Prototypes

Axilus Prime

banner.png

I decided to reboot my comics. All previous history does not exist. New story, new origin. A more serious tone, packed with action and better graphics. Humor is here in more quality and subtlety, less quantity.

Credit to Soran and Leraku for help with this, and to Dark709, Gerlicky, and all other contributors to the Chimoru Omega Kit, along with its three shade variation.

Note: "Coming Next" titles are subject to change pretty much whenever I want.

Part 1: Alduar Nui

Episode 1: Arrival

Episode 2: Explanations

Episode 3: Duel

Episode 4: Alliance

Episode 5: Crashing

Part 2: Keretao Nui

Episode 6: Liberation

Episode 7: Pain

Episode 8: Debriefing

Episode 9: Assault

Episode 10: Horror - Coming Next!

PGS slots are open. Submit your sheet or ask me to make it with a description. It must be in Chimoru Omega Trishade, and can be any species except Matoran (Matoran barely get any focus) or Makuta (too overpowered). Skakdi must be spineless. Custom species that are not overpowered are allowed.

1. Tehurye

2. Sybre

3. Zyke

4. Scythe (<shockwave>)

5. Jalicax (JiMing)

6. Pheonix

7. Kalarezka (Loganto)

8. Damarax (HDXC2000 5.0)

9. Ferronox (Wierdox)

10. Kaitiaki (Terren)

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Alright, this is very, very cool. I can't wait to see what happens next.Yeah, I'm going to miss TNG a bit, and all of his wacky behaivior, and his friends... strange, to see Kaio having to get introduced.But this should be a good reboot.I'm glad to be a character... :) Thanks, Axilus. Although I'd rather call you TNG! :PAnd Kaio is returning! :biggrin:

Edited by Tehurye

It's okay, but the characters are a bit strange - for instance the 'Enemy soldier' things being so bloodthirsty then suddenly screaming and running 'WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' - It doesn't quite seem to fit. I'd suggest you try to figure something out with that. Then there's the 'capsule' scenes, It looks a bit strange, more like an explosion than just a fire from a crashed pod. It's a bit strange, partially due to the sparks being copypasted and the fire is darker inside of it, which messes with the eyes.

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

It's okay, but the characters are a bit strange - for instance the 'Enemy soldier' things being so bloodthirsty then suddenly screaming and running 'WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' - It doesn't quite seem to fit. I'd suggest you try to figure something out with that.
Actually, I view that as part of the humor. :PThat's the point of much humor, actually - something doesn't quite fit.

Alright time for some insight on the comic.The idea of a comic is great, I love it. You don't really think about the prototypes or the failures, you think of the things that were a success. Its really a great concept and I hope to see what comes next as you explore and create more from this concept. There are some things I want to address though, mainly just graphics. The graphics in some cases are really good, but in other cases they just don't look so well. An example of one of the panels with great graphics would be the second panel. The angle works well with the sprites and the perspective is also quite good. I think the main thing you're doing excellent on is perspective. Almost all of the panels so far have had great perspective from characters. While perspective is easy to do, its hard to make it flow so well as you did in this comic which I congratulate on. Unfortunately I can't just shower you with compliments. One of the things about the comic is that you're using photographs or picture backgrounds, which isn't a bad thing. When I see pictures though I feel that the graphics of the comic should be amazing and match the picture quality. Lets take the second panel for example. Although it is the most well done panel in the comic there are some graphical errors. Some of the errors are that the character's are just their regular colors. Normally this wouldn't be much of an issue except in the photo used its obvious that its in dim yellow lighting meaning that the character should at least be darkened (Using the brightness-contrast tool in the 'colours' option in Gimp).Another thing is the shadows. The shadows are plain and simple which I like. Thing is though a shadow isn't a solid color. You should try to lower the opacity (in the layer's window) of the shadow to better fit the image. Remember, theres less of a shadow in less light, so in the second panel for example, the shadow wouldn't be as opaque. Another shadow error I noticed is that in the fifth panel has no shadows. You can tell by the picture that the light is obviously very bright. Because of this brightness the shadow would be much more opaque. Also another thing is that when a character is in the air the shadow would be less opaque as well. There are a few more things I wish to point out to you concerning graphics. When you're picking out pictures for Photo comics be sure that they look similar. You see, the second panel's picture and the fifth panel's picture are entirely different. The lighting is obviously different with the second panel's being a more dim yellow-ish orange while the fifth panel's is a very bright white. This makes it seem like they're two entirely different places. Another thing is when you're rotating sprites. It looks as though you have your interpolation set on none. For this style of comic I recommend switching your interpolation to 'cubic'. It makes the sprites look much more like they were before the rotation with no pixels hanging out. Also I recommend not using just the same angle all the time, if the sprite has a 360 view then take advantage of it, if not then just stick with what you're doing. Even if the body doesn't at least change the mask directions since I'm pretty sure the mask's have some. The sparks/fire from the canister type object crashing looks a little odd. I don't really have any advice for it though. One of the things that irritates me the most out of the comic is the glow effect around the text. I like the text glow effect, but its cropped out on the right and top side of the text. It seems like when you were doing the effect you were on the layer the text was on. Surrounding the text is the text box which interfered with the glow. I recommend in future comics to try to fix that as it is really irritating to look at. If you need any help with graphics of effects just ask me and I'll help you as best as I can. Although there were quite a bit of graphical errors in the comic it was still good. I quite enjoyed it actually and I hope to see more soon. ~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Alright, this is very, very cool. I can't wait to see what happens next.Yeah, I'm going to miss TNG a bit, and all of his wacky behaivior, and his friends... strange, to see Kaio having to get introduced.But this should be a good reboot.I'm glad to be a character... :) Thanks, Axilus. Although I'd rather call you TNG! :PAnd Kaio is returning! :biggrin:
Thanks. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get used to calling me Axilus eventually. XD I had the same problem when having to call Pirok Vorex.Yup. I was gonna use the generic Matoran from the trishade sheet, but I realized Kaio would be a great nod to older comics and bring some familiarity into the story.
It's okay, but the characters are a bit strange - for instance the 'Enemy soldier' things being so bloodthirsty then suddenly screaming and running 'WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE' - It doesn't quite seem to fit. I'd suggest you try to figure something out with that. Then there's the 'capsule' scenes, It looks a bit strange, more like an explosion than just a fire from a crashed pod. It's a bit strange, partially due to the sparks being copypasted and the fire is darker inside of it, which messes with the eyes.
They're meant to be the weakest troops, actually. Cowards. Failures. The standard troops are actually Titan-size and much stronger. The orange ones go for weak targets, but the second something scares them, they run. They follow their missions, but are also not professional. (Going after Kaio, then one of them asks if he can have his mask.)One thing I try to emphasize is the metal content of the Bionicle universe. When metal crashes into something hard enough, or something falls from the sky, it actually will create an explosion, sparks, or a combination of these things. Whenever anyone attacks anyone else, because of this, there will be sparks and explosions.Ah, so that's what was bugging me about the fire. Real fire is supposed to be brighter on the inside and darker on the outside..aargh. Ok, I will fix that in the next comic too.
