The Adventures of Sandstorm, Part Two

Kanakalackin

Hi guys, welcome to Part Two of my three-part epic. Any questions/comments will still be placed in my standing review topic. I am currently working on "A Warrior's tale", a Short Story for Planachar. So, to keep you guys busy, I've included an introduction.

Introduction

A small boat came ashore on a strange island and three Matoran came out. “This is interesting…” A strange voice said. “We hardly get visitors here.” At the boat, the three Matoran were talking amongst them. “I’m telling you guys, bad thing happen on Zakaz.” One said, “That’s a load of Kane-Ra dung.” Another said. “Alright ladies, quit your whining. We have a job to do. Let’s go.” The third said. Little did they know that they had just started to walk into a trap. They strolled through towards the prestigious looking palace in the middle of a town. “Something’s wrong.” One of the Matoran said. “This place should be filled with merchants and Skakdi running about. How many other ships did we see when we arrived?” “A lot.” The second said. “I’m starting to think that we should go back to the ship.” “No. We have a job, a duty, to do for the Great Spirit, remember?” The third said. They were at the palace doors now, no one greeted them, but they walked in anyways. “Hello?” One of them called “Is anyone here?” No response was given. They walked into the throne room and, finally, saw a living soul. At least, they thought it was living. “Hello.” The Matoran said. “We are representatives from Metru Nui, and we came here to negotiate a peace treaty between our two islands, which the Turaga feels will be mutually beneficial.” “I am pleased with your offer, and will accept peace. But I’m afraid that there will be no negotiation…” The mysterious figure said. Figures started to come out of the shadows, moaning and groaning. “Become one of us.” The figure said. “Draw your weapons!” The Matoran leader said while drawing his disc launcher. “I told you we shouldn’t have come here.” The second Matoran said, drawing his katana. “You cannot resist us. Join us!” The figure declared. The Matoran died fighting. But they would not stay that way forever.

(Yes, I'm including zombies.)

