Welcome to KanohiJournal Publications Lesovikk's Hiatus Contest! This is a fanon writing contest that focuses on Lesovikk's self-imposed exile till 45,000 years after the deaths of his teammates. Read below for more information.
KanohiJournal Publications blog post
NOTICE: The entry period is over The final date of the entry period was 12:00 PM EST on May 10. There will be no more postponements.
(Please note that the header image is out of date. Also, due to coding troubles, this post may lack quotation marks and / or apostrophes; if you notice any missing, please notify me.)
* * *
The Lesovikk's Hiatus contest encompasses Lesovikk's adventures from 100,000 to 55,000 years B.T.R. (Before Teridax's Reign), after the rest of his Toa team was killed by Zyglak. Entrants are invited to write stories based on Lesovikks adventures within a portion of this period of time and are welcome to utilize existing plot elements or create their own.
While Lesovikk's Hiatus was originally planned to be a canon contest, Mr. Greg Farshtey's absence would make it impossible to approve the winning entries. To conclude this contest, KanohiJournal Publications decided to make it canon-complying fanon (or canon-fit).
The entry / editing period starts as of this topic's posting and will remain open till late April or early May (see the notice above).
This contest was approved for hosting in BZPower's Storyline & Theories forum by Bonesiii. Legolover-361 is host, and Tyler Durden is assistant host.
Polling and Judging
After the entry / editing period closes, a round of judging will occur. The entries that are cleared for the final round will be placed into polls, and the rest of the contest will be polled; BZPower members and judges from the previous round will be allowed to vote in the polls.
If you would like to be a judge for the Short Story category, Novella category, or both, please contact Legolover-361 either via PM on BZPower or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Lesovikk's Hiatus Judging Application.
The winning entries will be made into an anthology that will be released by KanohiJournal Publications. As a bonus, you receive bragging rights. (Also, if Mr. Greg Farshtey returns, the winning entries could possibly be considered for canon; however, neither Mr. Farshtey's return nor his ability to review entries are guaranteed.)
You are allowed to submit:
- Up to three (3) short stories (individual, disconnected narratives) from 500 to 5,000 words, OR
- One (1) novelette (a continuous story) from 5,001 to 15,000 words with chapter breaks where appropriate.
- Any signs of continuity in your short story entries will cause your entry to be regarded as a novelette.
- Punctuation (dashes, elipses, etc.) and section breaks (asterisks or other symbols used to separate sections of a narrative) do NOT add to your word count.
Restrictions on your entries are as follows:
- The story must be about Lesovikk's journeys during his hiatus, between the time immediately after his team was killed and 55,000 B.T.R.
- The story must not be about Lesovikk travelling to Mahri Nui. That event occurs long after this contest's time period.
- You are allowed to introduce new characters in your story, but they should be kept to a minimum; remember that this contest is about Lesovikk.
- You are allowed to name characters. However, bear in mind that if Mr. Farshtey returns and your story is approved as canon, names will not be included in the approval.
- You may attribute new characters to the Order of Mata Nui. However, they must be utilized in your story in such a fashion that they do not in any way allow Lesovikk to know of the Order's existence.
- Please use common sense when writing about powers. Entries with over-powered characters will likely be rejected.
- Masks of Life, Creation, Time and Light must not be used.
- The Mask of Dimensional Gates (Olmak) can only be used if Brutaka or the Toa from Jovan's team who once had the mask is featured in the story.
- The Mask of Shadows can only be possessed by Makuta Teridax in the story.
- Immoral masks cannot be used by Toa.
- You cannot introduce new masks.
- You cannot resolve existing storyline details or explain heretofore unexplained canon material.
- Legendary powers cannot be used by any characters. The element of Light can only be utilized by Av-Matoran if they are utilized. The powers of Light and Shadow may be utilized by characters who wield them.
- You cannot introduce new elements and / or powers.
- You must follow the entry process below.
There are two methods of entry:
- Submit via e-mail: Send your entry or entries to email@example.com and they will be placed on KanohiJournal Publications' website. To revise, please send your revisions to the same e-mail address.
- Submit via BZPower: Post your entry in BZPower's Short Stories or Epics forum (short stories in the short story forum, multi-chapter stories in the Epics forum) and link to your entry in this topic using the following form:
Username: [what you want to be called]
Entry: [title of and link to your story go here]
Grammatical and wording revisions are allowed without notification; for any other edits, you must notify Legolover-361 or Tyler Durden via BZPower PM. When in doubt, please notify a contest host.
- Do NOT send your entries to Mr. Greg Farshtey for him to check and approve. Ask friends / judges / contest hosts instead. If you are unsure whether your entry or parts of it conform with canon or have storyline-related questions, post your questions and concerns in this topic. We highly recommend checking BioSector01 before asking any questions.
- Contest assistants will check over your entry primarily for storyline problems. They will approve or reject your entry only based on how well it fits Bionicle's canon; proofreading and quality-checking your entry is not a priority for judges. Please ask friends for constructive criticism instead.
Please read this section thoroughly alongside the rules.
Information on Lesovikk's Hiatus
- Lesovikk met Jovan sometime during his travels, and Jovan coached Lesovikk on fighting styles and ideas before Lesovikk continued his travels.
- Lesovikk fought the Rahi Nui at some point of his travels.
- He freed an island infested with Visorak during this time.
- At some point of his hiatus, Lesovikk explored some of the northernmost southern islands (south of the Southern Continent, in Mata Nui's southern torso and upper legs).
- Lesovikk also fought a wounded Rock Lion at some point of his travels, but was defeated after a long and difficult battle.
Faction Formation Dates
- The Hand of Artakha was disbanded during the same time period Lesovikk's team was killed. As any overlaps in time periods are negligible or non-existent, you may not use the Hand of Artakha in your entry.
- The Order of Mata Nui was formed shortly after the disbanding of the Hand of Artakha. The Order did not spread across the Matoran Universe till about 79,100 years B.T.R. Please see the rules for restrictions on the Order of Mata Nui.
- The Brotherhood of Makuta was formed around the same time as the Order of Mata Nui, and was led by Miserix until Teridax overthrew him at around 79,100 years B.T.R. and began enacting his Plan. There is no clear period of time when the Brotherhood began to be viewed as evil; thus, if you choose to utilize the Brotherhood in your entry, we strongly recommend you avoid portraying the Brotherhood as evil.
- The League of Six Kingdoms was formed 94,000 years B.T.R. They were captured and sent to the Pit about 80,000 years B.T.R.
- The Dark Hunters were formed between 80,000 and 70,000 years B.T.R. Please be sure to check up on which Dark Hunters were active between 80,000 and 55,000 years ago before utilizing them in your story. If in doubt, the best option would be to avoid using that particular Dark Hunter.
- Toa teams formed at various times throughout the Matoran Universe's history. If you are planning to use a Toa in your entry, ensure whether the Toa acted individually or in a team during your entry's time period, or if the Toa was still a Matoran.
- Keep in mind that Lesovikk's hiatus is a self-imposed punishment till Lesovikk believes he has earned retribution. During this hiatus, Lesovikk refuses to call himself a Toa because he believes he is unworthy.
* * *
Edited by Legolover-361, May 19 2013 - 08:04 PM.