The Ambage

The Adeptly Marvelous BZPower Authors' Guild Ensemble

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation

Welcome to The Ambage, a writer's club whose purpose is to have a community of writers having fun together, writing together, and improving each other together. "Ambage," by definition, is a style that involves indirect ways of expressing things. That is exactly what a writer does. This writers' club is dedicated to helping authors write more, to challenge themselves, and to review more on BZPower, in order to stimulate activity in the Library and OTC forums, as well as to unite the writers on BZPower together. No one should feel left out--if you're a writer, or want to be a writer, you belong here. If you want to become a better writer, this club is especially for you--everyone can always improve.Every week there are write-offs, every other week there are official BZPower Flash Fiction contests, every month there is a Writing Prompt, and there are also achievements one can receive by writing and reviewing.

On BZPower

Monthly Writing PromptsOn the first of each month, a new "story starter" (aka Writing Prompt) will be given. These story starters will either be an image or a line of text, designed to inspire story ideas. One does not have to use the exact words or base the story explicitly on the image, but simply use them for inspiration. For example, if an image is used, one may write a story on the title of the image, on the scene in the image itself, or simply take inspiration from something in the image and draw a theme from that. Achievements can be reached by using the monthly writing prompt. The monthly prompts can be used for write-offs, flash fiction contests, or any other writing that you'd like--there's no limit to how many times you can use the prompt in a month.Fortnightly Flash Fiction ContestsEvery other week an official BZPower contest will be hosted by the Ambage (but open to all BZP-members), alternating between Bionicle and OTC. Each contest begins on a Monday and last for two weeks, the first week being the entry period and the second week being the judging period. Each contest will have at least two judges. There will be a 400-800 word guideline, with 1000 words as the absolute maximum.There will be one winner and a several honorable mentions, varying depending on how many entries there were. ReviewingAs writers looking for both improvement and evidence that someone out there likes our work, reviewing is a very important part of the Ambage. The one giving the review also gains from the experience, as critiqueing another's work is excellent practice for evaluating your own. We urge you to review as often as you can.The Short Stories Review Pass is a particularly enjoyable way of reviewing as you are assured a review of your own in return. You simply review the story above you, and then post a story for the next person to review. It's a great way get to know each other better, get a review of your own work, and obtain achievements.Achievements Sometimes the most elusive thing for a writer to find is motivation. You might have all the ideas ready, but without a goal, you can get stuck. Enter the Ambage Achievements, created by Cederak. Think of them as a list of mini writing-goals for Ambage members, a chance to show yourself how much you have accomplished and to chronicle your writing endeavors for all to see. These individual achievements are meant to provide you, the writer, with something to work toward while being involved in the Ambage community. You can find the list of achievements here. To log your achievements, simply post them in this topic. As you accomplish more, edit your post, and you can also make a new post announcing your changes. (Or you can use a blog entry to log your achievements, if you'd rather.)

On Skype

Many Ambage features take place exclusively on Skype. If you do not have Skype, it only takes a few minutes to download and is very convenient for things like this. To participate in these features, add one of the Hosts to your Skype contact list (my username is VeloxScriptor) and ask them to add you to the various chats--the three main ones are: the main Ambage discussion chat, the Write-Off chat, and the Anthology Discussion chat. As Skype can become unruly, please keep in mind the following rules and guidelines or you will be removed from the chats:

Rule 1. All things in moderation. The Ambage is a writing group. We want to promote discussion of topics related to writing, reading, literature, etc. That is our main goal. However, this doesn't mean we don't allow or welcome other discussion. We're pretty lenient on that front, in fact. We simply ask you to keep in mind our main goal and moderate your random discussion appropriately. If you go "over the top," a host may step in to calm you down. Rule 2. All things in moderation. We want to promote a positive and relatively clean environment in the Ambage. That extends to your use of language; i.e. profanity and objectionable content. We don't have the ability to police the Ambage chat second-by-second, so we ask that you police yourself on these fronts. If a host is present, however, be assured that they are willing to keep the chats clean. Rule 3. All things in moderation, especially controversial things. Controversial topics, including but not limited to political and religious discussion, should be taken to the complimentary Ambage Controversial Discussion chat. It's there for a reason. Ask a host to add you if you aren't there. What counts as controversial is up to your discretion and the discretion of any hosts present, so please be discrete. Keep in mind that many people join this club as a writing club, and do not want to listen to political or religious discussion. Rule 3a. All things in their proper place. In the same vein as Rule 3, discussion in the other Ambage chats, such as the Write-Off Central and the Ambage Anthology, should be relevant to and in the spirit of the relevant chat. Rule 4. All things with respect. We want to promote a positive community in the Ambage. We can do that by showing mutual respect toward one another. Respect your fellow members. Respect the chat hosts. If you have a disagreement with someone, either resolve it over PC or take it to the Controversial Discussion Chat, if that applies. At the end of the day, we are a community of writers, here to encourage one another and hone our craft. Disrespect and discourtesy shouldn't get in the way of that, and will not be tolerated.