Alright time for some insight on the comic.The idea of a comic is great, I love it. You don't really think about the prototypes or the failures, you think of the things that were a success. Its really a great concept and I hope to see what comes next as you explore and create more from this concept.There are some things I want to address though, mainly just graphics. The graphics in some cases are really good, but in other cases they just don't look so well. An example of one of the panels with great graphics would be the second panel. The angle works well with the sprites and the perspective is also quite good. I think the main thing you're doing excellent on is perspective. Almost all of the panels so far have had great perspective from characters. While perspective is easy to do, its hard to make it flow so well as you did in this comic which I congratulate on. Unfortunately I can't just shower you with compliments. One of the things about the comic is that you're using photographs or picture backgrounds, which isn't a bad thing. When I see pictures though I feel that the graphics of the comic should be amazing and match the picture quality. Lets take the second panel for example. Although it is the most well done panel in the comic there are some graphical errors. Some of the errors are that the character's are just their regular colors. Normally this wouldn't be much of an issue except in the photo used its obvious that its in dim yellow lighting meaning that the character should at least be darkened (Using the brightness-contrast tool in the 'colours' option in Gimp).Another thing is the shadows. The shadows are plain and simple which I like. Thing is though a shadow isn't a solid color. You should try to lower the opacity (in the layer's window) of the shadow to better fit the image. Remember, theres less of a shadow in less light, so in the second panel for example, the shadow wouldn't be as opaque. Another shadow error I noticed is that in the fifth panel has no shadows. You can tell by the picture that the light is obviously very bright. Because of this brightness the shadow would be much more opaque. Also another thing is that when a character is in the air the shadow would be less opaque as well.There are a few more things I wish to point out to you concerning graphics. When you're picking out pictures for Photo comics be sure that they look similar. You see, the second panel's picture and the fifth panel's picture are entirely different. The lighting is obviously different with the second panel's being a more dim yellow-ish orange while the fifth panel's is a very bright white. This makes it seem like they're two entirely different places. Another thing is when you're rotating sprites. It looks as though you have your interpolation set on none. For this style of comic I recommend switching your interpolation to 'cubic'. It makes the sprites look much more like they were before the rotation with no pixels hanging out. Also I recommend not using just the same angle all the time, if the sprite has a 360 view then take advantage of it, if not then just stick with what you're doing. Even if the body doesn't at least change the mask directions since I'm pretty sure the mask's have some. The sparks/fire from the canister type object crashing looks a little odd. I don't really have any advice for it though. One of the things that irritates me the most out of the comic is the glow effect around the text. I like the text glow effect, but its cropped out on the right and top side of the text. It seems like when you were doing the effect you were on the layer the text was on. Surrounding the text is the text box which interfered with the glow. I recommend in future comics to try to fix that as it is really irritating to look at. If you need any help with graphics of effects just ask me and I'll help you as best as I can. Although there were quite a bit of graphical errors in the comic it was still good. I quite enjoyed it actually and I hope to see more soon.~Soran
Thanks! There's a large story that will be slowly revealed, but I planned out a lot of it with loads of help from Leraku already. Ironic, though, since the name of this series is prototypes, despite the fact that the comics are anything but.The shadows, I see your point on. Believe it or not, I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks, that will absolutely be used when making the next comic.Lighting is very tricky in my opinion. I am not sure how to do that smooth transition from light to dark depending on how the light shines on them. Could you help me?As for the rotation, I wasn't sure which kind worked best for which perspective. Cubic it is, then, until I find something that looks awkward in cubic.I do not have any other angles, sadly.The different colored lights, buildings, and roads between backgrounds are intentional. The city is a dystopia, as the next comic will explain. It's in shambles and eternal darkness, with martial law in constant effect. It's also walled in with steel and powerful defenses, with guards always on the hunt. Also, he ran down another street (In that background, there were two streets he could have taken. He picked the one that sadly ended in a dead end. Then behind them Axilus' capsule landed.)The text box and glow thing, I really have no idea how to fix. Sorry about that. At least the glowy text does make the comic more legible.
Hey! It's Kaio and TNG... er, I mean, Axilus Prime! The comic is off to a great start and I think I'll look forward to the future comics. Also, I like the backgrounds.
Thanks. It's very difficult to find the backgrounds, due to Google being a bit...uncooperative when it comes to the proper keywords.
Neat!Loving the graphics, even though there are a couple inconsistencies (shadows, what), and I'm just getting a pretty good vibe from this. I'd like to see how this'd fare out later.BTW, am I the only one that's had the image load from the BOTTOM?
Yep, shadows and glowing I will fix later, and am experimenting with lighting on the actual characters. Thanks!Oh no, the image loads from the bottom for me too. I can't figure out why. Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Thanks! I tried to keep the intro suspenseful. I've started work on Comic 2, which will reveal about...5% of the planned storyline. XDActually, Skakdi can be used if the arm spines are removed, and the back spines are attached by the sheet maker (NOT me, I have a hard time positioning those perfectly). But it must be trishade. Deal?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The sheer quality of this series is astounding, especially when compared to your previous series. Kaio did not deserve to die!Then again, it wasn't fair for that Makuta to kill his servant either. I'll keep an eye on this series.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Thanks, both of you!@Sybre, yep. This is what happens when you mix serious tone with my kind of comic making.@JiMing, if he did, the Templars wouldn't really be evil, would they? Also, that Templum (that's the term for the little orange guys) would have died at Axilus' hand if he hadn't escaped anyway. XD

