Comics Contest #2: Onomatopoetic Justice

Ziko

header4.png

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the second Comics forum contest, Onomatopoetic Justice!In April, LEGO released the Super Heroes Movie Maker, an app that let you record the adventures of your favorite LEGO crime fighters. In recognition of this release, we're looking to see you try your hands at doing the same thing in a comic; for this contest, you will "film" a super hero action sequence. Your comics need not be frame-by-frame sequences, but they should flow rather like an animation.But that's not all! The Movie Maker does not record dialogue, so your comics won't have any, either. However, one of the staples of super hero comics and shows alike will be at your disposal: onomatopoeia, words made to represent sounds. To make your comics come alive, you can break out your best whams, bangs, and kapows!In summary, for this contest, you must create a super hero action sequence, using no text aside from sound effects. We look forward to seeing your work!Entry period:Entries will be accepted from June 1, 12:00 AM EDT until June 30, 11:59 PM EDT. This means you have approximately four weeks to complete your entry, so please plan accordingly!Unauthorized revisions will not be allowed after an entry has been submitted; if you need to fix something in your entry, please contact either -Windrider- or me.Entry form:Please fill this out and post it in this topic to enter your comic.Member name:Entry name:Entry URL:Optional:Thumbnail URL (highly recommended; more on this in "Entry requirements"):Entry topic:Entry requirements:All entries of all media will be accepted and will not be separated into categories. Entries of all lengths will be accepted, as well. There are, however, a few requirements to be followed.Entries must be LEGO-related. This is in compliance with the rules of the Comics forum; this is not a COT contest!Entries should not exceed 3 MB in file size per page. You are allowed to split your entry into multiple files/pages, but each must be less than 3 MB in size.Remember that if your image is above 500 kB in size, you should link to it in compliance with BZPower's global rules.Entries must be in GIF, JPEG, or PNG format. Your comic's presentation must be static, with one exception:Your comic may be presented as an animated GIF. This is a deviation from the previous contest's rules to allow entrants to better emulate the Movie Maker app if they so desire. Other forms of animation, such as SWF files, will not be allowed, as such entries would belong in the Music & Movies forum. It is highly recommended that you provide a 128x128 pixel crop or thumbnail that represents your comic. These will be displayed in the polls for flavor. For examples of past thumbnails, take a look at the last contest's polls. If you do not submit one, we will use the standard Brickshelf/Majhost thumbnail, and you might not like it!General rules:Failure to follow these rules may result in a disqualification.All BZPower Rules must be followed! If it would not be allowed in a post, it is not allowed in a comic.Only one entry per member.All entries must be your original work and cannot have been published on BZPower prior to your entering it.Entries may not be modified once posted unless you have instruction to do so to fix a rules violation, or if you have approval to correct a minor error. All such requests should be PMed to -Windrider- or me. The assistants, -Windrider-, and I will check all entry images against the ones submitted at the end of the entry period. On that note:No cheating! We will catch you if you modify your entry without approval. Cheating = disqualification = sad.No mass advertising your entry through PM or other means. PMs amongst you and your friends are fine, but nothing more. If you receive an unsolicited advertising PM, please report it.If you wish to advertise your entry, you may do so through your signature or blog, or, of course, by posting an entry topic. Please do follow the signature guidelines.Voting:Voting will take place in polls. We anticipate two rounds of voting for this contest:Preliminary voting should begin on July 1st and will end on July 3rd.Final voting should begin on July 4th and end on July 6th.Prizes:The prizes for this contest, graciously donated by LEGO, are an Iron Man minifigure and a Captain America minifigure, pictured hereThe 1st place winner will receive his or her choice of minifigure, and the 2nd place winner will receive the other.Hosts, assistants, and conduct:Your contest hosts are Ziko and -Windrider-.Your contest assistants are Kakaru and 55555.This topic will be left open for contest discussion, and while discussion is encouraged, we expect everyone to conduct him or herself professionally. That means no spamming, no flaming, no whining, etc. It could hurt your standing in the contest! Additionally, please do not try to "play moderator." If you have issues with someone's behavior, someone's entry, or anything, please do not post about it. You can PM any of the four of us, and we can sort things out privately.If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the four of us, or simply post in this topic.Banners and such:Below are several contest banners that you can use. We encourage the submission of more banners, and we also encourage you to use these to advertise the contest!supermansig.png (40.4kb)

[url="http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5137"][img=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Ziko/Banners/ComicContest/02/supermansig.png][/url]
Transparent Superman (33.9kB)Compact Sig (7.5kB)Shout Bubble (10.6kB) Edited by -Windrider-

I already have the idea forming in my head. This is going to be quite the interesting contest... I might have to research some comics on what sound effects to use though. Lets get comic making.

