Library Summer Olympics 2012 - COT Edition

Library Summer Olympics 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epics results below, SS contest underway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contest ResultsShort Stories Contest ResultsSilver: Love and Legend, by My Name is Nuile!Gold: Eternity, by Legolover-361!!Congratulations to both of you! But I'm guessing you're wondering what exactly you won! Surprizes are the best prizes! Hahahahaha I'm so funny (not.)Legolover-361, you've won your choice of two random metallic gold and silver Kanohi OR two random Kanohi Nuva in whichever two colors you choose (I'll make sure not to give you the ones that came with the Toa Nuva themselves), and also your choice of a custom member title or +100 post count boostMy Name is Nuile, you've won your choice of a random metallic gold or silver Kanohi OR a Kanohi Vahi, and your choice of a custom member title or +50 post count boostPlease contact me with your choices and mailing addresses so I can get your Kanohi to you!Thank you so much to all the judges, and everyone who entered, chatted, helped, and shared their excitement! I hope everyone had an AWESOME time during this year's Library Olympics. Look forward to more literary COT contests in the future!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Velox, for that wonderful introduction! Good afternoon, BZ-Koro COT Writers! I hope you've all been participating in the warm-ups over the past couple weeks, because now it's time for the main event. But even if you haven't done some preliminary stretching and training, you're still welcome to join in the games. Summer is rushing in, sweeping us out of school and generously tossing us some extra free time. And what better way to spend our gentle lazy days than taking part in the second contest to include all three Library divisions?I've got a better way, sure! How about we include COT in our Olympics this year? That's right; this year we're hosting 6 literary contests in one summer! You are welcome to enter as many or as few as you wish, just step up here to sign a couple waivers ... oh wait wait, don't sign that one, that sneaky Nigerian prince seems to have slipped a fraud form in there ... no, we are not liable if you break a bone on a writer's block ... okay, perfect!Now, would all Short Stories contestants please meet in the gymnasium, the Short Stories' Artistic Gymnastics Reimagine is about to take place!The Events1. Comedies: True Fan Archery Competition - June 9th - June 28th, 2012 - Information here2. Epics: Unlimited Prompt Relay - July 2nd - July 54th, 2012 - Information here3. Short Stories: Artistic Gymnastics Reimagine - August 2nd - 21st, 2012 - Information below!General Rules- To enter the Bionicle-themed version of this contest, please visit LSO 2012 in the Library. Do not post those entries here; this topic is for COT only!- No arguing, fussing, or flaming. The first time I call you down, I'll let you walk. The second time, you'll be automatically disqualified from every event. Also, appropriate action will be taken (ie proto drop, suspension, etc.)- All questions should be asked in this topic. Or, you can PM me, Velox, or 55555.- If there are judges on a certain event, do not bother or bribe them. If you find out or suspect that someone is a judge, leave them alone. If I find out you were trying to make them vote for your work, you'll be disqualified. Judges, you may not reveal yourselves until the end. This is for your own protection.- If you suspect someone is cheating, please PM me. Don't post it here.- Let's stay on topic. If you are going to post, make it a post that adds to the discussion. I will delete spam posts without any sort of warning.Thanks for helping me out by following the guidelines, guys. :biggrin:Current Event - Short Stories Artistic Gymnastics ReimagineHow It WorksThe last event of this Olympic year is upon us! I hope everyone's ready for a final push for the gold!Everyone either knows the history, has a theory, or has read a fascinating myth on how most things came to be. A war was fought and a country was won, or perhaps an aspiring group set out to craft new lives on unclaimed soil. A god threw a bolder into the sky and created a planet, or maybe he sneezed and it resulted in an entire new race. There are countless stories and theories, and they all define us as passionate, imaginative, and clever beings.Yet, if you could step out of time and change the origin history of something, what would you pick? What would you do? Would you create a fascinating society of an unheard species on Neptune? Would the many nations of the world instead turn out to be just a few megacountries? Would a clumsy cat accidentally spill his milk to create the moon? Would there have been an intelligent species who lived on Earth before us? For this event, I'm looking for short stories that detail a new origin story for locations, namely planets and/or countries. Just let your imagination go crazy and scribble out that what-if idea you've always had.How To EnterBefore August 21st, 2012 at 11:59 pm PDT, post your entry in a new topic in COT, and then post a reply in this topic with the information below.- Your name- The title of your entry, containing a link to your entry (don't know how to link? Just type your title, highlight it, and hit the Link button in the post formatting tools above)Special Rules- One entry per member- The story you write must be new; not posted on BZPower before now- Your entry must be contained in one post- You are allowed to edit your story until the entry period ends. After that, any editing will get you disqualified.- Fictional locations are off-limits. For example, no Middle Earth, no Narnia, etc. Atlantis, El Dorado, Camelot, and countries that used to exist are fair game. If you think of a place that may or may not have existed, such as Atlantis, ask about it in this topic and I'll let you know if it counts.- No fictional characters from published works. This includes fictional characters from published books, video games, and movies. However, characters from traditional myths and legends are permitted. This means that while you can't include Luke Skywalker in your story, you can include Zeus.Q&AQ: Can I use my characters from my story?A: Yes.Q: Do I have to enter all the events?A: No, you can enter however many you like. It will have no effect on your standings.Q: Can I enter both the Library and COT version of this contest?A: Sure!Q: I'm a staff member but I really want to enter. Can I?A: I feel that we're in a good place to accept staff entries. You won't be given special treatment, but I would love for any and all staff to enter!This contest is a little complex, so if you're confused, please don't hesitate to ask a question!PrizesStill planning per usualContest StaffContest Queen:Hahli HuskyContest Minions:Velox55555(if any other staff would like to help out, please PM me!)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Contestants! On your mark ... get set ... WRITE!

