Modalt Custom Masks

Steve the Squid

Introducing a new business in the trade of painted bionicle parts!

8000846077_8a23fee345_n.jpg

First off, I'd like to give massive credit and props to Vaal's Forge and Foundry, he's an amazing artist, and he was what inspired us to start making our own custom painted bionicle masks.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I suppose an introduction is in order. This is a joint business, run by Steve the Squid (Mocpages, Flickr, DeviantArt, Bzp) and Mr. Cod (DeviantArt). Mr. Cod has been painting and modifying Warhammer figures for many years now, and I suggested to him that perhaps he could try out what Vaal was doing, since we both shared and interest in Bionicle. Since Cod doesn't have the street cred (yeah, like I do either) or the experience in the fan community (he's not really into it much), that's where I come in. All transactions, advertisings, postings, payments, correspondances, and shipping goes through me. He just started out painting some masks for fun, and we used Brickfair VA as a test run. Since they were hugely popular there (I know some BZPers can attest to that!), we expanded onto bricklink as a store base, but usually worked out orders through email, which is how it'll continue to be.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What do they look like?Here's some previous examples of masks we've made.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So how do you order? You have two options. You can order previously made masks from our Bricklink Store, and also buy unpainted masks and specify how you want them painted in the comments form. The second option, which I prefer if you're doing a commission, is to email me at modaltmasks@gmail.com. I prefer this, because it's more private that using this thread, and I can get back to you faster.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8582329069_43c1bcc895.jpgHow much are they? It depends on what you want. Here's the general price guide for standard masks and armor:(We also offer discounts on larger orders, so ask us if you'd like to order a bunch of stuff!)

Regular Paint Job: Cover JUST about everything. $7.

Super-Ultra-Epic-Crazy Paint Job: Things like this that are crazy complicated, usually scales. $9.

Cuts/Gouges: Like this. Free, but you must have the paint job with it.

Combination of Two Masks: $10

Armor: $4 for Nuva chestplates, $3 for anything else. Armor means: Hydruka, Other Hydruka, Carapar Armor, Bohrok Shells, Nuva Shoulders, Bohrok Weapons, and Wings. (Wings are 2 for $3, all other armor besides bohrok shells are 2 for $5.) ​

When armor is painted, you must be very conservative with what pin and axle holes you use, as the pins and axles will wear the paint. For example, if you use the top pinhole of hydruka armor on one moc, you will probably have to use the same hole on another moc so it doesn't show wear. Wearing is not 100% bound to happen, but it's a precaution we recommend.

Masks We Don't Have: We just don't have all masks, and for a lot of expensive masks, it doesn't make sense financially for us to have them on hand, like trans-orange kaukaus. So, if you want us to paint something we don't have in our inventory, you have the option of sending us your masks in a bubble mailer, which is just $1.50 through USPS. Return shipping is still required.

Now the orders certainly are not limited to this; up till now, we have only been painting the original 12 masks (mata and turaga), because they are made of a harder plastic as you are surely aware, and the paint is unlikely to wear or chip. We've also painted the armor you see above. We'll be exploring other techniques for protecting the paint on other kinds of parts, but until then, you have to watch how you use the parts, if you choose to get parts that are made of the softer plastic.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8583426068_052b3e604a.jpgPaymentWe accept paypal and mail orders. International orders ARE accepted, just know that shipping is probably going to be too much. If you have a custom commission that does not involve the aforementioned prices, such as custom-cut parts or a fully-painted figure, email me and we can work out costs. Just to give you an idea of time, most of our commissions have been one-mask orders, and the time it takes to paint a mask varies, but a whole order, from start to shipping, should take no more than two weeks. School and vacations may affect this, but that's just an idea of how long to expect. Combination masks will take longer.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Conventions I'm an avid convention-goer. I attend and display at Brickfair VA every year, and will be attending Brickfair NH 2013. I will be informally selling our custom masks as mocs, i.e. I will not have a stall, but sell them privately at my booth/area. As a promotion, we offer custom masks at a discounted price at conventions to promote sales, so if you are displaying, or can display proof that you are an active builder on any Lego website, you can buy our masks at $2 off! What a bargain!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parting notes: I've been planning on expanding to BZP for a while now, and today's the day! In the past, our work has been received very highly, so I hope the BZP community will welcome us and give us support! Even if you don't wish to buy a mask, I also hope you'll enjoy seeing Cod's work, and some of the mocs I've made for his masks. One final thing; just know that I, Steve the Squid, am not the painter of the masks, but that Mr. Cod is a very good friend of mine, and we have agreed that I will handle everything except the actual paintin. Just try not to refer to me as the painter, it just bugs me a bit :)

resilient_by_mrcod-d5wqgt0.jpg

Edited by Steve the Squid

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

I'm not here to buy right now, sadly. Just here to vouch for the reliability and quality of the store. ;)

(I'd post a picture of the mask I've got, but I can't seem to find it in the store... which makes sense since I've got it, haha.)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Wow, I've been waiting for another one of these shops on BZP for a while now. I remember seeing some of your masks on Brickshelf, but I didn't realize you guys had a store!

So, how much would a Steampunk Akaku (I've got an image I'll upload in a bit) and a shattered glass Bohrok headplate (as in cut like broken glass about halfway, and the rest painted like it's cracked) cost?

