Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

You know, I think it might be a good idea to have the Matatu use the mouse to control it. Or the arrow keys, I suppose, but I'd like the mouse to be an optionalcontrol for this power.

No mouse during gameplay, please. Switching between keyboard and mouse is such a pain.
only with the current settings. if you were able to use the mouse to fire on either the left or right side of your character (depending on which side of the screen the mouse is on) and use wasd to move, f to pick up weapons, e to activate weapon powers, q for mask powers (use mouse for ones that you aim), shift for eminate (I think that would work) and left and right mouse for powers(aiming when necesary)that could work for mouse aiming

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Aiming is supposed to require some finesse and concentration, and you may have noticed that the teleportation targeting reticule moves slower or faster depending on your Mind stat. Having mouse aim would either be advantageous (instant aim, aim in any direction), or just clunky (not instant, forced to aim just left or right).I briefly considered making this a platform shooter when I first started out, but discarded the idea in favor of a control scheme more similar to Super Nintendo and traditional platform action games.

Katuko, please make a status report somI can see progress.(again)

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Kadin must be hard to control. I think greater speed at the cost of dexterity. You go fast, but it's hard to change direction. Or something like that. Or perhaps it's really hard to land. Or all of these. "TIME TO REREAD THE LEGENDS BOOKS!!!"

I think greater speed at the cost of agility and / or more elemental power drainage would be a suitable downside to the Kadin.

Kadin must be hard to control. I think greater speed at the cost of dexterity. You go fast, but it's hard to change direction. Or something like that. Or perhaps it's really hard to land. Or all of these. "TIME TO REREAD THE LEGENDS BOOKS!!!"

I think greater speed at the cost of agility and / or more elemental power drainage would be a suitable downside to the Kadin.
and also because kadin is flight, not levitation, you must always be moving.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

As Greg described it once: the Miru is a helicopter with next to no self-propulsion, the Kadin is a jet plane. One hovers, the others speeds forwards. So in order to make the Kadin, I would cross the Miru with the Kakama and make the player unable to stop without landing.Not much of a status update to make, but a new release is nearing. :)

by the way, the game always says: "unexpected error occured when running the game" when I open it, probably due to it saving as : ''BIONIC~1''

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

d1O9dXQ.png

It does what now? D: Have you double-checked that everything was unpacked correctly? You can't run the game directly from inside the ZIP, you will need to right-click the folder and select "unpack", "decompress", "extract" or similar. Then you should be left with a non-ZIP folder, and the contents should look like this:http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Katuko/Screenshots/biofight_unzip.jpgThe 9.4 version is rapidly being completed, by the way. No new maps and sprites are still ambidextrous (I'm sorry), but at least there are more powerrrrrrsssss. :lol:toa_shadow_lightning.jpg

Edited by Katuko

Holy ####! That shadow looks awesome!Ambitiousness... hmm... a pity. I suppose it's a small matter. I'd rather have new elemental powers than graphical improvements. But that might just be me.BTW, how much health does the Life blade heal? Being a big Guthan fan, it sounds like the Lifeblade is going to be my favorite weapon.

Forget 9.5, add multiplayer and skip to 12. :PAnyway, it's rather late for me as well. I'll let you know my thoughts on 9.4 tomorrow.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Ok, so I finally got around to playing the new version, my first thoughts are:

• [*]Love the new character creation screen, and the armor sprites look boss.[*]New optioins color of weapons and armor picked up are quite clever.[*]The <unavalible> after the masks help a lot.[*]I did notice, however, that shields don't show up in the character creation, just armor and weapons. (Although, I think I remember you explaining this somewhere...)

