Parallels

Grey Snow

Chapter 1: 50 B.G.C.: “Xalcak!” Toa Veran, Toa of Plasma, leader of the Toa Team, screamed. The figure walked away, out of view thanks to the mountain ridge he stood upon. Veran screamed his name again, but the greatest enemy to threaten the island was gone, and all that was left were his black and white armored grunts, the Strievers. Strievers weren’t too hard to defeat – once defeated, they vanished into a poof of smoke – but they were difficult to fight. They were sleek bodied with a few exceptions of armor, and had sleek, snaking back heads. Their eyes were almost impossible to see, so how they fought was a mystery. They were all armed with a powerful sword in their right hand, and a smaller in their left. Veran, clad in white, orange and gray armor, stood, impatiently watching four of them encircle him. He had rushed ahead of his team. He needed to capture and defeat Xalcak, so he couldn’t afford to waste time. These Strievers were wasting his time. He drew his right leg up. He wore a brace on his leg, designed to amplify his kicking attacks. He slammed his right palm into it and then put his leg back down. Plasma raced around the weapon now, waiting to be unleashed in his strikes. “Come on.” He hissed, leaping forward, delivering a powerful kick to one’s head. It flipped around, vanishing in a poof of smoke. He span around, delivering a kick with his left foot to flip another to the ground for the moment, while dodging over the top of its downed body to avoid one’s slash. He span around, whipping his leg up, parrying the last one’s sword with his brace. He pushed back and delivered a powerful side kick into the Striever, taking it down. He span around, leaping up and delivering a spinning kick to take down one more, before drawing his arms back, focusing Plasma into both of them, and throwing them both forward, melting one of them into smoke as it went down. As the two downed warriors began to rise, Veran turned back to see the rest of his team arriving. One of the grunts leapt forward, ready to plunge its sword into Veran’s back, when another Toa leapt in, punching it in the face with his powerful knuckle weapon. Sigil, Toa of Gravity. He was clad in black, gray and green armor, wielding a weapon that covered his knuckle. He didn’t wear a gauntlet, it was more like a striking device designed to be held and slope over his fist. He didn’t like gauntlet weapons; he felt they restricted him too much. The two nodded to each other. As the two Strievers got up, Veran span, kicking one in the head, using the brace, burning it down, while at the same moment, Sigil threw a punch, his weapon covered in fluctuating Gravity powers, making the creature collapse on itself and vanish into a poof of smoke as well. “Are you wounded?” A Toa in violet and black armor questioned. She rushed towards them, wielding a large spear-like weapon, tipped in a large blade. Atel, Toa of Healing. “No, we’re fine.” Sigil said. Veran was running off. He started to haul himself up the side of the cliff, cursing at how in the way it was. He glanced down, seeing the green and gray armored Seig, rookie Toa of Air, their newest recruit with a basic sword. He saw Clasis, Toa of Magma, clad in red, brown and black armor with his double bladed sword that doubled as an elemental bow. He also saw Rakis, the Toa of Power Scream. She didn’t look like a typical female Toa, but rather looked rough and violent, clad in silver, blue and gray armor with claws. Hark, Toa of Jungle, was in his blue and green, wielding his spear weapon. Finally, he saw the hunched over black and red form of Raiz, Toa of Rahi, with his two arm blades ready. He was a berserker, but effective. He could control himself, but he didn’t; Veran wished he would. As he climbed, he wondered why he didn’t just melt his way through with his Plasma powers. Then he remembered that he hated using his hands with his powers, only really using them to ignite his brace. He cursed at who he was, a kicker. He really wished someone would do something about the mountains, as they were leading to the escape of the greatest enemy the island had; Xalcak. 999 A.G.C.: “Xalcak is gone, so why do his Strievers remain?” Seig hissed. Seig, clad in green and white armor, with bladed wings on his back, as well as a ‘feathered’ sword, looked around at the group of Strievers around him, all of them waiting to strike. “We dealt with your master years ago!” He shouted, standing in the middle of a street. Matoran were busy fleeing. Some of them lay dead from the grunt fighters and their blades. But here, on the island of Princess Ishiza, death may have been better for them, since they were toiling away in a chaotic land of dystopia and forced labor, where the lower class was ignored and forced to work, while the higher class sat in a good position with those in power, such as Ishiza. Seig span around, cutting one down across the chest. He span around, parried another’s blade and kicked it away before spinning and impaling another. His bladed wings spread out, and he created a draft of Air around himself, shooting himself up and flipping around, landing behind the final two Strievers. He threw his left hand forward, unleashing a blast of compressed Air, hurtling them away. The force of the impact destroyed them.Seig shook his head and looked to his right, down the street. There used to be mountains there, mountains that his former leader, Veran, hated with a passion. Seig wondered if Veran would still feel the same way, were he still around. The natural beauty and landscape of the island, while a hindrance in fighting and pursuing Xalcak, was destroyed. It was replaced with tall, towering buildings where Matoran toiled away like slaves for hours on end, working for their oppressors and abusers. The island used to be a peaceful one, with small Matoran settlements dotting forests and plains. There was none of this dystopia; it had been a utopia, to some. “Seig!” Seig turned to watch as Raiz approached. He was no longer a hunched, vicious looking Toa of Rahi, but had brought himself under control. Still clad in red and black armor, he now had sloping claw-like shoulder armor with matching chest armor. He wore a clawed gauntlet over his left hand, and wielded a thick sword in his right. “Strievers.” Seig told him. “Strievers? Xalcak is no more!” Raiz said. “I know. That’s what worries me.” Seig said, “It seems like history repeats…” 50 B.G.C.: “It seems like history repeats.” Hark, Toa of Jungle, said. “What do you mean?” The Toa of Magma, Clasis, questioned as they sat around a fire in the dead of night. The entire team sat there, while Veran attempted to pursue Xalcak through the mountains, and likely failed. He would be returning soon, they all figured. He was a capable enough leader that nobody went after him. “I remember an old story about a warlord on this island...” Hark began. “Warlord? Here?” Rakis stifled her laughter. “Rakis…” Atel said. “Sorry…” Rakis muttered. Atel was always getting after her to be more polite. “Please, forgive my interruption. Go on.” She said to get Atel to quiet down. “Like I was saying, a warlord on this island.” Hark said, “He used the mountains to get away from the enemy forces pursuing him. He figured this island would let him counterattack. He climbed the mountains, and while the enemy was trying to go up after him, they neglected their flanks and were wiped out. The warlord hid his men among the mountain, so they just swooped in and ended it.” “Who was this warlord?” Clasis questioned. Hark shrugged, “Don’t know; I only know the story.” They could hear footsteps. It wasn’t the approach of Veran they were hearing, though. All of the Toa readied themselves, but when they saw two Matoran approaching, they sat back down. “Yuli, Ryza, you two shouldn’t be out here in the wilderness.” Sigil said. Yuli was a Matoran of Weather, clad in gold, black and yellow armor. Ryza was a Matoran of Electricity, clad in red, yellow and black armor. Both of them commonly accompanied the Toa when they traveled, mainly to help them navigate some of the more treacherous areas that they weren’t familiar with, but that Matoran were. Still, they never went this far out on their own, or at this hour. “We were worried about you guys.” Yuli said. Ryza nodded, “You didn’t use us; we figured you had gotten lost.” “We’re fine, as you can see.” Sigil said. “Oh, really?” Ryza questioned, “Where’s Veran, then?” “I’m right here.” He said, walking into the light of the fire. He sat down and shook his head, “I couldn’t follow him. I encountered some more Strievers and fought them. I caught one more glimpse of him, but he stopped me with his powers.” “Powers?” Seig asked eagerly. “Oh, right, you don’t know.” Veran said, “It seems that Xalcak can manipulate the area around him. The terrain and his own body are his weapon. He put his arm out as I got close, and he made a rock rise up and hit me. It dazed me…” They could see wounds across his armor from the ensuing fight. “The Strievers nearly got me that time.” It was his accursed pride. They all knew it, but they never said anything about it. Only Sigil would say it. “Your pride has to go.” He clenched his fists, “Fists are made for fighting; legs for carrying.” “Legs are made for fighting, hands for manipulating.” Veran countered. It was odd to watch them; they were a powerful combination, yet they had exactly opposite views that were in constant conflict. They managed to work through things, somehow, though. Veran looked to the two Matoran, “You two really shouldn’t have come on your own.” Footsteps. The Toa all rose to their feet, drawing weapons, getting ready, making a perimeter with the flames to their backs. “Get behind us!” Veran hissed. “It’s ok!” Yuli said, “Please, it is! These aren’t enemies!” “Who are they then?” Sigil questioned suspiciously. 999 A.G.C.: “With the information from Doppel Nui, brought by one of the workers, you are the fighting force of my island!” Princess Ishiza proclaimed to a group of fifty Matoran, “You, the public policing system, shall hold the peace of this island, unlike your predecessors. You will be a fighting force to keep order on my island, rather than a mercenary force to disrupt it!” The Toa of Weather shook her head as she watched from out a window of one of the tall buildings. She looked to the Toa of Electricity nearby, “Ryza, can you believe this?” Yuli questioned. “No.” Ryza answered, walking and looking out the window, “These guys are pathetic compared to what there used to be.” “Ishiza was a fool, that’s for sure.” Yuli said, “Disbanding the only force besides the Toa who could fight…what was she thinking?” “She likes to remain in control.” Seig said, walking into the room with Raiz. Raiz nodded, “The old force was out of her control; she didn’t like it very much.” “Then she should have put up with it!” Ryza said, “She’s a pathetic ruler.” “You just said exactly what happened.” Seig said, looking out the window, “She wants to remain in control; the old force was out of her control. She has money; they wanted money, more than she’s paying this force. She’s also greedy, so she didn’t give the money out to bend their wills to her. “Ishiza is a typical, greedy ruler afraid of losing power.” Seig said, “And she hates Toa.” He shook his head, “The sooner she goes, the better.” “What are you talking about?” Yuli questioned. “I’m sure a revolt will happen soon enough.” Seig answered, “And maybe the next ruler will actually listen to the will of the people. This island has been controlled by people like Ishiza for too long. Someone who listens to the people is desperately needed.” 50 B.G.C.: “We are the Island Defense.” A Matoran of Earth said, coming into view, wielding a blade and a shield. About seven other Matoran were around him, wielding blades and shields. “We’re a mercenary force. To the highest bidder our services go. Including protection from Strievers.” One Ta-Matoran said, “They paid us to help them get here. Time to pay up.” He held two swords, “Remember, we need our payments to continue to protect these people, or else we’ll go somewhere where they can pay. And then…well, you’ll never have me as leader of this island.” He said cockily, “Someone who will carve this island into a future of prosper.” Review

Edited by Lord Koji

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

Chapter 2: 50 B.G.C.: “You plan on making an island that will be prosperous?” Atel questioned the Ta-Matoran with the two swords. Before he could speak, the Onu-Matoran in charge barked an order, “We have our payment; Sion! Stop talking and come along!” The Ta-Matoran nodded, “Understood.” He muttered, following the Onu-Matoran and the rest of this troop from the Island Defense off. “A Matoran mercenary force…” Veran muttered, shaking his head, “What are things coming to?” “What do you mean?” Seig questioned. “It just seems…useless.” Veran said, “Here we are, a team of eight Toa, and we’re supposed to be protecting the Matoran. But then, they go out and form a group like that. It makes me feel like we aren’t doing our jobs!” “We’re doing our jobs.” Sigil assured Veran, “But part of our job involves tracking down and defeating Xalcak. Until that is done, the Island Defense is a good idea. It helps to keep them safe while we cannot.” “But can they actually be trusted to do their jobs?” Atel questioned, “I mean, they fight for money. What if someone can’t pay?” “Can they fight Strievers?” Hark questioned. “Look, right now, we should rest.” Veran said, “We’ve had a long day, and we have to continue after Xalcak in the morning. Shifts as always. Yuli, Ryza, what are your plans? You’re going back to the village in the morning, I trust?” “We came out here for a reason!” Ryza said, “We’re here to help you guys navigate and find Xalcak!” “That won’t be necessary. You’re only Matoran, and this is our greatest enemy. Please, for your own sakes, leave in the morning.” Veran said. “But…!” Ryza started, but Yuli grabbed her shoulder. “He’s right, you know.” She told her Matoran of Electricity friend. “But…” “No.” Clasis, Toa of Magma, said, “Veran is right. You’re better off being safely away in the village. Go.” “If you were Toa, it would be different, of course.” Rakis, the female Toa of Power Scream said, “Come back then!” She laughed. 999 A.G.C.: “Too bad about Island Defense. That guy, Sion, sounded useful.” Yuli brought up. “Sion? That Ta-Matoran soldier?” Ryza questioned. “Yeah. He sounded like he could be a good leader.” Yuli said. “There’s a difference.” Raiz said. “What difference?” Yuli questioned. “Between sounding like a good leader and being one.” The Toa of Rahi clarified, “You see, I remember him. He was obnoxious, cocky, and always ready to fight. He had good qualities, too, and he was a good fighter, but there’s more to being a leader than that. He had no reservation. He always found attacking and defeating the foe to be the best thing he could do. Even though he was just a soldier every time I met him, he always wanted the money. He was only in it for that. He wouldn’t be much better than our current rulers.” Seig nodded, “I always got that feeling from him, now that you mention it.” There were shouts down below. The Toa glanced out the window, watching as Strievers moved in slowly at the new police force. The way the Strievers moved was offsetting, with a sickening swaying or lurching, constantly. They lifted their blades as they moved in. The police Matoran only had staffs. How would they win, especially as afraid as they were right now? “We have to go.” Seig said, stepping onto the ledge of the window. He pushed out, manipulating the sky around him with his powers of Air, creating enough wind to carry him on his small wings. He shot down, redirecting all of the wind down at the ground. He drew his blade up and slashed one Striever as he skidded to a stop on the ground. It instantly vanished into smoke. Raiz leapt down, unleashing his powers. A large hawk-like Rahi swooped down, landing beneath him, helping his descent. He released his powers of control and leapt off, slashing a Striever on his right with his sword, while one on his left was plunged through by his claw, both vanishing. Ryza and Yuli ran down the building from the inside, getting into the street and rushing out, finding some of the police fighting back, and fighting very well. Some were clearly former Island Defense members, with their levels of skill. Some even defeated their Strievers. Yuli lifted her weapon – a large shield-like weapon with a blade inset along each side, as well as the top and bottom – and Ryza lifted her sword, while preparing to use her arm mounted propeller weapon to store Electricity for a burst release. As they cut down Strievers on all sides, Ryza span around, spinning her propeller. A large burst of Electricity flew through, leveling three of them and wounding four more, which the police quickly overtook. Former Island Defense members. Ishiza watched and clenched her fist. Things weren’t going as well as she had planned. She wanted these police to remove the dependency on the Toa, and yet most of the police could do nothing! The Toa were doing most of the fighting, while only a few members of her police force were actually fighting back, and winning.She knew those were former Island Defense. She cursed. She had disbanded Island Defense for a reason. Anyone still fighting as it would be put to death, she had declared. They had disbanded under her promise of death, and she had allowed them to be recruited into her police. But that they were the most skilled disgusted her. The normal citizens, who were to be the bulk of this wide force, would be useless. They were to maintain order between the classes who would likely revolt at some point, yet these foolish police could do nothing! What happened to the promise they had shown? And what would happen if they ever actually faced against groups of angry Matoran? They would be useless! 50 B.G.C.: Strievers stood in the way of the eight Toa, Yuli and Ryza, whom had refused to leave after some consideration. They were going to lead the Toa through, and that was all they would settle for, after some discussion between each other. “Let’s make this quick.” Veran said, igniting his brace with some Plasma. He ran forward and threw a kick into one before spinning and striking another with his brace.Hark unleashed his powers of Jungle, constricting a few of them with snaking vines. While he held them down and killed them, the ones who wouldn’t die were burned to death by Clasis and his Magma powers. The two Matoran were staying back, while Seig and Rakis remained back, using their powers from a distance. They were tasked with defending the Matoran at this point. Raiz leapt onto a Striever, using his clawed feet to tear into its body. As it vanished, he leapt at another, slashing wildly with both of his claw weapons; ripping it apart and making it vanish in smoke. As the battle continued, Sigil and Veran both struck the last one, dispersing it. But as they were about to move on, more appeared, and then screams were heard not too far away in the distance. “There’s a village up there!” Yuli realized. “Protect it! Seig, Rakis!” Sigil shouted back at the two Toa. He leapt forward, punching one repeatedly until it was destroyed. The two Toa nodded, and with the Matoran in tow, ran up the hill, through the trees, and into the small village. Some Matoran were being killed, some were running from the Strievers, which moved quickly towards them, running. Always at a fast pace, these things moved. “I’ll fire from here.” Rakis said. Seig nodded, “I’ll move in, then.” He ran down the slope towards the village, leaping off and slashing at a Striever from behind, cutting it down. As he ran into the village, he could see some more falling in front of him. But when he looked back to Rakis, she was attacking them on another side of the village. “What…?” He muttered. He saw more fall and disperse into smoke. Then he saw the Island Defense, the same squad from the night before, fighting the Strievers. They used spears, impaling these creatures, while some used swords and cut them down. A few used shields, sometimes for defense, sometimes switching and using them as bludgeoning tools.Seig knew it was the entire force. He even saw Sion, parrying against one with one sword, while using his other to slash at another, then reverse, parry and slash the other ways. He was good, but too overconfident. Another blade came at him from behind. Seig threw his hand out, smashing the Striever with a concentrated hurricane from his hand, using his vortex of air to smash it around. “What did you do?” Sion hissed, turning towards him. “Saved you!” Seig shouted at him, slashing one down. “Saved me?” Sion muttered, “I won’t thank you.” “I didn’t think you would.” Seig replied, running off and parrying a blade as it nearly killed an innocent Matoran. He kicked it back, but two Island Defense members came upon it, stabbing it through both sides, killing it. “Stop getting in our way, Toa.” One of them hissed at him. “In your way?” Seig questioned, “I’m a Toa. It’s my job to help the Matoran!” “It was your job.” He countered, “Now it’s our jobs. They pay, we defend them. Stop trying to cut in on our business!” “Your business?” Seig was disgusted, “Do you really think that life and death is a business venture for you lot?” “It is, because we’re skilled enough.” The other one told Seig, “Former Soldaat members. All of us. It’s a business venture to the Soldaat, fighting for money, defending for money. Why not us?” “You’re all in the wrong, here!” Seig shouted, “This is a Toa’s job! A Toa’s duty! And exploiting people, making them pay for defense…you just sicken me!” “If they can defend themselves, then let them.” The second one said, “But oh, wait, they can’t. So what’s the problem with them paying for some protection?” “You’ll bleed this island dry; you know that, don’t you?” Seig demanded, “Then what? When they need help, and are low on funds, you’ll refuse, right?” “No. We’ll kill as many as they can pay us to.” He replied, “Then we’ll leave. We do our jobs, even if we can’t get all the money we want. We just work for that much. Simple as that, rookie Toa. Now, stand aside; you’re interfering.” “We are not to be taken lightly!” Seig shouted, “You do this for greed, we do it for what is right!” Sion slashed one down and rushed over. He stopped in front of the two comrades of his and Seig, “Toa, there are eight of you, and many villages. We do this for a reason other than money.” “Money is only the primary reason.” One said. “You’re not helping.” Sion hissed. “You three!” The commander shouted, “We’re done here!” The Onu-Matoran commander shouted. He headed over and glared at Seig, “Get out of our way, Toa. We do a job here, one that you can’t comprehend.” “I may be a rookie, but I know when the people are being used!” Seig shouted at him. “Are we using the Matoran? Is that what you think? For greed? Money? No. We protect them because you Toa can’t be everywhere.” “And what happens when they run out of money? Then what? Will you protect them out of the kindness of your hearts?” Seig demanded. “That’s their problem, then.” The Onu-Matoran said. More men gathered behind him. He threw his arms out, “As you can see, Toa, we’re very capable. How many wounds do you see on my men right now? How many losses? “Few minor wounds, no losses. Look at how good we are, Toa.” Seig watched as they left. He clenched his fists in anger. He swore that he would never allow people like that to return to the island. He swore to do something about them. 999 A.G.C.: “Island Defense members.” Seig muttered, watching as the group fought through Strievers. He went back to the fight, helping to cut down more of them, alongside his Toa comrades. “What is it, Seig?” Yuli questioned their leader. “They’re Island Defense.” He hissed. “I swore I would never allow these people back. And now, here they are…back in some semblance of their former selves…” He hissed in hate. Review

Chapter 3: 999 A.G.C.: Ishiza’s hate grew as she watched the Island Defense - or rather, former Island Defense – fight through the Strievers, while her other police, who had no background in Island Defense, were losing quickly and pathetically, most being killed by the slow, lumbering Strievers. How was this happening? She had abolished Island Defense because she couldn’t control them. That was a few hundred years ago. Now here they were; back again! They may have been under a different name and organization, but as she lost anyone who wasn’t Island Defense, she realized that the survivors would be only Island Defense. Therefore, Island Defense would be alive again. She cursed them. Cursed the weak, pitiful fools who tried to become police for the island. She cursed them all. What good were they? And what could she do? 50 B.G.C.: “This Island Defense could be a real problem.” Atel said as Seig recounted what he had heard in the village. Veran nodded, “Yes. If they continue to exist here as they do, they could bleed the Matoran citizens out of all of their money; there could be no life left as they know it if this persists. We should deal with it.” “We’re Toa; how do you propose we deal with wily Matoran?” Sigil questioned, “We can’t harm them, that goes against being a Toa!” “Why can’t we?” Rakis questioned, “They have no issues with acting against the natural order of this island. I say we can do what we want to them, as long as it’s for the benefit of the island. That includes harming them.” “Rakis, how could you say something like that?” Hark questioned, leaning against a tree, the firelight flickering across his armor. He had his spear rested between his bent knees, lying against his shoulder and then the tree in turn. He almost looked like a man of wisdom greater than his years, due to the atmosphere. Hark was one of the younger members of the team, with only Seig below him. “If they want to act tough, then why don’t we?” She questioned. “There’s a different between being tough on them and killing them, or even harming them.” Clasis, Toa of Magma, said. “Not much.” She muttered. “I’m with Rakis.” Raiz, the crouched berserker Toa of Rahi said. “Rakis, Raiz, there is no way that we will come to harming these Island Defense members.” Veran said, “That is my order as leader. Now, in the morning we have to set out and find Xalcak, if we can. Rest now; first watch is mine.” The other Toa would settle their differences at another time. They settled down for the night, using the heat of the fire as their comfort in the darkness. Yuli and Ryza also settled down for the night, but couldn’t sleep very well. They saw someone approaching, but recognized the figure as a Matoran, motioning to them. The others, trying to sleep, wouldn’t notice. Veran was looking another way. The two got up and walked away, towards the shadowy Matoran. They followed in silence as the Matoran headed away. As they followed, they realized something. Movement at their side; a Striever. It rushed them, quickly attacking. The Matoran attempted to attack it, but was cut down by the creature’s blade. Another Matoran ran out of the trees nearby and kicked the Striever. He drew his two blades up. Sion ran into battle to protect Yuli and Ryza. 999 A.G.C.: “So, the Island Defense members became the police, for the most part.” Yuli said, “But why would they sell themselves like that? That was completely against their beliefs! They were fighters for money!” Ryza nodded in agreement, “They weren’t even from this island; they just were passing through. I don’t even understand how Ishiza could disband them in the first place…” “Simple; she had the power to keep them from leaving this island in any way.” Raiz said, “She could have had them executed with her well trained personal guardians. They had to submit to her if they wanted to live. I guess they just figured this island would be fine; or they were forced to stay, for whatever reason.” “But why wouldn’t they fight harder?” Ryza questioned. “There were only about thirty to forty of them, right?” Yuli asked, “I don’t think they could have handled a fight against Ishiza’s personal guardians, with how heavily armed they are, how skilled they are.” “I guess you’re right.” Ryza agreed. “Whatever the reason, we have to be wary.” Seig said, “We didn’t trust them very much back then; we can’t trust them now. If they even try to reclaim power by being the only viable police force on this island, then the Matoran are going to be in trouble.” 50 B.G.C.: Sion kicked the Striever multiple times, keeping it at bay. He looked back, “Run!” He hissed to Yuli and Ryza. “Not until we get some answers!” Ryza snapped impatiently, “Who was that Matoran who had us come here? Why did he suddenly get killed? Why were you here? Answer me! Is this a trap of some sort?” “I don’t know any of what you’re talking about.” Sion said, “I was on patrol. I’m a soldier, that’s what I do. Now, go!” He turned back to the Striever, parrying the slashes from both blades. He pushed back and kicked it again before stepping through and stabbing it. It hissed and swung its arm, backhanding Sion, knocking him to the ground. He quickly came back to his feet, not showing any signs of pain. He was a soldier; he was better than that. He drew his blades up and rushed forward, slashing twice quickly, cutting the Striever’s arms. It cried out as it stumbled back, then taking a sword to the chest. Sion dropped the Striever. It reduced into smoke, vanishing upon its death. “Answers.” Ryza hissed. Yuli grabbed her shoulder, “Ryza, we should go. There’s no point to questioning him.” “Yes there is.” Ryza said, “Was this a trap to lure us out here for some reason? What’s going on, Sion?” She demanded. “You remember my name…?” He questioned, then walked towards the corpse. He crouched by the Matoran, looking him over. He rose, “He wasn’t one of ours. He looks like one of the people from the village over there, most likely.” He kicked the body, rolling it over, “He had a knife; he was going to kill you two, it looks like.” Sion sheathed his weapons and crouched, taking the knife up, looking it over. “Or this was all part of an elaborate trap of some sort.” Ryza said skeptically. “What point would there be to that?” Sion questioned, hooking the knife and sheath onto his waist, to use as an additional weapon, “Go back to your camp before I charge you for saving your lives.” Sion said, walking away from them to continue his patrol. “Didn’t he say he would lead this island someday, or something?” Yuli questioned. Ryza nodded, “I think he claimed he would be a good leader and lead us to prosperity. Seems to conflict with what Island Defense is about, don’t you think?” “Yeah, but that’s not it.” Yuli said, “I want to know what his point is. Why does he think this island needs a leader? Or someone to lead us? Aren’t we doing fine as we are?” “Maybe someday he thinks we’ll descend into chaos without one. He’s a soldier, after all. I think he could be raised to think that way.” Ryza said, “Come on…let’s go back to the Toa.” Yuli nodded, “Yeah. We can talk about this later.” “We’re done talking about this.” Ryza said, heading off. 999 A.G.C.: The next day, the four Toa walked through the streets of the city, watching as police walked by on patrol. Some they knew as Island Defense, from the past. Some were recognizable; some they just knew had to be Island Defense, and knew they could only be from the past. “So, about these Strievers…” Yuli said, looking at some slashes in walls from the previous fighting. “What about them?” Raiz questioned. “Well…where did they come from exactly?” Yuli asked. “She raises a good point.” Ryza said, “One we really need to talk about. Have you two been holding out on us? Is Xalcak still alive, or something? Have you just been lying?” “No.” Seig said, “Xalcak is dead. We all saw to that. The Strievers and Slith died with him. And these Strievers being back is a rather new occurrence.” “You think someone else is using them?” Raiz questioned Seig. When the Toa of Air nodded, Raiz added, “I’ve wondered that myself. I also think the same.” “But who could do something like that?” Yuli questioned, “Who would have the power to do what Xalcak could?” “Well, so far we’ve only seen his minions; not any other signs of his powers.” Seig replied. “If it were any more, we would know. Xalcak’s powers weren’t always low key, exactly. Trust me; we’d know.” “Ok.” Yuli said, “But bear with me; why would someone try to learn Xalcak’s powers that allowed him to create the Strievers, but not learn anything else? But granted, the Strievers have just been appearing recently, whoever it is could still be learning.” “We have to hope that that’s not the case.” Seig said. “Why?” Ryza questioned, “The four of us could do it!” Seig and Raiz both stopped walking. They turned to her with anger, with pain and rage in their eyes. Ryza took a step back, just to escape from the looks in their eyes. “How dare you say that?” Seig shouted. “Do you realize what you just said, Ryza?” Raiz demanded. “What…what did I say?” She stuttered. “You think that four of us could defeat another Xalcak? It took eight of us in the past! And three of us didn’t make it out alive!” Seig shouted at her, “You’re a Toa! Don’t take this lightly! Even if it is the past, don’t take things lightly! Do you think you’re better than the others? Than Veran, Sigil, Atel, Hark, Rakis or Clasis? Do you think that the four of us could do it, just because two of us have already? “No! Don’t you dare talk like that, Ryza! Don’t you dare think that the four of us are better than the eight of us were! Ever! Do you understand me?” Ryza was almost trembling in shock at Seig’s words. She clenched her fists and slowly nodded. “What?” Raiz hissed. “I understand.” She muttered. “Good.” Raiz said, grabbing Seig’s shoulder, “Come on; let’s get going. I think they get it.” He nodded back, “If there is another Xalcak, then we can’t handle the problem alone. We need to keep an eye out. If anyone is exhibiting signs of Xalcak’s powers, that we can assume another Xalcak has appeared, or Xalcak is somehow back to the world of life, then we need help. We need help very badly.” The four Toa continued on through the streets. Tall buildings were all around them, cutting off parts of the sky around them, some of the tops keeping out of view with their heights so high. If they could have seen towards the top, they would have seen a figure standing there, watching not only them, but everything else; the entire island that the figure could see. In contrast to the almost decaying, white look of Xalcak, this new figure stood as a lithe, lively figure. Standing in white and blue armor, she watched, looking down at the Toa specifically at this point, having heard them speaking of Xalcak. She had white leg armor, with blue claw-like armor overlaying. She had clawed blue feet, sleek blue armor above her knees to her white chest with some blue. She had a white blade overlying her chest, curling down her front. She had blades running up the tops of her blue arms, which had minimal armor on otherwise. She had white hands which were clutching two blue weapons; one in each hand. They were like her leg armor; curved, with three blades coming out. To conceal her face she wore a blue and silver sleek Kanohi mask. Fangs lined the mouth area, giving her a look of intimidation. She crossed her arms over her chest as she stood on the edge of the roof. She flipped down, her claws digging in as she dropped. As she hand out, horizontal over the streets, she pushed off, vanishing; simply vanishing. Review

Chapter 4: 999 A.G.C.: “My police force is no more!” Ishiza decreed to the gathered police, “Go back to your lives.” She said in disgust, “You are disbanded.” There were shouts of protest from the ranks of the police, but she ignored them. She had four of her heavily armed personal guards standing nearby. Two former police rushed after her as she left, but they were cut down in swift moves from the guards. One group stood separated from the other. The former members of Island Defense stood as one, watching this transpire. They left in silence without commotion. “Where are we going?” Ryza questioned Seig. “We’re going to go to the Dunes of Sorrow.” He replied. “The Dunes?” Yuli asked, “It’s just city now…you know that. Everything is just city now…” “I know.” He replied, “That doesn’t mean we won’t find answers there.” He said. “What answers are you guys looking for?” Ryza questioned, sure that Raiz was in on this, whatever the meaning of it was. “You don’t know much, do you?” Raiz asked. “What’s that supposed to mean?” Ryza demanded. Yuli put her hand on Ryza’s shoulder, “Come on, just take it and be calm.” Ryza put up with it while Seig explained it to them from the lead. “You guys need to brush up on your history; read some records when we get back to the main part of the city. The Dunes are where Xalcak fell.” 50 B.G.C.: “The Dunes of Sorrow?” Hark moaned as the Toa – without their two Matoran companions, who had since returned home – pressed forward. “Yes. The Dunes.” Clasis said, “Why?” “I’m a Toa of Jungle.” Hark said, “Nothing grows in the Dunes; it’s all desert!” Clasis shook his head, “Look, I’ll cover you if anything happens. After all, Magma is good anywhere.” “Stop rubbing it in!” Hark complained. “Would you two be quiet?” Rakis demanded. “Sorry.” Clasis apologized. “But come on! All of you can still use yours powers so efficiently in the Dunes!” He cast a sidelong glance towards the hunched over Toa of Rahi, “Except for maybe Raiz…but I’m sure he’ll find some lizard Rahi or something! Can’t I stay back in the villages? Deal with Island Defense?” “No.” Veran said firmly, “We’re nearly there, anyway.” They all stopped when Veran stopped. They were walking along a path lined with large rocks going through a plain with sparse tree coverage on their sides. They could see a rock wall rising up in the distance, which covered parts of the Dunes, cutting some of them off from society, but not completely trapping the Dunes. “We’re nearly there. Why stop?” Seig asked. “Because of this.” Sigil muttered, throwing his arm to the side, and then pulling it back. Three Strievers flew out towards them, smashing into the ground as he released his Gravity control. “Strievers?” Seig questioned, “But how…?” “I’m that good.” Sigil said, flicking his right wrist as one of them rose. He delivered a powerful punch, causing the Striever to smoke and vanish. Veran span around, wrapping the inside of his left leg around one’s neck, standing firmly on his right leg. He applied continual pressure until the creature vanished. The third one went down swiftly as Raiz leapt forward, running his arm mounted weapons through it, tearing it apart. “That was too easy.” Raiz hissed, “I want more!” “You’ve got more.” Clasis said, drawing up his double sided sword. He threw his arm out towards the trees, firing concentrated bursts of Magma from the two ends. As Strievers raced out, they were cut down, burning to death. He span around, cutting one down that tried to sneak up on him. The Toa began to scatter as they flooded out of the trees towards them. With this many around, it was evident that they were near something important to Xalcak. They began to cut them down however they could. Hark took full advantage of the trees and used them to strangle or impale Strievers with branches while he could. He span around, cutting one down with his double ended spear. He span it around, running the other end behind him to impale the one coming at him. His spear made contact but stopped. “What?” He hissed, spinning around, spinning his weapon overhead, and slashing down, but it stopped. Then he saw it. It was no Striever. It was larger, covered in thick black and white armor. It had clawed feet, thick white armor overlaying black on its legs, with white chest armor with thick black overlay. It had spikes coming from its arms before the elbow, wrapping around to its own back. Short muscular arms were tipped with claws, wielding large blades in each hand that it might take two hands to otherwise wield. It had a snaking neck, albeit short, with a crimson and white head that ran back and ended in a spike, with many spikes sticking out of it along the way. It kicked Hark, knocking him back. He looked up, taking two slashes from the creature, going down. His armor was darkened from the impact marks. Veran leapt into a Striever, smashing his brace into it, taking it down. He span around, “Hark!” He cast his eyes to Sigil, “Cover me!” Sigil smashed his covered fist into one enemy, taking it down. He span around and nodded, “Got it!” Veran ran forward, slapping his brace with his palm. He leapt up, shouting, swinging his leg out at the thing’s neck. Sigil ran in and leapt forward, sliding and throwing a punch covered in Gravity energy. The creature span around, using one sword to block each attack. It slid back from the power surging from the Toa, but it took no damage. “Someone!” Veran shouted as he landed and threw another kick, only for another parry. Rakis grabbed a Striever in her claw and threw it. She ran forward and opened her mouth, unleashing a Power Scream which rippled over the ground, smashing into the creature from behind. As it slid forward, Sigil and Veran drew their weapon covered limbs back and threw another strike, smashing the kick and punch into the creature’s chest at the same point, causing the armor to crack. “Now!” They shouted in unison. Clasis ran up behind them and put his blades out, right above his leader’s shoulders. Magma energy generated into them and shot out, slicing the creature through. It roared as it reduced into smoke as it died. “What was that?” Clasis questioned. “A new toy for Xalcak, I’ll bet.” Veran said, “Now, let’s move!” As the Strievers were finished off, the eight Toa moved on, towards the Dunes of Sorrow, where they were sure that Xalcak would be hiding from them. 999 A.G.C.: “What do you hope to find there anyway?” Yuli asked. “Energy.” Seig replied. “Energy?” “Yeah. I’m hoping that some of Xalcak’s leftover energy is still there and can at least give us an indication of whether someone was siphoning off of it or something. Or if he somehow returned and the energy is altogether gone.” “Are we looking for a corpse?” Ryza asked. “No.” Seig replied, “There was no corpse.” “We utterly destroyed him.” Raiz clarified, “We do know that he died. We destroyed his body in the fight to be sure of that.” “Ah, got it.” Ryza said, having thought they may have done a lethal blow or something and he had just vanished, such as into a dune. As they continued on through the streets, they got the vague idea that someone was watching them. Raiz let out a whistle, summoning a winged Rahi to his side. He got onto the creature’s back and flew up into the sky as they continued. Despite Ryza and Yuli wanting to question it, they didn’t. Raiz looked around the tops of buildings as he flew around, and then saw a figure. He leapt down, landing behind the blue and white armored being who watched the Toa. “Who are you?” He questioned, lowering his sword from his shoulder in preparation. The figure turned to face him. He could tell that she was a woman, but a volatile one, if the blades and fangs were any indication. “You’re Toa Raiz, Toa of Rahi.” She said, “You see, I know you. You don’t know me. I like that. I’m going to keep it that way.” “What?” He questioned, “Just who are you?” “I’m nobody.” She replied, lifting her claw weapons up, “Come and face me, Toa.” He lifted his blade to his shoulder once more, “With pleasure.” He said, running forward. He slid across the rooftop, swinging his weapon down at her. She made no moves to stop him. As his blade touched her, she warped. The blade had reached her left shoulder. Her left shoulder had now dropped down to her waist, with a large ‘V’ gash missing in her side. The other side shot back up to her arm, which was still where it should have been, just connected now by a loose piece of body rising from her hip. She had just warped her body to avoid being struck. “You have Xalcak’s power!” Raiz hissed in shock. “I do.” She replied, taking a step back. Her arm reset into the proper location. She drew her blades up and ran forward, slashing him three times with each weapon before delivering a kick, throwing him down. He moaned in pain and rolled over. He came up to his feet, remaining crouched. He drew his left claw up and ran forward, spinning his sword so it was pointdown. He slammed the weapon into the ground and vaulted it, slashing at her with his claw. She lifted her claw weapon to parry. She slashed it out, throwing his arm aside, and then followed up with a knee to knock him back. He shook his head and shouted, taking a wild swing with his right fist, and then an uppercut with his left claw. She dodged both by just dodging her head to the side. She rammed her knee into him, knocking him back, and then the other knee, again, knocking him back. She backhanded him with one of her claw weapons, sending him staggering aside. He shouted and plunged his claw forward, but she fell back, bending her knees and leaving her body running parallel with the rooftop in a very skilful and possibly nearly impossible dodge. He drew his arm back and plunged it down. She plowed her claw weapons into the rooftop and quickly performed a flip, twisting around so that she was now facing Raiz. She had been fast enough to avoid his claw coming down at her. “Just what are you?” He shouted, whistling. The large avian Rahi returned and flew down, talons ready. She cast her arm to the side, causing the rooftop to warp, sending a spike up to impale the bird. As she glanced to her side, Raiz was upon her, sending his claw in for the kill. “Too easy.” She muttered. The rooftop warped again, sending a small burst of its composition up, just directing his claw in the air now, instead of straight. She whipped around, delivering a powerful kick to his side, knocking him towards the edge of the roof. She walked towards him, “Toa Raiz. Toa of Rahi. I expected you to put up a better fight. But then again, you didn’t put up a very good one against Xalcak.” “What’s that?” He shouted, coming to his feet. He swayed. He ran forward, shouting. She flicked her arm out, sending another spike to rise. He leapt over it with an impossibly powerful and high jump. He landed over her, his legs almost shot from throwing that much into his muscles. He slid, grabbed his sword, and ran forward at her back. He drew his pointdown blade to his side and screamed, swinging it forward at her spine. She span around, deflecting it with one claw, and using her other to stop his claw. She rammed a knee into him, sending him staggering back, and then span around, backhanding him towards the ledge. This time he fell. She walked towards it and looked down. She watched him fall, and then waved her hand out, sending a pillar made of the composition of the building out of the side, smashing it into him, throwing him even faster down, and in much more pain now. “That’ll kill him.” She said, walking away. The spike morphed around the avian Rahi, absorbing it, and then settling back into the building as it was before. She walked to the ledge, finding the others out of sight. So she leapt, hovering off after them. Review

Chapter 5: 50 B.G.C.: “We’re splitting up.” Veran said, looking out from atop the rock wall into the Dunes of Sorrow. “Why?” Seig asked, “I mean, we can cover more ground, but…” “We’re not covering more ground this way.” Sigil told the rookie, “This is so that Xalcak will be more likely to make an appearance.” “I don’t follow.” Seig admitted. “Let me tell the rookie.” Rakis said, looking at him, “He’s more likely to attack a small group; that’s how he seems to work. He won’t take on our entire team, so he’ll attack little by little. Got that?” “Yeah, I do.” He replied. Veran spoke up, “Atel, Clasis, you’re with me.” Sigil pointed, “Raiz. You and I.” “That leaves us.” Hark told Rakis and Seig, “Interesting.” “What’s so interesting about it?” Rakis hissed as they split up. “Well, my powers are useless here, so I have…you know what, I wasn’t going anywhere with that.” “Stop talking you bumbling fool.” Rakis muttered. “What did you just call me?” Hark demanded, hefting his spear up. “Stop you two!” Seig snapped at them. “She started it!” Hark accused, “Wait, that makes me sound like a man younger than myself. And wait! You’re the rookie!” “I know. But I’m the only sane man on this trio of ours, it seems.” Seig pointed out. “I’m the oldest of the three of us, I’ve been a Toa the longest. I’ve been on the team the longest.” Rakis said, “I’ll give orders. I order silence. Got that?” “Yeah.” Seig said. “I said silence.” She hissed. Hark nodded. “See? He gets it.” “You’re breaking your own rule.” Seig told her. “What?” “Could we just abolish this? We’re not getting anywhere.” Hark pointed out. “Fine.” The others said at the same time. They continued to walk through the vast, empty desert. It was called the Dunes of Despair for a reason; the dunes towered high in every direction. There was no practical sense of direction, either. It was incredibly hard to climb up a dune, which was the only way to navigate. Otherwise, unless someone could get up to navigate, everyone was stuck walking in the paths that were there between two dunes, just wandering seemingly aimlessly. They didn’t know where they were going, or where the others were. Seig could always float himself up with Air, but he didn’t. They just continued to walk, hoping to find some sign of Xalcak. “I can see why he might be hiding here.” Hark said, “You can’t find anything here! It’s the perfect hiding place.” “But how does he find his way around?” Seig questioned Hark. “He can warp locations and composition.” Rakis said, “Didn’t you get briefed? We know he can do that, so you should have been told at some point.” “No, I was never told about that.” Seig told her. “Well, he can do that. He could warp these dunes as he saw fit. Effectively, he could trap us here by making us go in a circle, and we would never know.” She looked down, “Our footprints? He could warp the sand to wash over them every time we go around. He could trap us here and wait for us to die.” “I could escape, though.” Seig said. “Yeah, you and I could escape.” Rakis said. “What about me?” Hark questioned. “If you were alone, you would die.” She told him, “You can’t do anything out here. Now, Seig could float out. I could blast my way out. But you…you would have to form plants out of nothing. Even if you started, you would have to force them to stay alive, with no nutrients for them to draw from. You’d die, Hark.” “Glad I’m with you two, then.” He muttered. They continued to walk, passing through passages between the dunes. After about an hour, they heard some stealthy, sliding sounds. “I don’t like that.” Hark said, readying his spear. “Be ready.” Rakis hissed. Strievers poured over the sides of the dunes, coming down into the narrow path to fight the three Toa. Escape up a dune was no option, as the dunes would swallow them if they tried to climb. That made escape even more difficult. Seig slashed his sword into one, but it parried. He was at the back, covering the way they had just come, with Hark in the middle, taking stabs at both the front and back when he could. Rakis was in front, using her claws to parry the blades of the Strievers and get some blows in. The small path through the dunes was too narrow for the Strievers to attack on the sides; only the front and back. They would be swallowed if they tried to fight on the side of a dune. “Can’t you guys end this faster?” Hark questioned, plunging his spear forward, killing one who fought Rakis. “Fine.” Seig said, slashing his sword from high on down, sending a blade of narrow Air out, cutting them down. Rakis kicked one and opened her mouth, unleashing a Power Scream, blowing them away, doing enough damage to kill them. “Is that better?” She questioned Hark. “Much.” He replied as they pressed forward. 999 A.G.C.: “Raiz, what happened?” Seig questioned. Raiz realized that they were inside of a building. His wounds were still present. He hadn’t been healed. No wonder he was in so much pain right now. He groaned and tried to sit up, but Yuli pressed him down. “No.” She said, “Not until you get healed. A healer is coming.” “I…I fought…” He said, “I don’t know who she was…she had Xalcak’s powers…” “Xalcak’s powers?” Seig asked, “Are you certain?” “She warped the roof we fought on…yeah…I’m sure.” He replied. “I see.” Seig replied, “We don’t need to go to the place that was the Dunes of Sorrow anymore. It’s not Xalcak, and we have a lead on who this was.” “A lead…?” He questioned. “Your memory.” Seig replied, “Once you heal up, we’ll go looking for this person. We need to find her. There’s no doubt that she’s learned Xalcak’s powers and abilities. She might go back to his source, but I doubt it. I’m sure that once started, the powers aren’t needed to finish.” “So, since she already shows some signs of his powers, we can figure that she’ll learn the rest without his remaining power from his death?” Yuli asked. Seig nodded in confirmation, “Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.” “Then what do we do next?” Ryza questioned. “We head back. The attacks from the Strievers have all been in our area. She was in our area, considering where we found your body, Raiz.” He informed the Toa of Rahi of where his body had been, and answered Ryza’s question at the same time, “I think she’s following us. That’s why Strievers have yet to attack any other areas. That’s why she was nearby that you found and fought her.” “So, we just look around here?” Yuli asked. Seig nodded, “Yeah.” “But what do we do when or if we find her?” Yuli questioned him. “We fight.” Ryza said. “But how do we fight someone like that?” Yuli amended her question, “Raiz is the most experienced of all of us, and look what happened to him!” “We’ll be fine.” Seig said, “Strength in numbers, and our Elemental Powers.” The door to the building opened and a Ga-Matoran entered. She crouched down and without a word, began to tend to Raiz’s wounds. “How much will it cost?” Seig asked her. “I’ll let you know when I’m done.” She replied, “Now please, leave this to me and me alone. Leave the room.” “He’s our comrade!” Ryza said, “And how can you charge us? We’ve defended you people!” “Everyone needs money on this island. Including me.” The medic said, “Unfortunately, goodwill doesn’t pay for life.” “It’s fine.” Seig told Ryza, “We’ll be outside.” He told the medic, pulling the other two out the door with him. “I can’t believe this island!” Ryza shouted when they left the building, “I mean, we do so much for the people! We’ve saved them many times! You guys saved them before Yuli and I were Toa! Yet they still charge us. How can they do that?” “It’s natural.” Seig replied, “They need money to live. Even if we keep saving their lives, that only makes sure they live. They need money in order to live the lives we give them by saving them. It’s the natural way of things.” “The natural way was the old way.” Ryza muttered, “Long before Ishiza and her predecessors came into power…” “It’s too bad that Sion never made it to power.” Yuli said. “You still think he could have done a good job?” Ryza questioned. “I do, actually.” Yuli said, “The more I think about the issue, the more I think he would have been good!” Seig skimmed the rooftops, “Just put it aside, you two. I don’t want to listen to this arguing again.” “But it’s true!” Yuli said. “No, it’s not.” Ryza said back. 50 B.G.C.: The Island Defense members walked into the village that Yuli and Ryza lived in. The two came out of their homes, watching the members stroll through, questioning various Matoran about work, trying to get set up. “What’s going on?” Yuli asked one Ta-Matoran whom had just been spoken to. “They want to have us pay them to stay for a week.” He replied, shaking his head, “They say that if anything happens in that time, they’d be here to help us.” “I can’t believe these guys.” Ryza said, “And what would happen if an attack happened somewhere else? We’d lose the money of them staying here as they go off. No doubt they would give the same offer to the place just attacked, and we lose out! These guys are just in it for the money; they wouldn’t do it properly.” “We don’t have enough as it is.” The Ta-Matoran said. “What?” Ryza questioned. “While you two were gone, we gathered together and pooled our resources into one, just to get an estimate. Based on the rates we’ve heard before from the Island Defense, we don’t have enough to pay them to repel an attack, if one would come.” “That’s what the Toa are for.” Ryza said. “They’re not here.” Yuli reminded. The Ta-Matoran nodded, “That’s the problem. There are many villages, only eight Toa, and about thirty or forty of those Island Defense guys. The numbers don’t quite work here.” “I have an idea.” Ryza said. “What?” He asked. “We tell them our money situation, and they leave our village to go to one that can pay. We get the word out faster to lie. Then, when they realize they can’t get paid for their prices, they’ll leave.” “We’ll adjust.” Someone said. Sion walked towards them, his hands on the hilts of his swords at his waist. “What?” Ryza questioned, “You were listening?” “I’m going to rule this island someday and lead it to prosperity.” He said, “I need to know things.” “What did you say about prices?” Yuli asked. “We want our money.” Sion said, “We would drop prices, take what we could get, and leave when that price has run dry, because it would probably cause all of the villages to lose the rest of their money. If not, another drop.” “You lose money, though.” Yuli said. “But we gain the trust of the people, showing them that we would do what we could for them.” He said, “And that would eventually make them trust me enough for when I lead.” Review

Edited by Lord Koji

Chapter 6: 50 B.G.C.: “You still think you’re going to rule this island?” Ryza questioned Sion. The Ta-Matoran nodded, “I do think so. I may not seem like the quality of man that is needed to lead an island into a prosperous age, but I am! I shall lead this island into its’ future! You can count on that!” “Once a mercenary, always one. I’m certain of that.” Ryza challenged. “You’ll see how wrong you are. Just you wait.” Sion said before walking away. 999 A.G.C.: Seig looked around, his eyes skimming everywhere as the four Toa headed back towards the heart of the island city. If their foe was anywhere nearby, he would find her. He needed to take revenge for Raiz’s defeat. He also needed to learn what he could about this woman. About why she had the powers of Xalcak, and how. And what she planned on doing with them. The Toa stopped. Blocking the street were multiple Strievers, lurching forward, moving at their slow, lumbering pace. They completely blocked the street the Toa were on. Behind them was the blue and white armored figure of their foe. “There you are!” Raiz shouted. She grinned, showing the fangs of her Kanohi, “Well now, you survived. I’m surprised.” “Cut the act!” Raiz shouted, “You’re always watching, aren’t you? You knew I survived!” “I did.” She admitted with a shrug, “Well…Strievers, get them!” Her small attack force made its’ way towards the four Toa. Seig lifted his sword and ran forward, the others following the example and racing forward into battle. He cut down the first Striever in one swift move. Yuli ran one through with her blade projecting from her shield. While these two dropped, Ryza leapt over Yuli, rolling off of her back, and running one through with her blade before launching a burst of Electricity at another, stunning it so that Raiz could impale it with ease. As the last of the Strievers were falling, the woman approached them. She lifted her right arm up. Her arm began to ripple, and then stopped. “Watch yourselves!” Seig ordered. As the four Toa looked around, Yuli saw it and shouted the warning. Seig created a buffer of Air, pushing the four Toa away from the building next to them; the wall becoming a fist and shooting out at the group. “You dodged.” The woman said, unimpressed. She expected Seig to be fast with his powers, and for him to be watching for her attacks to come. “Of course.” Seig said, “After Xalcak, I’m always ready to stop one of those attacks.” He nodded to Yuli to thank her for the warning. He lifted his blade towards the woman, “Now, I’m going to cut you down!” He lifted it and slashed, sending a blade of Air rippling forward, ready to cut her in half. “Do you think such a foolish attack can possibly work against someone as powerful as me?” She questioned, walking right for it. She threw her arm out to her side, but nothing seemed to happen. As the blade struck her, her body seemed to ripple. Her body split apart; her anatomy completely shifting, yet not complicating her internal structure, keeping her alive. Her body nearly split in half avoiding the attack, keeping her completely stable and alive at the same time. “She dodged me with a similar attack.” Raiz muttered, “She’s good. We have to hit her hard, fast, and close. And even then she can dodge like that.” “Then what do we do?” Yuli asked, “I could paralyze her.” “That wouldn’t work.” The woman said simply. “Well, since you can hear us, would our plan work?” Ryza demanded. “Hard, fast, and multiple hits in close range?” The woman questioned, shaking her head, “No; nothing works on me. It would be close, but of course I would evade and stop you. You cannot defeat me. You cannot touch me. I am the greatest being this island will ever have known, even superior to the great Xalcak!” “Tell me.” Seig said, “How are you two connected?” “We aren’t.” She answered, “I heard of him, and took it upon myself to learn his powers. That’s all there is to it.” “You would come to this island and fight a battle like this…take lives…all for someone you never knew? All because someone in the past had power?” Raiz demanded, “What kind of witch are you?” “No witch…just a very resourceful woman.” She said. “And what do they call you, you resourceful woman?” Seig questioned. “Shalax.” She hissed. 50 B.G.C.: “No luck?” Veran asked the team. Nobody had had any luck in traversing the Dunes of Sorrow. Nobody had seen any signs of Xalcak. Nobody knew anything more than when they had started, other than this indeed seemed to be the base of their enemy. “Now what do we do?” Hark questioned. “We head back to the villages.” Veran said, “We need to find a better way. Maybe let Xalcak come to us. We can’t get through those blasted Dunes to find him, after all.” “What do you propose we do in the meantime? Just patrol?” Atel asked. “Anything to help keep the Matoran away from those Island Defense.” Sigil put in. Veran nodded, “Yeah. We just patrol and save as many Matoran as we can wherever and whenever attacks come. We limit the need for those Island Defense guys. We can’t have them bleeding the Matoran dry of resources and money. We can’t let the people of this island lose so much!” “Then should we split up? Each of us go to different parts of the island to protect more people?” Clasis asked. “No.” Veran said, “As much as I would like to do that, we can’t. If Xalcak appears, we need to be together, not scattered. As much as we could do scattered…I can’t allow that.” “Then where do we start?” Seig asked, “I mean…do we start wherever Island Defense is and just go to the same places and do the same jobs for free?” “Island Defense…” Veran muttered, “They…I don’t know how stable they are. If we did that, they might turn on us. We don’t want to have to take their lives like that. No. We’ll start at the closest village and just cycle around.” As days went on, as the Toa moved around the island in cycles, helping whoever needed help, doing what they could, especially when both Island Defense and some of Xalcak’s minions were around, they started to notice odd things occurring. There was construction going on at certain points across the island. Buildings – tall buildings – were being built. Streets were being made. The island was beginning to get ready to go from an island of huts and nature into one of larger structures and roads, instead of trails. Whatever the reason for this change, it didn’t really matter. It wasn’t like this would drastically change too much. “Who started this?” Clasis asked a Le-Matoran. The Le-Matoran stopped his work, “One of the Island Defense guys.” “An Island Defense member told you guys to build?” Clasis questioned. The Le-Matoran nodded, “Well, he didn’t tell us to. He told us that we could become a much greater island if we did. If we had a more…proper cityscape. I guess all of the villages are doing this now. He made a lot of sense.” “Who is this guy?” Clasis questioned. “His name is Sion.” The Le-Matoran said, “Now, I have to get back to work.” Clasis nodded and allowed the Matoran to get back to work. Sion was trying to do something, but what? Was he trying to create an island that would suit him, if he tried to forcefully or otherwise claim leadership over the island, like he seemed to be desiring to do? What was his plan? What were the goals he had in mind? Would this help other people, or only himself? The eight Toa met up, standing atop a hill, getting a look out in the distance towards the Dunes of Sorrow. They could see work going on there as well. The wilderness was going and being replaced by streets and buildings. Even the Dunes. Why wasn’t Xalcak trying to stop them from overtaking his home? His supposed base? Or were they wrong? Or had he perhaps moved? Or did he just not care? Regardless, a bridge was going up over the Dunes. Instead of build through, they were building over, no doubt until they could find a way to get around the sand and create proper foundations for streets and buildings. Sand would be tricky, after all. “What do we do?” Atel asked Veran. “This island is changing.” Veran said, “Perhaps for the better. Perhaps not. We can’t really do anything at this point. All we can do is continue to do our job…and have a chat with Sion, if we can find him.” “Let’s move.” Sigil said, “Perhaps at the next village we can find some answers to our questions.” The group moved on, heading towards their next goal. The next innovation beginning for no other reason than that Sion inspired them. What was this soldier trying to do? Was he trying to lead an island that he would shape indirectly, through his influence alone? And how did he have such influence over the people? Whatever was happening, it didn’t seem right. It didn’t seem like something that should be happening. 999 A.G.C.: “So, your name is Shalax.” Raiz said, “Now I know the name of the person to have defeated me. That’s good.” He lifted his sword, “Let’s go again. I will win this time.” “No you won’t.” Shalax said, lifting her claws as she walked towards Seig and Raiz. Yuli and Ryza were behind them, desiring to fight, but keeping back to gauge Shalax’s abilities. They needed to know their enemy if they wanted any chance of victory. Shalax lifted her head to the sky. Seig glanced up, but realized that there was nothing there. He pushed himself off the ground at her, but then something did come from the sky. A fist of moisture slammed down into him, drenching him, sending him slamming into the ground. Raiz leapt at her, shouting. He slashed rapidly, wildly, but she was fast. She evaded every one of his attacks and parried a few with her claws. She kicked him in the stomach, knocking him back, and then span around, backhanding him across the face, sending him sprawling to the ground. Ryza and Yuli leapt forward, charged with electrical pulses. Both threw their weapon arms forward, unleashing the shocks. The power of Electricity and the electrical surges of Weather flew forward, but a quick flick of Shalax’s wrist caused a stone wall to rise to block the attacks. “Weak.” She said, throwing her arm forward. The wall moved forward, smashing into the two Toa, sending them sprawling. Neither got up as the wall sank back into the ground. Shalax walked towards the Toa, looking at their four downed bodies. “Another day.” She said, “Not until I have more of Xalcak’s powers.” She turned and walked, “If I were smart, I’d kill you now…but I have other things to do first. Xalcak, despite not being someone associated with me…he must be pleased before I can do this. I use his powers, after all. He gets a say…and he wants me to learn all there is, I’m sure.” Two days later, Ishiza had finally done it. She stood before a gathered congregation, looking over them all with pride in her eyes, with desires of victory filling her eyes as well. She would win control away from the revolutionaries who may or may not plague her island. It was hard to tell how the revolutions began, and who led them, if anyone, but now she would be in control. “My police force was useless!” She announced, “Minimal training, pathetic training. No will to fight. No experience. Most of the police were like this. They couldn’t defeat Strievers who threatened them! How were they to deal with Matoran uprisings? Could they be swayed? Possibly. You? Never! “I have sent word to Xia for you alone. It has cost me money, so you had best not fail! I know you won’t…you have good records, after all. It is because of you that this island is the way it is today…to an extent. Fail me and die. Survive and do as I have ordered, and you shall keep your job security. You shall keep that equipment and weaponry. You shall continue to be paid for doing what you do best. “Welcome back, Island Defense!” Around forty Matoran stood before her, all of them armed with different silver and/or gray armor, mismatched usually, but armor to protect them. Most wielded the same blaster and bayonet combo weapon, while some used other blaster-type weaponry. All of them were heavily armed, and finally ready to return to the field. Now under order of Princess Ishiza. She finally had them under her control.Review

Chapter 7: 999 A.G.C.: “More of them?” Raiz hissed, four days after having faced Shalax last. Now she had apparently wanted them eliminated, since there were so many Strievers around. He cut down four more, only for more to flood out of alleys and side streets. “This won’t end!” Ryza shouted, unleashing a blast of Electricity down the street. It was over the heads of the Strievers, letting the power sink down and lash at their heads, taking them down. Most often it stunned them; a few were kills. It didn’t matter that much, as long as they were out of the way so she could concentrate on the large numbers elsewhere. Yuli called up her Weather powers, creating gusting winds and flashes of electrical energy that lashed out at some of the Strievers. At the least, the winds were keeping them at bay. Seig was also taking advantage of the winds; using his powers over Air to manipulate the wind into blades, combining his powers with hers. As they continued to fight, with no end in sight, Seig slashed another one down. One came up behind him. He span around, taking a slash to the chest. Sparks flew from his armor due to the steel-on-steel contact. He cried out and stumbled back. A large black gash was now marring his armor at the point of impact. As it came upon him, he realized that the others weren’t close enough to help. He threw his hand forward, punching a hole through the creature’s chest with his Air powers. He took a kick from one of them and stayed down. More of them started to kick and stomp on him, keeping him from using his powers to save himself. A blade was pointed down and came plunging down. Before the blade made contact, it stopped and vanished into smoke. He could hear something. He could see the Strievers around him reducing into smoke as they were killed. But what was killing them? Were his allies helping now? Did they make it to him? “Team Alpha, perimeter!” “Check!” “Team Beta, wedge!” “On it!” “Team Gamma, covering fire!” “Understood!” Seig managed to crawl to his knees as he saw a squad of Matoran approaching. They were of various tribes, all of them wearing extra armor over their normal armor. This armor matched in no way, and often didn’t match the other extra armor that they wore. They all carried firearm weapons of some sort. The bulk of them carried a small blaster with a large piece upon it, likely for energy storage and generation. They all had a small dagger bayonet protruding from under the barrel of the weapon. Others carried other types of weapons, but the small model was the most common. A few carried two weapons, with sleek, spread out patterns along the top. Two, most often; he never saw a Matoran with only one of those weapons. Some carried, as a single weapon, a weapon similar to the common one, but with a rounded plate atop, with an energy cell charging from the top. They wore large packs of energy cells on their backs. Very few held weapons that were large, rounded hubs on the front, with a dual gattling piece sticking out, capable of turning. It required both arms to hold, and was even connected to their chests. If they had all three holding it up, it must have been very heavy, but a powerful weapon, no doubt. Finally, some carried weapons that looked like a Zamor Launcher. These warriors also carried an elongated weapon in their other hand, resting it on their shoulder, holding tight to it. It looked like the top could open. Based on where they were moving, it seemed that they were part of Team Gamma, since they kept distance. Seig noticed that none of them used melee weapons, with the exception of one Matoran. He was using a double sided blade, but that could have been for the sake of accuracy; resting the weapon on top of it. But then again, why use a double sided blade? Or a blade at all? Maybe this soldier was just more familiar with close combat? Seig then saw the man he was sure was in charge. The one who had been ordering the teams into position. He was a Ta-Matoran with a silver chest plate, a small silver piece of armor on his right leg, a longer piece on his left. He had two sleek silver pieces of armor on his left arm, and a longer piece on his right. He wore a sleek red Kanohi mask, with a mechanical eyepiece connected, going around the back of his head, with a crimson sensor at the front. The mechanical sensor was no doubt constantly feeding him battle data and details on the enemies. He carried the standard blaster weapon, but his had a longer bayonet at the end of it. He was the commander. Seig hadn’t known for a fact when looking at him, but looking him over again, there was absolutely no doubt. He led Team Beta in a wedge formation, while Team Alpha spread out, encircling the Strievers, keeping them from escape, keeping them contained in one location. Team Gamma was around the perimeter, but they were openly firing inside. Team Alpha, for the most part, was using their bayonets to keep the Strievers inside and at bay, keeping them from escaping. Team Gamma supported the wedge team; Team Beta. Team Beta opened fire as they moved. The ones with any weapon other than the normal type didn’t fire. However, as more Strievers prepared a counterattack at one of the flanks of Team Beta, a gattling gun user turned and opened fire. Hundreds if not thousand of energy pellets flew in rapid succession as the two ends turned. The Matoran never slid from his spot; he was rooted to the ground, it seemed. He was strong enough not to be moved by the massive weapon. One of them with the weapon with the rounded top slammed his bayonet into a Striever. He span around, slashing another across the chest. He turned slightly to his right and fired, sending a powerful energy spray into the Striever, throwing it back. This weapon seemed to be a shotgun, it seemed. He held his weapon up after firing, pushed his arm up, and send the rounded top back, as if reloading. The commander shouted an order to a soldier who held two of the elongated weapons. He went to a knee, held them both out, and focused. As some rushed him, he started to fire energy spheres about the size of a fist. They smashed into the Strievers, blowing them away. “Behind!” The commander shouted. The man turned, keeping them close to each other as always. He fired again, sending both spheres flying forward. An energy trail connected them as they span. They ensnared a Striever, taking it down. It writhed on the ground as energy was siphoned out of it by the ensnaring attack. Then, it vanished. “It works, Sir!” The gunner reported. The commander nodded, “Good.” He glanced out to the perimeter, “Team Gamma!” The men of Team Gamma who held the Zamor weapons as well as the elongated weapons acted. They all threw the arms with the elongated weapons forward. As the items came out, they snapped open. About seven small spheres flew out from each one, rolling around on the ground among the feet of the Strievers. “Now!” The commander shouted, covering the optical eye with his free hand and shutting his eyes. At least, Seig could see his left closing; he assumed the right was as well, behind the sensor. Everyone covered their eyes; either closed them or covered them with an arm. The Team Gamma members fired their Zamor weapons forward. The spheres of energy that they fired weren’t Zamors, however. They passed through some Strievers, arriving at a central point, and then, widening out to the perimeter. As the energy passed over the small spheres, the spheres erupted into brilliant bursts of blinding light. The Strievers all hissed and cried out in pain as the light burned them. The four Toa were taken back by the intense light. Seig cursed himself for not closing his eyes when he had the chance. The others probably hadn’t even seen anyone protecting themselves, so had no idea of what to expect. As the light faded, the commander opened his eyes and removed his hand from the sensor, “Let’s clean them up!” He ordered, taking to a knee and firing. Soldiers everywhere, in all three teams, opened fire. Strievers fell all around them. Some used their bayonets, but most stuck to their ranged weaponry. However, the gattling gun users didn’t waste time firing, the Zamor users did nothing, and the shotgun users used bayonets only, instead of wasting their energy cells. As the Strievers fell en masse, Seig rushed to the other Toa. They gathered around, adding support fire of Air and Electricity, with Yuli adding some electrical bursts from her Weather powers. “Who are these people?” Seig questioned, “Have you guys heard anything?” He questioned Yuli and Ryza specifically, as they often spent the most time with the Matoran and in the city. “No.” Yuli said, “But…” “What?” Seig questioned. “They seem better than police.” Yuli told him. “That’s obvious.” Ryza said. “I think she means something else.” Raiz stated, “I think she means that these guys just scream Island Defense.” “It’s abolished.” Seig said, “And they were never like this.” “That doesn’t mean anything.” Raiz said, “You know that.” “I know.” He replied, “They can reform; get new armor and equipment. But the problem still stands as it did before; Ishiza.” “Maybe she condones this?” Yuli suggested. “It’s Ishiza; of course she doesn’t.” Ryza said. As the last of the Strievers fell, the Ta-Matoran issued an order, “Team Gamma, patrol. More may be around here. Team Alpha, half of you go with them; the other half remains here with Team Beta.” As the soldiers went off to do his bidding, he headed towards the four Toa, holstering his weapon on his side. “Who are you people?” Ryza questioned. “Acid tongued as always, Ryza.” The Ta-Matoran said. “How do you know my name?” She questioned. “You’re Toa…” “I know that we’re Toa!” She snapped, “But how would an outsider like you know that?” “Outsider?” The Ta-Matoran questioned, shaking his head, “You don’t understand, do you?” “Are you Soldaat?” Raiz questioned. “Formerly.” He replied, “But you already know that.” “Just who are you guys?” Seig questioned. “Island Defense.” “Ishiza disbanded it under penalty of death.” Seig informed him. “I know. She reformed us.” “Why?” “She needed a competent force to keep uprisings in check. She was willing to pay us if we did her will and kept the people in check. We agreed to her deal. Simple as that; Island Defense returned. She even supplied us with this new gear from Xia.” “Ok. Tell me something.” Seig said, “Who are you? Why do you know us?” “Because we’ve met multiple times.” He replied, “Don’t you remember me? It’s Sion, if you forgot. I always said I would be a commander of Island Defense someday; now I am. I am the only commander who serves under the will of Ishiza.” 50 B.G.C.: “Why did you tell the people to build?” Sigil questioned Sion when the two met up. “I wanted this island to reach its’ fullest potential.” “A city is that potential?” “I believe so.” Sion answered, shrugging, “Now, is that all there is to say to me? To question me? Have I answered your questions?” “But why do the people listen to you?” Sigil questioned him. “Because I guess they see that the city is the best for the island.” Sion said, “I don’t know. Maybe they like my ideas. Maybe they want innovation, change, modernization. This island is behind the times, after all.” “What is your ultimate goal?” Sigil demanded. “Ultimate goal?” He questioned, looking Sigil in the eyes, “My ultimate goal is for the people to see how right I am; how good my ideas are. My ultimate goal has always been to lead this island into prosperity. I can see that I’m almost there, can’t you?”Review

Chapter 8: 50 B.G.C.: “Xalcak!” Hark shouted, unleashing his powers of Jungle. Plants of all sorts, with all types of prongs and points, launched out of the ground, all of them heading towards the white clad being who stood as the enemy to the island’s Toa. Xalcak raised his right arm up, never bending the elbow. He never moved his joints. Was that just a trait of his? Something he did to possibly intimidate the Toa? Or was it part of who he was as a being? Unable to move? Hark didn’t know, nor did he care. He just wanted to impale Xalcak and end the battle right then and there. As the plants rushed towards Xalcak, the ground rippled around him. Barriers of stone rose up as he manipulated the area around him as always. The plants tore through, impaling him regardless of his attempts to stop the attack. Hark shot to the side, avoiding a spike appearing where he had been standing. He turned to his left, watching Xalcak approach. “How did you escape?” He shouted, looking at the spot where all of the stone barriers were, where his plants were striking. “You should be dead! How did you get out?” Xalcak was silent, just like always. He lifted his right arm up. His arm rippled as his powers took hold of his own body instead of the surrounding area. His arm became a blade, long and sharp. He walked slowly towards Hark, his blade facing forward. Hark lifted his large double ended spear, ready for a direct duel with Xalcak. He waited as Xalcak took about five more slow steps, and then ran, shouting. He span his spear around, slid forward, and plunged his weapon. “Hark!” Hark opened his eyes, moaning in pain. Atel was crouching above him, obviously having just arrived. She had shouted his name. She had just reached him. Her powers washed over his body, providing him with relief from the stinging pain of the large gash in his armor where he had been impaled. The smaller slashes and cuts across his armor didn’t feel too bad, but it was nice to have them receive treatment as well. “What did you do?” Veran questioned him. “It was Xalcak.” Hark muttered, “I fought him…and I apparently lost.” “You fought him?” Veran questioned quickly, “How long ago? Do you know where he went?” “No. I don’t know anything. I’ve been unconscious! Remember?” Hark snapped. “We need to get him.” Veran said, turning to Seig, “Propel yourself up. Raiz; summon a flying Rahi and scout. We need to find him! Now!” Seig nodded, unleashing his powers around his body. He flew up into the air, looking around, but not seeing anything. Raiz soon joined him, riding a large avian Rahi and flying around in circles, looking, but also finding nothing. “He’s gone!” Seig shouted down. “No!” Veran shouted, shaking his head, “We were close!” “Next time…I’ll get him.” Hark said to Veran, “I won’t let you down next time. I will stop him.” “You did what you could. I don’t blame you for losing.” Veran said, looking at the stone barriers and the vines running through them, “You tried hard, it looks like.” “It’s not like you to say that.” Hark said. “I know.” Veran replied, “Next time…try harder.” He rose to his feet, “Seig! Raiz! Keep up there and search! Rakis, you’re with me! Atel, you stay here and continue healing; Clasis, Sigil, remain with her.” The Toa parted to do what they needed to do. Hark remained on the ground, clenching his fists, grabbing dirt in his hands, tightening his grip as hard as he could, wishing that he could have done more. Wishing that he could do more right now. He swore to do more next time. 999 A.G.C.: Shalax stood, watching as her Strievers and Sliths attacked the four Toa. She stood in the back of her rows of minions instead of atop a building as she usually would. She wanted to be there to deliver the final blow. Her Strievers moved slowly, lumbering around and slashing at the Toa. In the past, when Xalcak controlled them, they were fast. Shalax preferred them to be slow. The Toa weren’t able to put up a very good fight. Strievers were weak beings, but they were very capable in large numbers. The Sliths were even stronger, but took more of a toll on her powers, so she didn’t create as many of them. Only a handful would be needed in order to eliminate the Toa. The only thorn in her side. As Seig led his team through, unleashing blasts of razor sharp Air as often as he could and in many directions, he slowly realized that they were going to lose. There was no conceivable way for them to win this fight. There were too many of her minions, and their powers were going to eventually run out. She could always quickly create more Strievers or use her own powers; they couldn’t recharge that quickly. Ryza lifted her left arm, spinning her propeller weapon. Electricity flew out in small storms, crashing through hordes of Strievers at once, paralyzing them. A straight shot towards Shalax became available. Seig threw his arm forward, sending blasts of razor Air forward, unopposed. No matter what Shalax did, she was going to die. No physical barrier would stop the wind from slaying her. This was her end. Shalax’s body split down the center. Her head was on her left side; her neck intact. Both sides split down to avoid the blast, and then came back up, reforming into one body, no signs of split seen. “What?” Seig shouted. “You may have never known the depths of Xalcak’s powers to manipulate his own body. I will show you what that power can truly do. That is why you can never kill me.” Shalax hissed to Seig. She lifted her hand. A spike erupted from the ground, just missing as Seig rolled forward. He came up, span around, and kicked a Striever aside. He ran forward, cutting two more down before leaping up, propelling himself with his Air powers, and spreading his two wings. He glided through the air, flipping and closing them as he landed behind Shalax. He shouted and span around, slashing out as he rotated. A wall rose behind her, protecting her from the attack. “Fight me!” Seig shouted. “If that is your wish.” She said, dropping the stone barrier. However, when it dropped, she was no longer facing her back to him. She was facing front. She slashed her arm out, catching him across the chest with her claw, sending him stumbling back. He touched the gash in his armor and ran forward, flipping his sword down. He dropped the sword and slid across the ground, lashing his leg out. Shalax leapt over it, landing next to his abandoned sword. She reached for it, but it plunged up at her chest as Seig manipulated the air around it with his Air powers. Shalax split down her chest again to avoid the attack. As she reformed, Seig was upon her, a blade of Air rippling and raging around his right arm. He shouted and slashed down, but her claw found his chest first, taking him down. “I’ll allow a Striever to deal with you.” She hissed, “Unlike last time, I can kill you this time. I’ve learned what I desired to learn.” Strievers approached the downed Seig, ready to eliminate him. The others couldn’t get to him to help him, and he couldn’t do much to help himself in this situation. Blasts came, cutting Strievers down. Shalax looked around, cursing, unable to find the source. Someone snapped their fingers. She span around, watching as a Ta-Matoran lowered his arm after having snapped. He lifted his firearm, “Move.” He said, opening fire. Shalax leapt up and landed on the side of a building. She used her powers, melding her body into the wall, vanishing. Sion nodded his head. Island Defense members swarmed past him, opening fire, moving in on the hordes of Strievers. Soon Seig was away from all of them as they were slain or driven back. These warriors were swift. That was certain. He came to his feet and claimed his sword again. He watched as they moved without orders – likely given earlier – and started to cut down many with their blasts, while a few used bayonets. Like before, there was a perimeter guard keeping them contained. Everyone covered their eyes. Seig and the others knew this time to do the same. The flash bombs went off. They could heard Strievers and Sliths hissing and burning in the light. Seig opened his eyes and raced forward, cutting down stunned Strievers with ease. When he came to a Slith, it got harder. The armor was too thick. He generated Air around his blade and prepared for another slash, but it parried with a blade first. He cursed and kicked it back before firing a blast of Air forward. The cutting attack didn’t kill the Slith. It raced forward with a minor wound across its’ chest. It slashed rapidly and repeatedly, but was unable to make contact with Seig. He kicked it again and slashed, but nothing. Only a fly of sparks; not even a gash. “Stand aside!” Sion ordered Seig. “What?” Seig demanded, “I’m not some Matoran you can order around!” “If you want to live, then do as I say.” Sion said, “We have this covered.” A Matoran with a gattling gun moved into position, opening fire on the Slith. It took the shots, stumbling back with each shot. The rapid and powerful attack was doing better than the cutting properties of Seig’s Air, somehow. Next came a shotgun user. He fired a pointblank energy shot into the Slith’s chest, knocking it back again, but farther. It came into alignment with a kneeling warrior with two of the elongated weapons. Twin energy spheres generated and flew forward, an energy trail connecting the two. It wrapped around the Slith, taking it down. The creature hissed in pain as it had energy drained at a constant pace. It tried to get up, but the single soldier with the double sided sword came forward, running the blade through the head of the Slith, killing it. Seig wondered if the sword was for killing stunned Sliths, since the Strievers would die when stunned, due to the energy absorption properties of the attack. The Island Defense worked quickly. When a Slith came at them, they would quickly neutralize it with a combination of gattling gun, shotgun and energy containment, before using the double sided blade or a bayonet to finish it. The Strievers fell quickly from only a handful of blasts or a few stabs or slashes. Soon there were no more enemies standing in their way. Sion lifted his arm and snapped his fingers. “Job done! Let’s move out!” As the Island Defense returned to Sion and started to follow him away, Seig cut him off, “Tell me something.” “What?” “Are you honestly happy doing this?” “What?” “Fighting for Ishiza like this? Wouldn’t you rather be free?” “If we do that, we die.” “Go rogue now.” “Can’t; even with this equipment, she can still have us all killed.” “Look; I just want to know why you fight for Ishiza. She may have given you equipment, but can you be bought that easily? I thought you had pride and principles, Sion.” “I do have pride. I do have my principles. I always said that I would lead this island into prosperity; it’s because of me that this island is an island city. I will still find leadership and make it my own. I will still become the leader of this island and lead it to a better tomorrow. But for now, that requires that I work for Ishiza. I will become her successor one way or another, Seig. Remember that.” As they continued to walk, Seig stopped and called to him. “Does that mean you will commit treason?” Sion continued to walk, “No. I will never commit treason. Not unless this entire world turns against me will I turn against the chain of command. That’s what I was always taught as a Soldaat; as an Island Defense member. Now that I command Island Defense, I know that is a powerful truth. “So no, Seig. I will never betray Ishiza, or my command. I am finally in a place I have always wanted to be. I am finally in a place of command among my peers. I will fight in this position without greed for a higher one through immoral means. I will only rise in rank if I am deserving of it. Treason is no option; no coup will come. “If you hate Ishiza that much, Seig, then do it yourself. Stage your own rebellion, or just kill her yourself.” He looked back, “But you’ll have to deal with me at that point.” They left.Review

Chapter 9: 999 A.G.C.: Shalax sat bowed in a building that stood where the Dunes of Sorrow had once been. She focused her powers on the ground, forming it away, remodeling the ground into something else. A coffin. The coffin stood separated from the ground. It was the same material, but it no longer had any other connection to where it had just sprung from. Shalax put her hand over the coffin, opening it, finding nothing inside. Nothing visible. Flowing through this coffin was a very powerful energy. This was the energy of Xalcak; the energy that Shalax had focused and used as her own. This energy started to become visible before her as she started to exude some of the stolen powers back at the coffin. She closed the lid as she added her powers to the mix, waiting for a few minutes, and then opened it again. It had been a week since she had seen Island Defense for the first time. She had fought them briefly again, sending her minions out to fight on multiple more occasions. Island Defense always slew them without a single loss on their side. They were a powerful group, with very competent leadership. She would have to destroy their leader. Sion. No. She would destroy them all in one move. Sion wouldn’t die alone; all of his fellows would die with him. This plan would eliminate them all. She looked back into the coffin at the body of Xalcak. She had forced it to materialize for her, for her own desires. She put her arms out over the corpse she had created, giving it power, forcing it to life, just as she would create Strievers or Sliths. She brought power and life to this faux corpse of Xalcak. Even with a fake corpse, what she needed was still completed. Xalcak rose, his own mind back in his body; not a fake mind, not a fake soul. The real Xalcak. “Welcome back to the world of life.” Shalax said, rising to her feet, “It is only thanks to your powers that I was able to bring you back. You are truly a unique being, Xalcak. Your soul and mind remaining in limbo rather than moving on; your body being gone, but energy still flowing. But I suppose the body situation was the fault of the Toa years ago, was it not?” “Who are you?” Xalcak questioned in a monotone, sliding, stealthy voice. “Shalax; the inheritor of your power.” She said, turning her back on him, looking out at the city, “And the one who will claim this island.” Xalcak looked outside as he walked to another window. “What happened to this island?” “It changed since your death. I understand that it was already started before you died…but you can see the extent of it. Right now we’re at the former site of the Dunes of Sorrow, by the way. Completely gone.” “Tell me one thing.” “What?” “Why do you think I would submit to you and obey you?” “Because I have all the power here.” Xalcak lifted his arm towards Shalax. Her own armor rippled across her body, becoming like a knife over her entire being. It began to dig into her, threatening to kill her. “Very impressive.” She said, “I wish I knew that trick. Sadly, I don’t. Yet.” Her armor stopped. “You have my powers.” He said. “I do. Like I said, I am the inheritor of your power. That wasn’t figurative; I did inherit it. I took the time to learn your powers. You cannot kill me with your old ways. My ways are the same…and better. I can undo whatever you do.” “Why did you revive me?” Xalcak questioned. “I wanted your help.” “With what?” “Eliminating a group on this island.” “The Toa? I already took a few with me.” Xalcak said. “No. Not them. There are only four of them; two who fought you, and two rookies.” Shalax said, “No. Rather, I need your help in dealing with a group of Matoran warriors called Island Defense. They continue to slay the Strievers and Sliths I send after them.” “Even my Sliths fail?” Xalcak demanded, “You are not worthy of my power if you cannot have Sliths kill Matoran!” “Their weaponry is very good, and they are very skilled.” She said, “Feel free to try them if you want.” “I shall.” He hissed, holding his arm out. Strievers began to come out of the ground before him, hissing, ready to do as he ordered. “I shall send help with you.” Shalax said, holding her arm out, sprouting her own Strievers. Unlike Xalcak’s, the head blade that they had were down. Xalcak’s had the blade up. That was the only difference that they could see. “Go.” Xalcak ordered. His Strievers moved out. Shalax’s followed quickly. “What about Sliths?” She questioned him. “I never send them this early.” He replied, “First I must know how these warriors fare against the basics.” “Are you going to watch?” She questioned. “I can and am.” He replied. “What?” “In the mind of my eye, I can see.” He said, “Have you not learned that?” She walked out. She didn’t trust Xalcak, but she wanted to watch the fight. Was he tricking her into leaving, or could he truly see through his mind’s eye? Whatever the answer, she would find out after this battle. “Team Alpha! Secure the building to the right! Team Epsilon, with me! Teams Beta and Delta, take the building to the left! Fire from the top as Alpha fires from the other side of the street!” Sion ordered. The soldiers ran off to do their duties. Sion lifted his weapon and opened fire as he and Team Epsilon moved forward. Team Epsilon was heavily armed; very few using the standard weapon, most using the gattling guns. Strievers fell on all sides. Sion noticed the oddity with them; some were fast, some were slow and lumbering. Some had the head blades down, some up. He recognized that the ones with the blades up were also fast; just like in the past. The ones with the blades down were slow; as he had been seeing currently. Did that mean something? Did that mean Xalcak was involved? These were clearly his, after all. Or did that mean that whoever their current enemy was, she was just messing with them by doing this? “Concentrate fire! Don’t let up!” Sion ordered. The Toa started to arrive on the scene. Seig and Raiz were the first to notice the differences in the Strievers. “Does this mean that Shalax knows how Xalcak created Strievers…or does this mean something else?” Seig muttered. “What?” Yuli asked. “Nothing.” He replied. “Tell us!” Ryza snapped, “You’re hiding something!” “The Strievers are different.” Raiz said. “Different? Different how?” The Toa of Weather questioned. “Head blades up; fast moving. Those were Xalcak’s in the past. Blades down and slow moving? Shalax’s that we currently fight. She’s either figured out how to make both, or something is wrong here.” “Could some have just survived for all these years?” Yuli asked. “No.” Seig said, “They don’t die when their creator dies, but…no. They couldn’t survive that long.” “Do we fight?” Yuli asked, “Or do we observe? Try to figure this out?” “We fight of course!” Ryza said, “Right?” “Yeah.” Seig replied, lifting his sword, “Ok guys! Let’s make this quick!” His eyes darted around, “I’m almost certain that Shalax is around here somewhere, watching us.” The four Toa ran into battle, joining Sion’s team as they cut down Strievers. But as they continued, they noticed more arriving. Running quickly, leaping up and at them, coming down in a more feral style of combat. Xalcak’s Strievers once more. Soon, as they continued to fight, Sliths began to appear. The larger warriors ran into the battle, slashing around, forcing the Island Defense to break rank and refocus their energies on the larger warriors while the Toa dealt with the Strievers, despite being the opposite of sensible combat. “What do you think this means?” Raiz questioned Seig when they fought back-to-back against Strievers and two Sliths. “What do you mean?” “I mean…do you think Xalcak is back?” “After all the hardships we faced in dealing with him all those years ago?” Seig questioned, “No. He can’t be back! We killed that monster! We destroyed his body! That’s all there is to it; there’s no way he can be back.” “But after he died…you know what happened.” “I know.” Seig replied, “Destiny became corrupted on this island. His death caused destiny to make mistakes. I get that. But even though he was powerful enough to affect destiny, there’s no way he can be back! There’s no way he could raise himself, or Shalax could raise him! That’s all there is to it!” “I hope you’re right.” Raiz replied, cutting more of them down. As they continued to fight, Xalcak appeared on the scene, walking towards the battle. Shalax saw him and leapt down, walking beside him. “What are you doing here?” “I wanted to see the situation firsthand. Not through my mind’s eye. And besides…I see two old enemies.” He walked towards Seig and Raiz, identifying them even after their armor changes. The two Toa stopped fighting and stared at the new arrival. Raiz span around, kicking a Slith aside and raced forward, “Xalcak!” He screamed, “I’ll kill you for sure this time! This time will be different!” He lifted his claw and sword. Xalcak lifted his arm, forming it into a blade. He walked closer, waiting for Raiz to get closer, and then swung. Their blades collided. As they touched, Xalcak’s arm shifted, morphing around the blade. It became like a snake, shooting down the weapon, plunging through Raiz’s chest, causing him to fall to his knees and gasp for breath. “Raiz!” Yuli and Ryza shouted. Seig got in front of them, “Stay back you two!” He snapped, “He’s dangerous!” He lifted his sword, “He’s also mine!” Xalcak withdrew his arm, returning it to normal. He walked towards Seig, leaving Raiz lying on the ground, gasping in pain. Seig held his sword out in both hands, getting ready for a hard battle against the man he had faced so many years ago. As he approached Seig, Shalax was getting to work. She was summoning many more of her warriors of both types. She was lashing out with her own powers, attacking buildings, sending her warriors straight at them. Some were cut down by the fire of the Island Defense, but not nearly enough were stopped. She continued to use her powers more and more, sending more and more attacks and warriors out on all sides. Sion shouted orders, trying to reform the Island Defense lines so that they could better fight back. He heard many screams as innocent Matoran were slaughtered. “You monster!” Sion shouted, running for Shalax, lifting his firearm. “Now, now. Don’t try that on me.” She said, “Or I’ll tell your secret.” He slowed to a stop. Team Epsilon stopped behind him. One questioned him, “Secret? What’s she talking about, Sir?” “Nothing!” He shouted, “Kill her!” He lifted his weapon, “Kill her and kill her minions! Now!” “I’ll tell it, then.” Shalax said, “He was my pawn when Xalcak was still active, around one thousand years ago. I convinced him to have the people build these buildings; to modernize the island. I was the woman behind the man. He did my bidding, never having his own free will, other than his own foolish thoughts of being a leader. When we met a week ago? You warned me. You do know it is me. Yet you keep it a secret, instead of firing on me or telling your men anything about your past. Are you a leader that keeps secrets from his men, Sion? I never taught you to do that.” “Lies!” Sion shouted, “She’s lying about it all!” “No. I’m not.” She said, “How do I know your name, then?” The men with Sion began to show doubt and worry. They opened fire, not listening to him as he screamed to focus on Shalax.Review

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 10: 999 A.G.C.: “Your position as leader of Island Defense, as well as your position on Island Defense at all, is abolished.” Ishiza told Sion, before a group of his peers, his highest ranking subordinates. She held her hand out, “Turn in that eye piece; it goes to the next deserving warrior so that he can lead the force.” “On what grounds are you doing this?” He hissed. “Conspiracy; treason. Failure to protect the Matoran.” “We were supposed to keep down revolts!” “Protecting them also helps to show that they are considered important; it keeps down revolts as well. Now, hand it over, or you’ll lose your head.” Ishiza said. “I refuse.” He hissed. “What?” “You heard me!” Sion shouted defiantly, “I refuse, Ishiza!” He kicked the guard next to him and ran, taking up his blaster from a table. As his peers drew their weapons, he fired, keeping them at bay. He turned and fired at the guards as they came after him, and then one shot at Ishiza – a wide shot, to avoid her, but enough to make her guards worry – for good measure to insure his escape. “Capture him.” Ishiza hissed to her guards and the Island Defense members in the chamber, “I don’t care what it takes. Capture that man and bring me his head!” “Understood.” One of them said. The highest ranking Island Defense man began to shout orders to the other members as well as members of Ishiza’s guard who were in the room. They all followed him out, obeying his orders as he gave them. Sion continued to run. He ran as hard and as fast as he could, heading towards an area that he knew he could try to escape from. Not all of the island was covered in city; there was one small location that hadn’t been converted. As he ran through the rest of the city, he could hear shouts after him; he could see the Island Defense firing on him, but missing. He was nearly to where he needed to be, with the only pursuers still being the seven men from Island Defense. He reached the end of the city, stopping short at an area that dropped down into a small forested area with a stream running through it, along with a waterfall that provided hydroelectric energy to the island. This area was left unchanged for the sake of powering the island, and nothing more. Sion leapt down, landing in the brush below. He didn’t have much time to think about what he could do, what he needed to do. He turned to his left, looking at a series of boulders that were tightly packed together. They were against the wall that rose up behind him. He ran that way, pushing away the tall grass and weeds. They sprang back up behind him, fortunately, or he would be quickly found. Sion crouched and pulled the weeds away, looking at the gap between the boulders and rock wall behind him. It was small; but that was an understatement. Very, very small. He doubted that he could fit inside to hide himself. But he heard the others approaching, and had to try. He pushed himself in feet first, but then crawled out. He tossed his weapon inside, into a larger area that he could fit his arm into. He got back down and pushed himself inside, turning onto his right side so as to better fit. If he was found, there was no escape. He would die. As soon as he had himself almost completely inside, with the weeds and grass covering his head down to parts of his shoulders, he waited, holding his breath, remaining as silent as possible as his optical eyepiece recorded data for him through the thick brush. He saw the seven of them land after jumping down. They spoke, but he couldn’t tell what they were saying. He was just focused on remaining perfectly silent. He saw them speaking, and one walked over. The darkness of the shadows created by the boulders must have hidden Sion too well, though, for he wasn’t detected when the man looked at an angle, as if expecting to see Sion’s crimson body there. The man moved away, saying he wasn’t there. They began to speak, and headed into the small riverbed, which went up to about their ankles. They ran through the water, away from the boulders and towards the waterfall, since the other way fed back into the city and a sewer drain that was too small to get through. If he went that way, he was cornered, so clearly he had to have gone towards the fall, where he could climb, seeing as the other way was too high – impossible to climb up. Sion watched, wanting them to give up so he could get out. It was uncomfortable, and he started to doubt whether he could actually get out. But he was a soldier. He put up with it. As they started towards the falls, they all started to cry out in panic. Sion tilted his head to look in that direction; it craned his neck, but he saw. It was a Slith; the deadliest creation of Shalax or Xalcak. It moved down the stream at the Island Defense commanders. They weren’t just weak bureaucratic men, however. They were soldiers, fully capable of defending themselves and killing the Strievers. A Striever and a Slith were a lot different, though. They opened fire, concentrating their seven bursts on the creature’s head, but to no success. It continued forward, unfazed. It never went down, no matter how many times they fought one. They had to use other weaponry in order to even think about standing a chance against a Slith. Now, without any benefits of other weapons, it approached, ready to butcher them. Should Sion go out and fight? He wouldn’t do any better. But what choice did he have? He may be wanted, but these were his men. He had to do something! Sion pulled himself out of hiding and reached back in, pulling his firearm back out. He took grip of the central piece that separated the blaster from the bayonet; that had the trigger under the right pointer finger. He ran forward, falling to a knee, opening fire on the head. “One of you join me! Fire on the head! Two of you, take higher positions and fire! Two of you; behind it! The last two, whoever is brave enough, use your bayonets and attempt to bring it down!” “We aren’t your soldiers anymore, Sion!” One snapped, but continued to fire. “Does it matter right now?” Sion questioned, “Right now, we clearly have bigger problems! This thing needs to die! Got that?” “R…right!” He shouted, “Follow Sion’s orders!” He shouted to the others, “We need to do this!” The men began to take up positions and fire on the Slith. It wasn’t working. The two who used their bayonets didn’t get anywhere, but it was too distracted with the headshots to think about killing them. “Fall back!” Sion screamed out, “Retrieve others! Someone! Backup, now!” One of the bayonet users ran for the wall and started to climb. The other user fell back, firing alongside Sion and the other man. As the Slith continued to move in, the men continued to fall back. Reinforcements still hadn’t arrived. The man who just joined Sion’s side began to shout in defiance. “Forget this! You’re a traitor!” He lowered his weapon, “I may be a proud Island Defense member…but I will not serve with a traitor! Even if it means letting this thing get closer to the people I am to protect! Besides, we can’t stop it!” “We can and will stop it!” Sion shouted, “Just focus your efforts on it!” “We’ve tried!” The other man said, “I have to agree…we can’t do this! We can’t win! Sion…if you want to try, then go ahead…alone. We’re done here.” “You can’t abandon me!” Sion shouted, “This has to be done! We have to kill this thing!” “You’re a traitor; that’s all there really is to it.” He said, “Sorry, Sion.” He lowered his weapon, “If you want to die fighting this, then go ahead.” “No!” Sion shouted. He ran forward, slashing the Slith with his bayonet. He shouted at every slash, but nothing worked. He took a backhand to the face, being thrown aside, into the bank. It continued to approach. The man who had just abandoned Sion’s side was attacked; slashed across the chest, but alive, if barely. Because of how far Sion was knocked back, and how far the other man was knocked back by the slash, they were in alignment with each other. Sion turned to him, calling out for him to run, to get medical attention. “I can’t move!” “You aren’t trying hard enough!” Sion shouted, “Pour all of your willpower into this! Remember that lesson? Put all of your will into something and make it happen! Put your willpower into moving and getting out alive!” “Sion…I can’t…” Sion shouted in frustration. His world was falling apart around him. Betrayed by his own people, marked for death no doubt by Ishiza, his own men coming after him to execute him… What could he do? Nothing they had could stop this Slith, and it was highly unlikely that that soldier had actually left to get reinforcements. At this point, it would be a miracle if anyone trusted Sion enough to listen to him and his orders. If they wanted to save him with reinforcements, they would have to be the most devoted soldiers to live. Sion wouldn’t trust himself if the positions were reversed. How could he expect anyone else to? To take his orders anymore? He shouted in frustration and dropped his weapon. He grabbed a handful of mud and threw it, splashing it into the eyes of the approaching Slith. It hissed and reached up in an attempt to clear the mud away, but it couldn’t with the stocky arms it had. Sion picked his weapon back up and opened fire, but still, not much damage. “Run!” Sion screamed. “I can’t!” “Force yourself to! You have to!” The man tried to move, but he couldn’t. He could crawl a little, but not far enough away. The Slith cleared the mud away and moved forward, ready to end the two lives. Sion shouted and threw more mud, catching one eye. The Slith stopped to clear it away, but continued to take blasts from Sion’s weapon to the head at the same time. It turned to Sion and decided to kill him first. Sion continued to throw mud, but the Slith was blocking with the flats of the large swords it carried. It continued to come closer, slowly. Sion could feel his life slipping away with every step it took. There was no getting out of this alive. He continued to grab and throw. Finally, his fingers closed around a stone. He figured he could throw it, maybe use the blunt impact to his advantage, since it would likely confuse the Slith. But how long? Was it worth putting up the struggle? He decided it was. He was about to throw it, and then stopped. He looked at the stone in his hand. It was longer than his hand, smooth, with no markings that he could find. But yet, he felt something different, something off. He looked up. The Toa had come with the soldier he sent off for reinforcements. Seig noticed the stone in his hand and shouted at him. Sion swayed to his feet, almost doubled over from exhaustion. He held his left hand out, letting mud drip off of the stone and into the water around his feet. He looked up, smiling a grim smile as he held tight to the stone. “Sion! No!” Seig was screaming at him. “But why not?” Sion questioned him. “You aren’t destined to become a Toa!” Raiz shouted at him. “That’s a Toa Stone?” Ryza questioned in shock. Raiz nodded, “Hark’s Toa Stone.” He said, “I thought it would be lost; not found again by someone like him.” “But he won’t transform, will he?” Yuli questioned. “When Xalcak died…destiny was distorted.” Seig muttered in response. Sion couldn’t hear them anymore. He was panting, holding it out, feeling the pure power within the Toa Stone. He knew that since he could feel it, he had to be destined to become a Toa. There was nothing else he could think of that feeling the power meant. “Come face me!” He screamed as the Slith. It ran forward at him, lifting the two large blades back. Sion screamed, throwing his left arm to his side and back as he ran forward. The Stone erupted into an orangish red haze, and then, exploded with power which washed over Sion’s body. As he ran out of the explosion of energy that had washed over him, he was changed. He was a tall, powerful Toa. He had crimson armor over his feet and legs, with a little gray above his knees and around his ankles. He had a crimson and gray armored torso with his silver chestplate over the top. He had gray and red armored arms, with gray armored gauntlets. His elongated Kanohi still had the scope on it; still indicating his status. He still carried the same weapon as he neared the Slith. He swung his arm up, ready to use the blade. And impact.Review

Chapter 11: 999 A.G.C.: Sion slashed the Slith away. It roared and raced at him, swinging both of the massive swords it held up. It slashed both down at the figure of the Toa of Fire. Sion leapt back, span around, and went to a knee, ramming his weapon forward, digging the blade into the Slith’s chest, opening fire, switching between energy blasts and Fire attacks with every shot, continuing to smash attacks into the monstrous creature. His bayonet held it firmly in place, so it couldn’t get away. Sion tore his weapon free, causing the creature to scream and hiss in pain. He span around, delivering a kick to the side of the Slith’s head, causing it to stumble aside. It ran at him, now free of his weapon. He slashed the first blade down, which he dodged with ease. He gave a quick kick to the Slith’s chest wound, causing it to cry in pain. Sion turned his left side towards the creature, throwing his arm out and snapping his fingers, “You’re done.” He span around as it rushed him, turning his right towards the creature, opening fire on it, causing it to hiss and cry out in pain again. “Sion!” Seig shouted. “I’m good, aren’t I?” Sion questioned, “With this power, I shall do what I always wanted! I shall lead this island to a prosperity that it will always hold!” “Are you talking about using your Toa powers to usurp power?” Raiz hissed. “No. I’m talking about using my Toa powers to lead the people to safety with Island Defense.” He simply replied, “With a Toa leading these soldiers, we will be unstoppable!” “Tell me.” Seig said. “What?” “Why did you become a Toa?” He questioned. “I was destined.” Sion said, spinning around to deliver a kick, sending the Slith into the water. He held up his hand, “One moment, please.” He told Seig, turning and firing rapidly into the downed creature’s chest, using Fire to kill it. He turned up to the Toa of Air, “Ok, now, what were you saying?” “Why did you become a Toa?” Seig hissed. “Because I was destined of course.” Sion said, “I found the Toa Stone; destiny. I felt power within it; destiny. I was able to transform; destiny. What would you rather have had me do? Forgo destiny?” “You’re not destined!” Seig snapped. “Of course I am!” Sion said, “Or how did I become a Toa, then?” “When we killed Xalcak all those years ago…destiny was distorted!” Raiz snapped in Seig’s place, “Anyone could have transformed after finding that Toa Stone! You just happened to find it…” “I don’t believe you.” Sion said, “It was destiny!” “No! Coincidence!” Raiz snapped. Sion shrugged, “If it makes you feel better, it was destiny that led me to the Toa Stone, and whatever you said that caused me to transform. Is that a fair tradeoff?” “No! You found it by chance and greed!” Raiz snapped. “Greed?” “You wanted power. You desired power beyond that of a Matoran!” Raiz shouted, “You didn’t just want the Soldaat and Island Defense skills…in the past, you wanted to rule this island! You laid the groundwork for these monstrosities of buildings to rise up! “Physical power is something you may not admit to wanting. You may not want it. But you do want power! You want people to remember you! You want a legacy attached to your name, so you had this city built like this! What did you ever do to be remembered? And now you’re a Toa; one of few. You think you can go down in history for this, now, as one of the last Toa of this time period?” “I wanted this city to rise for other reasons.” Sion said, “It was the best for everyone, can’t you see that?” “No!” Raiz shouted, “In the past…the basics, weren’t they enough?” “For some. But if this island wanted to continue to strive, to live on, they needed this so that they could match up with other economies! Other traders! Other islands!” “What if they didn’t care?” Raiz questioned. “Why wouldn’t they care?” Sion questioned, “Everyone wants more! It’s the natural order of things!” “Do you know how miserable the Matoran are?” The Toa of Rahi hissed, “They’ve begun to revolt in the streets at times! They live in a dystopia! If this island never became like this, then there would be no rulers like Ishiza! It would run autonomously like in the past! But I guess that just wasn’t enough, was it, Sion? You had to delve into your greed and make everyone else pay for it!” He lifted his blade, “I’m going to stop that from happening again!” He leapt down, landing near the stream. He lifted his blade towards the new Toa of Fire, “Come on! I’m going to make sure your greed doesn’t cost anyone else anything anymore!” “So, you would fight me?” Sion questioned. “Yes.” Raiz hissed, “A duel; just us.” “I decline.” “What?” Sion gestured to the few Island Defense members around the area, “I have a duty to my men; I must not die. I must go to see Ishiza, be reinstated properly, and then we can continue our glorious mission on this island! As for your duel, you bloodthirsty Toa, you’re on your own there. I won’t fight you.” He turned on his heel and walked towards the ledge. “Coward!” Raiz screamed at him. “I’m not going to let you make me fight by responding to such insults.” He said, too smart to fall for it. Raiz screamed out, despite his newfound composure that had been built over hundreds of years. Seig, Yuli and Ryza leapt down to go to him, with Yuli and Ryza stopping near Sion. “I’ve become like the two of you.” He said, glancing to Yuli, “I know you were always interested in my ways.” “I want to know what you’re going to do now that you have power.” She replied. “I’m going to do just what I always said I would do. I’m going to bring peace to this island, bring stability, make it a better place. Can you really stand against me? We fight for the same beliefs.” “I don’t appreciate the way you seem to be going about this.” “I haven’t done anything yet.” “Your words.” “What of them?” “I don’t know much about Xalcak or his death, but I have to believe my team. Destiny was damaged on this island, and you are no Toa.” She said, “No true Toa. A false Toa here to give us your views of guidance that nobody desires.” “I’m sorry you feel that way, but that’s just the way it is.” He said, walking away towards the ledge. Before he could climb, Ryza turned to him. “You false prophet!” “Oh? Is that how you have to compare me to get the point across?” He questioned, “By all means, use those words if they make you feel better. I am who I am; I am no false prophet, or a false Toa. I am only a Toa.” “You dare to show yourself?” Ishiza questioned Sion, unimpressed by the fact that he was now a Toa. She was in disgust that he still wore the body armor and the scope indicating the leader of Island Defense, but other than that, didn’t care much. “I’ve changed, clearly.” He said. “On the outside. I never liked Toa.” She said, “Did you not know that? Did you think I did, and coming here as one would fix things?” He went to a knee, “I am your loyal soldiers, Princess Ishiza. Allow me to continue to serve as leader to Island Defense, with my new position as a Toa. I can now assure you of peace more than I ever could have in the past. Please, allow me.” “And if I refuse to allow you to reclaim your position?” “Do what you will.” He said, “Kill me, if you must. Do what you feel to be the best.” “You’re sure of yourself and my decision.” “I don’t fear death. I fear failure.” He said simply and nobly. “Very well, then.” She said, “Use your new powers as you will; continue to lead Island Defense. You had better not fail again.” “I will not. If I do, my head is yours.” He told her. “I expect nothing less to come from your failure.” She told him, “I will accept your head as a trophy.”50 B.G.C.: The bridge spanning the Dunes of Sorrow was massive. The Toa would often walk across it rather than go around. It was convenient, despite not being completed yet. It wasn’t permanent, due to how shoddy it looked. It was only there for the time being, until the desert could be wiped out and a city built atop it. “Anything?” Hark asked Clasis, switching shifts. “Nothing.” The Toa of Magma told the Toa of Jungle, “I’m starting to think Xalcak moved his base.” “It’s possible.” Hark said, leaning against the railing, looking down into the sands, “After all, with this development going on, he may have felt it best to cut his losses. I would have.” “Hark, be careful.” “What? Is there a problem here or something?” “You can’t fight well in these conditions, remember?” “Yeah, I know.” Hark muttered distastefully. He hated the fact that he couldn’t fight in the desert. He was working on it, but it irked him to no end. As Clasis was walking away, he gave a shout to Hark. Hark turned, seeing a horde of Strievers and a few Sliths standing, blocking their way. Hark glanced back, not surprised to see the other end blocked as well. “Guess we have to fight.” Clasis said. Hark nodded, “I’ve been looking forward to a fight in the desert, actually.” He lifted his spear, “Let’s test my new strategy.” “New strategy?” Clasis questioned. Hark nodded, “You can handle that side, right?” “Of course.” “Deal with them, then be sure to watch me…if you somehow finish first.” Hark said. “Let’s make this a competition, then.” Clasis said. “I didn’t take you for a betting man.” Hark said. “Trust me, I love it.” Clasis told him. “Whoever finishes last has to do double patrol shifts for the other person?” Hark questioned. “Sounds good.” Clasis agreed, lifting his double bladed sword. As the creatures on his side approached, he swung his sword arm out, sending a wave of Magma forward, cutting down the first wave, melting them quickly. He ran forward, parrying and slashing quickly, cutting down the stragglers who avoided his Magma strike. He span around, running one of them through. He kicked one away and span around, blasting it in the face with a ball of Magma. Clasis span around, watching Hark slash and parry with his large double sided spear weapon. He was quick at handling such an awkward weapon, to Clasis’s surprise. Hark may actually win, he figured. Though Clasis was too good to give up. He span around, cutting a Striever down with a quick slash. He parried the Slith’s attack when it reached him and smashed a ball of Magma into the chest of the large creature, melting and killing it. He span around, watching Hark. Hark was winning, somehow. “What are you doing?” Clasis shouted to him. “Winning!” Hark shouted. Vines tore out of his armor, strangling Strievers around him. Some of the spiked, larger plants were impaling Sliths, or strangling them just the same. They writhed around, acting almost independently, just thrashing about like snakes, while Hark used his spear to fight other creatures. “What are you doing?” Clasis shouted again, burning down a chunk of them, damaging the structure of the bridge at the same time. But it couldn’t be helped; he was already running towards Hark. He grabbed Hark, shaking him, “Have you lost it, Hark?” He demanded. Hark lashed out at the unseen creatures behind him, still using his vines to fight, even without having to watch. He pushed Clasis away, “What do you think you’re doing? Grabbing me like that…” “What did you do? Seed seeds into your armor? Your organics?” “Yeah!” “Do you know how dangerous that is?” Clasis demanded. “Dangerous? I’m a Toa of Jungle! It’s not dangerous!” “Where do they draw nutrients from? Energy to grow?” Clasis questioned, “From your life force, you unbelievable fool! Those things may let you fight in the desert, but they’re going to kill you!”Review

