Alpha version 14.0.b
Advanced multiplayer platform fighting game
Download link at the bottom of this post.
Click the thumbnails to see the full screenshots.
The archived topic can be found here.
For work-in-progress previews, check my Dropbox gallery and my BZP blog.
Latest game version update: 14.0.b, September 2013.
Download found below.
From its start in late 2000 and to its almost-end in 2010, BIONICLE was one of my favorite series. I had, and still have, a great affection for the bio-mechanical beings that inhabit its universe. For several years, I've wanted to create a large-scale game based on BIONICLE. I've tried and failed twice in the past due to lack of sufficient programming skill. But now I'm back and ready, and I've gotten quite far already.I therefore proudly present to you: my work-in-progress.Note that I am making this game for you, fellow fans. Your feedback is very valuable to me. So please, if you enjoy this game: take a moment to post a reply. It will be greatly appreciated!
First out: the Toa, chosen heroes of the universe! Each Toa wields an elemental power, which allows them to control, create and absorb that element. Toa also wear Kanohi masks or helmets imbued with an additional power. Losing the mask, however, weakens the Toa. In this game, you will be able to select both your element and mask power, as well as picking a weapon from a wide selection. Some weapons have special powers of their own.
The other playable race is one of the fiercest enemy types the Toa have encountered: the Rahkshi! They might be primarily empty shells of armor controlled by a leech-like creature, but Rahkshi have special powers of their own, most of them based on destruction or deception. Rahkshi can not absorb power from the environment like Toa can, nor can they use mask powers, but they make up for it with their powerful attacks and ability to fly at will. If a Rahkshi chooses to carry a staff imbued with their own power, they can increase their strength through that as well. Toa and Rahkshi with different powers can pick up a dropped Rahkshi Staff in order to use its power.
In addition to choosing between the two species and their many powers, you can also adjust the values of five different stats: Strength, vitality, dexterity, element and mind.
- Strength modifies the power of physical attacks and melee strikes.
- Vitality increases health and other related attributes.
- Dexterity determines run speed and jump height.
- Element modifies the power of special attacks.
- Mind relates to the amount of energy available as well as its recharge rate. Mask powers also benefit from the mind stat.
The engine is still being worked on. Most of the basics are in: Movement, terrain, the ability to customize. Weapons, items and powers are being worked on. All the powers have been indexed and given default colors, but not all have actual effects in gameplay.
- Play as either Toa or Rahkshi.
- Customize your character's powers, equipment, stats and color.
- Toa elements: Fire, air, earth, stone, ice, light, shadow, plasma, magnetism, sonics, lightning, iron, psionics.
- Rahkshi powers: Fear, disintegration, poison, fragmentation, hunger, chain lightning, teleportation, quick healing, plasma, magnetism, chameleon, laser vision, gravity.
- Mask powers: Shielding, levitation, speed, strength, invisibility, corrosion, regeneration, hunger, teleportation, truth, light and shadow, portals.
- Weapon powers: Burn, freeze, stun, disarm, chainsaw, laser shot, light beam, armor piercing, Rahkshi powers, stat modifiers.
- Five main maps and two test maps. Proper maps: Karda Nui, with its giant stone pillars, straw hut village, Codrex, swarms of Nui-Rama and a boss; Mangaia, mostly a dark, flat cave at this point; Kini-Nui, the Great Temple; Onu-Koro, with its dim tunnels, underground village and flooded mine section; and Ta-Koro: Village of Fire, with a large central platform and lethal lava on both sides. A stone fortress will eventually be placed in this map.
- Various status effects (freeze, burn, poison, healing, gravity changes, temporary stat reductions, blind)
- Color customization, power and weapon selection, stat modification.
- Saving and loading of character files.
- Settings menu with customizable controls and music/sound toggle.
- Screenshot function (hit F9 to capture a screenshot and save it to the game folder)
- Battle AI enemies while you wait for the game's true purpose: Online multiplayer.
