Comic Mask Possible Powers?

I was recently looking through the BS01 Kanohi page and noticed down near the bottom was a link to Other Kanohi, masks that were only shown in the comics that now have powers thanks to mainly Expanded Multiverse, and then canonized by Greg Farshey. But, just above that link on the Kanohi page, there are six pictures of Kanohi shown in the comics that don't have any powers yet. So, I got out my trusty pencils and Sharpie, and threw together some ideas of how those masks might look so we can get a better idea of powers we would like them to have. After we've got a good amount of suggestions, hopefully someone can put these into a poll, and the winners (hopefully, again) will be brought up to Greg by Erebus to be canonized (and probably the second and third choices just to make sure ;))

Note that I didn't really have sufficient detail to really make anything for these two images, so I just skipped them. If anyone really wants to give it a try (or really wants me to do it), we can try it out.

Also note that these masks are by no means the only interpretation of those limited images. Feel free to try your own versions.

So, onto the masks. Since none of them have powers or names yet, I'm just going to call them "Masks A-E," in order of appearance on BS01.

mask-a.pngmask-b.pngmask-c.png

mask-d.pngmask-e.png

I really don't like how D turned out, but there was barely enough detail anyways to make a full mask, so I gave it my best shot. I'm still pretty sure that mask and the Mask of Biomechanics are Skakdi heads, and the Matoran shown in the same comic panel are probably slaves or something, but they're still listed as Masks on BS01, so I'll just go wth it.

So, now for my power suggestions. I'll also keep a record of ther suggestions here:

Mask A:

• Mask of Facial Hair: (anyone else think it looks like it has a moustache and goatee?)
  • Mask of Softening: This power enables a user to modify the flexibility, elasticity, and hardness of a material for a limited amount of time. Example usages are softening the hard ground you are falling onto to make it safe, or changing an iron bar into a heavy whip. Inspired by curved lines everywhere and soft appearance of mask.
  • Mask of Dampening: Dampens extreme light, sound, and energy bursts on contact with user. Inspired by "earmuff"-like circles on the sides.

Mask B:

• Mask of Heat Vision: Allows user to fire beams of heat from the eyepieces of the mask. Inspired by "superhero" look and thin bars, as well as the Rahkshi power. Immoral.
  • Mask of Lightning: Gives user a small control over Lightning. Suggested by Meta-Mind

Mask C:

• Mask of Currents: Allows user to manipulate direction and speed of nearby currents of gas, liquids, energy, etc. Inspired by flowing shape of mask, Neptune crown over eyes, water drop-like mouth, and blue coloring.

Mask D:

• Mask of Acceleration: Allows user to increase the speed of a moving object. Inspired by windswept look and "Need for Speed" crazed grin.
  • Mask of Deception: Allows user to project an illusion that feels, smells, acts, etc. exactly like the real thing as long as a subject believes in it and the user remains focused. Suggested by Omega 12 and Click
  • Mask of Deception Alternate: Makes the user more believable. Suggested by Omega12 and Click

Mask E:

• Mask of Nullification: Lessens force of impact on a user's body. Example usages include jumping from higher places with little injury, punching hard enough to shatter your hand, and dampening collisions. Inspired by helmet-like look.
  • Mask of ___________: Allows user to temporarily (as in like five minutes) use elemental abilities of other elements that they have witnessed. Recharges for a day or so before it can be used again. Inspired by Airbender arrow on top. :D
  • Mask of Afterlife: Borrows energy from the user until they die, and then they live in a Spirit-like form (similar to the Iden) for an equal amount of time. Suggested by Toa Nidhiki05
  • Mask of Vacuum Breathing: Self-explanatory. Suggested by Omega12
  • Mask of Gas Breathing: Self-explanatory, Suggested by Omega12 and Takua Dragonstar7
  • Mask of Time Jump?: Allows a user to jump ahead a few seconds, remaining in the same place to avoid attacks or wait times. May conflict with EM mask. Suggested by Lokisyn

Please let me know if I messed up any links or made typos. I think my keyboard's dying.

Other ideas include EM suggestions without images already, which can be seen here. A list of possible powers from this list can be found in this post.

So, what do you think? Any other ideas?

Edited by Click

This is a good idea. The BSS isn't around now, but who knows? Greg -might- go for something.

Might I humbly suggest fan-submitted EM mask powers as ideas, too? Ones that don't already have shapes, here. That way if Greg turns this down we could at least use them for fanon there. :)

BTW, I never tried zooming in on that image of several Matoran in the caves, but now that I do, I see that there is some detail on those masks we could probably get sketches out of too.

