Proto squad?

toa electro

If anyone is wondering, the Proto Squad was a group of Bionicle fans, chosen by Lego in 2002, who got rare merchandise and sneak peeks. If I remember rightly, this 'elite' group - some of whom were members on here - caused quite a bit of resentment amongst the rest of the fanbase.

The Squad was forgotten or disbanded by Lego sometime in 2004.

ah ok.

If anyone is wondering, the Proto Squad was a group of Bionicle fans, chosen by Lego in 2002, who got rare merchandise and sneak peeks. If I remember rightly, this 'elite' group - some of whom were members on here - caused quite a bit of resentment amongst the rest of the fanbase.

truly did not know they existed

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

hmm how did they get on the squad? and what did they get?

hmm how did they get on the squad? and what did they get?

All the information would be available if the news pages were currently reachable. Obviously it was all quite a long time ago. All I can remember is that they got to see comic scripts, set prototypes and other treats. There was also a website that had a password only revealed to them, which added to their elitist image. I don't know what was on the site, or if any of it is still around.

I don't recall how the members were chosen, though it was definitely exclusive to America. I don't know if any of the members are still active on here; I'm sure they could tell you far more than I can.

If I am not mistaken, the so-called GPKK (Grey Plastic Krana Kal) were among the items given away to the members of the Proto Squad. They are, however, extremely hard to come by, in fact even more so than VMKK (Vacuum Metal Krana Kal) or WMKK (White Metal Krana Kal). In case that you are not familiar with those collectibles, this photo from Sidorak the Hunter's Brickshelf gallery may be a good image reference.-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could have gotten into the proto squad. They got Gpkk and Vmkk! My two most desired collectables!

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could have gotten into the proto squad. They got Gpkk and Vmkk! My two most desired collectables!

Who doesn't, really?

Good point.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

And most of all is there a proto squad with say other Lego themes ?

Well if there are any similar groups they are most likely not called proto squad since the name most likely came from either the term Protodermis or Proto-piston(Toa Wehnua's tool) but will most likely be called something els if they ever have another similar group.

BZPRPG Characters

Tahmira

Well if there are any similar groups they are most likely not called proto squad since the name most likely came from either the term Protodermis or Proto-piston(Toa Wehnua's tool) but will most likely be called something els if they ever have another similar group.

No, there isn't a Proto-squad style club for anything else lego-related. P.S. the proto-piston belongs to Onewa, not Whenua.

I am one of BZP's Proto-Squad members, and yes, the name presumably comes from Protodermis, as this was right after the Toa became Nuva. The "Proto Squad" was a promotional effort Lego began at the end of 2002, as Kohran said. They held a contest at the where the fans were asked to draw and mail a BIONICLE-related picture. The Proto Squad lasted until the end of 2004, at which point us members just stopped receiving stuff. We got a free Bohrok Kal, a free Toa Metru, as well as posters, comic scripts, mini-disks and of course, the Grey Plastic Krana Kal and Vacuum Metal Krana Kal.

The GPKK and VMKK were created before LEGO decided to make the White Metal and Sterling Silver Krana Kal instead, and so they sent the now-purposeless GPKK and VMKK to the Proto Squad members. I held onto mine for years, before finally selling them to other BZP members for approx $100 each. Figured they were better in the hands of a collector who appreciated them, rather than sitting in a box stashed away on a shelf in my room.

So, no, there isn't any in-Universe "Proto Squad", but I remain proud of my membership... sending pics of the stuff I got was the first of only two times I've ever been on the front page :P

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

I am one of BZP's Proto-Squad members, and yes, the name presumably comes from Protodermis, as this was right after the Toa became Nuva. The "Proto Squad" was a promotional effort Lego began at the end of 2002, as Kohran said. They held a contest at the where the fans were asked to draw and mail a BIONICLE-related picture. The Proto Squad lasted until the end of 2004, at which point us members just stopped receiving stuff. We got a free Bohrok Kal, a free Toa Metru, as well as posters, comic scripts, mini-disks and of course, the Grey Plastic Krana Kal and Vacuum Metal Krana Kal.

So, no, there isn't any in-Universe "Proto Squad", but I remain proud of my membership... sending pics of the stuff I got was the first of only two times I've ever been on the front page :P

- Heir

Ah, a member who was actually in it and can expand on what I've said. I hoped one would show up at some point. Thanks for the information.

Do you have any memory of what you submitted for the contest?

No, there isn't a Proto-squad style club for anything else lego-related. P.S. the proto-piston belongs to Onewa, not Whenua.

Kind of off-topic, but Onewa's Toa tools were Proto-pitons, not Proto-pistons.I doubt there are any other groups similar to the BIONICLE Proto Squad for other themes since as far as I know the whole point of that group was to build hype for the theme, and that doesn't work if the group is so secret nobody's heard of it. :P

@Kohran: I do, actually, as I still have the original among my old art folders! We made a copy and sent that instead. I could've sworn I scanned and uploaded it someplace, but I just tore my image hosting accounts apart and couldn't find it. I can rectify that easily enough, tho. It was an image of the Toa Mata in the Exo-Toa chamber with Tahnok bursting through a door behind them... don't know why, exactly, but I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

• 2 weeks later...