A Red Sun Rises

xccj

red-sunrise-01.jpg"We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances. "red-sunrise-02.jpg_thumb.jpgred-sunrise-03.jpg_thumb.jpgred-sunrise-04.jpg_thumb.jpgred-sunrise-05.jpg_thumb.jpgred-sunrise-06.jpg_thumb.jpg

Not a rippoff of Aaron's sets because:1: It is not in the form of a set that Lego could potentially sell2: The characters are yellow skinned3: The characters were from my LotR Lego scene for last year's BrickFair.4: Not as cool as his.Anyway, I've had this idea for a while that a sunrise mosaic could be made, and after getting some pink bricks I started planning. The hardest part of this was building the SNOT framework; I couldn't get a perfect lineup on the back to hold the two side plates in securely, so I cheated with a technic beam. :D (I'm actually surprised about how heavy this thing turned out to be... the mosaic of bricks really adds some mass to the whole thing.)Anyway, I think it looks nice... other thoughts?:music:

Your characters were at last BrickFair? Huh, I must have missed that.Excellent job with the mosaic. You made it look like as much of a sunrise as possible using that style of mosaic. Unfocusing my eyes on it reveals that the actual "sun" portion might be a little oblong, but overall, excellent job.(I don't quite know why those translucent bricks are on top of the yellow on the mosaic ... other than to give the impression of a brighter section there, they look strange.)Anent the rest of the MOC, I think you'd be better served to put black tiles over the outside black plates to finish it off. On the left and right of the mosaic, it looks like the plates could be expanded one tile upwards, but only if you put the tiles over it.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Hay no plagerizing. >:(Topic closed. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif Haha just kidding. =P But seriously, I didn't even think of Aaron's MOCs until you mentioned them because you're right: this idea is quite unique and this is quite different from his. And it's definitely a good MOC; I like the basic structure and whatnot of it. Zarayna is right about it looking slightly like a rainbow, though. Then again, that's kinda the problem with mosaics -- if you look at them closely, they don't look like they should. Looking at the thumbnail below the main pic, it definitely is more recognizable as a sunrise (because the image is so small). I wonder if perhaps you took a picture from far-ish away that would help. But anyway, it's still good. I like how something that seems to be simple can look so good; it's a nice scene that was well-made. I don't really have any other criticism...sure, the minifigs could be better, but at the same time these feel more..."Lego-like" because of their yellowness and non-perfection. Good job again; I look forward to seeing more from you. Perhaps more mosacis/etc. for BCon/Cascade?newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender