Matoran Traits & Such -- Lightning?

Lightning Questions  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NOTE: Although this was originally started as a Story Squad project, fan-canonization is not at this time being done due to Greg's situation. So these polls are (for now at least) merely for curiosity's sake -- what are the most popular of the suggestions that were made?Source post compiled by fishers64, suggestions by many BZPers. Quotes of original suggestion posts included there.fishers' summary:

Matoran of Lightning (missing prefix and preferred environment)Prefix: Vo-Matoran, El-Matoran, Am-Matoran, Wa-Matoran, Vo-Matoran, Vol-MatoranPreferred Environment: Electrical conduits, place with a lot of lightning storms
The fanon Expanded Multiverse will likely adopt whatever is chosen in these polls as EM-canon, subject to final call by Swert and myself. (In the case of prefix, the previously established ones, if different, may be considered alternates.) I would also suggest that fans consider treating the winners as "headcanon" to use in fanfics, though ultimately such decisions are up to each fanfic writer.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I voted for Vo-Matoran, and areas prone to lightning storms. Because in areas other than Metru Nui, most matoran were in smaller villages and such (if I recall correctly), so they would most likely congregate around natural formations relating to their element. This effect was demonstrated on the island of Mata-Nui (Ta-Koro is in lake of lava, Ga-Koro is in a bay, Onu-Koro is underground, Etc.)

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I nulled. All of the names sounded silly and none of the powers sounded particularly (I was going to say enlightened, but nobody would forgive me for that pun) inspiring. I remember having an idea at some point, but I can't remember what it was. I'll check the BSS archives, I'm sure it was there.Edit: Wait, Matoran of Lightning have resistance to Lightning as their elemental power anyway =P

Edited by VIII. Axel

Personally, the strongest "against" preference I have is Vo for Lightning, because I prefer it for Sand re: Vorox (even though Sand isn't a canon MU element; it IS a canon Bionicle element). Just wanted to note that. :POther than that I think I'll keep my preferences to myself for now. :lol:

Oh, and just out of curiosity, when you say "electrical conduits", do you mean that Matoran of Lightning would hypothetically live near, like, large wire systems or something?
I voted for Vo-Matoran, and areas prone to lightning storms. Because in areas other than Metru Nui, most matoran were in smaller villages and such (if I recall correctly), so they would most likely congregate around natural formations relating to their element. This effect was demonstrated on the island of Mata-Nui (Ta-Koro is in lake of lava, Ga-Koro is in a bay, Onu-Koro is underground, Etc.)
Just to be clear, we haven't seen enough of much of the rest of the MU to be sure about that, but presumably there would indeed be large wire systems or major machines disguised as factories or the like that are part of the giant robot's systems. Also, Mata Nui Island is probably not the best example as that was simply intended as a camouflage system for the eyes of aliens, not for functions in the body of the giant. A better example might be the original state of Zakaz, which may have had functional minor parts of the giant robot but has since fallen almost entirely into a barren wasteland. In that case you could make an argument either way.And it's always possible the continents have vast mechanical areas we never happened to see.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I would rather them be engineers than people who just hang around lightning. It makes sense that matoran who had a resistance to electricity would end up working on that sort of system, since it likely could be very dangerous.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

I said "areas prone to lightning storms" (though that could definitely be connected to power conduits, since the nature of Mata Nui's body as a universe unto itself could easily mean weather patterns would play a role in his functions) and "other". I've always been partial to the Polynesian name origins of the original Toa, and while I also love the more diverse name origins of other years there was something special about that earlier, simpler naming scheme. I liked the idea of calling them Hi-Matoran from the Maori hiko, but Ui-Matoran from the Maori uira would probably also be an option. Naturally I don't like the idea of borrowing straight from other languages if it could be construed as offensive, but deriving a word from real-world languages wouldn't seem to present any problems if the derivation isn't direct.Personally I've always liked thinking about Matoran traits for the rarer types, but not in those obvious aspects. I prefer thinking about the cultural attributes of Matoran tribes. I get the idea from the Toa of Lightning we've seen in the past that Matoran and Toa of Lightning would typically be spunky, with an optimistic, go-get-em attitude. They wouldn't gravitate toward leadership roles the way Ta-Matoran do but they'd still show a great deal of initiative.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

And it's always possible the continents have vast mechanical areas we never happened to see.
That would actually be really cool... and then we'd get post-apoc post-Cataclysm ruined city sort of locations... I think I might have to go write about that now. :lol:

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I voted for lightning storm prone places. A type of environment like that has always fascinated me.As for the prefix, I voted 'wa-', because it was the least clunky one that did not start with 'v' ('vi-' is for plants in my mind and the elements do have this whole "don't have the same letters at the start" thing going on). In hindsight I should have put 'other', as some of the ones in here sound much better, especially 'za-'.

Edited by High Voltage