Below is a list of the Skype-exclusive features:

Write-Offs

Inspired by 55555, there are twice-weekly write offs between Ambage members. The write-offs will take place every Saturday AND Sunday at around 9PM EST on Skype (if you do not live in the US and that is a bad time for you, contact a host as we have alternatives). When it comes time for the write-off to begin, one of the hosts will post a theme and ending time (each write-off will last for about 15 minutes). All participants will then write until the time is up, after which they will send their stories to the host of the write-off over BZP PM, so that they can be compiled on an outside blog (comments are disabled; simply used as a place to showcase the stories all in one place so we can comment on the stories over Skype). Stories do not have to be Bionicle-themed (most are not).The point of these write-offs is not perfection--rather, they're just a way to get writers writing. It is encouraged that you use the Monthly Prompt in your write-offs. Published Anthologies Our newest Ambage feature, after the success of X:15, we will be opening it up to the general Ambage. This is a chance for you to have multiple stories included in a published anthology. Much of the discussion and planning will be done over a Skype group chat. An overarching theme will be chosen, and a deadline will be given for stories. The stories will then be workshopped by every member participating, and another deadline will be given for workshopping, and finally one last deadline for final stories. All those participating must remain active in both the discussion and the workshopping. Those who are not or who miss deadlines will be removed from the project--it's hard coordinating a large project such as this, so unfortunately we will not be able to give any slack on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Events

March Writing Prompt "A faint glimmer . . ." March Flash Fiction Contests Bionicle: March 18thOTC: March 4th

Membership

The Ambage is all-inclusive. As I said earlier, anyone can join, whether a writer or a hopeful-writer. All we ask is that, if you sign up, you try to be active. That doesn't mean you have to enter every contest and every write-off, but at least make an effort to do so. The purpose of this club is to have a community of writers having fun together, writing together, and improving each other together -- that can't happen if people are not active. Therefore, we ask that you only join if you are able to be at least semi-active.To sign up: Simply post in this topic stating your intention to join.

Ambage Hosts Velox -- Founder/Host (VeloxScriptor)Nuile -- Founder/Host (nuile-caldwell)Tolkien -- Co-Host (bzptolkien)55555 -- Co-Host (johntothefifth)

Cederak -- Host Emeritus Ambage Judges/Reviewers VeloxNuileTolkien55555GSRAderiaZaraynaGrant-SudLegolover-361 Members (Count: 34) (To see the list of members, go here)

Community

This club is about more than writing; it is about community. It is a place for writers to be able to come together and review or talk or, most importantly, write. It is a gathering place that all might unite in comity to share their passion for the magical art of literature. This is about them, about us, about you, for we are all writers. In this topic feel free to discuss anything relating to writing, whether on BZPower or otherwise (as long as it's appropriate). Writing discussion is welcome and encouraged--whether or not you're a member. Post excerpts from your own work to hear people's comments, ask people's opinions on things, debate grammar or style, ameliorate your privy lexis, or whatever you like. This club is meant to be a community: it is for you, all you writers.

Closing

"A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write."--UnknownAnd so it is with that that we invite you once again to write. A writer does indeed have to write, and to become a good writer, one must receive critique. That is what this club is for. For writing and helping each other improve.Sincerely, VeloxNuile

Tolkien

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Ah, the relaunch of the relaunch of the return of the League of Authors! :PThis is awesome. This is truly awesome. Many thanks to Hahli Husky for allowing us to place this here in the Short Stories forum, that will truly be beneficial to us--and, I hope, to the community itself. Thanks also to Velox, without whom this never would have gotten as far as it has; and to Cederak and 55555 for all their help with this new relaunch.And so, here's to writing! *raises glass of ink*

Count me in, and major props to the genius who came up with that acronym!
Despite my original intent to wait a month just to firmly establish my procrastinating character, sign m up please! :PI hope this will jump start the library forums more.
The two of you are actually already signed up. This is really just a reboot, with some adaptations, of the Authors' Guild; if you were a member of that, you're a member of this. The list of participants will be added when Velox remembers to do that. XD

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

But Velox told me over chat everyone had to resign up.So confused. ;.;
He told me that he would transfer all members with the guild; then, as he told me after I posted, he changed his mind. :P But it is settled now, I believe, that all BAG members are Ambage members.

