Kakama Rahi

Okay, so I have this new project. Back in 2001, the Toa Kanohi all came in six different colors. I finally completed my collection of the original 36 Toa Mata masks a while back, but what to do with them? Well, I plan to make a MOC for each of the 36 masks. And to give it a theme, I'm going to use the original six masks to recreate the Toa and use the rest to build various Rahi. This is my Thirty-Six Masks Project.I've built all my Rahi now. Sure, some of them could use some tweaking before Convention Season, but I want to post them online now so that I can get feedback and such. There are too many Rahi for one topic, but I don't want to make individual topics for each MOC (especially when some are lackluster). So instead I'm going to group them by the Kanohi mask they use.Today's are the Kakama Rahi

masks-kakama-small.jpg(Click for larger image)

I like the design of the Kakama mask, but some of the Rahi that got it weren't the very best. This is about a half-and-half decent group, but I've decided to psot all of them nonetheless.

Mini Gorilla

gorilla-small.jpgClick for Gallery

I'm not sure if this is the very worst MOC of the bunch, but it has to be in the top three. :P The concept is alright; I was basing his design off the Muaka and Kane-Ra sets of old, which had wheels on their back ends (well, actually treads, but I decided to just use wheels) and then a head and arms. I pretty much just used the Raw Jaw head and gave him some Bohrok arms and fists, and decorated his body a little bit. The design isn't terrible, but it's a little underwhelming when compared to some of the other Rahi.

I made two snake models, and this is the first and worst. It turns out snakes are hard to make! This originally started out as something else, and I was working on the head and got it to do this awesome snapping jaw movement. (You can see it in some of the pictures.) Thus, it turned into a snake, but then I tried to make a part dark red part blue body, and it didn't come out great. (Also, this was a case where I had to throw on the mask somewhere, and thus it looks kinda lame.) I like the head, but the rest of this could use work.

Purple Ussal

ussal-small.jpgClick for Gallery

Yes, this is a second Ussal design, and it's basically a recolor of the one in the other topic. The original idea was to rebuild the MNOLG Ussal using new color, and I always liked the Ussals in purple but was annoyed that I didn't have the parts to really make one. So I improvised, and used some of the purple spikes from Evo as legs and then some purple technic beams and ball joints where I could. Yes, there are three purple colors: traditional purple, dark purple (spikes), and violet (leg connectors). Still, I love how the design turned out, and you can never say no to having a couple of Ussal crabs in your Rahi army!

I was remaking all of the traditional Rahi, and the last one I attempted was the Muaka. Since I had two White Kakama masks, I decided to build the Muaka with it's tradition side-pin mask holders. (They can be pulled out, but it won't make the arms fall off, so not quite like the original set.) I gave the Muaka neck and jaw movement, as well as some white Onua claws to match the new size, and then wheels on the back. (Again, I shied away from treads.) Overall, it's a ferocious looking little kitty. The head isn't quite perfect; it doesn't have the same elegant flow as the original. But it's okay.

This is my favorite in this batch. As with the Muaka, I had two green Kakama masks so I used them on the Kane-Ra. I gave it wheels, movable legs, a neck, and everything. Overall, the flow works much better, especially on the head. I also bulked up the body with a Hockey set piece, which is new to me since I had just ordered it when I started building these. I also liked how I was able to incorporate the various spikey green pieces. I guess the one downside is the limited mobility of the hooves, but the double-joints help stabilize the legs, so that's the price I paid.Anyway, that's it for now. Comments appreciated. I have all the rest of the pictures uploaded and everything... now it's just a matter of posting them on BZP. And since I don't want to throw out the next three topics back to back, I'll stagger them out until Bricks Cascade begins. ;) Thanks for looking! :music:

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 1

Nice job. I love how you got the colors to work out accordingly with the masks. My personal favorite has to be the purple ussal or the snow muaka. Overall great job on all of them!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

you know i don't know the proper words to describe this. i find it amazing that you were able to use all those different masks. my personal favorite is the purple crab.the snake to me seems a bit jumbled up. but besides him every thing else looks good

Edited by Voxumo The Frozen One

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

The Kane-RA is the best, it's very nostalgic, well colour schemed and the Masks fit in well.The Mini gorilla has the look of just having the mask stuck on the back really. I also think using the second HF mask doesn't work well with the Kakama theme, it would perhaps have been better to integrate the Kakama into the head somehow.The Ussal is again nostalgic, and on a level with the Kane-Ra really.The Muaka isn't brilliant, the head looks kinda blocky. I think it would be Muaka like if the wheels were in tandem, as opposed to side by side.The Cobra has a great design, but the Kakama looks like it's a hat sitting on the top or something.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't