I really don't like how D turned out, but there was barely enough detail anyways to make a full mask, so I gave it my best shot. I'm still pretty sure that mask and the Mask of Biomechanics are Skakdi heads, and the Matoran shown in the same comic panel are probably slaves or something, but they're still listed as Masks on BS01, so I'll just go wth it.

For the record, that scene took place in 2007, after Matoro's sacrifice. They're not Skakdi; they're all Matoran. :) You can see it in this comic:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BS01/Comics/Ignition/SeaofDarkness/Comic11/swf_ignition_11.swf

Notice the the one you're referring to is short, has no Skakdi spine, and also has double-ended tools in each hand just like the Matoran to the left. The one with Biomechanics to the right, we can only see the partial face, admittedly, but given the context there's no reason to think it's a Skakdi (and Greg did of course agree to canonizing it as a mask power). (For the record, only reason we didn't ask for the one in the back to be something is it wasn't as cool as the others IOurO. Your portrayal is much better though. :P Plus, we didn't have a need for more shapes -- if we did we would have used "Mask B" for something, as it's the clearest of the remaining ones.)

Mask of Heat Vision: Allows user to fire beams of heat from the eyepieces of the mask. Inspired by "superhero" look and thin bars, as well as the Rahkshi power.

IMO this would be considered an immoral power, primarily because of what it does to the user's eyes:

Many wielders of Heat Vision, such as the Rahkshi of Heat Vision, Tahu, Hakann, and the Makuta, have their eyesight temporarily hindered after using the power.

From the Heat Vision page. I'd think if pushing things away is enough to be immoral, actually damaging the user's eyes would be at least very questionable, and probably not something Matoran would wear. At the very least, I personally would hope that the best of these shapes gets a better power. :P

The other suggestions sound pretty good. I especially like Currents.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

For Mask E I'd humbly suggest this EM mask power I made:Mask of AfterlifeWhile worn, it takes energy from the user and stores it, and upon death, it uses this energy to allow the user to continue life in spirit form. In this spirit form, the user is able to communicate to living beings, as well as to appear in a ghost-like form. The user cannot use any powers they had, or physically interact with the world, but they are capable of all things the Iden allows, except possessing robots.The time the user is able to spend in spirit form is roughly double the amount of time they wore the mask; when they surpass that point in spirit form, their spirit fades away and dies. The mask is not viewed as taboo/evil by Toa and other 'good' beings.

I think the light color and sleek design of it match that power, plus it is a 'good' version of the canon Mask of Undeath. I think most of the other ideas are good.

-TN05

For me Mask E looks like it has something to do with time, maybe "time jump". You disappear for a few seconds, and suddenly you're back - no time has passed for you. You could evade incomming attacks (though your enemy would know where you'll appear) this way, or hide when someone turns back. Or you can just skip long waiting.

Edited by Lokisyn

For me Mask E looks like it has something to do with time, maybe "time jump". You disappear for a few seconds, and suddenly you're back - no time has passed for you. You could evade incomming attacks (though your enemy would know where you'll appear) this way, or hide when someone turns back. Or you can just skip long waiting.

I'm fairly sure that the EM has this power already, and it already has a shape assigned to it there. It'd be a bit strange having a different shape in canon for the same power. :PHm... for some reason, I feel like Mask B should have something to do with the Electricity, Light, or Plasma elements. Perhaps it could be the standard shape for a Mask of Lightning?

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Yeah, I would also humbly suggest avoiding using EM powers that already have shapes, although that is of no consequence to canon itself. :P If you scroll up to the two posts above the fan-submitted link in my first post, you can see those ones (plus the fan-submitted ones that already have shapes).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ah, bones. You're so humble. :P

This is a good idea. The BSS isn't around now, but who knows? Greg -might- go for something.

Might I humbly suggest fan-submitted EM mask powers as ideas, too? Ones that don't already have shapes, here. That way if Greg turns this down we could at least use them for fanon there. :)

BTW, I never tried zooming in on that image of several Matoran in the caves, but now that I do, I see that there is some detail on those masks we could probably get sketches out of too.

For the record, that scene took place in 2007, after Matoro's sacrifice. They're not Skakdi; they're all Matoran. :) You can see it in this comic:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BS01/Comics/Ignition/SeaofDarkness/Comic11/swf_ignition_11.swf

Notice the the one you're referring to is short, has no Skakdi spine, and also has double-ended tools in each hand just like the Matoran to the left. The one with Biomechanics to the right, we can only see the partial face, admittedly, but given the context there's no reason to think it's a Skakdi (and Greg did of course agree to canonizing it as a mask power). (For the record, only reason we didn't ask for the one in the back to be something is it wasn't as cool as the others IOurO. Your portrayal is much better though. :P Plus, we didn't have a need for more shapes -- if we did we would have used "Mask B" for something, as it's the clearest of the remaining ones.)