Review Topic: HERE

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Chapter One, A New Threat

Sandstorm, Rivera, and Nukovac were under heavy fire from Skakdi forces. “We really shouldn’t have made those Skakdi mad.” Sandstorm said. “We? I think you mean you.” Nukovac said. “Their leader really does have an ugly face.” Sandstorm replied. “Trust me, I’ve seen uglier.” Rivera said. “Oh yeah? Like who?” Sandstorm asked. “I’m talking to him.” Rivera said playfully. “How about we stop talking and get to the ship?” Nukovac suggested. “Right behind you.” Sandstorm said. They made a mad dash for the beach with the Skakdi army in hot pursuit. “Come on, let’s get out here.” Sandstorm said. “I’m a Toa of Water, not a Toa of boats.” Rivera said. And with that, they shoved off and were on their way to Metru Nui. “So, that was fun.” Sandstorm said. “We were supposed to be negotiating a peace treaty with the Skakdi.” Rivera said. “Didn’t the Turaga send several Matoran to Zakaz for the same reason two weeks ago?” Nukovac asked. “Yeah, they never came back.” Sandstorm replied. The trip back to Metru Nui was relatively uneventful. They passed the island of Karzahni and considered attempting to help the Matoran on the island. But they already knew from legends that the Matoran on that island were far from help. When they got back to Metru Nui, they first went to the Turaga, who was displeased with the Toa for not completing their task successfully. They then went back to the Toa Alliance headquarters. “Gather the others; I need to discuss some things with you all.” Sandstorm then retired to his chamber for a quick rest. His dreams were full of memories. Of Tornado, one of his closest friends. He wondered if Tornado had made it out before the attack. Of Ornika, the Turaga that he had only known for three days who had made a life-changing impact on his life. And Kirana. There was something special about her, but he couldn’t quite figure it out. Sandstorm felt a poke on his shoulder and woke up to see those cold, emotionless eyes of Xirax staring down at him. “You’ve gotta stop doing that Xirax. Why can’t you just greet people normally?” Sandstorm said “We’re all here.” We can now converse.” Xirax said. The other Toa were waiting when they got to the meeting room. “’Bout time you got here.” Planachar said. “OK, down to business.” Sandstorm said. “We all remember Muhaki, right?” Sandstorm said. The other Toa nodded in agreement. “While I was cleaning out his room, I found his Toa stone, and it was glowing.” The other Toa looked surprised. “It’s time for a new Toa of Air.” Sandstorm finished. “So, what do you want us to do?” Nukovac asked. “Here, these are small fragments of the Toa stone. The fragment will glow brightest when you are in close proximity with the chosen Matoran.” Sandstorm answered while distributing the small pieces of green crystal. “Now, does anyone have anything to report from their Metru? Strange activity, crimes, etcetera.” Sandstorm asked. “Well, there was one Matoran rambling on about zombies. I don’t know what got into his head, but I think it was The Phantom Terror’s nightmares.” Planachar said. “The Phantom Terror has very limited control over nightmares now. To make a Matoran go mad, he’d need his nightmare staff.” Sandstorm replied. “But if he’s making a comeback, we need to know for sure. Bring him up.” Within minutes, The Phantom Terror was in the conference room. “Well, PT, I’ve heard that Matoran are going mad again, and I’d like to know how you’re doing it.” Sandstorm said. “First of all, my name is not ‘PT’. I did give the Matoran a nightmare, and I didn’t want to give something that extreme, but it is a warning.” The Phantom Terror said. “That seems odd, warning us of a threat that would most likely kill us. I thought that was what you wanted.” Sandstorm said. “It was what I wanted. But I’ve changed. That staff corrupted me. I was made with the ability to give and take nightmares, like five others. I’m a Lumai, one of Sevla’s species. But did the others accept us? No. They thought that we were too powerful, too dangerous. So they cast us off to the far side of Zakaz. Even the bravest and dumbest Skakdi don’t dare go there. For an army lies there, an army that has been slowly been accumulating soldiers for years, an army of the undead. And it is almost time for their first attack. To defeat them, we need two Lumai. I did strike Sevla down, but I wasn’t thinking of the threat that was amassing. There is hope, however, for the Lumai may be decimated, but three remain. Including Sevla and myself. Sevla may have teleported to who-knows-where. But I know where the last Lumai is.” The Phantom Terror said. “I would like proof of this army.” Sandstorm said. “Very well.” The Phantom Terror said, closing his eyes. They opened again and a blue light shot out and projected a hologram onto the table. “This happened approximately two weeks ago.” The Phantom Terror said. The Toa all saw the three Matoran walk in and say something, but they could now discern it. Then they saw the attack. Skakdi, Matoran, and numerous other species dragged, staggered, and crept towards the Matoran. They were quickly overwhelmed and died. But the strangest thing happened, after they died, they got up again, but their heartlights weren’t glowing. They then walked over to the shadows. The hologram flickered off. “Is that proof enough for you?” The Phantom Terror asked. “Yes. We need to find the last Lumai. And you know where he is, don’t you?” Sandstorm said. “She, actually.” The Phantom Terror said. “We will find her somewhere in the southwest. At our homeland to be precise.” The Phantom Terror said. “As much as I hate to say it, lead the way.” Sandstorm said.