Edited by Blossom

Comedies True Fan Archery Entries ListContest Results!Bronze: Nuile (Nuuuuuuuiiiiiiiillllllleeeeeeeee): The Daft Wordbender's A Game of PoniesSilver: iBrow Hearts Rarity's Remember ReachGold: Legolover-361's Cellblock 5397CEntry #1:Story: A Game of PoniesMember: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithBased on: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, based upon Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Final ProblemEntry #2:Story: Remember ReachMember: iBrow Hearts RarityBased on: Halo: ReachEntry #3:Story: Cellblock 5397CMember: Legolover-361Based on: Star Wars Episode IV: A New HopeEntry #4:Story: Hardships of Teenage ExistenceMember: AderiaBased on: Twilight and The Hunger Games, looselyEntry #5:Story: Call of Pony: Modern FriendshipMember: RarityBased on: Call of Duty 4: Modern WarfareEntry #6:Story: Teddy Bear FactoryMember: fishers64Based on: Hero Factory Breakout Edited by Hahli Husky

Epics Unlimited Prompt Relay Contest Results!Silver: Team Two! Excellent work, Pahrak Cantus, xccj, 55555, and dotcom!Gold: Team One! Congrats to Grant-Sud Rises, Velox, Legolover-361, and Tolkien! Team OneGrant-Sud RisesVeloxLegolover-361TolkienTeam TwoPahrak Cantusxccj55555dotcom

Edited by Hahli Husky

I think I just died and went to writing heaven. And I was so young! :cry:Already my deceased gears are turning and I think I'm starting to resuscitate. Yes yes, but my death gave me an idea. I know what I'm going to do. :updown: This contest is like Christmas in June. I unofficially pronounce it awesome. :gavel:EDIT: I just used three smilies in one post, excluding my sign-off. That's a clear sign I'm thrilled. :br:
From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith :smilemirunu:

Edited by Nuile: The Daft Wordbender

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Aha, well. I can't honestly remember the last time I set foot in the Comedies wing of the library. But then this idea flew out of nowhere and whacked me in the head. So I think I might try my hand at this.Anyways, would we be allowed to cite more than one book/story to base our entry on? (like 2, not a gazillion)

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Aha, well. I can't honestly remember the last time I set foot in the Comedies wing of the library. But then this idea flew out of nowhere and whacked me in the head. So I think I might try my hand at this.Anyways, would we be allowed to cite more than one book/story to base our entry on? (like 2, not a gazillion)
Hmmmm, I'm cool with that. :) Sure!

Query: Would it be permissible for my single-post entry to be split into ten or so segments of approximately 300 words each?

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

Query: Would it be permissible for my single-post entry to be split into ten or so segments of approximately 300 words each?

That's fine, as long as it's all in the first post. :) Anything not in that first post won't be judged.

Oh, dear. Can I base my entry on a film based loosely on a book? Namely, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

I'll be announcing the prizes for the Comedies portion of LSO later today once everything is certain. :) Since the deadline is tomorrow and the prizes are just now getting finalized, would you guys like to have the deadline extended by a few days? We have about 7 entries in the Comedies portion and absolutely none in COT. I would even provide extra editing time to those who already entered.

Oh, dear. Can I base my entry on a film based loosely on a book? Namely, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

Yes, this is fine.

- A Game of Ponies- Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, based upon Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Final Problem

I'll be announcing the prizes for the Comedies portion of LSO later today once everything is certain. :) Since the deadline is tomorrow and the prizes are just now getting finalized, would you guys like to have the deadline extended by a few days? We have about 7 entries in the Comedies portion and absolutely none in COT. I would even provide extra editing time to those who already entered.
And prevent me from winning first, second, and third prize without any competition? :o Yes, please do. I can't win without competition! ;P

Well, I was gonna use tomorrow to keep my procrastination skills sharp, but since you're offering, an extension would be great!

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)

Okay, so the deadline has been extended until Thursday, the 28th. Also, prizes are now listed in the starting post. Check it out! Entries can now be edited until the end of the entry period.Ooh, sorry Aderia! :lol:

Assuming the deadline is extended- would I be able to base my entry on a video game?-ibrow
Yes, that's a good idea. Edited by Larry Fine

A question: If there is a shortage of entries, what will be done? I do plan to enter; I'm just curious about what should happen if no one else does. :P
Assuming they receive three entries, they'd probably just automatically win. More than that, the entries will most likely be judged as normal.Unless circumstances truly turn dire, there shouldn't be less than three entries.-ibrow

A question: If there is a shortage of entries, what will be done? I do plan to enter; I'm just curious about what should happen if no one else does. :P
The contest will go on. Granted, it'll be a lot smaller and less-challenging to win, but still. There's a chance we would merge the COT and Comedies entries together and find a winner based from all, but I'm not sure of the likelihood of that (ultimately up to HH, so I can't really say). Right now Nuile would most-likely simply be the only winner as he is the only entrant. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Yeah, I think if there's at least three entries, we'll still judge to see who gets which prizes. :) If we have only one or two, we might end up merging the judging for the events.

-Hardships of Teenage Existence-Aderia-Based off: Twilight and The Hunger Games, looselyAlso, my entry was about 10 minutes late, I'm not sure how tight a ship you're running here, but just so you know.

Edited by Aderia

I made a mistake writing the deadline anyway, so don't worry, guys. It was supposed to be 11:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time, so I could catch it. XDAnyway, deadline is hit and judging begins now. :) If anybody who didn't enter this one wants to help judge it, please let me know! Also, if you entered here but didn't enter the COT version, you can judge that one.

Edited by Larry Fine

I made a mistake writing the deadline anyway, so don't worry, guys. It was supposed to be 11:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time, so I could catch it. XDAnyway, deadline is hit and judging begins now. :) If anybody who didn't enter this one wants to help judge it, please let me know! Also, if you entered here but didn't enter the COT version, you can judge that one.
*breathes massive sigh of relief* Yes!