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

This will be really fun. Can't wait to come up with an idea and battle out for first place. Well, better get started on comic making. Just posting these few sentences is wasting valuable time. :P (Not really...)-Rez

Would it be possible to post the completed work outside of BZPower before it is entered?

Well, we won't be looking off-site for anything and probably wouldn't find out if you did post the comic, but we would prefer that you not post it. The comic's posting on BZP should be its first release.

I might try this, but I'm unfamiliar with what exactly constitutes a comic, can I take pictures of my Lego Bricks and then edit them to have sound effects? Or does it have to be drawn to be a comic?

That would probably work. That style of comic is a lost breed around here, so I'm sure people can come to appreciate that.

I might try this, but I'm unfamiliar with what exactly constitutes a comic, can I take pictures of my Lego Bricks and then edit them to have sound effects? Or does it have to be drawn to be a comic?

That would probably work. That style of comic is a lost breed around here, so I'm sure people can come to appreciate that.
Any medium used, so long as it stays Lego-related and purely onomatopoetic, is fine. Sprites, pencils, vectors, 3d, Lego bricks, whatever. Thanks Gerlicky!Edit: "onomatapaeic" isn't a word. And it doesn't sound as cool as the actual term. Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Alright, here is a question I've been wondering. Is a person's comic allowed to have the title of the comic in there comic? Example: Link (Top right corner).I'm not talking about it being dialogue or just a title in the corner of a comic. Something like having it at the bottom of the climax panel or something to that effect.~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Anyway, I'll probably enter this one, seeing as I didn't enter the last one. Where's the entry topic?
You can post your entries in this topic, and an entry list topic will be made after we receive a few entries.

Sorry if off topic;How do i make a GIF?I got all the photos
There are a bunch of different programs you can use to make a .gif, among them GIMP and (I can only assume) Photoshop. If you have either one, there are plenty of guides on the Internet on how to animate using them. If you don't have either of them, though, you can always search online for websites that can make the .gif for you.Google is your friend. =PEDIT: Speaking of which, are full frame-by-frame animations allowed, or can we only enter .gifs in the standard comic format? Edited by Ikkad

EDIT: Speaking of which, are full frame-by-frame animations allowed, or can we only enter .gifs in the standard comic format?
Entries must be in GIF, JPEG, or PNG format. Your comic's presentation must be static:Your comic may be presented as an animated GIF. This is a deviation from the previous contest's rules to allow entrants to better emulate the Movie Maker app if they so desire. Other forms of animation, such as SWF files, will not be allowed, as such entries would belong in the Music & Movies forum.
I'm going to assume here that this means you can make an animated GIF out of your comic, since it's a deviation of the previous rule, which would only allow you to animate individual panels within the comic as a whole. I'd wait for confirmation on this from Windrider though, just to be safe. Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

I'm going to assume here that this means you can make an animated GIF out of your comic, since it's a deviation of the previous rule, which would only allow you to animate individual panels within the comic as a whole. I'd wait for confirmation on this from Windrider though, just to be safe.
This is correct. You have the option to make your comic a frame-by-frame animation in this contest, as long as it is presented in GIF format.

I'd rather that text used for reasons other than onomatopoeia be avoided. That said, I'm not going to disqualify someone for a word or two used for non-narrative purposes, because the goal is for entries to mimic a product of the app mentioned in the linked news story. (The prizes are sponsored by LEGO, after all.) Well, I suppose it's not that simple: the app doesn't allow for the recording of sound, and so allowing sound effects is a bit of an extra so as not to hinder your expression so severely. Yes, a store sign could be filmed using the app, but is its inclusion necessary in an action sequence? Only you can judge that, really; I have no idea.I suppose what I am trying to say is that the "using no text aside from sound effects" modifier was added not only to encourage a better approximation of a product of the app, but to challenge you artists to knit a narrative without using words. The last contest called upon the "Library" half of Comics more than it did the "Artwork" side; this time around, we are reversing things.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's quite late notice, but would it be possible to get a small extension to the deadline? I'm almost finished my entry but without the full story it wouldn't make much sense. I know there's at least one other person who would greatly appreciate a bit of extra time as well. :)

With such late notice, we're not so comfortable with giving an extension. I know that not many have entered, but let's be honest: not many people expressed an interest in entering this time around, and most who did have submitted their entries. If we had reason to expect a significantly bigger turnout with a deadline extension, then we might go through with it. As things stand now, though, we must offer our apologies.