Alpha version 13.0
Advanced multiplayer platform fighting game
Download link at the bottom of this post.
Click the thumbnails to see the full screenshots.
The archived topic can be found here.
For work-in-progress previews, check my Dropbox gallery and my BZP blog.
Latest game version update: June 15th, 2013
Download found below.
- Made it possible to change the Rahkshi spine style in the menu. This setting is now saved in character files as well.
- Added new and improved primary Chain Lightning version to Rahkshi and Rahkshi staff.
- Added new secondary power to Rahkshi of Chain Lightning: Burst Bolt. Instantly hits a number of targets around the inital victim.
- Added HUD "hurt" border when the player takes damage.
- Added new Ball Lightning secondary attack for Toa of Lightning, replacing the Chain Lightning copy.
- Added new enemy group, found at Kini-Nui.
- Added new enemy fight, found in Mangaia.
- Added main menu credits roll.
Bug fixes and engine tweaks:
- Fixed Nui-Rama not losing their target when the target turns invisible.
- Healing orbs now add a third of their heal value in EP as well.
- Added sound effects to the Kanohi Kakama.
- Added unique sound effects to armor and Kanohi pickups.
- Made Rahkshi bots prefer to pick up and use their own staff type as their weapon.
- Prevented unimplemented, invisible armor types from spawning anymore.
- Toa bots now only activate their mask power if they have a certain supply of energy left.
- Attempted new fixes at bots getting stuck in walls and ceilings.
- Toa bots will absorb energy if they are below maximum and has no current target to fight.
- Bots will now use projectile weapons outside melee range, though they still prefer their powers over weapons.
- Fixed Rahkshi of Poison wasting their power at long range.
- Ported Toa Mata boss fight to the new boss control type; with healthbars, screen edge protection and gear swap prevention.
- Allowed Toa Mata to switch to Kanohi Miru if they fall off the platform, so long as they are not stunned and are wearing a mask.
Game trailer (old, from game version 9.0)
From its start in late 2000 and to its almost-end in 2010, BIONICLE was one of my favorite series. I had, and still have, a great affection for the bio-mechanical beings that inhabit its universe. For several years, I've wanted to create a large-scale game based on BIONICLE. I've tried and failed twice in the past due to lack of sufficient programming skill. But now I'm back and ready, and I've gotten quite far already.
I therefore proudly present to you: my work-in-progress.
Note that I am making this game for you, fellow fans. Your feedback is very valuable to me. So please, if you enjoy this game: take a moment to post a reply. It will be greatly appreciated!
First out: the Toa, chosen heroes of the universe! Each Toa wields an elemental power, which allows them to control, create and absorb that element. Toa also wear Kanohi masks or helmets imbued with an additional power. Losing the mask, however, weakens the Toa. In this game, you will be able to select both your element and mask power, as well as picking a weapon from a wide selection. Some weapons have special powers of their own.
The other playable race is one of the fiercest enemy types the Toa have encountered: the Rahkshi! They might be primarily empty shells of armor controlled by a leech-like creature, but Rahkshi have special powers of their own, most of them based on destruction or deception. Rahkshi can not absorb power from the environment like Toa can, nor can they use mask powers, but they make up for it with their powerful attacks and ability to fly at will. If a Rahkshi chooses to carry a staff imbued with their own power, they can increase their strength through that as well. Toa and Rahkshi with different powers can pick up a dropped Rahkshi Staff in order to use its power.
In addition to choosing between the two species and their many powers, you can also adjust the values of five different stats: Strength, vitality, dexterity, element and mind.
- Strength modifies the power of physical attacks and melee strikes.
- Vitality increases health and other related attributes.
- Dexterity determines run speed and jump height.
- Element modifies the power of special attacks.
- Mind relates to the amount of energy available as well as its recharge rate. Mask powers also benefit from the mind stat.
The engine is still being worked on. Most of the basics are in: Movement, terrain, the ability to customize. Weapons, items and powers are being worked on. All the powers have been indexed and given default colors, but not all have actual effects in gameplay.
- Play as either Toa or Rahkshi.
- Customize your character's powers, equipment, stats and color.
- Toa elements: Fire, air, earth, stone, ice, light, shadow, plasma, magnetism, sonics, lightning, iron, psionics.
- Rahkshi powers: Fear, disintegration, poison, fragmentation, hunger, chain lightning, teleportation, quick healing, plasma, magnetism, chameleon, laser vision, gravity.
- Mask powers: Shielding, levitation, speed, strength, invisibility, corrosion, regeneration, hunger, teleportation, truth.
- Weapon powers: Burn, freeze, stun, disarm, chainsaw, laser shot, light beam, armor piercing, Rahkshi powers, stat modifiers.
- Four main maps and two test maps. Proper maps: Karda Nui, with its giant stone pillars, straw hut village, Codrex, swarms of Nui-Rama and a boss; Mangaia, mostly a dark, flat cave at this point; Kini-Nui, the Great Temple; and Ta-Koro: Village of Fire, with a large central platform and lethal lava on both sides. A stone fortress will eventually be placed in this map.
- Various status effects (freeze, burn, poison, healing, gravity changes, temporary stat reductions, blind)
- Color customization, power and weapon selection, stat modification.
- Saving and loading of character files.
- Settings menu with customizable controls and music/sound toggle.
- Screenshot function (hit F9 to capture a screenshot and save it to the game folder)
- Battle AI enemies while you wait for the game's true purpose: Online multiplayer.
Attacking an Exo-Toa with Lightning
Dissolving an enemy with Poison
Kopaka Nuva in action
Rock to the face
Modifying the character file for fun and profit
A Rahkshi of Gravity creating a black hole
Spikes attack from a Toa of Stone
Character creation menu
Rahkshi firing off Chain Lightning
A Toa of Fire accidentally hitting himself with a fireball
Onua, Toa of Earth, joins the fight
Draining the energy of enemies with a Rahkshi of Hunger
Turning an opponent to ash with a Fire Staff
Unleashing the power of Shadow
Preparing to teleport away from danger
Download (53.42 MB ZIP)
IMPORTANT: After downloading, you must extract the files from the archive, otherwise the game will not work properly! Extracting is as simple as right-clicking the ZIP folder and selecting "Unzip", "Extract", or whatever your computer calls it. After you get the uncompressed files, you can safely delete the ZIP itself. To start the game, simply run the EXE file (the one with the proper game icon). Note that this game is made to run on Windows systems only (Vista and later); I can not guarantee that it will work with WINE or similar.
ALSO IMPORTANT: Do not change the folder structure, or some files will not load! The game itself must be in the same folder as any DLLs and INIs, and the music must be in a sub-folder. Moving stuff around will break the program. If you want a shortcut to the game, right-click the main EXE file and choose "select shortcut". Do not move the game file itself.
FAQ (Not entirely up to date at the moment)
If you wish to support this game, feel free to copy and paste the code beneath one of the banners into your signature. Thanks!
Banner links found here. NOTE: Not entirely working ATM. Manual adjustment needed.
Main programmer and designer - Oskar A. Garshol (aka "Katuko" and "Noxious")
Additional ideas - Various BZP members (thanks for your support!)
Main spriter - "InnerRayg" (BZPower)
Additional sprites - Various BZP members
Interface graphics - Oskar A. G.
Music and sound effects - Various artists, sounddogs.com
Game Maker 8 - Mark Overmars and the YoYo Games team
Exact list is being worked on in-game, and will change as the game gets updated.
Edited by Katuko, Jun 15 2013 - 07:55 AM.