Name: XccjExample:Samantha rushed forward, fists at ready. I swooped down into a low kick, hoping to take her down with her own momentum. But she jumped and flipped in the air over my kick, and landed behind me. She turned to punch me, but I had cart wheeled to the side, anticipating her attack. She spun to turn and attack me again, but this time I was ready. I was already swinging my leg, and this time I caught her in the gut. She fell back, winded, as I steadied myself.“You’re good,” she finally said.“So are you,” I replied. :music:

Name: Legolover-361Sample:

Killer... A killer, thats what I am.He could still remember why hadnt his memory shut down? Why hadnt his body turned on itself, renting his soul into a million pieces because he didnt deserve to live? Why hadnt he done it himself yet?The memory came to his conscious mind unbidden, drifting before his eyes like an all-too-real dream. He could not be hearing Rickys voice in his ear, and yet, he was. An impossibility.The sunlight gave way to a dull, gray apartment room.
Edited by Legolover-361

- Nuile- Exemplar:

Even her sobs, as she ran away from me forever, were more beautiful than any sound I had ever heard in the jungle. I knew her voice would echo forever within me, that her image would never fade from my mind. I knew I would never forget her. And I knew I would never see her again after what I had done. And I never forgot. I would often sit by the pool and remember, gazing fixedly at its surface and recollecting times when it reflected her Kanohi beside my disfigured face. And my tears would mingle with the waters.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

Pahrak CantusWriting example:He turned back towards the door, but then he froze. The image had moved as well, copying his exact movements. Logic provided a solution, but it was cut down by disbelief—the youth could not accept a conclusion such as that. What he thought it was…that was impossible. He knew it could not be true. Still, he had to test his hypothesis—he took several more steps forward. The image copied him. He reached out his hand. The image did the same. At last, the youth looked down at his arm, and logic made its victorious retaliation.

Name: Grant-SudSample:Taking in shallow breaths of air, the boy stood back against the wall with the bat in his hand.He peaked from behind the corner of the hallway after hearing that noise once again. The creaking of someone making their way up the stairs was unmistakable. But his mother wasn't supposed to be home yet.The boy tightened his grip on the baseball bat. He had never been good enough to make it on the school’s team.The shadow came into view. He brought the bat to his shoulders, unsure of if he was going to be good enough now.

Edited by Grant-Sud Rises

Name: dotcomWriting Sample:Dr. Smith looked down at his bare chest. The dignified image of the mighty wolf, with its beautiful crown, greeted him as always. Of course, it was upside down, for otherwise, how could he see it? He had gotten the tattoo for his daughter’s seventh birthday. He knew she liked large dogs and princesses, so when he saw the stock tattoo in the parlor’s walls, he was sure it was the perfect choice.He turned and examined the patient. There were no visible tattoos anywhere on his body. “He mustn’t love his family very much,” he muttered under his breath.

AXKP5KC.png

Name: 55555Writing Sample: A black creature charged across the plains, spouting steam and fire into the cool night air. There is a stir of movement in the engine that is not parallel to the reckless speed of the juggernaut, a fluid gesture alien to its mechanical drive. A figure moves in the masking vapor, a boy shovels coals into an inferno, feeding the beast of iron and physics. He wears a cloth over his nose and mouth, and two bright green eyes shine from his smoke blackened face. His posture and movements, his mixed caution and recklessness spoke of long experience despite his early age. His father had worked this line long before he was born, the steam was in his blood.- 55555

Name: VeloxWriting Sample:You feel that inexplicable, utterly chilling sense that you are being watched, waves of icy electricity shuddering up and down your spine. Your whole form is tense, frightened, prepared to run...But the warning never came.From the darkness behind you, you hear a hissing sound, feel your shoulders being torn backward by a creature of inhuman strength, feel your body being lifted off the ground like a rag doll.It got you.You cry out in horror, in pain, in terrible agony.And it all ends.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender