Path To Metru Nui

To get back to Metru Nui, it means they traveled down. To get to the island of Mata Nui in the first place, yes they had to travel up. There were a series of tunnels that connected Metru Nui to the outside. The Toa Metru simply used these. The tunnels weren't literally up and down, of course.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Mata Nui Island was up, on the giant robot's face (laying on its back), and Metru Nui inside the head, so they went down. :) Through a tunnel; from the Kini-Nui, to the Mangaia -- Makuta's lair -- on the edge of the dome, with a door there Makuta guarded. That was the final barrier to entering the dome's outer edge just above the sea, and then they used the boats they were building during the Turaga's tales (and carried down the tunnel) to cross the Silver Sea to Metru Nui. :)I have a diagram of it I made around 2004ish. Obviously this does not properly take into account that the dome is inside a giant robot, but the basic layout is accurate. The darker line on the right represents the tunnel to the Mangaia.(The big tunnel connecting that dome to another should actually be to the south -- the left -- through the neck of the robot.)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Mata Nui Island was up, on the giant robot's face (laying on its back), and Metru Nui inside the head, so they went down. :) Through a tunnel; from the Kini-Nui, to the Mangaia -- Makuta's lair -- on the edge of the dome, with a door there Makuta guarded. That was the final barrier to entering the dome's outer edge just above the sea, and then they used the boats they were building during the Turaga's tales (and carried down the tunnel) to cross the Silver Sea to Metru Nui. :)I have a diagram of it I made around 2004ish. Obviously this does not properly take into account that the dome is inside a giant robot, but the basic layout is accurate. The darker line on the right represents the tunnel to the Mangaia.(The big tunnel connecting that dome to another should actually be to the south -- the left -- through the neck of the robot.)

I've been wondering this also, and this really helped.

So the Toa Metru had to go out of Mata Nui's neck through a tunnel that was diagonal? and exited via a part of Mata Nui's neck that stuck out on Aqua Magna?

So the Toa Metru had to go out of Mata Nui's neck through a tunnel that was diagonal? and exited via a part of Mata Nui's neck that stuck out on Aqua Magna?
No.... Like bonesiii said, it was made in 2004 and does not take into account that this happened through a robot's head. It's not entirely accurate, so don't take it literally, it's just a general idea.Just think of it as stairs between different floors of a building.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Yes, this is something that has always confused me. I get the overland-route to sea idea, but it would seem that the Voyage of Fear route would require the Toa to go up through water at some point...submersible to surface...but that wasn't the impression I initially got. The language in that book is cryptic enough that I originally juxtaposed the two islands side by side. Diagonally down by land is fine. Diagonally up by water...I don't see any Panama canal locks...I guess the Vahki transport could survive a certain amount of pressure, but I doubt it is a submarine.

Diagonally up by water...I don't see any Panama canal locks...

It was a subterranean river, something we have in real life. And all rivers are diagonal; hence the flow. Just some more than others; the more so the faster flowing. It was obviously a gradual enough slope that it worked. :) No need to be totally submerged at any point.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Diagonally up by water...I don't see any Panama canal locks...

It was a subterranean river, something we have in real life. And all rivers are diagonal; hence the flow. Just some more than others; the more so the faster flowing. It was obviously a gradual enough slope that it worked. :) No need to be totally submerged at any point.
Yes, but usually rivers in real life are sloped diagonally down. Mata Nui island was above Metru Nui island. For water to go uphill, you need a pump...or...Weird. Are you suggesting that the Vahki transport with the Toa in it actually went against the flow of the water? That makes no sense given the scenes in the book, stuff like 'The Lhikan drifted aimlessly down the river'...It would be down, and then up...I'm confused.

No no no, river flowing down from the surface ocean. :P Sorry I didn't make that clear lol. And that was confirmed. I don't remember anything saying "down" the river, but it didn't drift, it used its legs to swim upriver. If that wording was used it probably just means "down the tunnel" meaning "along the tunnel"; probably not the best choice of words though, yeah.

"I hope we are near the end. The water level in the tunnel is rising. It will be completely flooded soon."That was a quote from Voyage of Fear. Vakama said that not long before the Toa Metru discovered Mata Nui. So there was at least some reference on the fact that the island of Mata Nui was above... this doesn't explain everything, of course, but at least Greg thought about the issue when writing the book.

I've been thinking on this, and I thought I would build a visual sketch. Not exactly all that pretty, but it works. 6898572465_7d9d5ea247.jpgThere's your VoF tunnel, I think. It makes sense to me that there would be an expanded cavern in the area of Marvah with a large pool; it does say so in the book. :shrugs:

Right; assuming water works same in Bionicle as here (and it always has before, at least gravitationally), a lake (in essence that's what it was, underground) like Mavrah's water would mean it temporarily leveled out a lot more. Were you saying that's where the mentioned drifting happened? I don't recall, but it would help it explain it. If not then oh well lol...

Edited by bonesiii

Right; assuming water works same in Bionicle as here (and it always has before, at least gravitationally), a lake (in essence that's what it was, underground) like Mavrah's water would mean it temporarily leveled out a lot more. Were you saying that's where the mentioned drifting happened? I don't recall, but it would help it explain it. If not then oh well lol...