Edited by Phantom Terror

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Two, Shipwrecked

“We cannot leave Metru Nui unguarded in our absence. That is why I’m leaving Xirax and Nukovac here.” Sandstorm said. “Have we gotten permission from the Turaga?” Rivera asked. “No.” Sandstorm replied smugly. “Great.” Rivera said sarcastically. “Let’s move out.” Sandstorm said. They boarded the ship and set sail. “Where are we going?” Planachar asked. “To the twin islands of light. My home.” The Phantom Terror said. “What’s your real name?” Kirana asked. “My real name is Rankex. When I came to Metru Nui, it translated into ‘Phantom Terror’”. Ranex said. “How much time do we have until the, ah, army of the undead has finished preparing?” Sandstorm asked. “Five days at most.” Ranex answered. “Then we don’t have much time. Metalicus, change our course. Go in between the Artahka Chain and Destral.” “But, a lot of storms happen there.’ Metalicus answered. “We’re running out of time though. Change the course.” Sandstorm said. “Okay, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Metalicus said while inputting the new course. No clouds had appeared for the first few hours of travel, Sandstorm had felt a burst of confidence, which was then crushed when he saw huge, electrostatic clouds massing a few feet away. “Everyone below decks!” He yelled. Everyone was more than happy to oblige. Metalicus put the ship on auto-pilot and ducked into the cargo bay. Sandstorm stayed outside for a few minutes to judge how drastic the storm would be. Then he saw a ship in the middle of the storm. But this ship was not like any other. It had been extensively jury rigged and there were Matoran on board. Sandstorm was about to help them when he saw that they weren’t normal Matoran. These were the Matoran that had died a week ago. And yet they were sailing a battleship! Sandstorm went through the door to the cargo bay and barricaded it with as many crates as he could find. Who knows how many other zombies there were. “We need to stay as quiet as possible.” Sandstorm said. “Why?” Ranex asked. “Look at this” Sandstorm said, holding up an imageboard. “Oh, Mata Nui.” Rivera said. “A battleship.” “Yeah, and probably loaded with zombies.” Sandstorm said. “Th Matoran should be able to recognize them as a threat and deal with them for now. But there might be more on bo-” Sandstorm was cut off when the ship was tossed by the waves. “See! I told you!” Metalicus yelled. “Uhh. The ship’s airborne.” Rivera said. “What?” Planachar said. Then everything went black. “Where are we?” Planachar said groggily. “He pushed through the cargo bay door and found himself on a beach. “Great.” He said. “Here I am again.”

HERE!

Chapter Three, New Friends

When Metalicus woke up, one word could describe him: furious. He had told Sandstorm that sailing this way was a bad idea, but he wouldn’t listen. And now look where they were. Stuck on an island somewhere in the Artahka Chain. “Wake up.” Metalicus said. “Sandstorm was groggy at first, but quickly realized that something was wrong. “Where are we?” Sandstorm asked. “I don’t know, but it’s your fault.” Metalicus replied. “My fault? Why is it my fault?” Sandstorm said, his anger rising. “You told me to change our course. And now look. The boat’s wrecked, and the zombies are all on their way to a relatively unguarded Metru Nui. Bravo captain, bravo.” Metalicus said. “I made a choice that might’ve saved Metru Nui. But then those zombies came and-” “Yeah, blame it all on the zombies.” Metalicus said, cutting Sandstorm off. “We could’ve made it through if you didn’t leave it on autopilot!” Sandstorm yelled. “Oh, so now it’s the computer’s fault. If you can’t take responsibility for your actions, then I don’t want to follow a leader like you.” Metalicus said. By now the other Toa along with Ranex were listening intently. “I’m out of here. If anyone wants to join me, come on.” Metalicus said. “I’ll come.” Ranex said. “Anyone else?” Metalicus asked. “Let’s go.” He said as they walked off into the forest. “Where’s Planachar?” Sandstorm asked.

Planachar was running through the forest, not out of fear, but rather determination. This doesn’t make sense.” He said. “Everything’s gone.” “Not gone. Just moved.” An all too familiar voice said. “Vushnar.” Planachar said grimly while drawing his sword. “Wait, wait. I’m the last rahksheeva in existence if you kill me, a whole species will go extinct because of you.” Vushnar said. “Okay, give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you. After all, you almost killed me.” Planachar said, lowering his sword. “This island is a dangerous place. There is one that knows all, sees all, and kills all.” Vushnar said. “If it ‘kills all’ as you say, then why aren’t you dead?” Planachar asked. “Because, it has allowed me to live. Along with some others. Quickly, we must leave here. This is an ideal place for a-” Vushnar was cut off as a strong rumbling shook the island. “Trap.” He finished as a casing of stone erupted around them.