After playing the game:

• [*]Garai is awesome. Toa of air + Garai is even better.[*]The Shadow Lightning attack is very well done, and looks really cool in some of the darker maps.[*]The new red-hued Shadow attacks are a nice touch, reminds me of the movies/comics.[*]Shadow lightning seems a bit too powerful against bots, but the delay in firing might balence it out against real players.[*]The bot seem to hate to fly now with the new "jump" script/code/whatever. This isn't that big of a problem, but I miss the airborn battles.[*]Poison blade is a nice addition. (Poisoning bots and then lighting them on fire)
http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png[*]Rahkshi of Gravity secondary "Black Hole" is now a bit less over powered, but still up there. Now I can use it more of a trap then noobishly spaming health drains. :P

Hmm, I think that's it... I might have missed a few things...EDIT:Oh yeah, gravity is still a stream. :(The Cordak blaster is awesome.Rockets do 150 damage? That's just... :P

Edited by Acrophobia

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

- Shields don't show up because they don't drop yet, so I saw no reason to finalize the graphics there either. :P- If you meet a Toa of Shadow as a bot, you'll notice that while the new attack can be terrifying, it is kinda easy to dodge as long as you see it charge up.- I apparently made a mistake somewhere in the new AI script, so yes, bots jump a lot less than before. Since they also appear to float higher than before once they start, I think I might have gotten something in reverse somewhere. I'll try to fix it.- I was halfway through making all gravity attacks burst-fire, but I realized I was missing some graphics. Next version, plus sonics. :)- Cordak rockets do 50 damage, but a quirk in the current menu system causes the display to show something else depending on your strength stat. I realize this is a bit misleading, and I will try to rewrite that display.

The new demo is great. I have a few critiques, though:-Shadow's Lightning attack is still listed as "UNAVAILABLE".-I think the AI could stand to jump a little more.-On the subject of AI, can you make those with flying powers use said powers when they fall off ledges?-I've been playing the game with adjusted controls, but after I close the game, the controls are reset. I opened the settings document, but all of the keys are listed as numbers. Could you either have an option to save new settings or provide a key-to-number reference list so we can change the settings manually?

Yeah, I noticed those after uploading, so I'll probably re-upload with some minor tweaks very soon. The settings thing is actually not a problem with the file, by the way, but the loading. I've tested with a friend, and while we set our keys differently, the loading only works for me but not him. Since there is no error message, I'm uncertain of what causes it.The numbers are key codes, by the way. They might vary from keyboard to keyboard depending on wiring and computer language.

Well, text chat is definitely a go, but voice chat is something else entirely. I have no idea how to go about doing it and there are no easy examples regarding Game Maker, so I'm afraid you'll have to stick with Skype or something if you want to chat directly with others.Quick status update: little work have been done, but my current list of "stuff to do" has been condensed to this:- Change Toa of Gravity to use burst projectiles instead of streams.- Rework the old Gravity wave attack to Sonics.- Add a Plasma beam attack for Rahkshi (instead of the boring "cloud" that is currently listed).- Do some major fixes on Karda Nui, such as adding proper terrain settings, updating the graphics, and rework the rest in various ways.- Create a proper match system with selectable spawn points, a way to actually win, and bots that do not randomize every time they spawn.A few things I want to actually show you, though. First, a sort of story intro to this game, providing some commentary on what sort of place the Matoran Universe has become in this game. There's also some backstory for things already in-game and some things that are to come...Finally, a peek at the new graphics I'm working on for Karda Nui. I got sick of the ugly Nui-Rama hives, so here is an updated version that can actually be stuck on the ceiling.nui-rama_hive_new.png

Well, text chat is definitely a go, but voice chat is something else entirely. I have no idea how to go about doing it and there are no easy examples regarding Game Maker, so I'm afraid you'll have to stick with Skype or something if you want to chat directly with others.Quick status update: little work have been done, but my current list of "stuff to do" has been condensed to this:- Change Toa of Gravity to use burst projectiles instead of streams.- Rework the old Gravity wave attack to Sonics.- Add a Plasma beam attack for Rahkshi (instead of the boring "cloud" that is currently listed).- Do some major fixes on Karda Nui, such as adding proper terrain settings, updating the graphics, and rework the rest in various ways.- Create a proper match system with selectable spawn points, a way to actually win, and bots that do not randomize every time they spawn.A few things I want to actually show you, though. First, a sort of story intro to this game, providing some commentary on what sort of place the Matoran Universe has become in this game. There's also some backstory for things already in-game and some things that are to come...Finally, a peek at the new graphics I'm working on for Karda Nui. I got sick of the ugly Nui-Rama hives, so here is an updated version that can actually be stuck on the ceiling.nui-rama_hive_new.png

I almost thought that was a pineapple......Any way I cant wait for the new update I also love the story behind the game.

Hi there!I have a quick quirk that occurred recently on my Windows 7 computer. The game froze and I pressed the super key to escape. I then clicked back inside the screen to find my mouse, and the game began again. But this time I had over 3000 kills! This apparently has never happened on my brother's computer, which also runs Windows 7. Is it just a function of my laptop, or is it an actual bug?

I shall be saying this with a sigh

somewhere ages and ages hence:

two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by

and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost, The Road Less Traveled

It's a bug that occurs occasionally on some computers. Just be glad you're not that guy who got 10,000 deaths or something.... :P

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Okay, but is there any way to prevent it or stop it entirely? It gets kinda tiring to have to close and reopen the game most of the times I play it...

I shall be saying this with a sigh

somewhere ages and ages hence:

two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by

and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost, The Road Less Traveled

Well, it is a bug, but since it doesn't happen to me either I don't know where to start looking for it. Same thing with auto-saving settings to a file: for some it works, and for others it doesn't. Character loading seems to work for everyone, however, and that puzzles me because the characters and the settings basically use the same functions.

• 2 weeks later...

So people, guess what? Yesterday I sat down to properly (and finally!) test a little something called 39ster's Dynamic-link Library (39DLL for short) in practice. And now, I have a very simple multiplayer shooter. Two players that can move, aim and shoot at each other via the internet. So rejoice, for that means that the first tiny steps towards BIONICLE Fighter multiplayer has been taken.Now, there is one issue: If I test locally (two instances of the game running on the same computer) the connection works fine. If I connect between two computers running or the same local (or Hamachi) network, then it also works. But when trying to connect with someone on a different computer not connected locally, the connection fails. I suspect this is because of things like proxies, internet firewalls and most likely router ports. Port forwarding has been a pain in my gaming neck before, so we'll see if I can't fix this.Anyways, I'd like to ask you guys for a bit of help. Linked below is the simple shooter I mentioned.http://www.mediafire.com/?oxgow4ci9k3hl72If you would be so kind, download that game file (called "multi_test.exe") and run it. This will open a simple window where you are asked to choose a name and one of three Metroid characters (reusing resources FTW :lol:). Then click "HOST", and choose a server name. Click OK and you should see a blank, faint red background. If you do, then your game is now ready and waiting for another player to connect. If you get an error message, the game will close.Next, once you have the red window going, don't close it! Instead, run the game file again, but this time choose "JOIN". You will be asked for an IP, but since you are connecting to yourself you can just leave it as "127.0.0.1". Click OK and you should be able to play against yourself.If that works, then it would be very nice if you could also test with a friend. :) To do so, one will need to HOST first, and then when it's ready the other connects via IP.- If you are going via the internet, use a site like http://whatismyip.org/ to find the IP you need. The person joining must use the IP of the host to connect.- If you are on a local connection (same router, same network, etc) you can instead right-click on your system's connection icon and choose Status. From there, find Details, and you will get a list. The IP you need is the IPv4. This should be something like "192.168.x.xxx". Have your friend connect via that IP and it should work.Note: At the moment I expect local connections to work and internet ones to fail unless Hamachi is used to fake a local net; but that's exactly what I want to test. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Katuko

Judging by the stuff you've posted, we've got some good content coming up.

-Rahkshi Guurahk

d1O9dXQ.png

Way ahead of ya there. ;) A Metroid top-down shooter is a project of mine that is well underway, but it stagnated because I couldn't get the multiplayer working. Now that I am getting there, so might Metroid and BIONICLE Fighter both.