Yes, it would explain that scene...because that's when the Toa were 'playing dead', and then the Lhikan was captured by an undersea Rahi tentacle from Marvah's personal collection. :)

If the preceding is all true, and there is a subterranean river flowing from Aqua Magna or the island of Mata Nui into Metru Nui, would that mean that there would be a constant flow of normal, non-protodermic water into the Silver Sea of Protodermis in the Metru Nui dome?

bannae.png

If the preceding is all true, and there is a subterranean river flowing from Aqua Magna or the island of Mata Nui into Metru Nui, would that mean that there would be a constant flow of normal, non-protodermic water into the Silver Sea of Protodermis in the Metru Nui dome?

No, the Toa Metru destroyed this tunnel as soon as they got out of it to prevent enemies from following them out. And this particular area in question is now on dry land on Spherus Magna.The orginal tunnel was opened to outside water by the Great Cataclysm, seeing as it would have been closed before. The robot which contains this area we are talking about travels through space; openings to the outside would be kept closed during travel to keep the atmosphere from inside the MU from leaking into space. That made sense with the underground lake thing. There might have been, for the few days the tunnel was active, a small amount of water contamination into the MU; and there was mention of "protodermis purifying" in Ga-Metru before, so that tunnel might have been open before (ventilation?) and the lake might have been there to minimize such contamination. However, I really doubt this since, in that event of it being open, the tunnel likely would have been flooded, as it nearly was in Voyage of Fear before the Toa sealed it off.

Yes, some non-proto water briefly entered the Silver Sea. I doubt it was ever open before, as it's more likely damage caused by the crash onto Aqua Magna. Also, purifying proto refers to turning it from its normal state to the state that can use powers, such as Kanoka and Kanohi. :)

Ah, yes, QB's old map. The main inaccuracies there are that (if mem serves), there are no 'silver stairs', and Mata Nui should be moved farther south (to the right) so that the sunholes come out under Ga and Ko Wahi, and from this angle we should only be able to see one hole as the other would be to the east directly behind it. And as it was made, I think back in early 2004 or something, it didn't include the other routes such as the river.It shows the basic idea of the nests pretty accurately, and it also puts the Mangaia to the north as I did in my diagram. The size is still pretty accurate too, including the "impenetrable barrier" (the robot's 'skin'). Also the stairs are non-canon but are plausible. So yeah, it's pretty close, in hindsight. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I reread Voyage of Fear and Maze of Shadows to try to get some light on this matter:

Voyage of Fear:

21903967261_d0249b8788_z.jpg

(1)

The voyage of the Lhikan had followed a pretty straight and level course so far.

(2)

The Lhikan drifted aimlessly down the river.

(3)

The Toa of Fire was asking himself the same question. He had taken so many twists and turns he was not at all sure he could find his way back to the other Toa.

Vakama led the team through the tunnels and back to the transport. While the others got on board, Matau flew ahead to scout. He returned in a matter of moments with a rare piece of good news.“All open-clear ahead” he reported. “This tributary bypasses the lake and the Rahi beasts and feeds back into the river.”

So this was the part I had completely forgotten about. Those twisting tunnels. Now I don’t know why the Kralhi would bother to drag something uphill through water; my guess is that they didn’t. Also, none of the Rahi escaped the lake to the ocean above, which suggests that the waterway there at the end of the lake was a steep upward sloping ramp that poured the water into the lake. How the transport got to the tributary and which way the maze of tunnels went – lateral or up is an open question. I believe the tunnels slope up because that’s where the Toa Metru ultimately went, Toa Vakama stopped on a rocky ledge to aim down at the Krahli which were behind him, and there is no mention in the book of the Vahki transport having to swim upriver (although the possibility isn’t ruled out that the tunnels are lateral).Said tributary could join back in on the Metru side of the lake where Matau turned left and got burned. :)

(4)

Matau turned the transport and for the first time they saw the island that would be their new home.

Also, the tunnels leading up to Marvah’s “lake” were flooded after a certain point; there are carvings on the walls to indicate that at one point the tunnel was not flooded. I imagine Marvah fled there before it was flooded, taking the Rahi with their tanks full of water. Later, when the tunnel did flood, Marvah either let them loose or they broke loose.

Maze of Shadows:

According to page 27 of the book, my previous visualization in this topic is off; the Bohrok canisters and the EP pool are both in the same room. The EP pool in Makuta’s lair later could have been over this area, but regardless of the source, if the EP was dissolving the substance around it to the point where it was trickling through the roof, a trickle could have turned into a flood due to further dissolution of the area surrounding the source. Of course, that doesn’t explain how Toa Vakama could walk back that way after Time Trap without getting flooded out or how the Matoran get back that way later, so I guess that’s out. Also, Takua went into the Bohrok nest area before without seeing any EP.

One thing that could help resolve this is the fact that the tunnels are repeatedly referred to as having a floor. The leaking EP here could have eaten through the floor below the MoS tunnel, collecting below in that huge reservoir that the old classic heroes took a bath in. The idea hinges on the idea that the Bohrok canisters would be stacked up over several levels of tunnel, with the Makuta Lair on top and to the side of the Bohrok nests under Mata Nui, hence the considerable slide – below the nests – to the EP reservoir below. What do you all think of this?

Edited by fishers64