Edited by Axilus Prime

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I read comic Two. Wow. Things just got a whole lot darker...Kaio died. That's upsetting any way you try to explain it...Vadamus? Awesomely scary. :P Thank goodness I'm going to be resisting this guy. You just made me hate him even more... :evil: I'm coming for you, Vadamus.Typical evil thing to do, kill your own soldier.This comic isn't going to be too dark, right? I just have a bit of a pet peeve for dark stories... not my kind of thing...

Edited by Tehurye

Thanks! (I feel like I've said that so many times here, but I've had so many great reasons to! And I'm glad about it. :P )Yep. Sniped in the head...he's not coming back. XDYeah, Vadamus is the type to be creepy and shadowy, rarely coming out, but when he does, watch out. He will break your neck while being cordial and cracking a joke about it all at once. And unlike other villains of that type, if you anger him, he will not panic, but simply go on a lethal rampage and kill you to death.Not too dark. That's what the humor is for. I'm aiming for less dark than Gavla's comics, but with good epicness and action, with bits of humor. XD

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Yep. Sniped in the head...he's not coming back. XDYeah, Vadamus is the type to be creepy and shadowy, rarely coming out, but when he does, watch out. He will break your neck while being cordial and cracking a joke about it all at once. And unlike other villains of that type, if you anger him, he will not panic, but simply go on a lethal rampage and kill you to death.Not too dark. That's what the humor is for. I'm aiming for less dark than Gavla's comics, but with good epicness and action, with bits of humor. XD
R.I.P. Kaio. *military salute* :(A casually evil villian. Me likey. :PGood, I just don't like to read things that depress me. I'm on a strictly "No comics that will depress me" diet. :P You know what I mean.

Hmm... The second comic looks allright, albeit a bit strange.For starters, the perspective on the dead soldiers looks strange, as if they were flattened by a steamroller - Which, albeit his size, I doubt Axilus could do. Keep working on that though, you'll get better.Then there's his heated sword. It looks too small on the last panel - more like a 'heated dagger' if anything. You might want to make it fit him by resizing it.

Sisen said:

Let's focus on Snail! Snail is the bombdiggity.

Don't know if anyone has said this yet, but for th first comic, I think the bullets coming from the AR were a bit until-necessary and clunky, but the bullet impacts and blood spatter were a nice counter. I'd recommend using tracers instead, I also loved the brining city scene with the giant blue Templar shooting the red guy in the building.Not sure how I feel about the use of Halo based weapons and the blue guy (elite look alike) and the orange guys (grunt look alikes) anyway, see ya round next comic!

Hmm... The second comic looks allright, albeit a bit strange.For starters, the perspective on the dead soldiers looks strange, as if they were flattened by a steamroller - Which, albeit his size, I doubt Axilus could do. Keep working on that though, you'll get better.Then there's his heated sword. It looks too small on the last panel - more like a 'heated dagger' if anything. You might want to make it fit him by resizing it.
Thanks for the help here, I noticed some of this but didn't know what to do. I needed the perspective tool to make the dead guys look like they were lying flat, but at the same time I didn't want them to look like they were standing straight up. So I ended up with that and tried to reconcile it with shadows. (Didn't work too well.)Ok, I'll make it a bit bigger. I wanted it to be big, but I also didn't want it to be as absurdly oversized as it was in my old comics.
Don't know if anyone has said this yet, but for th first comic, I think the bullets coming from the AR were a bit until-necessary and clunky, but the bullet impacts and blood spatter were a nice counter. I'd recommend using tracers instead, I also loved the brining city scene with the giant blue Templar shooting the red guy in the building.Not sure how I feel about the use of Halo based weapons and the blue guy (elite look alike) and the orange guys (grunt look alikes) anyway, see ya round next comic!
What are tracers? Because the bullets were clunky, but I needed to show that the weapon was an automatic rifle and had a good sweeping shot attack.I actually enjoyed making that panel, it was ridiculous fun and epicness. Thanks!Halo based weapons oddly seem to fit here, but...Karz, I've been caught. Yes, the enemy troops are based on Halo. But then again, it was that or basing them on Stormtroopers, and we all know how that goes.
By the way, the images load from the bottom because these comics are saved in the BMP format. PNG pictures load from the top.
So that's why...I picked BMP because it's the most precise format.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Hmm, very nice, but I still think the use of bullets is just, ugly. When I said tracers, I was thinking more like the bullet streaks, sort of like what they use in Halo with the assault rifle, it's a yellow thing blur, darkend at the tip where the bullet is, it just looks faster, smoother, and more athletically pleasing then those disproportional bullets. Anyway, I'm interested in what's going on here so KUTGW

EPIC fight scene! But who was that guy you were fighting?
Thanks! And Tehurye is correct.
Hmm, very nice, but I still think the use of bullets is just, ugly. When I said tracers, I was thinking more like the bullet streaks, sort of like what they use in Halo with the assault rifle, it's a yellow thing blur, darkend at the tip where the bullet is, it just looks faster, smoother, and more athletically pleasing then those disproportional bullets. Anyway, I'm interested in what's going on here so KUTGW
If you could get me a link to a sprite of that, I will use it immediately.Thanks for the advice and opinion!
I just noticed the "I pity the fool" part :P. Anyways, it looks a bit more of a chase instead of an actual fight. The background in the 4th and 7th panel doesn't really look that good with sprite characters as it looks like they're lying over the edge.
It was a chase which turned into a fight when Vadamus directly ordered Tehurye to kill Axilus. I suppose the perspective tool would have helped in that scenario...

Pk57sNJ.jpg