Flame Sculpture

Sumiki

More like "flame trophy-like thing," really. Oh well.Originally for my blog's "Tuesday Tablescraps" segment, but I decided that the concept was too good to waste.

header.jpg(click for larger version)1.jpg_thumb.jpg | 2.jpg_thumb.jpg | 3.jpg_thumb.jpg | 4.jpg_thumb.jpg | 5.jpg_thumb.jpg

Its fire theme means that it will probably appear at BrickFair 2012.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I think black doesn't fit in this sculpture/trophy, perhaps I'd have liked more if it was more colored. But that depends on my tastes, doesn't it? Apart from that, I spot some drill pieces. Guess they're Power Miners, obviously repainted, aren't they?Whatever, I like it's shape, even if it's simple and plain, but it gives a good idea of "trophy", IMO. And I love those little binoculars. It's an overall 9/10

I personally like the black, but to each his own. I tinkered with using drill parts on this MOC (are you clairvoyant or something ._.) but in the end I did not.I have never repainted any part in my life. I am a purist in that aspect; I considered parts that are cut, glued, or repainted to be a detriment to the LEGO system.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I don't know why, but this makes me think of Barad-dûr....Anyways, I like how you managed to fit the boulder in there. Makes me think of it floating on top of a tower on Destral, wreathed in flames as it tosses and turns about.This would actually make sense as a rather good Makuta fortrees, really. It seems more like a building than a trophy/sculpture in my eyes.

Edited by Kal Grochi

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I don't know why, but this makes me think of Barad-dûr...This would actually make sense as a rather good Makuta fortrees, really. It seems more like a building than a trophy/sculpture in my eyes.

This was my very first thought. No joke. As a construction it looks absolutely awesome, but it might need some revision to give a trophy/sculpture feel. For example, those Thornatus/Power Miners type wheels add lots of angles that look like a building's support strurts or something. Regardless, I still can't stress how awesome it is...and how much it looks like Barad-dûr. I'm not even a huge LotR fan; I'm a big-time reader yet I've only seen the movies.Yeah...still looks like a tower to me. But that Nuva canister lid works no matter what you're going for. It could be a trophy's base along those lines or a building's foundation upon that train of thought. That is a winning piece usage no matter how you slice it.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

This would make an amazing flashlight, Sumiki. No kidding.I'll start from the top.Compliments:Nice use of the flames, I have to say. How did you stack them? More importantly, how on Earth did you get those lightsaber hilts to stay in place? :PI'm totally digging the blue/orange sphere build underlaying the flames. It gives off a blue-flamed feel and overall increases the detail. Nice job.The black stacked wheel/gear/drill things do nicely for an upper base, really complimenting the flames as a whole. They form a wonderful transition from top to body. Not a bad job at thinning it out in the middle. Are those binoculars I spy? That's a very resourceful use of an underused piece. Not to mention they pave the road for the subtle dark red that pinches its way through the cracks.Hmm. Another black wheel/gear/drill piece on top of a lid piece. More subtle red. It gives the feel that this thing is burning on the inside, almost like an old-fashioned stove. Looks fairly balanced.Critiques:I'll start from the bottom.Frankly, the red looks a bit out of place and much too underused to really make an impact on the MoC. It could've easily been left out and it wouldn't have made too big a difference, and might've given it a more solid feel.Like I said earlier, the binoculars are resourceful, but not really necessary. I can see you weren't trying to be streamlined to a great extent, but these kind of stick out awkwardly, IMO.Nothing else. I'd give it a...8-9/10: Great Job.

Edited by Shadow Guardian

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Great MOC. Personally, I think it looks like a black candelabra without arms. Also this was a clever idea to attach the flame pieces together by putting their bases into their tops' holes. Isn't the big flame fragile though?

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

PBZPs in the Archives: A B C C F H K L N P P S T
New Forums PBZPs: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T T U V W X Y Z

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!

This would make an amazing flashlight, Sumiki. No kidding.I'll start from the top.Compliments:Nice use of the flames, I have to say. How did you stack them? More importantly, how on Earth did you get those lightsaber hilts to stay in place? :P

Old style flames have little bars on them, similar to the plumage on Lego Castle knight helmets. Flames also contain a little clip, disguised by the flame patterns, that can attach to the bars. Before I saw a Lego Master Builder's outdoor rock concert MOC, I'd always wondered what those were for, too. :P Also, I think the lightsaber hilt's studs are attatched to the Technic holes in those Technic half-thick wheels.

aouROFb.png

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the way you formed the flame tendrils. The orange and black is nice and menacing without being too halloween-y, while the silver lightsaber handles look a bit out of place. Perhaps you could have used some regular O rods sticking out of the holes in the top gear? Regardless, excellent job. P.S. Emile A239, if I'm understanding you correctly, the drill pieces are indeed from power miners. They originally come in black, and can be found in the Thunder driller set as wheels and the base of the drill. Hope it helps...

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!