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

Well, better safe than sorry to resign up, even if I rather lost track of things during the last challenge. No matter! Once more unto the breach!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I'm only disappointed that the write-offs will be taking place via Skype, as I'm not allowed to download it. Is there any way to chat with Skype users without mandatory downloading?
I hadn't realized that the write-offs were going to be exclusively Skype. Reading it over, I see that you're right, it does say that. :P Personally I am up against the same problem as you. I would think we could do that here. I'll talk to Velox about it.

I'm only disappointed that the write-offs will be taking place via Skype, as I'm not allowed to download it. Is there any way to chat with Skype users without mandatory downloading?
I hadn't realized that the write-offs were going to be exclusively Skype. Reading it over, I see that you're right, it does say that. :P Personally I am up against the same problem as you. I would think we could do that here. I'll talk to Velox about it.

It was my understanding that Velox is more than happy to liaison the AIM crowd during our write offs. In the event that he is not available during a write off, however, and it's being handled by 55555 or myself, the AIM users may need to designate a separate liaison if they wish to participate that night.-Ced

Actually, yes. I was searching around today and you can use this site to log in with Skype, and you can use this link to create an account with Skype; both of which can be done straight from your browser. =] Would that work?
I'll bite, Velox (Andrew, if I remember right. :P)
Yep, you got it right.
It was my understanding that Velox is more than happy to liaison the AIM crowd during our write offs. In the event that he is not available during a write off, however, and it's being handled by 55555 or myself, the AIM users may need to designate a separate liaison if they wish to participate that night.-Ced
Yep, I am also willing to do this. However, I hope I won't have to and that between either downloading Skype or using the links I posted above, everyone can use Skype -- it would be difficult for me to keep track on everyone on AIM (which would also mean I could accommodate Gmail Chat users, as I can sync that to AIM), but if I really have to, I can; I want to accommodate as many people as possible. But again, as Ced said, this would only be if I'm there -- if I'm not available for some reason, then the AIM users unfortunately would not be able to participate (but again, you can use Skype online as I pointed out above).newso1.pngAnyway, I was supposed to post this last night but just went to bed instead since I have a fever. So, one day late:

Challenge #1

Your Objective:

Write an Allegory

"Allegory teaches moral lessons through concrete example in the form of a story everyone can relate to. Abstractions alone rarely persuade; they must be rooted in human experience; they must demonstrate the necessity of adopting their lessons before they can be believed." - Fred White

The importance of allegory is in its essential, untempered form of storytelling. Beneath the surface of every good story that is told, there is another story being told. Allegory generally emphasizes the story beneath the story, rather than the story itself. Essentially, an allegory is a parable; a symbolic metaphor depicting principles and ideals and their antitheses.

Every writer should read an allegory--and every writer should write one. So that's what I want from you over the next 2-4 weeks. Allegory.

Your allegory may be as explicit or metaphorical as you wish. You can name your protagonist Gud and your antagonist Eevull, or Zuzu and Ladeeda, I care not.

What I suggest you do is write a wholly allegorical short story. But as usual I will give you freedom; if you prefer, make it an allegorical element in an epic chapter or what have you.

Prompt:

To inspire your story this week, I offer these words:

"The rain fell . . ."

Play off these words in any way you want to start your story.

Ameliorate Your Privy Lexis:

cogent adj. appealing to the intellectual powers of reasoning; convincing

rapprochement n. 1 : a reestablishing of cordial relations

2 : the state of reconciliation of cordial relations

coruscate v. 1 : to give forth flashes of light; sparkle and glitter

2 : to exhibit sparkling virtuosity

victual n. 1 : an edible food

2 : often victuals, food supplies; provisions

*Sigh*I would like to become part of this club, beyond a doubt. But to put it bluntly, I simply can't. I love to read, write, and think, and I am able to do these things outside of an official club. But... I simply don't have the time to dedicate to BZPower. I'm sorry.I'll just continue writing stories on my own, and getting them out when I can. Good luck to all club members, and have fun!

What if we really want to join but are not sure about whether we have the time? :(
Is that a serious question? If it weren't for the sad face emote at the end, I'd have no idea.Um...I'd recommend you check your schedule, determine whether your priorities will allow you time to participate in the Ambage, and edit your post when you've made a decision. No member is required to show up for every write off, and if you only poke your head in once a month or so, we're not going to remove you from the member list for it. :)-Ced

Thank you for your kind response. :)What I mean is, I've just started senior year and carry a heavy course load in addition to other activities. The pressure is slack right now because we have exams but will pick up after they finish. Presently, I have time, but in future months, I might vanish.

~KH~

wikinuibanner.jpg

I'll take your part

When darkness comes

And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

@ Naina ~ Well, if you have time now, we'd love to have you. =] As Ced said, we won't revoke your membership if you're not active. We do however, simply hope that you are. You can also always ask to have your membership removed if you can be active now but not later. Anyway, apologies to everyone for neglecting this...the day I posted it I woke up with a bad fever (always seems to happen at a bad time...), so haven't been online much since then. I have, however, now edited the main post with the members. Please let me know if I forgot to add you!Also, take note that I have added the Community section -- feel free to use this topic for writing discussion. I really do want this to be a community of writers. On that note, the write offs will be starting next Saturday, July 7th at 8PM EST. I've been busy today and won't be on tomorrow at that time -- this will also give people a chance to add me on Skype (VeloxScriptor). On that note, you should probably add 55555 (johntothefifth) and Cederak (Cederak) as well. If you can't download skype, check my previous post for how to counter that. Hopefully that'll work for everyone. Feel free to give any suggestions for the club as well. newso1.png

Well! I guess the honor of being the first to submit a story is mine!The Rain: Qualifies for the objective and the prompt, but not the lexis.In time I may implement an official submission form, but for now, I'm not seeing it as necessary.And on another note, for those who are a little uncertain, feel free to take a look at my story. It's short (somewhere around 500 words), so it won't take long to read. It's a good example of how loosely a challenge can be interpreted. Though I took the prompt very literally, which is not necessary, the story itself was more metaphorical than allegorical. Technically these are two different things, but they're similar, and I'm not going to discriminate against blurring the lines between them.

Edited by Nuile: The Daft Wordbender

If one enters the LSO Epics competition, can he enter a chapter he writes for the contest in this Ambage theme?
This goes for the LSO, and for all short story or epic competitions, whether official or otherwise: Yes. Any contest entry may be entered here as well, given that it meets the objective, the prompt, or at least one of the vocabulary words. Moreover, to clarify, if you write a short story or epic chapter contains the word victual and nothing else pertaining to the challenge, it qualifies, though only for that one point. :P

Yeah, there's a limit. Six. :P So you could submit one story for the objective, one for the prompt, and one for each vocabulary word, if you wanted to; provided that you state clearly what each qualifies for. But note that you can't qualify for a given criterion of a challenge more than once.

Yep, both of those count. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to receive an achievement until you use all the vocab words (see here, as there is not one for just using one or two words). So once you use all four just post all four of them together so that I know and you'll receive your points/achievement.On that note, I'm sorry I haven't handed out any points/achievements yet -- I was sick, on vacation, and now I'm going to be gone until Monday again. Once I'm back, however, I'll get those all sorted out. Just remember to keep that list of achievements in mind (and actually, it'd be helpful if you stated which achievement you get) in order to receive points. =] newso1.png

I apologise for not replying earlier - life's been rather chaotic thanks to senior year and all. :(I'm afraid that now that school's started, I won't be able to participate at all. (Every teacher seems to think that his/her subject is the only one you study.) Thanks for your kind response. I wish I could join but it doesn't seem possible. Sorry.Also, I'm pretty sure that if I did join, I'd wind up having arguments with certain members and quitting in five minutes flat. :P

Edited by Naina

~KH~

wikinuibanner.jpg

I'll take your part

When darkness comes

And pain is all around

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

Apologies on the delay on this, everyone. I will also get all the points sorted out shortly (this summer's been a lot busier than I had thought...). Anyway, here is the second challenge. In two weeks I will post the third, but you will still have another two weeks after that to complete this one (total of four weeks). You also will have two more weeks to complete the first challenge.

Challenge #2

Your Challenge: Vocabulary Definition

Today I want you to start with a word. One word; be it one of the lexis words or one of your own choice, one word. And I want you to incorporate that, in a substantial, pertinent manner, in your story. You can use it as the title, as a theme, or as your protagonist's favorite word. Be creative!

Story Starters:

This time, I'm giving you something different:

220px-Paul_C%C3%A9zanne_222.jpg

(click for full size)

Use this to inspire your story; or not. It is as you choose.

Ameliorate Your Privy Lexis:

myrmidon n. follower; minion

lugubrious adj. mournful; doleful

autotomy n. the spontaneous casting off of a limb or other body part, such as the tail of certain lizards, when the organism is injured or under attack

chrematistic adj. pertaining to acquisition of monetary wealth; moneymaking

newso1.png

• 2 weeks later...
I got a story in for Challenge #2. My word was "Witness" and can be found in the link. =D I think I get like, two million points for that.
Two million points? If only, right? :P You reminded me of something that needs to be addressed.To all Ambage Members: Please refer to the achievement list in the initial post to find your current achievement score. Once you've found the achievements you have completed, paste them and their point total into the earliest post you've made here in the Ambage topic. If you have not yet posted in the Ambage topic, you are free to do so for the purpose of displaying your achievements and points. Do not make a post if you already have one above.