Edited by Lord Koji

Chapter 12: 50 B.G.C.: “How foolish are you?” Atel demanded as she slowly pulled the roots of the seeds out of Hark’s organics. “It seemed a good idea at the time, is that it?” Sigil questioned him, “It wasn’t.” “Think next time.” Atel agreed, continuing on her slow and tedious work. “How else was I supposed to fight against Xalcak with you guys?” He questioned, “I’m useless in the desert! This was my way of helping!” “We don’t want your help if it means you die!” Sigil snapped, “Remember that.” “I will…” Hark said, surprised that Sigil was actually showing him that he was an important member of the team; more important alive than killing Xalcak. It meant a lot to him. All of them wanted Xalcak so badly, but none more than Veran. As his partner, Hark figured Sigil would be just as committed; but he wasn’t willing to sacrifice a comrade’s life. The three Toa were currently alone in a hut in the village closest to the Dunes of Sorrow. They weren’t sure where the others were at the moment, however. Clasis had gone out to survey the damage he did to the bridge along with some Matoran, so he was accounted for. The others were patrolling, no doubt. Probably trying to reduce dependency on Island Defense. “It’s strange, you know.” Hark said. “What?” Sigil questioned. “We wear ourselves out and thin trying to cover the villages to reduce dependency on Island Defense. But, the more we do, the more tired we get. We can’t break as long between, or Island Defense will continue to take money from the people when we could do it for free… But the more we try to stop them, the more we help them later on, when we aren’t able to get there first.” “Island Defense does seem to have an edge in that regard.” Sigil agreed, “That’s why we diverted some of our manpower to the Dunes; the sooner we find and eliminate Xalcak, the sooner things get back to normal.” As Atel continued to tend to Hark’s body, Rakis ran inside. She nodded to them, “We found him.” She said, “At the Dunes. We have to go! Now!” The four Toa ran out, with Atel’s job of removing the seeds only partially done. Hark vowed that he would only use them if he really had to. But this was shaping up to be their final battle against their greatest enemy; he may need to do it. 999 A.G.C.: “What do we do about Sion and Island Defense?” Yuli asked. The four Toa stood in the midst of burning corpses of Strievers and a few Sliths. They were vanishing slowly, for some reason, but they were dead. “Is it just me…or are these taking longer?” Ryza asked them. “It’s all of us seeing it.” Seig answered, “I wonder if the enemy is weakening.” He crouched, “Look; these are mostly Shalax’s. Only hers, actually.” He rose, “Did Xalcak not send any? Or are they fine, and already gone?” “Could this mean that Shalax is weakening?” Raiz wondered aloud. “It means something.” Seig replied. “Could you try to answer my question?” Yuli asked. “Right. What was it?” Seig asked. “What do we do about Sion and Island Defense?” “They did this, obviously.” Ryza agreed, “But isn’t this a good thing?” “They were a mercenary unit that we tried to stop in the past.” Raiz said, “We had to stop them from bleeding the Matoran dry of money. We have no such problem this time around. They’re a public force. But if they try to break free, overthrow Ishiza? Then we have to worry about them rogue, and about the Matoran and money situations.” “But they won’t betray her.” Yuli said, “Sion strikes me as a loyal man.” “Loyal to his own ideals, maybe.” Ryza muttered. “We just have to watch and be careful. That’s all we can really do.” Seig commented, “For now, let’s go.” He ran through the corpses, towards the sound of fighting up ahead. The others quickly followed, stopping with him when they saw the Island Defense troop in defensive positions, firing tactically on the Strievers, while diverting stronger weaponry against Sliths where Sion was fighting, using melee attacks – kicks and slashes from his bayonet – along with Fire to bring down the stronger creatures. Sion span around, snapping his fingers and blasting a Striever pointblank in the chest as it came at him. It fell, slowly vanishing. He span back around, snapping again, slashing a Slith easily through the throat, dropping it without a thought. “Back them up!” Seig ordered, running into the battle, slashing at a Slith, knocking it back. He generated a small sphere of Air into his hand, ready to release it, when Sion shot a small, compressed blast of Fire from his weapon, dropping it. “This is our fight!” Sion shouted. “No! As Toa, it is our duty to do this!” Seig shouted at him, unleashing the wind attack on another Slith, knocking it back into Yuli’s Weather powers as she released as much rain as she could, attempting to drown the creature as it came face first into the liquid. Ryza unleashed a blast of Electricity, dropping it. “Fine. Just stay out of our way!” Sion shouted, launching Fire bolts from his bayonet and blaster at the same time, dropping as many as he could, “Heavy Unit!” He shouted. Four gattling gun users and four shotgun users approached. Three Sliths were coming. Sion nodded, running off to fight other creatures. The Matoran alone fought against the stronger creatures, opening fire with their heavy weaponry, actually succeeding in dropping the creatures, killing them even. The four Toa continued to fight alongside Island Defense, until the creatures were gone. All of Shalax and Xalcak’s forces were gone now, but hers still vanished later. Was this a sign she was weakening, or possibly, growing stronger? “Sion, any idea about those corpses?” Yuli asked, nodding to his scope. “I checked. I didn’t get anything.” He said, “No readings on the body; nothing worthwhile.” “What do you think?” She asked him. “She’s getting weaker, somehow.” He replied, “She is very powerful, I imagine, but somehow…she should be weakening.” “How do you know that she’s very powerful?” Raiz questioned, walking over, “You’ve never fought her. You’ve encountered her, but you haven’t seen anything.” “I said that I imagined she was powerful.” He told Raiz. “I get that, but I don’t believe you.” “You don’t like me; you’re grasping at straws to try to attack me somehow.” Sion said. “I may be biased against you, but I’m not grasping at anything.” Raiz told him. “Oh, really?” “Yes.” “Then where’s proof that I know of Shalax and her power?” “I don’t quite know.” Seig walked over, “I heard you two talking when I fought Xalcak.” He said, “When Yuli and Ryza were seeing to Raiz’s wounds. You two do know each other. I didn’t catch it all, but I heard some.” “It’s nothing.” Sion muttered. “Tell me!” Raiz shouted. “He used to be my puppet.” They all turned around to see Shalax approaching, with Xalcak in tow. The two stopped before Island Defense and the five Toa. Sion snapped his fingers, all of them taking to a knee and aiming their weapons on the two newcomers. “Puppet?” Raiz questioned. “When he was a Matoran…when my predecessor was still active.” She said, “I encouraged him from the shadows. I got him to build this island into what it now is. I gave him the ideas, and he gave them to the populace. They listened, for some reason, and then I waited.” “Waited for what?” Seig demanded. She glanced to Xalcak, “Him to die, so I could have his power.” Xalcak lashed out at her, his arms permanently straight, never bending at the elbow or wrist, as usual. His right arm melted into a sword, slashing at her. She leapt back, evading the strike, landing away from them. “I believed a city would be more advantageous for me to take his powers in.” She said, “More places to hide, even if the desert was so large. I hated that place, so I stayed away. I didn’t want to go there to absorb him; I wouldn’t have actually found him. But traversing a city is so much easier than traversing endless dunes…” “I will kill you.” Xalcak said, “Plotting my demise…I’ve plotted yours since you brought me back.” “You’ll have to wait to claim that revenge.” She said, melting away into the ground, vanishing from them. “Fall back!” Seig ordered, “Neither of you are ready to fight him!” He told Yuli and Ryza, then glanced to Raiz, “We can hold him off.” Raiz nodded, lifting his sword, “Revenge for my poor performance last time.” “If you two are fighting, then so are we!” Ryza asserted. “No!” Seig snapped, “As leader, this is my order!” “Too bad.” Yuli said, “If you’re fighting, then Ryza and I will too.” “Fire!” Sion snapped at his men. The Island Defense soldiers opened fire alongside their leader. Blasts scorched the ground with their high rates of fire, but none could hit Xalcak as he manipulated his body to avoid each blow. “You fools are out of your league.” Xalcak hissed to the Island Defense. Seig and Raiz rushed towards Sion, “We’ll help you.” Seig said, “But only if you get your team out.” “No concern for my safety?” Sion questioned mockingly. “No matter what we say, you won’t leave this fight. We all know that.” Raiz told him. “That’s right.” Sion said, “Now…you two leave.” “What?” Raiz hissed. “Are you a fool? You’ll die fighting him alone!” Seig snapped. “No. Alone, I will win. You two will die if you stay.” “What?” Raiz demanded, ready to strike, “You think that you alone – a rookie – can fare better than the two of us? Who have fought him before?” “Because I’m better.” Sion said. “You really think you’re better?” The Toa of Rahi was starting to get very angry. “I don’t think so…I know so.” Sion lifted his gun and started to rapidly fire. Xalcak dodged each blow, walking slowly forward, bending his body out of the way to evade. “Go!” Sion snapped at them. “Let’s watch him fail.” Raiz muttered, pulling Seig away with him. Sion continued to attack, and then unleashed a bolt of Fire from his left hand. Island Defense was pulling back. Xalcak melted into the ground to evade Sion’s strike. Sion smiled, snapping his fingers as he usually did now that he had become a Toa. He looked at the ground, no doubt tracing Xalcak’s movements with his scope. He whipped around, lifted his weapon, and fired. As Xalcak came up, he took each energy bullet and Fire bolt that Sion fired; some of the flames being doubled as he fired another shot out of his bayonet for good measure. The onslaught lasted only a few moments. He continued to fall back, body covered in serious burns and scorches. He vanished underground once more. Sion smiled, tracing him again. Instead of firing, he ran forward and slid as Xalcak emerged, evading this time by splitting himself so that the bayonet couldn’t pierce him. The blade sat in the gap created by his body. Sion rammed his left palm into the spot where his foe’s head was, stunning him. He then grabbed the head and unleashed his Fire powers, burning Xalcak to the point where he could no longer hold his shifted form. And then the bayonet was within him, cutting through as his organs reformed. He screamed even as his face was burning. He stumbled back, pulling the bayonet free, causing serious internal injuries to himself. Sion turned his right side to his foe and lifted his weapon. He charged Fire into the blaster and the bayonet, and then, fully charged with energy as well, he pulled the trigger. His energy blast and twin lancing Fire attacks tore through Xalcak. The former scourge of the island burned, stumbling away, still never bending his limbs, even in such pain. He threw his head back, screaming as he melted into the ground, rather than fall to his knees – which he couldn’t. But as he melted partway into the ground, he stopped. “He’s dead.” Sion reported, “No life signs. I killed him.”Review

Chapter 13: 999 A.G.C.: “How could you be the one to kill him?” Raiz shouted. “I had superior technology aiding me.” Sion gave a self-absorbed grin, “And I had my latent talents of marksmanship and combat skills. You see, you Toa are good, but I had years of combat as a Matoran; professional training as a Soldaat. I had more than you ever had. I had superior skills with which to deal with Xalcak.” He shrugged, “I’m sure if you guys had had my training in the past, things would have gone more smoothly.” Raiz couldn’t hold his anger back any longer. He threw a punch, striking Sion, throwing him to the ground. Sion picked himself up, touching the spot on the side of his face where he was struck, “You want to fight?” He shouted. “Raiz, let it go.” Seig said. “He disrespected the lives we lost!” Raiz shouted, “The way he talks, he disrespected the sacrifices of our comrades! Our friends! How can I let that stand?” “I meant no disrespect, know that.” Sion said, shaking his head as he walked past them, “Come on, men, let’s go.” The Island Defense units followed him as they left. Seig and Raiz watched them go, and were soon joined by Yuli and Ryza. “At least Xalcak is dead.” Yuli said, “It doesn’t matter who killed him.” “No, it doesn’t.” Seig agreed. “What matters is his disrespect of our deceased comrades!” Raiz shouted after Sion. He shook his head, “I’m going. It took years, but I lost my bloodlust. I’m afraid that this man is bringing it back by angering me so much.” Seig nodded, “Yeah, its best if we just go and forget about this for now.” 50 B.G.C.: The Toa assembled at the bridge, where Clasis was already cutting down Strievers and Sliths. The Strievers exploded with sparks as he slashed, clashing steel against steel. They fell and would evaporate into smoke. The Sliths would get strikes back into Clasis, causing him to spark as well, causing damage to him. He would only retaliate with Magma to burn the stronger creatures, using his sword only on the smaller warriors. Veran led the charge up the bridge. He leapt, giving a flying knee to one Slith. He span around, giving it rapid kicks to the head before infusing his brace with Plasma for the finishing blow. Sigil ran up, giving quick jabs to one of the larger creatures. He ducked the swing of one of its swords. He drew his right fist back, infusing it with his Gravity powers. He threw a punch into the Slith’s face, bringing it down by crushing the head. Raiz leapt into a group of Strievers on all fours. He whipped around, digging his weapons on both arms into their ranks. He threw his head back and shouted, using his powers. A large hawk Rahi flew down, slashing and pecking at the creatures, bringing some of them down. Atel ran forward, spinning her large spear overhead, slashing down and parrying quickly. She may have been a Toa of Healing, but her combat skills with her spear made up for having a support Element, not an offensive one. She was swift in dealing with Strievers, and ended up with a Slith in front of her, parrying both swords. Hark leapt in, impaling the Slith in the side of the head by throwing all the strength he could behind a thrust of his double ended spear. He kicked it over the side of the bridge, watching it vanish into smoke before it hit bottom. Rakis slashed at Strievers with her claws, and then opened her mouth, unleashing a Power Scream pointblank into a Slith, smashing through the thick armor it wore and throwing it over the side, watching it vanish into smoke. Clasis regrouped with the others, slashing through Strievers to reach them. He span around, unleashing a burst of Magma into the face of a Slith, bringing it down. He kicked another one, sending it back, allowing Atel to ram her spear through the face. Seig leapt over the swing of a Striever’s sword, kicking the creature in the face. As he landed, he impaled it with his sword. He span around, parrying the slash of another. He sent a blast of Air into the warrior’s face, throwing it over the side, and then following up with a drilling tornado into the chest, destroying it. The Toa, finally regrouped, turned their entire attention ahead to the swarm approaching them. Veran lifted his right leg, infusing his brace with Plasma. Sigil drew his right fist back, infusing his weapon with Gravity. Raiz drew his arms back, getting ready for a savage strike with his hawk. Atel drew her spear back, getting ready for a double arm snap as fast as she could to deliver as much power as she could. Seig was supporting her by bending Air around her weapon. He himself was doing the same for his sword; an arm snap thrust. Hark was drawing his spear back, getting ready to use his own power to do damage, rather than depend on someone else’s powers to give his weapon strength. He was determined enough to make it work. Rakis was rearing her claws and head back, ready for a powerful Power Scream, and readying her claws to clean up any remainder. Clasis was drawing his sword back, infusing Magma into both ends, ready to unleash it in one burst. As the creatures rushed them, everyone acted. Veran leapt up, kicking his leg out, throwing the Plasma forward. Sigil punched, throwing his Gravity warping forward. Raiz leapt forward, his Hawk joining him as they were above the two attacks before them, coming down into an unaffected part of the offensive group they were attacking. Atel ran forward, going at a side that wasn’t in the way of the already flying Elemental attacks. Hark was running beside her, ready to join her in dealing with that flank. Seig was adding his Air powered thrust to the central column of men. Rakis and Clasis added the Power Scream and Magma to the same side that Atel and Hark were striking, but aimed wider to avoid hitting their comrades. The combined attacks of the eight Toa brought down all but a handful of the Strievers and Sliths. They backed away, hissing, readying for another strike no matter how futile it would be. The Toa stood ready, always ready to continue fighting and bring them down. Then Xalcak melted atop the bridge, coming out of the bottom. He walked towards his minions, who moved aside to allow him to pass. He said nothing. He lifted his right arm. The bridge began to reform around the Toa as spikes erupted on both sides of them, coming into impale their armor. “Move!” Sigil screamed, throwing Gravity powers around to attempt to help everyone. As they started to move and dodge Xalcak’s attack, they could see that Hark was impaled by one through the chest. “Hark!” Atel shouted, rushing to help the Toa of Jungle. “Everyone else, focus on Xalcak!” Veran shouted, “Bring him down!” Sigil and Veran ran forward first. Sigil leapt up as Veran went low, sending a kick up while Sigil brought a punch down. Xalcak manipulated the bridge once more. A wall of iron came up between the two Toa and himself, stopping their attacks from getting any closer to him. Clasis threw a blast of Magma forward, melting through the wall. The two leaders threw their attacks forward again; a punch and a kick. Xalcak lifted both arms, manipulating them into blades. He slashed at their oncoming attacks, wounding them. As the two leapt back, Xalcak walked after them, still never bending a limb. He lifted both arms up, showing the blades that were his arms. He ran as best as he could in such a situation, slashing as hard and fast as he could. The two leaders were still able to dodge the attacks. Veran parried one blade with his brace while Sigil parried one with his gauntlet. Raiz leapt forward, screaming and slashing. A wall shot up under him, throwing him back, leaving him unconscious from the blow to the head. Seig leapt over the wall, lifting his sword in both hands above his head. Air generated around his blade, and then he slashed down. The wall of Air came slamming down at Xalcak; no escape, no defense. Xalcak melted into the bridge at a very fast rate. As the wind smashed into the bridge, it tore a hole through it. Seig landed beside the two leaders and looked ahead as he came out on the other end. Rakis unleashed a Power Scream, sending the attack flying forward. He split his body, allowing the attack to pass through him. Clasis followed up by throwing his arm forward, causing the bridge all around him to melt. The piece fell towards the dunes below, where Seig was generating a tornado, with the two leaders readying their Elemental strikes. As Xalcak came back up towards them, the two leaders leapt forward, actually landing a blow on Xalcak, throwing him to the other half of the bridge. They remained inside of Seig’s tornado. Seig sent them to the other side to continue their battle. He himself ran back to check on Hark. “How’s he doing?” He questioned Atel. She was slowly healing his wounds. She glanced to him, “He’ll be fine. It missed his major organs, it looks like. I should have him up again soon.” “He doesn’t deserve to die.” Seig said, “He’s like me; a rookie, pretty much.” Atel nodded, “Yeah. You two are our youngest warriors. You two need to live through this and be better for it. You two are probably the future of this team, of the defense of this island.” Rakis and Clasis were getting to the end of the bridge. They started to throw attacks across; a Power Scream and a blast of Magma, hoping to strike Xalcak. Xalcak warped the bridge to block both attacks, and then warped it some more, spreading material thin to fix the bridge. He pushed both opponents away by moving faster than they had seen him do before. He didn’t use blades, which could have killed them. He just pushed and walked towards the other Toa. “Kill him!” Veran screamed, running after him, getting a Plasma attack ready on his brace. Sigil ran beside him, a Gravity punch ready. On the other end, Clasis was running forward with Magma infused blades while Rakis had her claws ready. As they all rushed Xalcak – walking once more – he made a move. Bladed arms once more. He span around, parrying the two attacks from behind. This seemingly left him open from behind once more. He started to sink into the bridge, giving some of his mass to it, allowing two fists to emerge from the other end from his own mass and the bridge’s mass, blocking the attacks, even keeping the Magma at bay. “How hard is it to kill this guy?” Rakis screamed. Xalcak quickly shot himself back up, using the quick pressure from releasing all of his mass back into himself to land behind Rakis and Clasis. He impaled Rakis from behind, causing her to scream out in pain, leaving her powers unchecked, sending a Power Scream right into Sigil, smashing his body down the length of the bridge. Xalcak withdrew his arm and walked away. Seig ran at him, throwing Air blades from his left hand. Xalcak split his body to avoid each one. “Atel! Watch Hark!” Seig shouted, drawing his sword into both hands and sliding forward. He slashed as hard as he could, but Xalcak parried with no problem. He slashed Seig across the chest with his other blade, causing sparks to fly out and a dark spot to remain on his armor. As Seig hit the ground, he noticed Atel rise to fight. She ran forward, slashing her spear and spinning around to gain momentum as he dodged back. Hark was fine, it looked like. Atel could leave him to heal on his own while she rejoined the fight. Veran ran forward, crouching to check on Rakis, who was already dead. He cursed and ran forward with Clasis, only hoping that Sigil had also survived. But this was a war. A war against one man, but a war none the less. Even in this situation there were expected to be casualties. As the two reached him from behind, Seig also rose and plunged his blade forward. The attacks all came at him from behind while Atel plunged from the front. He warped his body, creating a hole in his chest. The weapons struck each other, and his mass split off, connected only under the weapons. His body stepped away, allowing him to reform all of his mass at the sides of the Toa. He slashed, but Raiz was back up, parrying. He shouted and slashed wildly, throwing the occasional kick in. His hawk had flown away when he was rendered unconscious and lost control of his power over it. He slashed and slashed, but could never land a concrete blow, as Xalcak always parried. Raiz leapt up, slashing his weapons down at Xalcak’s head. The stiff warrior shot a wall out of the ground, parrying, and then a fist, smashing it into Raiz, taking him down. When it fell, Atel, Seig, Veran and Clasis stood to oppose him. They all focused power around their weapons; with Seig providing Air for Atel to use a pressurized strike. Everyone launched their weapons forward at once. Xalcak melted his body into the ground, coming out behind all of them. He slashed both arms to his sides, cutting all of them down, causing them all to cry out in pain; sparks flying form their backs. “Got ya!” Hark impaled Xalcak from behind.Review