EDIT: I'll just email you the rest of the details.

Edited by Click

Wow, I've been waiting for another one of these shops on BZP for a while now. I remember seeing some of your masks on Brickshelf, but I didn't realize you guys had a store!

So, how much would a Steampunk Akaku (I've got an image I'll upload in a bit) and a shattered glass Bohrok headplate (as in cut like broken glass about halfway, and the rest painted like it's cracked) cost?

If the akaku is not a combination, it would be the standard $7, a combination Pakaku would be $10.

I'll see about the bohrok headplate, I think it would be $5.

Ah. Its a shame you guys dont ship to the UK. Is it not possible I could pay for shipping?

If so, is it possible Mr.Cod could make me a pearl gold Hordika chest plate and silver Metru shoulders.

Also, how easy to chip is the paint?

Edited by Commander CeeCee

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Ah. Its a shame you guys dont ship to the UK. Is it not possible I could pay for shipping?

If so, is it possible Mr.Cod could make me a pearl gold Hordika chest plate and silver Metru shoulders.

He did say that you can order from outside the US, though the minimum would be $20.

The paint's okay- I wouldn't play with the mask like a little kid plays with their Lego, it's mostly for display or MOCing with, but it's good quality.

• Upvote 1

but their spirits

He did say that you can order from outside the US, though the minimum would be $20.

The paint's okay- I wouldn't play with the mask like a little kid plays with their Lego, it's mostly for display or MOCing with, but it's good quality.

Y'know what, I changed my mind. If it means we'll be getting more business, who am I to care whether I have to go to the post office instead of shipping at home. International orders are accepted now.

>

Y'know what, I changed my mind. If it means we'll be getting more business, who am I to care whether I have to go to the post office instead of shipping at home. International orders are accepted now.

Great thing you guys decided to accept international order :D

BTW how much would a rusted Ahvokii?

>>

$7

>>

The paint's okay- I wouldn't play with the mask like a little kid plays with their Lego, it's mostly for display or MOCing with, but it's good qu

ality.

$7

Oh okay, thanks :)

Well now, what do we have here? :D

To begin with, I want to give you both a huge "Thank You" for the kind words about me and my work! It's really humbling to see the influence I've had on folks I've never even met before.

I've seen Mr. Cod's customs on DeviantArt already, and Eljay (Mr. Mangosteen!) put me on to this topic. You both have my respect not only for starting your own store, but for having the highest quality work I've ever seen anyone else create. Your freehand brushwork is easily the equal of anything I could do, and everything else you've done ranges from "Very Good" to "Exemplary."

All I can say is, keep up the good work, and Steve, check your inbox- you've got mail ;)

- Heir (aka Vaal)

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Just pointing out this for the sake of the good-looking of the topic: in "Masks we don't have" you said "out inventory"

Leaving that aside, great job with everything.

Is the shipment worldwide?

Understand that with worldwide I mean the end of the world. Where I live. :P (That is, Chile, South America)

Edited by Jungle Predator
  • Upvote 1

-G u u R a h K

Just pointing out this for the sake of the good-looking of the topic: in "Masks we don't have" you said "out inventory"

Leaving that aside, great job with everything.

Is the shipment worldwide?

Understand that with worldwide I mean the end of the world. Where I live. :P (That is, Chile, South America)

Yes, if you're willing to pay somewhat high prices, I can ship worldwide :)

Could you make me 2 custom hero factory helmets?

Do you mean modifications of other parts, or completely new from scratch ones?

And he'll need a description before he knows if it's possible, haha. ;)

but their spirits

I can customize hero factory masks, but it depends on what you want. Some masks are harder to do than others, and mask thinkness can be a problem. Also, I don't have the HF helmets (I mean I might, but I don't want to paint my own parts), so you either have to pay for me to order them, or send them to me.

• Upvote 1

Well what I want is Breakout Nex and Stringer's Mask customized so a brain attack visor can be slid on them. Basically the backs cut open so the visor can clip to the head.

Here are pics for reference

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=98594

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=87817

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11269

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11270

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Well what I want is Breakout Nex and Stringer's Mask customized so a brain attack visor can be slid on them. Basically the backs cut open so the visor can clip to the head.

Here are pics for reference

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=98594

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=87817

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11269

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=11270

I'm not sure if that's possible, because of the thickness of the mask and the shape. The main problem is that I don't have any brain attack heroes for reference. I don't want to go buy some just to see if this will work, but you can send me the two masks, with visors, because I'm pretty sure it is possible to some degree.

Contact me at modaltmasks@gmail.com so we can work this out.

I think it might be easier to modify the helmets so that an axle can extend through the top, then attach the visor to that. Either way, you'd probably have to cut down on the top of the helmets, quite literally.

but their spirits

• 4 months later...

Do you think you could make something like this?

for_template.png

I will pay ... 27$?

it is a tough task (I've ruined many akakus in the process) of making it. it consists of an akaku nuva, a noble komau, and a noble matatu for the mouth.

and make it Lime green! :D

I know it's a toughy, but it would mean the world to me.

and for the tubes to the eyes, you could probably use survoskull tentacles.

Edited by Cloudspark Crowfield

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~