Toa Mata Nui

Taipu1

thumbnail.png

^Click for Gallery^

So this was my attempt at trying to make something much higher than my usual standard. This took about three times as long as anything of its size has previously taken, it went through 3 complete Torso and leg designs before I was satisfied. In spite of all that, I still may have run out of steam on the arms, which are probably not up to the standard of the rest of it.

Not a gallery person? Have some deep links:

Hope you all like, C&C always appreciated.

:)

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

The legs are definitely the best part; I really like the smooth shapes and coloring, as well as the knee-guards. Major props to you for those sections. The lower torso and arms also look pretty good. However, the upper torso and neck area are quite weak. For one thing, I don't think having a single exposed axle works at all for a neck. Replacing that section with solid-looking parts is certainly a must for this MOC, I'd say. As for the upper torso, well, the Rurus cover everything, making his arms seem to jut out randomly from the smoothness of the areas functioning as shoulders. It's a bit odd, and probably should be modified so that he actually has some clearly defined shoulder areas. Finally, I don't know why that heartlight is in the sternum area rather than at his throat. It looks odd where it is, and sticking out as much as it does.~B~

Nice work! The legs and torso are excellent. Not sure if I like the emphasis of black over keetorange- feels too dark to be Mata Nui to me- but overall this is very cool. :)
The black and orange was a tricky thing. I wanted a black body with orange armour, I think that's pulled off on the legs, but the torso it ended up the other way round, because I just couldn't find anything good in keetorange for the upper torso, the Rurus fitted the shape quite nicely. Perhaps if the Rurus were Keetorange and the lower torso piece black, that would significantly improve the colour ratios, but I don't believe the Ruru comes in that colour.
I especially like what you did on the legs, undoubtedly the best part of the MOC. But the torso... The torso is ingenious, but it seems slightly... feminine.
The torso does perhaps stick out a little in the top half, but other than that I wouldn't say it was feminine.
It looks great. I like the leg and torso construction. The colors look pretty good too although there's a bit too much black. Also, is there a reason why you don't use real hand pieces?
Unfortunately, the hand pieces that came with my Toa Mata Nui set are pretty worn in terms of ball sockets. One of them is alright, but the other doesn't stay on if you so much as touch it. Plus I'm a fan of the original hands, so I didn't mind the change too much, but I admit the real hands would suit it better.
The legs are definitely the best part; I really like the smooth shapes and coloring, as well as the knee-guards. Major props to you for those sections. The lower torso and arms also look pretty good. However, the upper torso and neck area are quite weak. For one thing, I don't think having a single exposed axle works at all for a neck. Replacing that section with solid-looking parts is certainly a must for this MOC, I'd say. As for the upper torso, well, the Rurus cover everything, making his arms seem to jut out randomly from the smoothness of the areas functioning as shoulders. It's a bit odd, and probably should be modified so that he actually has some clearly defined shoulder areas. Finally, I don't know why that heartlight is in the sternum area rather than at his throat. It looks odd where it is, and sticking out as much as it does.~B~
The heart light position, the Rurus and the kneck size all link together a bit, I spent ages on that. I was cursing Lego the whole time for a lack of a 3.5 length cross axle. It would have been so useful there, a shorter neck would have been better just that little bit. Would widening the neck make it better? As for the heartlight's position, there are squarish indents in the bottom of the Rurus which made room for it, seemed like a fitting place. I can see it's a bit low down though. Moving the heartlight up wouldn't be a problem, the difficulty would be making the square indents not look too gappy, but I'll look into it.Thanks for all the comments guys. :) Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

• 1 year later...