Attacking an Exo-Toa with Lightning
Dissolving an enemy with Poison
Kopaka Nuva in action
Rock to the face
Modifying the character file for fun and profit
A Rahkshi of Gravity creating a black hole
Spikes attack from a Toa of Stonev8.0:
Character creation menu
Rahkshi firing off Chain Lightning
A Toa of Fire accidentally hitting himself with a fireball
Onua, Toa of Earth, joins the fight
Draining the energy of enemies with a Rahkshi of Hunger
Turning an opponent to ash with a Fire Staff
Unleashing the power of Shadow
Preparing to teleport away from danger
Download (63.52 MB ZIP)
IMPORTANT: After downloading, you must extract the files from the archive, otherwise the game will not work properly! Extracting is as simple as right-clicking the ZIP folder and selecting "Unzip", "Extract", or whatever your computer calls it. After you get the uncompressed files, you can safely delete the ZIP itself. To start the game, simply run the EXE file (the one with the proper game icon). Note that this game is made to run on Windows systems only (Vista and later); I can not guarantee that it will work with WINE or similar.
ALSO IMPORTANT: Do not change the folder structure, or some files will not load! The game itself must be in the same folder as any DLLs and INIs, and the music must be in a sub-folder. Moving stuff around will break the program. If you want a shortcut to the game, right-click the main EXE file and choose "select shortcut". Do not move the game file itself.
- Added button for selecting game mode to the map screen.
- Added button for selecting random or fixed bot spawns, also on the map screen.
- Added pre-match display. Allows the user to view the map via the movement keys.
- Added basic surface light system and a button to turn it on/off.
- Added Psionic primary attack: Mind Wave. Homes in on enemies and lightly impairs movement.
- The Kanohi Avohkii (Light) can now create a blinding light burst at the user's location.
- The Kanohi Krahkaan (Shadow) can now blind nearby enemies and block out light in dark areas.
- The Kanohi Ruru (Night Vision) can now be used to view everything in dark areas, though with a green tint.
- New map: Onu-Koro, the underground village. Features dark caves, mechanical lifts and a flooded mine section where items spawn.
Bug fixes and engine tweaks:
- Added new static light object; affected by light and shadow attacks. Toa of Light may absorb energy from static lights.
- Added a button for the "show scoreboard" key in Settings.
- Bots now display names above their heads.
- Fixed a bug where embers would sometimes fail to be destroyed after fading away.
- Fixed bug with Toa bots checking the armor array for their shield HP.
- Healthbars can now be seen by everyone. Other stats are still hidden.
- Kanohi Rode and the Psionic passive ability now faintly reveals people in the dark as well.
- Mangaia spawn points now place light stands on each side of themselves.
- Removed stun from Disk Launcher, added higher damage and longer cooldown.
- Spawn points now refill air.
- Updated Toa Mata boss trigger to use button input.
Another game trailer (old, from game version 9.0)
Not entirely up to date at the moment
- Players will often spawn with a health bar that is not entirely full.
- If a players or AI dies right before their attack strikes a target, the log might show an "Unknown variable" error.
- Wearing armor other than Nuva Armor is not recommended at the moment.
- On newer systems (Windows 8), the game might crash when a lot of particle effects appear at once. This happens most frequently with the fire- or lightning ball attacks.
If you wish to support this game, feel free to copy and paste the code beneath one of the banners into your signature. Thanks!
Banner links found here. NOTE: Not entirely working ATM. Manual adjustment needed.
Main programmer and designer - Oskar A. Garshol (aka "Katuko" and "Noxious")
Additional ideas - Various BZP members (thanks for your support!)
Main spriter - "InnerRayg" (BZPower)
Additional sprites - Various BZP members, see in-game for details
Interface graphics - Oskar A. G.
Music and sound effects - Various artists, sounddogs.com
Game Maker 8 - Mark Overmars and the YoYo Games team
Exact list is being worked on in-game, and will change as the game gets updated. If you want to see yourself there, check out what you can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter!
Edited by Katuko, Dec 13 2013 - 12:01 PM.