

Lou Reed has had some duds (Metal Machine Music, anyone?) but his solo output has generally been good (Transformer, Berlin, New York, Songs for Drella, etc.), and his work with The Velvet Underground is solidly amazing. But anyway, back on topic. Anyone else like Isis? I thought Oceanic was quite good.

I listen to Between the Buried and Me a lot. black Dahlia Murder,too. I wasn't sure about their new album, I just like playing Nocturnal vs. Moonlight Equilibrium together. Also listened to the Project Hate MCMXCIX's new album, wasn't really a fan of the new singer.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Forums are back! omgyay.jpg

Please don't get me started on Lulu. I listened to the entire "The View," and it would be really bad it it weren't for Lou Reed prattling all over the song, which makes it utterly horrible. Seriously, I want an actual new Metallica album, not a collaboration between sharks and old men. Interesting separately, but a bloody mess together.

James would like you to know that he is, in fact, the table.

only in dreams.