Changes to the Proto System

Black Six

BLUF: Members can no longer see their own 'warning points' or 'warn history.' Members who previously had less-than-neutral Proto now have neutral Proto again.BZPower has had its Proto Energy system for a long time now. Don't ask me how long because while I remember I was on the staff when it came into existence, I've been on the staff for over a decade. Initially is was a completely custom hack, but later on Invision added its own 'warning system' to their software, and we began to piggyback off of that, customizing how it was displayed but using their backend for adding, removing, and keeping track of Proto.When the forums were upgraded last year, they changed the system a bit. Members no longer received a PM when they were warned but instead had to acknowledge a notification. The option was also given to allow members to see their warning point and history, so we decided to turn this on. It resulted in a lot of questions, but it was generally a pretty easy answer.All through this time, there has been a number corresponding with your Proto. Everyone starts at 0. As you received Proto, the number increased, up to 5. As Proto was removed, it decreased down to -5.After our recent upgrade, Invision decided to change that. Your warning points (which corresponds to the number mentioned above) can now only be positive. This has resulted in all members with Proto below the starting point being reset. We have devised a new way of handling the positive and negative Proto, but it's a bit inelegant. Proto can once again be lowered below the neutral level, but there are simply too many accounts for us to go through to change everyone who had previously had their Proto reduced back to that level. Consider it a clean slate. Additionally, because of the inelegant fix, we have removed the ability to view your warning points as it is likely to cause more confusion.If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

If someone can't see his warnings how is he acknowledged of his proto drain/boost and the thing he did good/bad to earn it?

---------------

After you have been given a warning (boost or zap), the quick reply box in all topics (and I believe blogs) will be replaced with a message directing you to an acknowledgement page. Basically, if you try to post or comment, you will be taken to there. On that page, you will see the reason for which you received or lost Proto as written by the staff member who performed the action.

It is true that now you cannot view the message again after you acknowledge the warning, since members are no longer able to access their own warn history. I recommend, when given a warning, taking note of the staff member who performed the action (so that you may contact him or her with questions) and copying the message on the acknowledgement page for your own reference.

Darn. I liked being able to view my proto/warning history. Is the record deleted, or is it still visible to staff? If it hasn't been deleted, it would be nice to have a link in the User CP or something. Wouldn't it be easy enough to change it from saying "Warning Points" to "Proto" though? I know I could do it in JavaScript, but I'd think it would be even easier to just change what it says in the Invision core PHP files.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Darn. I liked being able to view my proto/warning history. Is the record deleted, or is it still visible to staff? If it hasn't been deleted, it would be nice to have a link in the User CP or something. Wouldn't it be easy enough to change it from saying "Warning Points" to "Proto" though? I know I could do it in JavaScript, but I'd think it would be even easier to just change what it says in the Invision core PHP files.

That's not really the issue. I don't know if bossman wants the actual numbers bandied about, but the problem is that we no longer use a nice linear scale of 1-10 or something like that. It goes up, then down, then up, and all over the place. It's confusing to ME and I've had it explained. We're just trying to circumvent some unnecessary confusion. Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

So long as you guys have figured out how to make it work for now, I've got no complaints. ;)But it sure does seem pretty strange to completely change it like that and not also include something that automatically adjusted the scale.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

So long as you guys have figured out how to make it work for now, I've got no complaints. ;)But it sure does seem pretty strange to completely change it like that and not also include something that automatically adjusted the scale.~|ET|~

That's just because Invision seems to like breaking all kinds of stuff lately. >.<Members who previously had negative proto, consider this a Christmas present. ;)-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

That's just because Invision seems to like breaking all kinds of stuff lately. >.<Members who previously had negative proto, consider this a Christmas present. ;)-Gata signoff.png

Yes indeed christmas is the period of hapiness and forgiving after all.

I'm back!

So how will I know if I did something bad and no one tells me. This whole thing is confusing. :???:

--------------------

Verbal warnings are still sent through PMs. If you happen to lose Proto, though, you won't be able to make a post or comment until you view the warning; the reply links will direct you to an acknowledgment page where you will see the reason for which you lost Proto.

Well, I've always had neutral proto, so this doesn't affect me much. Congrats to those with neutral proto again! :)

I really hope I can get my proto increased someday...

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Well, as long as upfront it still looks the same, the change is okay for me!

But as for the proto reset, I don't mind that it changed for those who got a proto reduction or two, but the ones who have had all their proto taken away before I feel that that's a little unfair. Ah well, we can always keep our community bigger.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Well, as long as upfront it still looks the same, the change is okay for me! But as for the proto reset, I don't mind that it changed for those who got a proto reduction or two, but the ones who have had all their proto taken away before I feel that that's a little unfair. Ah well, we can always keep our community bigger.

Frankly, there's not a lot that can be done. The reset was automatically done thanks to the upgrade, and I don't know about you but I don't happen to have a list of the amount of proto every member happened to have beforehand. Unfair or not, it's what happened. Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Well, as long as upfront it still looks the same, the change is okay for me! But as for the proto reset, I don't mind that it changed for those who got a proto reduction or two, but the ones who have had all their proto taken away before I feel that that's a little unfair. Ah well, we can always keep our community bigger.

Frankly, there's not a lot that can be done. The reset was automatically done thanks to the upgrade, and I don't know about you but I don't happen to have a list of the amount of proto every member happened to have beforehand. Unfair or not, it's what happened.

Oh, I knew that there'd be too much work to try and manually set everyone's proto to the way it was before, and so I was just saying that because of that, it's a little unfair that they get to get in more trouble now before being banned.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

If we can't see our warnings, then we will not know how our proto was changed?

So how will I know if I did something bad and no one tells me. This whole thing is confusing. :???:

--------------------Verbal warnings are still sent through PMs. If you happen to lose Proto, though, you won't be able to make a post or comment until you view the warning; the reply links will direct you to an acknowledgment page where you will see the reason for which you lost Proto.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

If we can't see our warnings, then we will not know how our proto was changed?

The same way it's always been: the staff member who changed your PE level will send you a PM, as Windrider stated a few posts up.

ninja'd by Gata

Edited by HAZMAT