>

Mask of Heat Vision: Allows user to fire beams of heat from the eyepieces of the mask. Inspired by "superhero" look and thin bars, as well as the Rahkshi power.

IMO this would be considered an immoral power, primarily because of what it does to the user's eyes:

Many wielders of Heat Vision, such as the Rahkshi of Heat Vision, Tahu, Hakann, and the Makuta, have their eyesight temporarily hindered after using the power.

From the Heat Vision page. I'd think if pushing things away is enough to be immoral, actually damaging the user's eyes would be at least very questionable, and probably not something Matoran would wear. At the very least, I personally would hope that the best of these shapes gets a better power. :P

The other suggestions sound pretty good. I especially like Currents.

I was a bit worried at first this post would be locking the topic as it kind of toes the line on a "post it here" topic, but I'm glad you like it! :D

For the caves, I think I actually attempted to sketch those masks a while back, but I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

And your explanation of the Skakdi makes sense. The dual-wield tools still remind me of maybe Zaktan's weapons, and that crazy grin still puzzles me, but I'll deal with it.

I'll just cancel out Heat Vision then. There's a lot more options for it anyways!

So, I looked through the EM masks, and this is what I got (see link in Bones' post for details):

Mask A

• Mask of Environmental Absorption, with the flowing look.
  • Mask of Shockblasts, because of the speaker-things on the sides and explosion-like mouth area.
  • Mask of Concentration, with the circles around the "mind" area.
  • Mask of Cord Light, with all the lines.
  • Mask of Memory blocking, with the lines curving around the circle in the forehead.
  • Mask of Sense Throwing, with the large ears, and strange eye shape.

Mask B

• Mask of Acid Strength, with the sharp edges and "safety goggles"
  • Mask of Symbiosis, because of the person-like shape with splitting head and reaching arms.
  • Mask of Morale, because of the happy, determined eyes and General beard.
  • Mask of Mind Adaptation, also with the figure and the "open mind"
  • Mask of Strength Distribution, also the figure
  • Mask of Wings, the aforementioned figure appears to have wings.
  • Mask of Shared Life, because of the figure, branching shape, and heart over the eyes.

Mask C

• Mask of Limitation, with the crenalation over the eyes and shield-like mouth
  • Mask of Weather Control, because of the support-like extensions into a cloudlike top.
  • Mask of Slowness, with the extensions and slow flow of the mask.
  • Mask of Shockwaves, with the explosion-like top.
  • Mask of Possible Futures, with the branches everywhere and wide "all seeing eyes"
  • Mask of Perspective, because of branching around mouth and ears, and wide eyes.
  • Mask of Trapping, because of the crenalation and case-like mouth.
  • Mask of Friction, with the growing mouth shape and resisting extrusion on top.
  • Mak of Resistance, with the crenalation and shield-like mouth

Mask D

• Mask of Paralysis, with the evil/frozen grin
  • Mask of Rage, with the grin, sharp, flowing edges, and evil look (not to mention "seeing red" color :P)
  • Mask of Intimidation, pretty much the same as above.
  • Mask of Pain Resistance, because it looks like it's gritting it's teeth and looking tough.

Mask E

• Mask of Extrusion, with all the extruded areas
  • Mask of Willpower, because it just looks determined.
  • Mask of Suffocation, because of the mouthpiece
  • Mask of Matter/Energy Conversion, with the arrow and flow.
  • Mask of Vacuum Survival, because of its Sci-Fi helmet look.

Any other ideas? That took a while.

For mask d I think it looks a bit like a prankster. Perhaps a mask of deception?Mask E is clearly Doom Guy's helmet, perhaps a mask of breathing (in a vacuum or in a place with pollution) or space travel.

I knew Mask E looked like a video game character.

And to expand on Deception, I had a similar idea like that. It might allow a user to project an illusion that feels, smells, acts, etc. exactly like the real thing as long as the subject believes it is real and the user remains focused on it. Alternatively, it could make them more believable.

I'm really impressed this is already catching on! I love the ideas so far, and I'll add those to the lists.

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed sad to let this topic drop into oblivion.That's pretty much my idea of the Mask of Deception, although I just summed it all up.I was also trying out my own ideas of normalified Inika masks, and my version of the Iden began looking very similar to my idea. Maybe it could be the normal Iden?Any other ideas?

Edited by Click