I have called you together today for a Purpose! Indeed, Three Purposes! First of all, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Secondly, to celebrate the unveiling of the Lego Lord of the Rings sets, which I hope all of you have had the pleasure to gaze upon. Thirdly, to make an A N N O U N C E M E N T.
I rejoice to announce that we are hosting a Bionicle/LotR Short Story Contest!
You think us mad? Perhaps you are right. Or Perhaps we are just that awesome. Anyway, welcome one and all, to Short Stories Contest #9: In The Darkness Bind Them
Graphics credit to 55555
Theme: Write a Bionicle story and use a quote from Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit as an important part of your story.
This means you can begin with a quote, end with a quote, or incorporate a quote into the body of your story. Furthermore, you may use other LotR references, but you must use a quote. Be sure to read the following:
1) You may get your quote from either one of the books or the movies (directed by Peter Jackson) -- with a quick Google search you can find many quotes from both.
2) Please have a general citation of your quote. If from the books, please list which chapter; if from the movies, please list what scene.
3) You may modify the proper nouns in quotes. There are many good quotes that contain Tolkien characters, places, items, etc. These may be substituted for "Bionicle-friendly" nouns. For example, if the quote has "Mordor" in it, you can change that to "Destral" if you wish.
4) As said, you may also use other LotR elements in your story (such as chapter titles for the title/theme of your story, and you may use more than one quote just as long as you do use one. Rest assured our Certified Nerdy judges will appreciate your efforts in this area.
How To Enter:
The entry period lasts from February 13, 2012 (today) until March 11th at 11:59 PM PST.
To enter, simply post a link to your entry in this topic using the following form:
Entry name and link:
Any entry PMed to me or not linked in this topic will be ignored – no exceptions.
- All BZPower Rules and Guidelines apply.
- Your story must be new and never before posted on BZP. You can certainly have been working on your entry before this, but it must be posted on BZP after the start of the contest for it to be eligible.
- No plagiarizing! Your story must be your own work.
- No cheating. Simple enough, yes? You don't get anywhere in life by cheating. Also, if you suspect someone of cheating, PM me. DO NOT post here.
- Keep it PG-13 appropriate. So no gory descriptions, excessive violence, inappropriate content, et cetera.
- Your story must be a short story. No epics here.
- No flaming, bashing, or trolling! I shouldn't even have to say this at all, but if any of this occurs, you will be disqualified immediately.
- You cannot edit your entry 30 minutes after it is posted. This is to 1) ensure that all judges read the same version of your story; and 2) make things more fair, as not everyone will get the same amount of critique as others. So, once you post your story, you will have thirty minutes to edit it in order to make any formatting changes or to edit your story itself -- after that, your entry will be disqualified. PM me if you have to edit for story for some reason after 30 minutes before you do so.
- There is no minimum or maximum word count for this contest. Just be reasonable, please. Do remember that the judges have to read every story.
- If your story is not posted in this topic with the correct format, your entry will not be entered into the contest.
The contest hosts reserve the right to change, edit, or make exceptions to any of the rules. A violation of the rules will be judged on a case-by-case basis by contest staff.
Haven't gotten this set in stone yet, but expect something similar to that of SSC #8.
We really wanted prizes that were both Lego and LotR related, but the official sets aren't going to be released until the summer. Instead, we're going for the next best thing; the prizes will be customized LotR Minifigures courtesy of Nuju Metru (seen here). The minifigs that will be provided are Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam. Someone will receive The Annotated Hobbit, and even more, awesome prizes are very probable. Big thanks to Nuju Metru for providing the customized figs, xccj for bribing him to do so, and for 55555 and Velox for The Annotated Hobbit.
Q: Does the title of our short story have to be a LotR quote as well? Or can it be whatever we want so long as we use a LotR quote in the story itself?
A: The minimum LotR content in your story is one quote in the body or title. You're encouraged to do more than that.
Q: Are we allowed to enter a songfic?
A: Yes, songfics are fine. If the song is LotR / The Hobbit related, then it can count as your quote.
Q: What if you don't know where quotes come from?
A: You'll have to try to find it -- we need proof that it's from LotR/the Hobbit. If it is from the trailer, though, that's fine; just say so.
Q: Where in the post should we put the citation?
A: Citing it in the story body would most likely disturb the pace of the story. It is recommended to put it at the end.
Q: What constitutes a quote? Does it have to be a full sentence? A phrase?
A: A full sentence. Though if you really want to use part of a sentence, PM 55555 or Velox with it and we may make an exception.
If you have any questions about the contest not answered above, please post them in this topic. Chances are someone might have the same question, so if you post rather than PMing me, other members can read it the answer.
First, however, look through this post to see if I've already addressed your question. But if you can't find an answer, or you think something is unclear, don't hesitate to post and ask about it!
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
The dwarves of yore made mightly spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.
It is our pleasure to host another contest, and we hope you all enjoy it as well! Now get writing!
Edited by Scriptophobia, Mar 08 2012 - 02:02 AM.