Chapter 14: 999 A.G.C.: Sion and Island Defense moved in quick militaristic manners. They went to knees upon his snap and opened fire straight ahead, cutting down Strievers as they progressed on various Matoran who were fleeing from them. The Matoran safely got behind the line of soldiers, and continued to run. What could they do but run? The Island Defense continued to open fire, cutting down more and more of Shalax’s warriors. Soon the other four Toa had arrived and joined the battle. Seig would launch Air blasts while Yuli and Ryza would unleash electrical attacks. More Strievers were popping up all around them, however. The need for melee combat soon became apparent, and the Toa switched attack means. They started to cut down their enemies all around them, while Sion ordered his men to do the same; using their bayonets while he used his along with other melee strikes. As they fought through the ranks of Strievers, one leapt forward at Sion. He span around, delivering a kick which flipped it to the ground. He shot his left hand down, burning it alive until it vanished. He span around, cutting another one down. There were few left now that everyone was concentrating on dealing with the increasing threat; the urgency made them fight faster and harder. Soon only a handful remained, which were cleaned up by Island Defense. Now three, who still fought hard. One rushed Sion. He caught the blades against his bayonet and shook his head, “Die.” He said, ramming his left hand into the other creature’s face, burning it, causing it to stumble back and run forward blindly. Sion span around, giving it a kick. It only stumbled, and then fell forward. Another tackled him from behind, taking Sion down with the body. He pushed it away and rolled onto his back. It leapt back onto him, slashing at him, but he kept the blades at bay and rammed his blaster into the creature’s chest. He opened fire until it started to stop moving. It hissed and thrashed its head around. Sion saw the head blade go up, and kneed the creature. He started to come up, but it span around, slashing him across the neck with the blade. Sion fell to his knees, gasping in pain, clutching his neck. “Sir!” His men were screaming frantically, racing to his side, trying to help him. The other four Toa rushed to his aid. He was alive, but in pretty bad condition. He limped away with his team’s help, swearing softly, “I refuse to die…I won’t die from some petty little Striever’s head blade…” The four watched him go, with only Seig hoping he would live. Raiz had his problems that were apparent to all. But even Yuli and Ryza hated him after talking to him. Only Seig had hope of him turning around. 50 B.G.C.: Hark looked down his shaft, looking at the tip of his spear protruding through Xalcak’s chest. Xalcak hadn’t saved himself; he was impaled. Xalcak said nothing. But they could feel the bridge vibrating. They looked over the sides, watching many Strievers and Sliths come up, borne just now of Xalcak’s power. Xalcak split his body away from the spear and span around, slashing Hark three times, throwing him aside. Atel leapt forward, shouting and plunging her weapon. He span around, quickly reformed, and slashed, cutting the weapon. He plunged his other arm forward, missing. The spike of bridge didn’t. She was impaled in the air, hanging there dead on the spike. “Atel!” Veran screamed, leaping forward, delivering a flying knee. Xalcak dodged back, but couldn’t move anymore. He was lifted into the air. The survivors looked to Seig, who shook his head. “It’s me.” Sigil said, walking towards them, holding his hand out, “I’ve got him.” As the warriors below began to mobilize to attempt to help Xalcak, Sigil brought him down, readying a powerful punch. Veran was beside him, readying a kick. Both struck as soon as Sigil dropped the Gravity bubble around Xalcak, striking him, throwing him down the length of the bridge. “We have to kill him. Now!” Veran shouted to them, rushing at him. As the Toa ran at him, he rose again. Hark struggled up and joined the charge. He was going to do his best to avenge Atel, since she had healed him and helped him so much with his plants. But he couldn’t honor her by not using the remaining ones. He leapt at Xalcak, letting the remaining plants erupt from his armor, overwhelming Xalcak with them. They began to strangle his armor, holding him down, using different qualities to actually sap his energy away if he attempted to shift his mass. He was stuck, and there were other angry Toa upon him, while Hark remained at his side, not attacking. A punch and brace strike, then Clasis’s slash along with Seig’s. The attacks sent Hark and Xalcak back, with Hark staying close to keep the plants in effect. Xalcak may not have been able to manipulate his own mass, but he could still work on the bridge; the environment. A fist smashed into Hark, throwing him aside. He had the vines torn from his body, the plants torn free. He hit the end of the bridge, just about to fall over if it wasn’t for the railing. Sigil ran ahead, leaping up and delivering punch after punch. Xalcak continued to dodge each blow and then parried with his bladed arms. A hand erupted up, grabbing Sigil. Sigil countered with his Gravity powers, tearing the hand away. He threw a punch with a shout, but Xalcak parried with blades. He plunged his blades forward a lot faster, tearing through the gauntlet and Sigil’s arm. Sigil screamed out in unrivaled pain. Then the other blade through his throat silenced him. Three Toa dead. Veran shouted and leapt forward, delivering a series of bicycle kicks to Xalcak, throwing him back. As he rose, Seig sent him flying forward with a blast of Air. The Toa readied their attacks, but Veran ran ahead, leaping forward, leading with his Plasma powered brace. The attack collided with Xalcak. Veran screamed, pouring as much power as he could into his attack. That attack, combined with the air pressure behind him thanks to Seig was enough to smash Xalcak’s face and chest – the impact points – effectively mortally wounding if not killing him. As Veran stumbled back, Xalcak continued to move. He was mortally wounded by the look of it, though. “Now!” Veran screamed, for a rare instance taking the Plasma into his hands and firing it forward. Seig summoned winds to propel Xalcak forward and keep him pinned. Clasis added his Magma to the attack, and Hark tried to rise, but couldn’t. The two attacks smashed into Xalcak, who was unable to stop them or dodge them. He cried out in an ungodly scream of pain; his body melting from the combined burning attacks. And then, Xalcak’s body was no more. “He’s dead.” Veran muttered with distaste, “We finally got him…but at what cost?” Hark glanced over the side, “Guys! They’re coming!” “Let’s move!” Veran shouted to the survivors, “Everyone, we have to go! Protect the Matoran at all costs, mourn later. We have to get to the villages before these things do!” Hark nodded, “They’re not coming for the bridge anymore; they’re going in the direction of a village!” “Move!” Veran screamed, running off. Raiz got up and ran after him while Clasis and Seig helped Hark up and ran after them. 999 A.G.C.: “Rise!” Shalax screamed from atop a tall structure; her voice booming into the streets below. Matoran looked up in surprise and shock as they went about their days. Power began to flow through the streets, offsetting the Matoran. They began to flee for their lives, for it was all they could do. The energy was too offsetting, too evil feeling for them to do anything else. As they ran, thousands of Strievers rose up all around. The streets soon became flooded by Strievers and Sliths, all of them causing damage, killing whoever they could. They were a terrible sight that would bring pure destruction to the island. Shalax stepped through the rooftop she was on, descending into the building. This would be her base until it was over; this would be where she would wait for the heads of the Toa. “Two days ago Sion gets that wound, then two days of peace.” Seig said, “And now this invasion? I have to think that the wound was intentional; I’ve never seen them use those head blades before!” “Good point.” Raiz agreed, “Well, let’s go. If we can repel this attack, I think Shalax will be pretty weakened. We could probably eliminate her then.” “Yeah.” Yuli agreed, “If her powers are tied to these things, as we think, then it’ll be over.” “But Xalcak’s still persisted even after his death.” Seig muttered, “I don’t know how tied in they are.” “Whatever. Let’s just go and take care of this.” Ryza interrupted. “Yeah. Let’s move.” Seig said, heading to the streets with the others. They weren’t sure what they could do, where to start exactly. They would figure it out, though. They had to if they wanted to keep the Matoran alive. As they entered the streets, thick and alive with Strievers and Sliths, they started to attack and shout. Seig slashed rapidly, adding Air to his attacks, sending blasts down the streets with each blow, scattering and mortally wounding with bladed winds. Raiz was calling on hawk Rahi to assist in the battle. They would swoop down and attack from the air while he would slash with his sword and claw. Yuli was throwing out as much as she could; clouds, winds, electrical activity. Ryza was adding, throwing out harder Electricity bolts, hoping that the denser quality would disperse through the enemy ranks. After an hour of combat, continuing to use the same strategies to clear many out, there was still no signs of a stop. “How many are there?” Ryza screamed out, spinning her arm propeller, unleashing a cyclonic Electricity burst, taking out at least a dozen or two. “Too many.” Seig muttered, propelling himself into the air. His wings snapped out. He drew his sword up, focusing as much Air as he could around it, and slashed down. The massive blow scattered hundreds of them, but it was still not enough. Seig hit the ground and started to run and slash through them again. They fell with ease as usual, if not more ease than ever before. The Sliths as always were hard to fight, but the urgency of the Toa made them think faster and more creatively due to their time constraints, kicking their brains into overdrive, making them find ways around the thick armor. As they continued to fight, they noticed more attacks coming in. Island Defense raced in, shouting, “Move!” Gattling guns opened fire down the streets, cutting down many of the enemies. The light grenades were thrown, stunning and burning many away. The Island Defense attempted to live up to their name and defend the island from this onslaught, which seemed centered here, going down this specific way. They weren’t on any other parts of the island, as far as Seig could tell from his trip into the air. Then he was surprised when a hand was on his shoulder. “Sion! You shouldn’t be here!” Seig told him. The Toa of Fire shook his head, “I’m the commander of this unit. I have to be here, no matter what.” He lifted his weapon, “This wound…it’s bad, but I will persist. I won’t die. I can’t leave my men alone to fight this, and I’m a Toa. I can’t let this happen without getting involved. “Shalax used me. I’m going to burn through her minions. I’m going to burn you guys a path so that you can deal with her. On a single condition: bring me her head. I want to know that the witch who used me is dead. Can you do that?” “Thank you, Sion.” Seig said, “We will bring you her head for this.” Sion smiled and nodded, “Thank you.” He lifted his weapon, opening fire. Fire erupted from his weapon, burning down scores of them at once. Island Defense ran towards him, unleashing as much firepower as they could, mowing down as many as they could possibly kill. “Don’t let up!” Sion screamed, holding his neck in his free hand. He threw it out, unleashing blasts of Fire into the air. They came crashing down into the clusters, burning through from the center. “Sir?” One of them questioned. “What?” Sion questioned as the other Toa pushed through. “What about Princess Ishiza?” “What of her?” “She didn’t authorize us to mobilize. Does that mean she’s working with the enemy?” “No. It means she’ll let the citizens die as long as she remains safe.” He said, considering the creatures were attacking away from the elite section, only in the working class section, “She cares only for herself; if these kill the civil unrest, then so be it for her.”Review

Chapter 15: 50 B.G.C.: Sion cut down another Striever. They were in broken units, just lashing out anywhere, doing as much damage as possible with seemingly no target in sight. The rest of Island Defense fought hard with him. Their leader had commanded them to fight first and get paid later. Because in this case, if they didn’t fight, they were going to die. It was for their own self-preservation rather than saving the Matoran of the village. The Matoran fled as they fought. They attempted to reach safety in villages that sat farther away, in the taller buildings, hoping to use height to escape the Strievers and Sliths as they came. The Sliths were the problem that couldn’t be dealt with. Island Defense couldn’t kill them with their blades. It was down to them to slow them down while the Toa would have to kill them. As the Toa fled from the bridge, they would turn and attack Strievers as they approached. They were becoming faster, gaining on them. The group descended into a small valley and ran through a stream and foliage, hoping to get to the village. Hark span around, throwing out his arm. Vines and plants erupted from the banks, lashing out at the Strievers and Sliths. They weren’t going down easily, but they were going down. “Hark!” Seig screamed. “Forget them!” Veran shouted to him, “Villages! Now!” Hark turned to join them, since he had fallen behind. Even with his wounds he was keeping up; he was too determined to fall behind. He had to help save the Matoran. As he was about to run, a Striever slashed him, taking him down. He span around, kicking it away. He scrambled through the water, clawing at the dirt to pull himself away. Seig turned to run back to help, but Veran stopped him. “He’s our ally!” Seig screamed, “We can’t let him die!” “Can you stop all those Strievers and Sliths?” Veran questioned, “Hark can handle himself! He’s in his element, essentially! He can do this!” “You’re lying.” Clasis hissed, throwing a Magma blast back for good measure. “I know.” Veran muttered, “I just don’t want to admit it; that we’re going to lose another ally no matter what we do!” “We can fight and save him!” Seig snapped. Raiz walked back towards Hark, “Fight?” He grinned, “Let’s.” Hark shouted to them, “Keep moving!” He pushed himself up and ran, but took a slash. Sparks flew upon the steel striking his armor. He hit the ground and rolled, crying out in anguish and pain. “Go!” He screamed, coming up to his feet. He unleashed as much power as he could, sending the plants all around him and from his body out, lashing out at the enemies. He was doing all he could to slow them and let the others protect the Matoran. As they ran, Hark turned to join them, but took another blow. He screamed in pain, but only Seig looked back. Only Seig saw him grab a rock and pour his Toa Powers into it, creating a Toa Stone. And then Hark turned into a Turaga, but the swarm of enemies overtook him before Seig could see his form. Seig screwed his eyes shut, turned his head to the front, and continued to run, hoping that Hark’s sacrifice wouldn’t be in vain. 999 A.G.C.: The Toa used the rooftops with Seig’s Air powers. They leapt, were propelled by Air, and landed, and continued forward. They were soon coming upon a building that was untouched by Strievers and Sliths, other than the occasional one patrolling. “Not very subtle.” Yuli commented. “I think she wants us to know where she is.” Seig said, “Then she could kill us herself.” “But what’s the point of that army, then?” Ryza questioned. “If we got past, maybe she wanted us to come to her.” Seig suggested, “I don’t know.” They landed on the building next to it, “But regardless, let’s move in.” He propelled them down, all of them smashed through windows and landed inside, shards of glass around their feet. They saw Shalax walking towards them to greet them, smiling a vicious smile. “I’m glad you found me. But what happens when Island Defense fails to protect the Matoran from my army? Will you flee and help? Or will you stay and try to fight me, all while knowing that those you are sworn to protect are being butchered?” “You’re asking us if we will walk away when the fire gets hot, or fight another day.” Seig said, “I think you know the answer.” “I really don’t.” Shalax said. “We will kill you.” “It won’t stop my army. You learned that when you killed Xalcak in the past.” “I know. But we’ll make sure you’re dead, and that the threat is completely gone. Then we’ll go to the aid of the Matoran.” “They’ll all be dead.” “I believe in Sion.” Seig said, “He’s changed; he won’t let them die!” Seig lifted his sword, “Here we come, Shalax! Prepare yourself!” 50 B.G.C.: As Veran, Raiz, Clasis and Seig reached the first villages, they could see Island Defense fighting off Strievers. They saw corpses, and men dying as they fought Sliths. They were unable to deal with Xalcak’s elite warriors. “Spread out and save them.” Veran said, running at the nearest Slith, delivering a blow from his powered brace. The other three spread out. Raiz was delighted, leaping at different Sliths and Strievers, cutting them down with his arm claw weapons, while Clasis threw out Magma blasts on occasion, and Seig threw out Air bursts to cut them down with razor winds. More continued to come. They all seemed to center on this village instead of spreading out to other ones. This meant the entire invasion would fall here, if it would fall. Sion saw the Toa’s arrival and ran towards Seig, cutting a Striever down in two moves, “What happened?” He demanded, “What’s going on?” “Xalcak is dead.” Seig answered, unleashing a blast of Air, “So are Sigil, Atel, Hark and Rakis. This is his last attempt at a victory.” “Are there many left?” “I doubt it.” Seig answered, continuing to unleash small, precise Air blades to cut them down. Sion protected Seig’s back with his blades. “This is a onetime thing.” He said. “What is?” “Having your back like this; helping you out for free as an ally. We’ll be associates any other time, for pay.” “I see how you are.” Seig said, “I don’t plan on working with you again. Ever. No need to think about that.” Sion smiled, “You’ll need me someday.” “I don’t think so.” 999 A.G.C.: “We needed Sion to kill Xalcak.” Yuli muttered as Shalax vanished into the walls and floor again, “We may need him again.” “We’ll deal with her without Sion.” Raiz said, glancing around, “She’ll come out somewhere. We just have to be swift and we can cut her down.” “Are you sure?” Yuli asked. “I think what Yuli means is, can we be fast enough?” Ryza asked. “We can be.” Seig said, “I know that.” Raiz nodded, “We’ll do this, no problem.” They continued to watch the walls and floor, going back-to-back, facing out four directions. There was minimal space between them, but no doubt she could come out there. Seig had it covered; pressure on the floor to prevent it. They continued to watch and wait, and soon, they saw Shalax rising out of the floor and simply walking towards them. She lifted her claw weapons, “You’re no fun.” She said, running forward, slashing rapidly. Seig and Raiz took up the defense, parrying every blow with their blades. Yuli and Ryza span around, getting behind her. They both slashed at her back, but she kicked them both quickly, landing one kick on Yuli’s chest, then swiftly sending it to Ryza’s. They both fell back, unleashing electrical attacks from their respective Elements. The shocks struck Shalax from behind. She cried out and stumbled forward, her body actually convulsing as she attempted to morph her mass away. The two other Toa nodded, slashing at the same time, cutting her across both sides of her chest in one move. She cried out as Seig and Raiz span around; Seig using an Air powered slash and Raiz using his claw. They tore through her chest, causing her chest to ripple and rip open. She screamed out in pain, her chest exploding outward. “Yuli!” Seig shouted. She unleashed her powers of Weather, surrounding Shalax with a high pressure wall of air along with Seig’s Air powers to back them up. The pressurized wall closed in on Shalax. Combining that with her large wounds, she stood no chance as she was torn apart. “Now we should deal with the remnants.” Raiz said, “And fast.” The Toa ran away from the chamber, towards the windows. The Strievers and Sliths in the streets continued to move as a thick swarm, only to be cut down by the lines of Island Defense soldiers led by Sion, who had flames tearing through their inner ranks. The Toa went from the rooftops, unleashing their attacks down, causing damage with high pressure Air attacks from Seig and Yuli. The attacks tore the ranks down, but there was still a long fight ahead, with Ishiza likely still not caring about the situation, as long as she and her elite class were safe. As the battle continued to wage through the streets, change would be coming to the island. Change would need to come to the island, even Sion saw that now. Island Defense now belonged to him; they would fight against Ishiza now, if they had to. Change that Sion desired could finally come to the island, if he lived to see it. The four Toa were there to help. It would be long and hard, but the island would eventually recover and change; that was certain. There was no way that the civil unrest wouldn’t overthrow Ishiza at this point. Ishiza’s reign was going to end, that’s all there was to it.ReviewThat's all. That was the final chapter, despite the open end.