Comics Contest #1 Preliminary Poll Linus

CC #1 Poll  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

poll1title.png

Welcome to the first round of voting for Comics Contest #1: Get a Clue! The preliminary polls will run until March 8 at 11:59 P.M. EST. Two entries from each poll will advance to the final round, along with one wildcard.You may vote for multiple entries in this poll.----------1. Call It Your Graveyour_grave_nail.png[page 1]2. The Mystery of the Toa mysteryofthetoaav.png[page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5, page 6, page 7]3. Monsters in the Stormmonsteritsthumb.jpg[page 1]4. CLPD: Case #51 thumbnail.png[page 1, page 2]5. Lightkeepersshsdghfgsh.png[page 1, page 2]6. The McGuy Identity contest_1_thumbnail.png[page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5]

Voted for Call it Your Grave, as it was the only comic in this poll, and sadly the entire contest, that actually had me thinking about the actual mystery itself. So much so that I actually went and translated the Binary on the Tablet.Not. Fun.As well done as the other comics were, I personally felt that some of them were almost... unfinished, or strayed too far from the aim of the contest.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Hmm... You know, I just realized that the names of these polls allude to Peanuts. XDAlright, the comics that caught my eye in terms of story were Call it Your Grave, Lightkeepers and The McGuy Identity.Call it Your Grave was very cryptic. It seems like a story that you could potentially invent several theories for, and while those types of mysteries normally aren't my chocolate milk of glass, I liked it. ^^ The art style was pretty good too (black and white seems to fit with the story, though I'd love to see more shading detail). Lightkeepers was interesting. Again, it seemed like a story where the reader could invent multiple theories, however it wasn't as gripping as Call it Your Grave in my opinion. There wasn't as much suspense, but that doesn't mean it's bad, not at all. The setting; an isolated island with a light house has loads of potential. I have a feeling if this story was elaborated on, it would be an interesting read. The McGuy Identity seemed more of a comedy than a mystery, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. This one had me laughing quite a bit, and though I don't think it focused on mystery as much as it should have, I still think it's worth a read for anyone that wants a good laugh. As far as artistic orientation, it seemed pretty standard. The font was easily readable (something I had issues with in a few of the other comics) and the visuals seemed to go with the story (even when the fourth wall was broken). The introduction text actually added more mystery than the story itself (Lawsuit? O.e). As far as artwork goes, the ones I liked were The Mystery of the Toa, Monsters in the Storm and Lightkeepers.The Mystery of the Toa had a great style to it. I especially love the way the McToran look, and the backgrounds and settings look pretty nice. The main issue that I see is that the mystery isn't all that suspenseful. Even so, it's not a bad comic, it just doesn't match the contest as well as it could have. Monsters in the Storm was interesting. A comic without any words and solely visual aid isn't always the easiest thing to pull off (and it really sets it apart from the others). The art was interesting. We never saw anyone's face and close-up shots slowly pieced the scene together, and that in and of itself is a nice angle to work with. From what I gathered, it was about Kopaka on Mata Nui. I didn't find it to be that suspenseful, however. It did have a mysterious vibe and it came close, but the ending didn't have anything that really hooked me into the intrigue. Lightkeepers was very visually pleasing. I especially like the very first panel that establishes the setting. What I like about this comic is what little we know, not just because of the text, but also because of the art style. We don't know anything about the toa, heck, we don't even know the gender of the toa (and I think that's a good thing). Black and white really was a nice way to go for this comic. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Wow, mine is...actually not doing that bad O_o I would have liked to flesh out the story a little bit, but I had a headcold as I was wrapping up and didn't have the energy.I voted same as Legolover, only with Mystery of the Toa in place of Monsters in the Storm.

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I voted for "Call It Your Grave," "Monsters in the Storm," and "Lightkeepers." All three were mysterious enough, and the latter two were very well drawn. The first was still good, though.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I went with Call It Your Grave because I found the concept intriguing, kinda Watchmen-esque (but not really). I also liked the style of the Mystery of the Toa. Some of the other entries really confused me in this one.Anyway, good luck to the entrants! Bit disappointing that there were this few entries, really should have tried putting my hat in the ring, oh well. Next time maybe.signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

Call It Your Grave: Must have missed the boat on this one, because I didn't get what was going on. The visual style was pleasing, yes, but it was also confusing and a little rushed. Needed to be longer and make more sense. A silent comic could work, but it would need to be longer with really really clear visuals.The Mystery Of The Toa: GEE I WONDER WHAT WAS IN THAT CANISTER </sarcasm> I kind of enjoyed it. The drawing style was pretty good, and the story, if predictable, wasn't bad. I kind of wish it had been Piraka because that would have been more interesting. I couldn't vote for it, simply because the backgrounds, especially on the beach, were SO HILARIOUSLY LAZY. They didn't look congruent at all. Just a brush over of a rock texture. (EDIT: lol that was Bio, I didn't even know. Sorry my boi)Monsters In The Storm: See "Call It Your Grave". Basically same thoughts, could work, but needs to be clearer as to what the "mystery" is. Unless the "mystery" is what the point of the comic is, in which case, you chaps certainly hit the nail on the head!CLPD Case #51: Everything was explained. Not shown, explained. The clues appear when the plot deems them necessary, not before. Not to mention the plot makes no sense. I can boil it down to "guy A killed guy B, who hit guy A with a lamp (what), then guy C (who might be guy A?) kills guy D in a park for no reason whatsoever". The victims and the murderer have no personality, no backstory, no reason for me to give a flip about them. And the detective must have no brain, because he first assumes that the guy with the lamp committed suicide? How the heck do you commit suicide with a lamp? And the TOP of a lamp at that? If it was glass, it would have shattered, if it was paper, it wouldn't have hurt a fly. Not to mention the "gee look at this blood on the satellite, that's probably not important". And the graphics were pretty meh, and they could have been better so that you could have shown the clues before just telling us all the retconning you have to do to make it make sense. Sorry if I seem harsh, it's just that this hit a bad chord with the writer in me.Lightkeepers: ... was this finished? I'm honestly not sure. It seems to just drop off before actually telling/showing us anything important, like who the victims are and why they might have died, etc... which is really sad because I was getting into the atmosphere and art of this one... I was actually enjoying it.The McGuy Identity: I felt kind of bad liking this one, because it is rather noobish in art style (sorry Ddude) and humor, but I couldn't stop laughing. The LR part, the Shadonix part, all the noobish humor that just hit a chord with me for some reason, the noob cult, it was all so very perfect. Half of the jokes will fly over the head of a non-ArtIII regular, but I really enjoyed it.VOTES: The McGuy Identity and Lightkeepers.

Edited by Zerothemaster

Call It Your Grave: Must have missed the boat on this one, because I didn't get what was going on. The visual style was pleasing, yes, but it was also confusing and a little rushed. Needed to be longer and make more sense. A silent comic could work, but it would need to be longer with really really clear visuals.

It is confusing at first, and it needs some pointing out, but it makes much more sense if you pay attention to every frame, and knew Binary and Matoran (which I do not, but still). It really doesn't need to be longer.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

The McGuy Identity: I felt kind of bad liking this one, because it is rather noobish in art style (sorry Ddude) and humor, but I couldn't stop laughing. The LR part, the Shadonix part, all the noobish humor that just hit a chord with me for some reason, the noob cult, it was all so very perfect. Half of the jokes will fly over the head of a non-ArtIII regular, but I really enjoyed it.

Artwork I'm fine with criticism. I am simply not the good with GIMP.But..noobish humor? *sniff*

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm.