Journey Of The Toa

Axilus Prime

I have decided to make a mostly canon revamp of the 2001 story, but with more fleshing out. Most of these chapters are premade. If it seems to be overly explanatory in some respects, please bear in mind that this was once a school project, so it was written for an audience with no previous knowledge of Bionicle. So without further ado...Chapter 1: The ArrivalA long, thin canister floated aimlessly on the great ocean. Someone was inside, sleeping. That was how it was for a thousand years. Land was not so far away. But that land would never meet the canister. Until on that island, a villager gathered six stones, causing a flash of light and a signal. The canister suddenly sped to the land.“Tahu...my name.”The being inside the canister stood up. He knew only his name. Nothing else at all, not even his powers or where he came from.“My name...is Tahu!”He saw his canister on the beach. Inside were a sword in the shape of a flame, and a mask. Both were red. Tahu looked at himself. He was a mixture of organic and mechanical parts. He felt stronger than most, but...wrong. Like his power was halved.“These things...they were with me. And...I should be red like they are...why am I gray?” He looked at his reflection in the water. His red eyes glowed, and all of him was gray. His arms were strange, mismatched, but felt right. He picked up the sword and swung it around. It did nothing, but he knew there was supposed to be more to it than that.“Work!”He shook it more, but it did nothing. It was, however, sharp, as proven when he cut a rock in half with one good swing. It still did nothing more, and in frustration he put it away. But he somehow, put it in a compartment in his back. Those compartments were common. He somehow remembered that. Picking up the mask, he felt power inside it. He turned it around in his hands. He stared at the inside for a moment. He put on the mask.“Wha--”He turned red and orange, with little bits of black. His eyes remained red, and only his face was still gray, hidden behind the red mask. He felt energy flood his body. It seemed to him that a part of him was in the mask, and it had returned to him. Now he felt a strange calling to take out the sword.“Will it work now?”He took it out and stared at it.. The shape of the flame ignited in his hand, and he was surprised so much that he dropped it. The fire stopped. When he picked it up again, it did nothing. But when he tried to make it ignite again, it did. He stretched out his left hand, and fire came out.“What? How? Oh no!”It was burning the beach, turning sand into glass. The moment he tried to stop it, it flew at him.“Noooooooo!”But he was never burned. He remembered in a split second that before, once, he had absorbed fire, and did it again. He made more fire, and caused it to fly where he wanted, and change into shapes. “Haha. This shape looks like a fish. And now—huh?”He suddenly remembered five other masks, and the fire made outlines of them. He immediately formed it into a ball, not knowing where the memory of those masks came from. He burned down a palm tree as a test, and then absorbed the fire back.“It seems to work...”He pointed his sword, and shot a focused blast of fire out the end. It incinerated a tree in the distance. “I...have power...over fire? And this sword can focus it...what?”He put it away, wondering where to find people. When he turned around, there were charred rocks and a volcano. Cooled lava formed walkways, and blazing lava flowed around them. He absorbed the heat from some lava, making a path. He made jets of fire rise out of the lava by pointing his sword at them, and when he lowered his sword, they died down. He walked down into a forest, charred with fire that wasn't from the lava streams.“No...This isn't right! This place...THIS should not be burned.”He shoved his sword into the ground. He tried absorbing heat from it, but all it made was cold ground. He found the cold uncomfortable, and returned the heat. “Lifeless trees...charred soil...this volcano did not do this.”Looking more carefully, he saw markings on the trees. He took a few steps toward them. In another direction was a sign with a picture of a volcano on it. He took a few steps to the center of a forest, and ended up caught...in an animal trap! Twigs tied together fell around him, and he drew his sword. Five small beings came. One had a mask like his, but yellow.“What is this? Who are you?!”The yellow-masked one said to his company, “Be ready!”Tahu set his sword on fire and burned up all the twigs to ashes in seconds, then extended his hand to trap the company of midgets in a circle of fire.One wearing a gray mask that looked elderly spoke in a young voice, “What? Fire? How?!”The yellow-masked one said, “Oh no. I don't know.” He tried to jump over the circle, but the flames rose up at Tahu's will and burned him. “AAAAAAA!” He rolled on the ground until the flames were gone, and threw a bamboo disk at Tahu. The others did the same, and the ground under them erupted in flames.Tahu yelled, “Why are you fighting me!? Grr!” He stuck out his sword and incinerated all the disks. The five short beings escaped the flames and rolled on the ground. They were too injured to fight. One with a black mask that Tahu had made the outline of looked up with angry, but scared eyes. He said, “You...if we were not from Ta-Koro, we would not have had the heat resistance to survive. Who...are you?”Tahu looked at those he had defeated. It felt wrong to hurt them so much. “I am Tahu. I have power over fire. And you?”This time, the yellow-masked being spoke. “I am Jala, captain of the Ta-Koro guard. That trap was meant for a wild Rahi, a beast of the land. Wait, did you say...TAHU?!”Tahu was bewildered. “Yes, I did. Why? He sheathed his sword.”Jala answered, “We have been waiting for you! It was foretold you would come, and protect us, the Matoran! You are a Toa. There are five others!”Tahu said, “You definitely need protection, my...friend. But why now? If I am not the only one that can harm you...”“Come, Turaga Vakama will explain.”“Turaga Vakama?”“Each vilage, or Koro, has a Turaga. The Turaga are wise leaders with knowledge of many things. Talk to Vakama, and you will have your answers.”Jala guided Tahu to a village surrounded by a moat of lava. Jala said, “The captain of the guard approaches! Raise the bridge and the gate!”Tahu saw a Matoran pull a lever and cause gears to rotate. Pillars of cooled lava came up from the blazing lake below. The gate opened, and Jala ran in.“Follow me!” Jala said.Tahu ran after him. He noted that the Matoran were average, seeing so many. And he was much bigger. It made sense that he was one of their protectors. Jala broke his thoughts. “Hey, wake up! He's here, in this hut!”Tahu laughed a bit. “You're a bit excited.”Tahu saw that all the huts were made of cooled lava. He could make his own later, with the right tool.Jala broke the silence of his thoughts once again. “So, Toa Tahu, this is Turaga Vakama.”Tahu answered, “I could say I need some answers.”Vakama looked him up and down. “Ah yes. You are a...Toa. This is the island of Mata Nui, named after the Great Spirit himself. But his brother, Makuta, put him to sleep. Without him, this island is unprotected. We have no way of stopping this dark spirit, Makuta. We can defend against the Rahi to some degree, however. They are the wild beasts of this land. But some are very destructive, and he controls their minds with masks, so he can put them to use as his servants. These masks are scarred and pitted, but otherwise are the same as ours. Each Toa can use any mask power they want. Turaga can use only the powers of the Noble Masks. We Turaga have the elements of our village's Toa, but to a much lower degree.” Vakama shot a small jet of flame from his staff, scorching the wall. “The elements are: Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Stone, and Ice. The Matoran are weak, but have great courage and skill in building. They cannot use their mask powers or their elements at all, but without a mask, if they don't get one in time, they will pass out. We Turaga and you Toa have our strength halved when not wearing a mask. The same does not go for the Rahi, who have infected masks. You six Toa can combine your powers to cleanse a mask. The Toa have these elements and names. Tahu: Fire. Gali: Water. Lewa: Air. Pohatu: Stone. Onua: Earth. Kopaka: Ice. Each of you have one element and one mask. Your masks are like this. Tahu: Shielding, but only for yourself, and only when you know you will be attacked. Gali: Water Breathing, but only for a limited time. Lewa: Levitation, but only on himself. Pohatu: So much speed that he can run from Koro to Koro in a minute. Onua: Incredible strength. Kopaka: Telescopic and X-Ray vision.”Vakama continued, “I am a Turaga, a village leader. We Turaga have these elements. Vakama: Fire. Nokama: Water.Matau: Air.Onewa: Stone.Whenua: EarthNuju: Ice.Nuju is a strange one. He speaks only in bird language, and it is translated by Matoro. He believes it will teach patience and good listening. Anyway, the masks of the Turaga are these. Vakama: Invisibility, but I cast a shadow still. Nokama: Translation of writing. Matau: Illusions. Onewa: Mind control, but it is hard to maintain on non-animals. Whenua: Night vision. Nuju: Telekinesis. We each have a spare of our own mask, and a copy of each Turaga mask in our color. These masks are for you Toa. Each Toa has a Suva, which teleports a mask to them if they want it. You have to collect the masks of the other Toa, in your own color. The same goes for all of them. Then we Turaga will place our Noble Masks on your Suvas, and you will exchange your collected masks in a shrine for Golden Masks. These contain all the powers of the Toa Masks, and the powers can be used at the same time. In addition, the Suvas will have all the Noble Masks, giving each of you 12 mask powers at the end of your quest. On the way you will have to defeat Rahi, and avoid getting infected masks placed on your faces. These will make you serve Makuta! Also, you MUST work together.”Tahu had faint memories of that being hard. “If it will save you from the darkness of this...Makuta, I will do it, and anything else needed!” He knew that being a protector was always his duty now.Vakama smiled. “Good, then. We can trust you, Toa Tahu. There are legends of Golden Masks being fused in groups of three as well, causing the powers of each Toa Mask used to be 3 times as powerful! This will aid you when, at the end of your quest, you face Makuta. Together. There is no other way it can be done. Take this.” Vakama handed Tahu a map of Mata Nui.Tahu looked over the map. “The villages. Ta-Koro, of Fire. Ga-Koro, of Water. Le-Koro, of Air. Po-Koro, of Stone. Onu-Koro, of Earth. Ko-Koro, of Ice.”Vakama said, “Yes. Each Toa guards their own village. In Ga-Koro all are female, and in the others, all are male. This is how it has been since the beginning of time. However, each Toa must not hesitate to help the others or their villages. Otherwise, success will NEVER come. Now go, Toa Tahu. Our brave and noble Guardsmen will protect us! Go, find the other Toa, and find the Great Masks!”Tahu put away the map. “Yes, Turaga Vakama. I will!”Vakama stopped him. “You are to lead them. I assume they have been told that by the other Turaga. And just for a test...Jala, HIT HIM WITH A DISK!”Tahu jumped in surprise. What was it Vakama had said? His mask—shielding! He activated it out of instinct, a shield formed around him like a dome, and the disk bounced off. “What? Yes!” He lowered his shield.Vakama looked at him confidently. “Now you know the power of the Masks. Go now! And waste no time!”Tahu ran off in the distance. Vakama walked to a Ta-Matoran with a blue mask. “You summoned the Toa, Takua. You are a hero.”Takua smiled. As soon as Turaga Vakama left, he ran out to wander again.

Edited by Tahu Nuva Golden

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Chapter 2: The Six ToaTahu walked on, with the bridge and gate lowering behind him. A matoran with a blue Mask of Strength ran after him, but then changed direction. His first thought was of being locked out, but then he remembered the Rahi. He began running, trying to collect the masks as fast as he could. So this is how to save the Matoran. A scavenger hunt. Great. He decided the first mask he wanted was the mask of speed. It would let him spread fires onto the dark servants of Makuta faster than they could see. If Pohatu has one, and he's the Toa of Stone, maybe it's in Po-Koro. Tahu took out the map and saw that the fastest way to get there was back through Ta-Koro and to Onu-Koro. He ran back to Ta-Koro.Jala saw Tahu running back. What is this? Has our great Toa retreated? No! He ran to Turaga Vakama. “Turaga! Is Tahu retreating to this village? Or is it a warning?”Vakama shook his head. “No, Jala. He would never do that. Maybe he has a question. But it is no doubt on his quest. He was foretold to be the fiercest Toa, and never one who gives up.” He turned to a Matoran at the gate and bridge lever. “Kapura!”“Yes, Turaga!”“Open the gate!”Kapura pulled the lever, then checked the clock. “It's time for my practicing, at the art of moving very quickly by walking slowly!”Vakama knew what Kapura meant. No one but them knew, though. “Go! Keahi, man the lever!”Keahi jumped out of his seat. “Yes, Turaga!”Tahu ran into Ta-Koro. “Just going through these tunnels! I'm checking Onu-Koro and Le-Koro for the Masks of Strength and Speed.”Vakama looked at him. “Ok. Go. But don't forget, you could find a Mask in the least likely place! A mask of Water Breathing could very easily be in Onu-Koro!”Tahu thought that was strange, but he made a point of looking anyway. “Ok.” He kept on running to the tunnel. It descended underground. The darkness was a bit annoying. “Maybe Turaga Vakama should have given me the mask of Night Vision early.”He read two signs over tunnels. One tunnel was to Le-Koro, one was to Onu-Koro. He had an idea. Igniting his sword, he went down into the darkness of Onu-Koro. He met an Onu-Matoran. “Who are you, Matoran? And how can you live in such darkness? It's almost pitch black, lit only by lightstones!”The Matoran laughed. “I am Tehutti. And any brighter is annoying. We have better night vision than other Matoran, but only Whenua can see in total darkness. He has the Mask of Night Vision.”Tahu once again wanted that mask. “It must be convenient down here.” He walked onward into the village. Matoran everywhere had work, selling things and feeding Ussal crabs. He walked down into a passage. The Matoran smiled at the sight of him. He burned the earth and rocks in his path. He thought he saw a red glint, but it was blood. “What did this?”He rubbed his finger against it and smelled it. “This isn't a mask, it's blood! But how?”He came to a dead end and turned around. I'm getting sidetracked. Time to head up to Po-Koro. But he saw something move in the distance. “What? What the?”He ran after it. They went through tunnels. Maybe that Mask of X-ray vision would have been more useful. He burned through the tunnel walls, melting them. Nothing, not even lightstones were here. These tunnels weren't made by Matoran. He chased it until he realized he had reached a dead end. Running back out, he heard the sound of a smash on stone. Boulders fell from the ceiling and sealed him in. It was a cave in! Thinking quickly, he slid on the ground under the stones. He wasn't fast enough, but he planned for that. He activated his mask and stopped the rocks. They slid down into small heaps on each side of him. “Whew!”He jumped over the pile of rocks and chased after the animal. It had two masks, one on each claw. One infected, one was red. A mask of Strength in his color! That one was his! He chased the creature, but it broke a wall with it's stinger and ran on.“Oh no. You're not getting away from me!”He drew his sword and pointed at the creature, making a wall of fire in front of it. He shot a fire blast out the end of his sword, and sent the creature through the fire. It whirled around and charged at him with lightning speed. He activated his mask and stopped the sting. He stabbed the ground and set the ground under it on fire. It leaped over him and ran away, bashing the wall with its tail to seal the wall. That was easy for him to burn through, but it was already above ground. “That's MY mask you have!”He climbed out with his sword and ran after it. In the light, he recognized it as a Nui-Jaga, a giant scorpion. He jumped onto its back, and stabbed at its head. The sword cracked some of the armor, but he was bashed off by the stinger. “Whoa!”He was sent flying off of the great beast with one good blow. “No...these Rahi might be strong, but a Toa is stronger!”It escaped with his mask. He tried to chase it, but he had a bigger problem. Nui-Rama, giant insects with claws and sharp teeth flew at him. An infected swarm was headed for him! He saw a black figure leap down. Was this the one commanding them? No. This one was levitating up and down, hopping on Nui-Rama. Was this Lewa, the Toa of Air? Or was it Onua, with a mask already found? He was frustrated. He hadn't gotten a single one. The black Toa was clawed on the back by four Nui-Rama and fell with a scream. He slowed his fall with his mask to stop his death. Tahu was too busy fighting to notice. He slashed one down, then as it came back at him shot it down with fire. He pulled off the infected masks, but it still tried to fight him. Maybe these Rahi were particulary fierce. He made it slam into his Mask shield, then slid under it. He did a Chinese getup and flipped with his sword, slamming it into the ground and burning it. Another of them charged at him from the back, and he didn't see. The ground shifted under him and he was dragged out of the way just in time. The infected Nui-Rama hit the normal one, and they started fighting. So Makuta's control was lifted with the removal of the infected masks. He got to his feet. “Who in Mata Nui did that?” The black Toa answered, “You can thank me later. That little shift of the earth saved your life!”“Are you Onua? The Toa of Earth?”“Yes,” the black-armored and clawed hunchback answered. “I am.”“A Rahi escaped with my mask!”“We'll find it. We'll have to!” Onua stabbed the eyes of a Nui-Rama with his claws and made it spin in the air, trying to shake him off. Another one came and knocked him off, but the first one was still spinning. Tahu heated his sword and sliced through it like butter. The second one pulled back, then flew at Onua again. He made a hand of soil stretch from the ground and pull it down. He switched to his mask of Strength and ripped off parts of more Nui-Rama with his claws. Tahu blocked attacks then returned with blazing fires. He ducked under one, and Onua finished it as it flew. Tahu saw one coming from behind Onua and burned it. “Come on!” Onua yelled. “We can go through—here!”He opened a tunnel and Tahu followed. He turned back to melt the armor of several Nui-Rama partway and push them together. He slashed down one down and it fell into the tunnel. “Onua, special delivery!” Onua clawed into it's deep muscle and tossed it up. “The delivery is for you, Tahu!”Tahu pulled the Nui-Rama that he fused together over the hole. More Nui-Rama killed them, but followed Tahu and Onua. Onua sealed a wall of earth there, and Tahu melted it, making something like lava. The Nui-Rama ran through and ended up fused together and roaring in pain. Tahu sliced their heads off unceremoniously. “I hate those things.” Tahu said.They ran through the tunnel and found a destroyed Nui-Jaga nest with a dead purple Nui-Jaga. “Did you know this was leading here?” Tahu asked.“No, we just needed a quick escape.”Tahu and Onua looked around. Tahu burned the slimy goo and eggs to cinders. Onua shifted the soil out of the way so he could have a look around. Tahu said, “I wish Lewa was here. He could blow out the dust and grime I burned up.“You've met him?”“No. Turaga Vakama told me all the details of our quest.”“Oh. Turaga Whenua did the same to me, and told me to listen to the earth. I think I can do that.”“I'd expect that from you.”“Well, a better skill than burning what you could have listened to.”“Ha. Fire consumes and illuminates. Very useful.”“But Earth is the root of the universe. It has so many ways it goes, and all must stand on it.”“Did I say that the other elements were unimportant? We must work with unity, as our elements do.”“Yes. Sometimes we will be forced to learn from our mistakes though. That will make us strong.”“Better not to make them. Now let's go and get the masks!”“But there could be—see? One for Lewa, up on the wall. A mask of shielding.” Onua made the earth holding it release it, and it fell to the ground with a clatter.Onua said, “Ironic. Lewa has the mask of levitation, and it would have been useful here. At least his mask is safe.”Tahu answered, “You have one too.”“Yeah, but it's not on my Suva. I can't switch that fast.”Before Onua finished, another Nui-Jaga returned to the dead body of the purple one. This one was blue—and it had Tahu's mask of strength!“Tahu, let's take it together!”“No! This is my fight! Put your mask on your Suva! I have a score to settle with this one!”“This is bad...I'll let you learn from your mistake.”Onua turned away and left. He returned quickly, because he had the luck to find Onepu, captain of the Ussalry, and give him the masks of shielding and levitation to put on the Suva. Tahu drew his sword and trapped the Nui-Jaga in a circle of fire, then used the distraction to shoot it into the wall with fire. He tried to melt the wall into lava, but it ran to the side and stung him. He flew to the other side. It struck at him again, but he stopped it with his mask. He stabbed the ground and melted it under the Nui-Jaga. He stuck his sword straight into the lava and heated it more. The beast knocked off his mask as he brought the sword up and flipped it over. He stabbed down at its exposed belly, but it rolled over and knocked him with its stinger into the wall, far from his mask. It went for his mask, but he made it hit a wall of fire. Enraged, it struck at the mask with a burning stinger. He jumped in front, but it slammed him into the wall with the stinger and tossed him aside. He whirled around and cut the tail off with his heated blade, and it screamed at him. It grabbed the mask of shielding with its claw. Tahu swung his sword, but being maskless took its toll on him. The swing was too weak, and it bit his arm, causing him to drop the sword.“AAAAAA!”He burned the inside of its mouth and it let go. He feinted a grab for his mask, but took the mask of strength instead, surprising it. He had his full energy back, and his strength. But it took him by surprise and punched him. It threw his mask of shielding aside and bit his head. He couldn't get it off. He fell, and by pure luck, his hand landed on the sword handle. OW! Maybe I should have accepted his help! No! I can't die crushed by an overgrown—He heated the blade and stabbed it with enhanced strength, burning its organs from the inside out. Even the mechanical parts and armor melted to slag. –insect! He put away his sword and threw the monster aside.“Ok, Onua. I could have used your help. I almost lost my life and my first mask.” Tahu grinned, and so did Onua. “But I still won.” Onua's face darkened, and he almost facepalmed. Seeing Onua's expression, Tahu said, “I did learn that we must have unity, even when pride is threatened.” As an afterthought, he added. “I am so awesome.”Onua laughed. “Glad to see you learned your lesson.”Tahu was happy. “Yeah. I guess I did. Now who did you give those masks to? I saw your Suva when I passed through here, it wasn't that close.”“Onepu, but he just went to deliver them. Give it to me, and another member of his Ussalry can deliver it on the back of an Ussal crab.”Tahu gave the Mask of Strength to Onua and put on his mask of Shielding. Onua gave the mask to an ussalry member to put on the Suva. They walked up out of Onu-Koro and onto the desert.Tahu said, “Let's search a bit. This way.” They went on to a cliff. “This cliff...it's so high. The perfect place for Makuta to hide a mask. Let's go up.”Onua said, “I'll go underground and come out on the other side. He stabbed his claws into the ground and made a tunnel.“Good! I'll search above.”Tahu climbed the cliff, sticking his sword into the cliff with every step up. He even jammed it into a Mask of Strength for Pohatu. “IN A CLIFF?! WHAT KIND OF HIDING PLACES ARE THESE?!” He went up and met Onua at the top. Onua reached for his mask of speed, but a Nui-Kopen, a cousin of the Nui-Rama, took it and flew away. More followed, each armed with a stinger and more powerful wings and claws. One flew by with Tahu's mask of speed. “Onua, your mask should be at your Suva by now! Grab my hand and levitate us up there! Now!”Onua switched his mask and they got on two Nui-Kopen. Onua changed back to his mask of strength. The Nui-Kopen tried to sting Tahu, but he blocked it with his shield and put it off balance. He took off its infected masks and threw them down. Onua did the same, and Tahu summoned his mask of Strength. Tahu said, “I have a plan! Let's break these animals and chase the others!”Onua ripped the stinger off of his Nui-Kopen with his claws and strength. Tahu did the same with his sword, and they used their enhanced strength to steer them. The wild Rahi tried to shake them off, but they pulled on the Nui-Kopen's heads and flew them to the ones with their masks. Tahu went up and airstruck all the other Nui-Kopen with fire, causing them to burn all over. He kept the supply of deadly flames in good stock until they died. He ran out of elemental energy. By now they were having a hard time keeping up. Tahu went forward to the last two enemies. Onua killed his steed and jumped off, slowing his fall with the mask of levitation. But that made him too slow to land on the enemies, and Tahu had to grab his hand and save him. Onua made the ground shoot up and one Nui-Kopen was hit with flying trees. They were getting close to Le-Koro, and endangering the Matoran! It flew at Onua, and met his claws. He ripped it apart headfirst with his mask power, and took his mask of speed. Nui-Rama were headed straight at Tahu and Onua though, and Onua put on his new mask. He slashed at their eyes with enough speed to blind them all. His strikes were too fast, and he, unlike Pohatu, had sharp weapons. Suddenly, a green Toa swung on a vine and hit the last Nui-Kopen in the head with an axe. It released the red mask of speed, and he made a breeze to bring it to Tahu. Onua caught it while Tahu was busy steering. He switched back to his mask of shielding as a Nui-Rama came to attack, but when he blocked, he didn't have enough strength to steer. Onua and Tahu fell.“Tahu, you fool!”“What's worse, death by falling, or death by Nui-Rama?”A female voice said, “Try not dying at all, friends!” Gali, the blue Toa, jumped from a tree, and made a wave from the swamp water below to swim in. She used her mask to breathe the water, and caught Tahu and Onua in the wave. She released them and they all fell on a bridge—one on the treetops.There were no Le-Matoran around though. Lewa slowed his fall down and joined them. “Come on, let's drive these Nui-Rama back!” He made a tornado that swept them all up, and Tahu added his own power to the mix. “Fire tornado!”Lewa said, “Haha! Yes! Time to let them down! Have a nice quick-fall, thieves!”Tahu facepalmed. “The hive is right there, why didn't you blow them there and let the hive burn?”“I called them thieves for a reason, fire-spitter. They kidnapped some Matoran! That's why the rest hide in bushes and trees! Even Turaga Matau must do it! I have told them I will stop the swarm, and they can hide! But they are used to quick-moving and sing-song fun. They hate being still and quiet, like Onua here. You are Onua, right? You're hunchbacked! Odd-strange.Onua answered, “We of Onu-Koro prefer the silence. I heard in Ko-Koro it's even quieter.”Lewa said, “Boring!” He levitated and blew himself to the hive. Gali yelled, “Wait! We can do it together! Lewa!”Tahu turned to leave. “Never mind him, we can get him later. Maybe he'll learn a lesson about teamwork, like I did.”Onua put a hand on Tahu's shoulder. “What if he learns it a bit too hard? I'll go with him. Gali, absorb the water from this, and I'll use it to travel to the hive.” He made a pillar of earth, taken from the swamp, and Gali dried it out to make it more firm. Onua went after Lewa.Tahu looked at him as he left. Without turning to Gali, he said, “I hope they get back alive.”She said, “They will. It's their destiny. Well, Turaga Nokama said that destinies are usually completed.”“Usually.” Gali gave him a mask of levitation in his color. “I found this for you. I collected my X-ray vision, Levitation, and Shielding masks.”“Thank you. But I have nothing for you.”Gali smiled at him. “In Ga-Koro there are two masks next to each other. But they're guarded by a group of Tarakava. We can take them together.”“What are they?”“Your X-ray vision and my Strength. We'll go when the other Toa come back. Oh, and I helped Lewa get a mask of Water Breathing.”“I hate standing around. We need to get more masks!”“Patience, Tahu! When they return, we go! We must find each other! Unity is our power!”“If you insist...” Tahu growled and paced around. Gali sat down. Tahu thought, I just HAVE to find more masks. Sitting around won't help! But then he remembered how much working alone had nearly cost him. He sat down, but then got up. He couldn't help but pace.Lewa stumbled in the darkness. There was little light, and little chance of not being spotted by a Nui-Rama. But he could move more silently than even the nearly mute Kopaka, when he wanted to. Onua followed him. “Onua, how did you get here?”“Never mind. I came to help. Tahu learned that going alone is a problem the hard way.”“Ha! He's a slow-foot hot-head!”“Your head could use some cooling down too. At least he was more mature.”A patrolling Nui-Rama suddenly ambushed Onua from the back. He increased his strength and ripped out some of it. It spun in midair and met Lewa's axe. It fell and screeched.“Hurry, Onua! I need to get my mask, it was knocked off! And more are sure to come!” Onua had better night vision, and saw what Lewa didn't. Lewa grabbed a mask of levitation, and Onua yelled, “NO!” But it was too late. Nui-Rama closed in from the other side, and Lewa attacked Onua. He had put on an infected mask.Onua threw Lewa with his strength into the group of Nui-Rama. Some Nui-Rama left to try to stop a mass breakout. Takua and a Le-Matoran named Kongu were riding a Kahu bird and leading a mass breakout. Mounted Le-Matoran flew in and hit Nui-Rama while taking back other Le-Matoran. Onua was tackled through two walls by Lewa, who boosted the tackle with wind, but he picked up a mask of Shielding in his color and Lewa's mask of X-ray vision along the way to his fall. Throwing off Lewa, he clawed his stomach, and spun him around. He stuck his claws into Lewa's chest, but not enough for a lethal blow, and kicked him away from the back, ripping off some skin and armor. Lewa yelled at him in rage that was not his own. Lewa could see everything but couldn't control himself. Onua gave the masks to a Le-Matoran on a Kewa. “Take these to the right Suvas.”Tamaru answered, “Yes, Toa Onua!” Seeing Lewa attack Onua again, he said, “And get that thing off his face!” Tamaru flew away and the evacuation was finished.Onua pushed his claws onto Lewa's wrist and took the axe. He punched Lewa as he dived for his axe, but Lewa blew him out of the hive and sent him falling to his doom out of the hive. He levitated onto a tree. Lewa slowed his fall and joined him on the tree. Tahu and Gali jumped and levitated to join the other two. Tahu had a plan. “Gali, grab the Nui-Rama with Lewa's real mask with your hook, and grab Lewa's infected mask!” Gali did both, but Lewa pulled her hand off and blew his axe from the hive to his hand. Onua caused an earthquake that caused the tree to fall, but Lewa had more agility. He knocked Onua to the ground with his axe and levitated gently down. Gali was being dragged away. Tahu used his mask of strength to keep his hold on her. “Gali, put your claw between its hand and the mask, then let go of the Nui-Rama before my grip slips!” She did that and pulled the mask free. Tahu's feet slipped, and they fell, but Gali levitated and grabbed Tahu, then put her hook into a tree. Tahu stabbed the tree and they both climbed up.Onua put on his mask of speed, and ran around Lewa. Lewa made a tornado spinning the other way, and Onua was swept up. But Onua's arm was fast enough, and he grabbed the infected mask. Lewa was taken with him though, instead of the mask coming off. Lewa hit him with his axe and made him nearly let go.“If you think that will make me let go, Makuta--” He tore the mask off and used his mask of strength to rip it apart. “--think again. Lewa, are you okay?”Lewa was embarrassed. “Maybe I should listen more. Thank you, brother.” Gali gave Lewa his mask and he put it on. Then Tahu ordered all the masks they had to be placed on the Suvas, except for their first masks.Tahu said, “I think that was hard enough.”Onua yelled, “Not for them!” Nui-Rama flew after the delivery Matoran and the Toa.Gali hit the Nui-Rama with a wave and trapped them in a ball of water. “Tahu, boil it!”He did that, and the Nui-Rama died of suffocation and burns, after a minute.Lewa looked at them, “Again I see why Unity is important. And that wings are useless in water.” He laughed, and so did the others.Tahu was the first to speak again. “Let's go to Ga-Koro, then. There are some masks there, according to Gali.” Onua looked over in the distance. “Wait! The other Toa approach from Ko-Koro!”Tahu ran first. “Come on then!” He was followed by Lewa, and then by Gali.Gali spoke to Onua. “So, Onua. You seem to be the wise one among us.”Onua smiled. “Maybe. But I hate that topic. It makes me fear overconfidence in my own...wisdom.”Gali smiled back. “That's very wise, Onua.” They both laughed. “Now let's meet the other Toa.”The six Toa met together. Kopaka stood, tall like the others, and white. He had a sword and a shield. This sword was even sharper than Tahu's.Pohatu was quite a sight. He was brown, and hunchbacked. But he also had an upside-down torso, giving him more strength with his legs and speed with running. He had short, stubby arms with spikes coming out the sides. He had no weapons, but he had metal attachments on his foot armor so that he could kick at full power without hurting himself.Tahu approached them. “Kopaka. Pohatu. Come, and join us. We can fight together.”Kopaka spat. “I hate not being able to work alone.”Pohatu nudged Kopaka with his knee. “Come now, brother. I've saved your life too many times for you not to know we must work together. Greetings, friends.”Kopaka said, “I suppose.” He didn't bother to say greetings.Tahu broke in. “Now that we're all more or less accquainted, let's go and find our masks! We have a job to do! And you, Kopaka, seem too hardheaded and cold to learn the lesson I did about Unity.Lewa said, “I learned it harder. Take his advice. I didn't quick-learn like he did.”Onua said, “But I saved him. That's what friends are for!”Gali walked up to Kopaka, unlike the others. “And that's what unity is for.”Kopaka turned away. “Whatever.” This Tahu is just full of hot air. Lewa is immature, Gali forces unity, Onua always talks about experiences that I could learn from. I'm losing my patience, even Pohatu's friendliness can get on my nerves.Tahu broke the silence of Kopaka's thoughts yet again. “If you don't mind, we'll go together now. To Ga-Koro!”They marched on to Ga-Koro.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Chapter 3: The SplitThe Toa had reached Ga-Koro. Gali swam underwater and made a dry path for Tahu go through.“Sorry, brothers. Only Tahu can come right now, this takes a lot of effort.” “So, Gali. Why did you never wash the masks out?” Tahu asked.“The Tarakava would gang up on me, beat me up, and take back the masks.”“Well, let's see if we can distract them and wash them out, then fight them as a team.”Tahu shot fire and struggled to maintain it underwater. He saw the Tarakava. They were like lizards with sharp teeth, lightning-fast fists, and a tread roller for a foot. He hit some Tarakava and they charged at him. One punched at him, but he blocked it, and Gali washed them all out of the way. Lewa joined in and used his mask of Water Breathing to go down quickly and get the masks up. When he was chased on shore by Tarakava, Pohatu knocked them out of the way with boulders. As they flew, Onua made them fall into a tunnel and sealed them in. He called out, “Tahu! Melt this into lava and kill them!”Tahu and Gali came out of the water and Tahu said, “Lewa! Blow the sand out of my way!”Lewa made a tornado, picking up sand and Tarakava. Tahu killed the ones underground with lava and burned the tornado full of sand, making glass. More Tarakava came, broke the glass, and knocked down Tahu and Lewa from behind. Gali washed them into the water. Kopaka summoned his mask of Water breathing and stabbed one in the back. He blocked an attack from another with his shield. It punched the shield out of his hand, but he froze it and many others, including the one he stabbed. He knew he couldn't break them to pieces himself, and Pohatu had more strength in his legs than any Toa did in his arms. So now I see the value of unity. “Pohatu! I can only keep them frozen for so long! Get down here and kick them!”Pohatu shuddered in fear. His worst fear was water. He couldn't swim an inch, only walk on the ocean floor. “I can't swim!”“Pohatu! You have to! I see why we need unity, and only you can do this!” A Tarakava broke free and knocked down Kopaka. The ice was starting to melt. “No! Kopaka!” Pohatu dived in to save his friend. He froze in fear, feeling the wetness around him and already wanting to breathe. He used his leg strength, boosted by his mask of speed, to go faster than any other Toa with a mask of speed. He got to the Tarakava, and using his mask of strength, kicked them to pieces. More came and knocked him down, but he made nearby boulders hit them away. They were knocked onto shore where they were put into glass by Tahu and Lewa, then Tahu stabbed the glass slowly with a heated blade and burned them all inside. Pohatu found two masks of Water Breathing on the ground, one for him, one for Tahu. He put on his, took a deep breath, and helped Kopaka up. Both breathed water all the way to the shore. Tahu, Onua, and Pohatu used their masks of speed to get the new masks to the Suvas and returned. Lewa was curious. “So, Kopaka. Pohatu. What masks do you have anyway?”Pohatu answered, “I'm glad you asked! Shielding, Strength, Speed, Water Breathing, and X-Ray vision!”“Quite a bunch!”, Lewa answered excitedlyTahu broke in. “But now, thanks to Pohatu, I have all my masks. Turaga Vakama told me after we all find our masks, THEN he will give us the secret of forming the Golden Masks, and the other Turaga will do the same for you. I see no reason for handicapping me right now, because using the masks at the same time would be very useful!”Gali said, “Patience, Tahu. They have their reasons. Now, Kopaka. What masks do you have?”He answered, “Shielding, Levitation, X-Ray vision, and Water Breathing.”Tahu broke in again. “So we all have shielding. Now, I've noticed our masks tend to be in places we have a hard time reaching. So our last few should be in the worst places. Lewa and Gali, go to Po-Koro. You should find yours there.”Kopaka still preferred having the least amount of company he could. “Splitting up. I like it.”Tahu smirked. “You'll like it less. I'll come with you to TA-KORO, where we'll look for your last masks.”Onua and Pohata were confused. Pohatu said, “Why your comfort zone?” That's not fair!”Tahu answered them quickly. “I'll be very helpful there.”Kopaka said, “Actually, Toa of Hot Air, I would rather go with another.Onua stopped Kopaka. “Then learn unity with Tahu.”“I might thank you for that later Onua, but not while this trip is happening, “ Tahu said irritably. “Now you two have to find the rest of your masks in Le-Koro, off the ground you're so close to. Split up! We'll meet at the beach here. At this mark. He burned a glass mask of shielding into the sand.”Gali interrupted the plan. “What if we don't have enough power when separated?”Lewa put a hand on her shoulder. “We will have to. The Matoran need us to do this quickly! Look what nearly happened to Le-Koro!”“The same may happen to us, brother, “ she said nervously.“Are we going to stand around, “ Tahu said, “or find our masks? Move!”Onua and Pohatu used their masks of speed to run first to the Le-Koro swamp. Tahu and Kopaka walked slowly and unsurely. Gali and Lewa walked together, with Lewa rushing and Gali being a bit slow. She only overcame her fear when the others were out of sight.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Chapter 4: The Golden MasksOnua and Pohatu had found two masks. Pohatu's Levitation mask was on a Kane-Ra, a bull-like Rahi that stood on a tread like a Tarakava and had stronger but slower arms. It had red and black armor. Onua's X-Ray vision mask was on a Muaka, exactly like the Kana-Ra but with no horns, a more tiger-like head, and yellow and black armor. Both were wearing the masks of the Toa on one side and an infected mask on the other. Pohatu had looked through the bushes with his mask of X-Ray vision and seen them coming. If he hadn't, they would be dead within the next few seconds. The Kane-Ra charged to gore them. The Muaka welcomed them with gaping jaws. Pohatu jumped over the Kane-Ra, made it slam into a wall of stone, and kicked at the Muaka. But it backed up quickly and moved forward again to bite his leg. Onua loosened the soil up and jammed the treads, causing the Muaka to fall. When the Kane-Ra tried to gore him, he dodged with his mask of speed, jumped on it, and used his mask of strength and claws to rip out the horns. But the Muaka bit him and threw him off. He levitated gently down and Pohatu made a huge boulder. He kicked it at the Muaka, then ran with super speed to the other side and kicked the Muaka itself, jamming its face into the rock. He then got punched from both sides and knocked down. The Muaka almost rolled over him, but he used his shielding mask. Onua jammed the treads again, and made two small earthquakes, just enough to knock them down and make a few trees fall on them. But a mask of shielding could only protect when the user knew an attack was coming, and it fell on Pohatu too. The Muaka bit a tree in half and hit Pohatu with it. When Onua came at it from behind, the Kane-Ra bashed him to the side.Pohatu dogded a bite from the Muaka and kicked his mask of levitation off of it. But it was still infected and threw the mask far away. Pohatu sped at it and caught it. Onua shifted the ground and slammed the two Rahi together. He bounced them around with pillars of earth, until they fell into the swamp. Pohatu made a wall of stone there. Those Rahi couldn't swim to begin with, so that was unnessesary. Actually, it was bad. Onua facepalmed. “Wait, my mask is still down there! But the Makuta had no mercy. A giant ratlike Rahi, with a Muaka-like head and stronger jaws, two treads, and twice the size and power, appeared and punched Onua away. It was called a Kuma-Nui.He levitated but he had been punched with such force that he slammed into a tree anyway. He fell gently though. He made some trees fall again but the Kuma-Nui bit them all in half with one bite, and threw them at Onua and Pohatu. Pohatu moved to the left quickly, but he saw Onua almost get hit out the corner of his eye. Even the split second of teleporting a mask from a Suva was too much time, and Pohatu saved Onua in that split second.“Thanks, brother. SHIELDS UP!” They raised their mask shields just in time to block more trees being thrown. It charged at them and overpowered the energy shields with their jaws. It even knocked the masks of shielding off their faces.” Turaga Matau intervened this time. He swung down and cut it in the back with his staff, which had a buzzsaw on the end of it. He used all his wind power to blow the masks back to the two Toa. The Kuma-Nui threw him off and bit his staff. He cut its tender tongue before the jaws fully closed, and it opened its mouth. Pohatu ran in, too fast to be seen, and switched to his mask of strength. He kicked it repeatedly until the stalks on its body holding its masks broke off. It ran away, but its weight crushed the stone wall. It fell into the pit with the drowned Rahi. Onua collected his masks from the dead Rahi. They finally had their full mask sets.Onua approached Turaga Matau. “Thank you, Turaga. We would have been Rahi-bones if you didn't step in.”Matau chuckled. “Even a Toa needs some help now and then, eh? Now go. Your masks will be delivered by Kewa riders to your Suvas.”Pohatu bowed. “Yes, Turaga. Now let's go to the mark, Onua.”Lewa and Gali reached Po-Koro. Gali was deep in thought as she walked with Lewa. We're finding these too easily. Maybe Makuta is only hoping we won't make it, but overall planning to make us reach there in time...to be killed! Ha! We are the Toa! Gali and Lewa were both confident, but on guard. They eventually saw a cave in all the endless desert. Neither of them had a mask of speed, so they would have to walk there. Lewa said, “I wish we didn't have to walk all this way! But we might as well save our energy for the real challenge. Assuming we find our masks there. But we will find them! I swore that to the Matoran!Gali's expression didn't change. “You are right, save your energy. And work together. True unity, not random spots of help.”Lewa laughed a bit. “I know. And I have a plan that will require true unity. The whole time.”Gali laughed too, but even less. “Let's hope you can do it then.”They came to the cave. There was a strange Rahi there. Lewa stared and his mouth hung open. “Mata Nui...”Gali readied her hooks. She would need them to restrain the Rahi's fists from behind. Already she had some plans. “There are our masks of speed! Collect those, and we only need your mask of strength!”Lewa said, “But this beast stands between us and the masks we need! Let's—remove it!”A tornado swept away the Tarakava Nui, a Tarakava with two treads, arms that traded a fourth of the speed to get twice the sheer power. It also was twice as big.“Now to get our masks of speed—quickly!” Lewa said. He ran for the masks and blew them to himself, but the Tarakava Nui was too fast. It ran up behind him and punched him into the cave. He dropped them in front of the giant animal. Gali jumped on its back and used her mask of strength and her hooks to restrain its fists. It whirled around when Lewa threw his axe at it. “OW! LEWA!” She was hit with the axe, and the Tarakava Nui backed up into the cave wall, but she made water under its treads. She made it slip and lose control, then levitated above the cave, using her momentum to get on top. It slammed into the cave wall and whirled around. Lewa prepared to attack, but now Gali had gotten to know his fighting style. He would attack, and the Tarakava Nui was pounding the wall.“Lewa! Wait! Don't attack yet, stay in the cave!”“It might cave in! Better to quick-hit it!” He started to run out, but Gali heard him and put a wave of water at the cave entrance. He jumped back for a second, and the Rahi broke in. He blew it back with a small cyclone and understood Gali. When it charged back at him, Gali restrained it again like she had earlier. A Nui-Kopen came from behind, with two infected masks. “No, Gali! Flip and combine our powers for a storm!”“Just hit it to death with your axe! I can't hold on much longer!”“But there's a--” The stinger knocked Gali off, but Lewa blew her upward, and she levitated. He blew the Nui-Kopen around with chaotic ##### of wind.“The problem with wings is they don't work well...in a big wind! Gali, pull on its wings with your hooks!”She pulled them with all her strength, boosted by the mask, to force them backwards, but the Nui-Kopen knocked her off with it's stinger.“Gali, speed is needed as well as strategy! You told me to work together! Grab the Nui-Kopen with your hook and grab the Tarakava Nui by the neck!”It nearly punched Lewa, so she took its arm instead and stopped it. The movement of the Nui-Kopen, thanks to Gali, brought the Tarakava Nui down. As it fell, Lewa used the second of distraction to cut a gash it its side with his axe. Gali hit the Nui-Kopen with water and disabled its wings. “We made that plan together, brother.”“Yes. I learned strategy from you, and from me you quicklearned...Literally!”“It seems I have mastered speed to some degree. And the reward is speed in mask form!”Lewa had already picked up his mask. “Yes, and I was quick to get it!” They both laughed. Gali picked up her mask as well, and they ran with the masks to their Suvas. Nokama walked up to Gali.“Bring this to Lewa,” she said, handing Gali Lewa's mask of Strength. “And take heart, your masks are completed. I wish I could give you the Golden Mask now, but Vakama has said you will only be ready when you all have your masks.”Gali smiled. She had always liked Nokama, she was the most comforting of the Turaga. “Yes. We will meet at a place when our masks are collected. Where did you get this?”“Some Po-Matoran were fighting over it, but Turaga Onewa knew what it was, and broke up the fight. He had it brought to me by Ussal, while Le-Koro was assailed by the Nui-Rama.”“Thank him for me. And for Lewa. And thank you, Turaga.”Gali ran and told Lewa what had happened, and gave him his last mask. With their masks of speed, they returned to the glass mark and joined Onua and Pohatu.For once Tahu was in silence as great as Kopaka's. They had to walk to Ta-Koro, because only Tahu had a mask of speed. That put them in an even worse mood than they got in while working together.Tahu smirked. “Can you take the heat, Kopaka?”“You're lucky none of your masks were in Ko-Koro. Now could you be as silent as you were earlier, or do you have so much hot air in you that you'll explode if you don't spit it out?”“Just follow my lead. You won't last half as long as I would if the volcano erupted.”Kopaka froze a path for himself. “Wrong, Tahu. The volcano wouldn't last.”“Ha. I could melt Ko-Koro if I wanted to.”They came up to a point on the Mangai Volcano. There were no masks in sight.Tahu growled. “Not even a glint of white! Your masks have got to be in here! Somewhere...”Kopaka said nothing. As a Kuma-Nui came up behind Tahu, he did nothing. It moved to strike, and was frozen halfway through.Tahu jumped. “Huh? What?”“With your tactics, you would have been overpowered. Swift and silent strikes are the key to victory.”Another Kuma-Nui charged behind Kopaka so fast that he didn't notice. Tahu jumped in front and activated his mask of shielding. It bounced back, and Tahu summoned flares from the lava to burn it. Kopaka looked with his mask, and saw that each had one of his masks, and one infected mask.“My masks!”The ice broke, and the first Kuma-Nui bit Kopaka and picked him up by the leg. Tahu heated his blade and stabbed its stomach. It released Kopaka, who flipped, stalled the second Kuma-Nui with ice and shield bashed it in the head. Tahu sent an explosion at it, nearly breaking its back. He was bitten from behind by the first one, but used his mask of strength to break free. He rolled on the ground to join Kopaka.“Tahu, let me handle this one alone!”“It's too much for one Toa to handle!”At the same time, they shot it with fire and ice, cancelling each other out. Tahu found himself held by the first one in its mouth, being squeezed to death. Kopaka nearly fell in the lava, but levitated. “Kopaka! Go down there!” Tahu redirected some heat from the lava, cooling it into rock for Kopaka to stand on, and burning the Kuma-Nui holding him until it let go. He dropped to the ground with a slash to its head and it backed up.“Kopaka, wait and time it! Keep your ground cool!”Kopaka realized that Tahu's plan was good, and he would get out of the volcano in the best way possible. Tahu shot the second Kuma-Nui with a fireblast, but it took the hit and advanced through.Tahu yelled, “Kopaka! Now!”“Yes! Time for my move!”Kopaka jumped and flipped, froze the wall of the volcano, and shattered it with a sword strike while levitating. He grabbed the ground on the other side of the wall and pulled himself out. Just when the Kuma-Nui bit Tahu's sword and took it, Kopaka shot it with as much ice as he could at once. Tahu heated his sword very slightly and slid it out.“Time for my plan, Tahu!” He whispered to Tahu as the first Kuma-Nui recovered behind Tahu.Tahu kept his back turned from it, according to Kopaka's plan. He switched to his mask of speed. It charged from behind him. In the last second, Kopaka yelled, “NOW!” Tahu dodged to the right and it bit the frozen Kuma-Nui, crushing the frozen one's head. The charged one was enraged and disarmed Kopaka. It bit him by the head and swung him around, while trying to crush him. Tahu jumped onto its back, heated his sword, and stabbed it. It bit harder.“You will not kill my brother!”He pushed his weight onto the sword and pushed himself up. It went deeper into the beast's back and he burned its insides. With his legs free, he kicked off the infected mask and Kopaka's mask. It immediately released Kopaka and sped away.Kopaka looked up at Tahu. “That...could have killed me. I would never make it without you, Tahu.”“I wouldn't have done so well alone either.”“I...do appreciate unity. Maybe...help is something we all need, Toa of Hot...fire.” Kopaka managed a bit of a smile. Tahu took the mask from the dead, partially frozen Kuma-Nui. “Here are your masks of strength and speed, Kopaka. Now, we can get to that mark, tell the other Toa, and claim the Golden Masks and Noble Masks!”Kopaka put on his mask of speed, and placed the other masks on his Suva. Tahu went straight to the mark and met the other Toa. Kopaka returned and they all switched back to their main masks.Tahu started. “Have you all collected your masks?” The other Toa all said yes in their own ways. “Then get to the Turaga and tell them! There's no time to waste!” They all switched to their masks of speed and ran to their Koros.Tahu reached Ta-Koro and switched back to his mask of shielding. When he walked into Turaga Vakama's hut, he said, “We are ready. Give me the Golden Mask and my Noble Masks. We have to get there in time!”A guard watching from above the wall sounded the alarm. Rahi were coming.Turaga Vakama sounded nearly panicked. “Yes. We Turaga have a plan. To keep the Rahi from sealing you in, Takua the Chronicler has gathered six Matoran to guard the entrance to Makuta's lair, after you enter. The villages will prepare their final defense. To keep the Chronicler from harm, Gali has formed a mental link with him. But when you face Makuta himself, that link will be broken, and the Chronicler will meet Turaga Whenua. Whenua will send him to watch and record your final battle with Makuta, as it is his duty to record all major history. The Suva will fuse the six masks together into a golden mask in the shape of your first masks. I will place the Noble Masks on the Suva, and you can summon them. There is a door with strange writing, for how to fight more powerfully, and form the triple power golden masks. Particularly the Noble mask of translation will be needed. Descend the tunnel entrance of the Suva Kaita, and translate the writing. The key to defeating Makuta's guardians will be revealed, the Matoran will defend, and you will go down and defeat Makuta.”Tahu nodded to show that he understood. He put his mask of shielding on the Suva, and formed his golden mask. Turaga Vakama placed the Noble Masks on the Suva, and Tahu ran with super speed to the Suva Kaita. The other Toa arrived with their golden masks and access to the Noble Masks.Tahu started to talk. “Well, this is it. Our final journey before peace.”Kopaka said only one thing. “We may have disliked each other before, Tahu, but no more. I will cast my sword with yours, if you will have it.”“I would have it gladly, Kopaka.”Gali was happy. “I see we have our unity. We have done well.”Pohatu answered, “Yes, we do indeed! Now we will put it to the test! With the masks gathered, and our elements, Makuta will quake at the sight of us!”Onua laughed. “I'll give him a good quake.”Lewa seemed afraid. “I have seen his power when I wore the infected mask! Don't underestimate him! But if we have quickspeed and sharp reflexes, it will aid us greatly!”Tahu closed the meeting. “Good, then. We are ready. Where is the Chronicler? He is supposed to defend the exit for us!”A voice came from behind. “Right here! The Chronicler's Company is ready!”Tahu gave Takua the thumbs up. “Good. Now, we will enter and face Makuta!” They opened the Suva Kaita and went into the tunnel. Takua closed it. Tahu thought he heard Rahi coming. With X-Ray vision, they saw the Matoran fight the Rahi, and continued on down the path to Makuta.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Chapter 5: The Path to MakutaThe Toa came to the door. They all translated and read the writing.Tahu was shocked. “We do WHAT?”Pohatu put a hand on his shoulder. “Calm down, brother. It will give us more power. “But THIS is how we form the triple golden masks!?”Gali came between them. “We have learned unity. This is not so far of a stretch.”Lewa found it incredibly strange. “To do this...what if we disagree?”Kopaka, strangely, made an argument for the idea. “We will overcome it. It will be as simple as deciding when you have more than one choice. Our strategies will flawlessly work.”Onua calmly said, “It's the only way we'll have enough power to break this door anyway. Do it.”Tahu nodded slowly. “No more doubt. No more fear. Toa, UNITE!”The next thing that happened was extremely shocking. Tahu, Onua, and Pohatu combined into Akamai, a Toa Kaita with no access to the Noble Masks, three times the power, and their elemental powers. He had a mask in the shape of a mask of shielding, two heads next to each other as a dual club, Onua's claws as armor on the chest, joined with one of Onua's feet. His limbs were dual limbs, attached at certain points. He had three torsos joined into one, and Pohatu's kick tools between the dual feet. Each foot was formed with two feet, one from Tahu, the other from Pohatu.Lewa, Gali, and Kopaka formed Wairuha. His mask was in the shape of a mask of levitation, his weapon was Lewa's axe and Kopaka's sword combined side by side, and held in one hand. Gali's hooks, joined with a small armor piece, made chest armor. He had the same body as Akamai, but without the kick tools and he had his own colors. In his left hand he had Kopaka's shield.Akamai's voice was the voice of Tahu, Onua, and Pohatu combined. It sounded like they all talked at once. “So, Wairuha. You are joined.”Wairuha responded with the joined voices of Gali, Lewa, and Kopaka. “Yes, Akamai. Now to break the door!” Wairuha froze the door, then hit it with rain, hail, and wind. He finished with a slash that broke it. “Look, Akamai! There is a wall here! And only half the door broke! These are two doors!”Akamai nodded. “Yes. But take courage. In the end, both ways will have to lead to Makuta. I will take one path, and you will take the other. Meet me on the other side.” Akamai combined fire and stone, and found he had complete control over lava. He melted the door as much as he could, and then shook the rest apart with an earthquake. “Now go!”Akamai and Wairuha took their paths, and Akamai could only see his path. He wondered why there were separate paths, seeing as there was nothing on the path. Akamai and Wairuha met in a room.“Wairuha, why did we have separate paths? There was nothing on each!”“Maybe it is not so simple. Maybe this was one last pathetic attempt to stop our unity!”“Ha! We will not be broken, at least not by force!”But they could very well be broken by force. Into more than six pieces. The guardians of Makuta, the strongest Rahi on Mata Nui, approached them.Akamai stared. “What are these, guardians? Whatever their power, we will defeat them!”Wairuha was cautious, while Akamai was brave. Together they were nearly invincible. “Yes, but don't underestimate them.”The Manas crabs had faster treads than any Rahi. They could punch harder and faster than a Tarakava Nui combined with a Tarakava. They could see better than even the watchful Nui-Rama and Nui-Kopen. Their eyes glowed with constant rage. They had box-like bodies, with treads on the sides and they had their arms and eyes on the top. The spider pincers on their mouths snapped, making noise and attempting to strike fear into the Toa Kaita.Akamai said, “We were once six, and now we are stronger for being two! This fight will be more than fair!”He ran at a Manas, and spewed lava out of his sword. The crab charged straight through, suffering minor injuries. He boosted his strength and speed at the same time, matching each punch with a kick. He levitated, bound it to the ground with thick soil, and landed with his club on it. When it whirled around, it met Akamai's lava-enhanced sword, straight to its eye. But Akamai was knocked over from behind by a Manas. Immediately it was frozen by Wairuha, and Akamai smashed its head with mask boosted strength and speed, using his club. A third Manas came, and another behind Wairuha. Akamai returned Wairuha's favor by shooting lava at it. Wairuha turned around and slashed it, causing it to retreat a bit.“Wairuha, lava tornado! Now!”“First let's freeze them in place!” Wairuha swept up the five Manas with a wave of water, then froze them. The lava tornado picked them up and melted the ice, scorching them as well. Akamai made some earth above them fall on the Manas, slamming them to the ground and making more lava. Wairuha stopped the tornado immediately. One Manas came out, and they ran to it with super speed. Each of them stabbed one shoulder with their weapons, and ripped it apart. Suddenly, the four Manas punched the wall and lava flowed in. They levitated above it, but the lava rose to the top. They activated their shields, and stopped levitating. Akamai had an idea. “Combine levitation with speed and fly up through the roof using the momentum!”They crashed up through the roof and entered another level.“My plan worked. It seems that Makuta wants us dead fast.”“Or maybe, Akamai, he knows that will only tire us, and wants us weakened for him.”“Maybe.” Akamai shifted the earth and they found two final guardians. The Mana Ko had two treads, stood upright, had even more powerful fists, and could shoot energy. They did just that, knocking down Akamai and knocking out Wairuha's shield. One zipped through and punched Wairuha down. They both shot the Toa Kaita, who blocked just barely with their mask shields. Akamai stabbed the ground and made the earthen walls fly and hit the Manas. They shattered the rocks and soil with punches without being his once, but were hit by the lava from the other room. He focused all the lava on them, weakening them. Wairuha froze them quickly, changing the temperature to hurt them. He boosted his strength and hit them both with his blade. Akamai jumped at one and hit it with his club, boosting strength and speed. It returned with an energy blast, which he answered with a mask shield. Wairuha picked them up with a tornado, and Akamai added lava. They were sent to the other side of the room. Akamai bound them in earth, and Wairuha washed out all the parts that were bashed up enough to come out. Akamai and Wairuha imprisoned them with ice, earth, and stone. They advanced to the last chamber: Makuta's personal chamber.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Chapter 6: The Final BattleAkamai and Wairuha charged to Makuta's final chamber. But as they reached the door, they felt a chill wind that even Wairuha did not enjoy a bit. Wairuha stopped in his tracks. Even Akamai stopped, but he was the bravest. Wairuha looked at Akamai. He said, “Akamai...I feel...strange.”“Yes...so do I. It feels like...BEING RIPPED APART!”Akamai and Wairuha exploded into the parts of the six Toa. Those six reformed on the spot.Tahu, at first shocked at the merging, was even more shocked at this. “NO! Fused, we barely stood up to the Mana Ko! Now...now, we will be even worse off, while fighting an enemy ten times greater!”Gali said, “Calm yourself, Tahu! The Toa Kaita only gave physical form to the force of our unity! Apart, we still have it!”Pohatu was very near to panic. “But the sheer power, wisdom, and valor of Akamai and Wairuha were unmatched!”Tahu calmed himself. “When wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all. But how were we split?”This time, Lewa, having felt Makuta's power before, answered. “He has many powers, some physical, some mental. He must have hit us with fear, anger, and confusion. That stirs doubt, the opposite of the faith you spoke of, Tahu.”Onua tried to get them to take heart. “We can test the Noble Masks on him.”Kopaka walked to the door, touched it, shuddered, and backed away. “Yes. Onua is right...I think. Let's go...together. The Makuta is colder than Mount Ihu, but together we will win!”Tahu led them on again. “Glad to see you have learned unity, brother. Get ready.” The Toa backed up and drew their weapons again. “CHARGE!” They all stabbed the door. Pohatu kicked it and made it rip itself apart. The boulders flew in, and Tahu burned them.He said, “Lava! We don't need the Toa Kaita, we need each other!”Pohatu fist bumped with him. “Come out, Makuta!”All the lava had hit were a few tentacles and blades. The burned pieces moved aside.Lewa shook with fear. “Did anyone use the mask of telekinesis?”No one answered. No one had done it. Suddenly, the mass of parts flew up to the top of the room, and a black-armored Matoran with an infected mask descended slowly, attached to all the swirling parts by a single tentacle. His voice was deep and grating. “Toa. Your journey must end. You have faced many things, and disrupted my plans for the Matoran. You have opposed me a long, long time.”Tahu approached him. “You are Makuta? But--”Kopaka pulled him back. “It's a trap, Tahu!”Tahu spoke to Makuta from where he was. “We didn't come here to lose. We came to end the troubles of the Matoran. Whatever it takes, we will destroy you!”Makuta laughed. It was a horrible sound that sent more chill winds that even Kopaka feared. “Destroy me? You cannot destroy me, any more than you can destroy the wind...or the sea...or...The Void.”Gali spoke in rage. “You are like the WATER, THE SEA? THE SEA BEARS LIFE!”Makuta laughed again. “I bore you. For I am Nothing.”Lewa reassured his friends. “You...I saw glimpses of your mind! You bore nothing but death and destruction!”Makuta smiled. “Ha. You will see. The people of this world are builders. But look into their hearts, and you will find that they also have the power to destroy. I am that power. I am destruction.” Makuta narrowed his eyes. “And I WILL destroy you.”But Tahu still doubted Makuta's power. “You? You are but a Matoran, those who we have sworn to protect!”Pohatu tapped Tahu's shoulder, then turned to Makuta. He said, “But he will destroy you anyway! There was a traitorous Matoran, who accidentally led me to a Nui-Jaga nest with the evidence Takua found! We wrecked it together, and that Matoran fled the village!”Onua had had enough, so he made the earth fall from the roof. Makuta shot it with bolts from his finger, and turned them to dust. He made a cyclone that blew it away. But Tahu had other ideas. “Lewa, hijack that cyclone! Pohatu, lava time!” Together they shot Makuta with a lava tornado, but he sucked the air out. Tahu's fire vanished and the air stopped, but Pohatu ran to kick the rocks. As soon as he started, the airless area pulled items from all around at him. He kicked them wildly, using the mask of strength, the mask of speed, and the mask of levitation to keep above the airless zone. Tahu used the mask of telekinesis to hurl the items at Makuta, but Makuta caused them to shatter and fly at the Toa in smaller, sharper pieces. They blocked with shields. Tahu said, “How are you doing this?! You are but a Matoran!”Makuta glared at him. “Hahahahahahah! Were you expecting something else? Something like THIS?!”Makuta split into parts, and joined the swirling vortex of metal and tentacles that was his whole body. The Toa switched back to their golden masks. He laughed again. “Now...the final battle...begins.”Tahu shot fire at Makuta. Makuta turned blue for a moment, resisted it easily, and shot a bolt of shadow at him. He blocked with a shield, but the ground under him exploded without fire and he was sent to a tentacle. He heated his blade, levitated, boosted strength and speed, and cut wildly. Onua and Pohatu hit him with chunks of his own lair. His parts flew around, got hit, and attacked. They used the mask of invisibility to make his attacks meaningless. At the same time, his cyclones with hot plasma were fighting Lewa and Kopaka's hailstorm cyclones. Tahu shifted the heat onto Makuta, and he roared. Tahu was blasted from behind with a lightning bolt from a tentacle. Lewa levitated, blew himself over, and caught Tahu. They made a fire tornado, but Makuta teleported Kopaka in front. Kopaka stopped Makuta's tentacle with his hand shield, and used his mask to block the fire tornado. Gali swam around in a wave, breathing water, and swept up pieces. She fought Makuta in her own personal wave of water, hurling and tearing things with her hooks. Suddenly, Onua and Pohatu returned to view. In fact, 16 of them returned, using the mask of illusion. Makuta was hit with claws, kicks, and flying rubble. Tahu managed to levitate up to a few pieces of rubble and make lava. He guided the lava with his sword and slashed pieces in half. Makuta hit the Onua and Pohatu that actually hurt him, so they started only hitting him from long range.Onua called out. “Tahu! Make lava again with us!” He did that, but Makuta sent a cyclone to stop it with Kopaka's blizzard. Makuta blasted Kopaka with shadow, but he blocked with his mask and froze more pieces. “Gali, I can make a lot of ice, give me water! Gali left her wave and gave it to Kopaka, but as Kopaka froze it and some of Makuta's pieces, Gali was and Kopaka were knocked down with chain lightning. Makuta tossed them into the ice as it froze, then teleported his parts out. Tahu melted some ice, but he wasn't fast enough. Makuta's sonic wave shattered the ice and nearly killed Kopaka and Gali. Makuta suddenly drained all the light from the room, and sent waves of rippling chain lightning on them. Somehow the lightning didn't make any light. Tahu shot with fire, but even that made no light. Makuta dodged all of it. They activated their masks of night vision. Lewa tried to make a cyclone, but Makuta drained his power. But Lewa had another trick.“Control my mind with a mask, will you? This dark-time must end!” Lewa activated his mask of mind control. He slowed Makuta for moments. Kopaka froze parts and Pohatu shattered them with stones. Earthquakes sent the ground flying at Makuta. Makuta fired chain lightning at them, but Gali shot water and made him get hit with his own lightning. Tahu burned and cut pieces, and Makuta was slowed by Lewa. He growled and hit Lewa with a massive shadow blast. Lewa was thrown to a wall, but Pohatu sped up behind him and caught him. “Lewa...Pohatu...the end is now.” Makuta charged up a massive shadow blast and spread out his parts. But the irony was, Makuta spreading apart gave Tahu the idea to put him together.Tahu switched to his Mask of Telekinesis. “I have a plan! We've been helping each other, switching helpers, running around. That hasn't worked! Now combine ALL our powers, and shoot with all your power!” Tahu moved the other Toa together with him, and pushed Makuta's parts together.`Makuta blasted them, and they all activated their shields while combining their powers. The six elements made a storm filled with ice and lava, canceling each other out. Tahu yelled to Kopaka, “Kopaka! COMBINE our powers, not shoot them together!”Makuta was overpowering them, but when Tahu said that, all the Toa picked up the right way to do it. The elements fused together and glowed. Makuta was being beaten back. The Toa had less strain, because of their shields, but their shields broke. “You cannot win now, Toa. The shields are broken! Now face the power of shadow! Now, Toa, you can fear your own shadows, and not be mocked. Now you will see how deadly they can be.”Tahu stared at Makuta, then looked at his teammates. He pushed harder. “Ha! We will NOT fear you! Toa, push ALL THE ENERGY YOU HAVE! FOR THE GREAT SPIRIT, AND THE MATORAN!”The Toa gained no power from the speech, but followed his advice. They shot all of their power, and a colossal explosion shot all around the room. The six Toa all kept their elements combined, and sent all the stray power to Makuta. The back of the chamber exploded and all of Makuta's parts flew in and crashed to the ground. His mask moved, and looked at them. “Toa...you cannot destroy me...for I am nothing.” Makuta's parts teleported away. “I will...return...Toa. And you will...accept...your...doom.”Takua walked in. “That...that was amazing!”Gali put a hand on his shoulder. “Calm yourself, Takua. Our link has returned. Thank you for finding the lair and recording one of the greatest moments of history.”Tahu was stern. “But he will return.”Pohatu was nearly emotionless, unable to decide the mood of the occasion. “Then we will defeat him again, “ he eventually said, “and that will be the true greatest moment of history.”Onua laughed. “Maybe not the greatest. But great.”Lewa joined in. “Well said, friend-brother. Now let's return to high-ground.”Kopaka fist bumped with Tahu. “Well done, brother.”Tahu smiled. “Well done, all of you. Now let's return to the surface. A great celebration awaits us there.” Takua laughed. “It will be a big one, all right! The Turaga haven't celebrated for 900 years!”All the Toa laughed. They left the dark chambers of Makuta's lair. Everything was good.

Pk57sNJ.jpg