Welcome to the first-ever General Art contest since this forum changed to a LEGO-in-general focus, and the 18th contest total! This contest's theme is LEGO Battlescapes.
What is a battlescape?
Well, use your imagination! It can be a vast landscape with thousands of warriors, or it could be two opponents only with a backdrop (like the banner above). It could be Bionicle, Ninjago, perhaps LEGO Universe against the Maelstrom, Hero Factory, maybe real-world-like -- whatever you want! It could fit with canon or be purely made-up. It could even be a fusion of styles, like System plus Technic. You decide!
Categories for this contest will NOT be decided ahead of time. I will decide them for the polls based on how many entries of what kinds we get.
Plus, there's a twist -- you get to enter more than one image! Up to three per member. See rules below for the limitations.
Entry period begins now; ends on Tuesday May 15, at 11:59 PM EST.
(This is the updated, final closing time after two extensions.)
1) All entries must qualify under General Art rules (so no comics or animations). See this forum's rules for more detail.
2) Must depict a battle of some kind; a fight between at least two opponents.
3) Must include the setting for the battle.
4) Must be LEGO-based.
5) Each entry must use the entry form below.
6) Each member can only enter up to three images.
7) You may only have one entry per post (polls will link to posts, so this way it'll be clear which image each link refers to).
NOTE: I give permission to double-post after a period of at least three hours if nobody else has posted so that your entries are in individual posts. This exemption only applies to separate entry posts; if you merely want to add a question or make a comment, edit your existing post or wait until someone else posts.
8) Each member can only win with one image. Tiebreakers and similar methods will be used as needed.
9) Prizes will be determined at a later date. Only the first place category winners are guaranteed prizes, but I will note second and third place winners in the contest archive.
10) Prizes may involve mailing, so do not enter unless you are willing to divulge mailing details to BZPower staff (but do not give that out publicly).
11) Do not rely on massive filesizes. The entry image you direct-link (display in-post) can only be 500 KB or less in filesize as per BZPower rules, though you may make that a link to a larger version of it that would show detail better (see entry form for more).
NOTE: If you are displaying a smaller image to fit in the 500 KB limit, this MUST be a scaled-down version of the entire image, not a cropped portion of the full image.
12) You are encouraged to include a thumbnail image that is no larger than 150 pixels by 150 pixels in size, for the polls. You can use cropping, scaling, or both for this, but it must represent your image. If you do not include one, one will be made for you and you might not like it.
If anyone needs help resizing images, you may ask for it here or by PMing me (you may link to the large images here before officially entering them in such cases; just don't use the entry form until you have an image small enough).
13) Please do not enter the image until you are satisfied it is finished. You may change images minorly (for example, coloring a pencil sketch), but it's best to simply wait and post it closer to the entry period's end. You must notify me of all changes and I reserve the right to deny any change if I think it's too much.
NOTE: Likewise if an image you entered violates the rules you may switch it for a qualifying one, but again you must notify me.
14) Entries must be appropriate for young children. I reserve the right to disqualify any image I feel crosses the line, and if you are unsure if something is okay, please PM it to me instead of posting.
Obviously the issues of violence and physical damage are likely to come up in this one; my general guideline is to use the same rules LEGO used in canon Bionicle, which was basically that any acrobatics and weaponry in battle are fair game, as long as no organic damage is shown. I'll make one part simple -- NO blood allowed, but armor damage and "deconstruction" (as in 2001 Toa canisters or minifigures "smashed") should be fine.
15) All art must be new (as in not shown on BZP before).
16) No flaming, spamming, impatience-posts, PM advertising, etc. Use common sense as always on BZPower.
17) Discussion, questions, and comments about the contest are, yes, are allowed here in the entry topic, in addition to entry posts.
18) This contest is open to all BZPower members, staff, and contest assistant(s) (except me).
Edit: Thanks to Eeko and Bulik for volunteering as assistants. No need for more at this time.
19) I reserve the right to edit any and all posts, if I spot a problem in them I can fix with no need to consult the poster, especially format problems.
20) If you are unsure about anything and don't wish to publicly reveal your plans, please feel free to PM me your question.
Entry title: [this line is optional] Member name: [use the name you want permanently on record] [img]UNDER500KBPICURL[/img] [url=THUMBURL]Thumbnail[/url] Art medium: [describe briefly if it's hand-drawn, computer art, a mixture of both, sculpture, etc.] Other links: [optional; link development images, and/or a topic for your entry] Artist comments: [Very briefly explain what the image is about.]
Replace "UNDER500KBPICURL" with your entry image, or a scaled down version of it. This should be the ONLY directly-linked (displayed in-post) image in your entry form. All others should be linked to.
Replace "THUMBURL" with your thumbnail image (optional; remove that line if you're not doing it).
If you wish to make the main image a link to a larger version, replace the img tag line with this:
Click for fullsize: [url=LARGEPICURL][img]UNDER500KBPICURL[/img][/url]
And replace "LARGEPICURL" with the larger version of the entry image.
Edited by bonesiii, May 06 2012 - 01:26 PM.