“What was that?” Rivera said when the rumblings ceased. “Let’s go. The others might be in danger.” Sandstorm said and the three Toa bolted into the forest. “Stop!” A voice said as all of the Toa were pulled to the ground. “You are not safe here. Come with me!” The voice said. “Follow my tree-marks!” He yelled as his silhouette faded into the jungle. “That was odd.” Sandstorm said. “What do you think he meant when he said ‘you are not safe’?” Kirana said. “I don’t know. But I’d rather not find out.” Sandstorm said as he started hiking through the jungle. After about ten minutes, the three Toa found themselves at the entrance to an underground chamber. “Come here.” The voice said. The three Toa obeyed and found themselves in a dingy basement. “Where are we?” Rivera asked. “Under the island.” The voice said, lighting a torch. “Wait… You’re a Skakdi!” Sandstorm said. “Yeah, so?” He asked. “I thought that your species was furious with us.” Sandstorm said. “Should we?” The Skakdi asked. “No. But, would you be mad if, umm, someone in my party said that your leader had an ugly grin?” Sandstorm asked. “No, not at all, my brother always did look ugly.” The Skakdi said. “Now, allow me to introduce you to the others. Here is Tamiko.” He said, gesturing to a surly Vortixx leaning on the far wall. “Sadly, Vushnar has ventured away this morning and hasn’t returned.” The Skakdi said. “Where are we?” Kirana asked. The Skakdi looked as though it would die is he told them. “Tren Krom’s island.” He said shakily. The Toa were terrified. If this was Tren Krom’s island, “Come on, the others are in danger. “Wait!” The Skakdi said. “You can’t go out there, he’ll kill you!” “Our friends are out there. And we need to find them to save our home.” Sandstorm said. “I’m coming.” Tamiko said. “You’ll need the help.” “Are you coming?” Rivera asked the Skakdi. “No, it’s too dangerous out there. You all will die.” The Skakdi said. “Very well. Let’s move.” Sandstorm said as they exited the chamber. “I do not allow those who are cowards to dwell here.” An ominous voice said. Lava started filling the room, the Skakdi tried to use his gravity powers to save himself, but they would not work. He made a dash for the exit, but a large stone slab appeared out of nowhere. He started to bang on the rock. “Let me out of here! I want to come with you! Please, PLEASE!” He yelled. But the group was too far away to hear his pleas for help. After minutes of agonizing pain and screaming, it was over. The Skakdi was gone.

“Come on! We’ve got to get out of here!” Planachar said as he banged his sword against a wall. “It’s no use. Tren Krom will kill us either way.” Vushnar said. “If you really are the Vushnar that I met so long ago, you wouldn’t let a stone wall stand in your way of domination.” Planachar said. “Fine.” Vushnar said and started digging. After fifteen minutes of trying to escape, Vushnar surfaced “The rock goes on for miles. I’ll hit the ocean before I get under the rock.” Vushnar said. “How do you know?” Planachar asked. “Look.” Vushar said. Water was already starting to come up the hole. With a grip of terror, Planachar knew that this was the end.

Sandstorm, Rivera, and Kirana were being led by Tamiko through the jungle. “The only way to leave this island is to make peace with the one who rules it.” Tamiko said. “Wait, so you’re taking us TO Tren Krom?” Sandstorm said. “Yes.” Tamiko said as he cut through dense foliage. “Here we are.” He said as he gestured to the opening of a very large cave. “Come.” Tamiko said as he disappeared into the shadows. The Toa followed, knowing that this could very well be the end.

“We’ve been walking for hours!” Metalicus said angrily. “Perhaps it just feels like hours because the trek has been uneventful.” Ranex said. “Well, I would like it to get a bit more eventful.” Metalicus said. Then they both disappeared into a dark realm with the ominous words: “Be careful what you wish for.”

The Toa found themselves in a gigantic audience chamber when they came out of the shadows. “Okay, where’s Tren Krom?” Sandstorm asked. Then he saw the giant, gelatinous mass sitting at the end of the cavern. “Do not fear me.” Tren Krom said. “I do not wish to harm you. For you have shown courage and determination in your quest.” “Do you know what has happened to Planachar, Metalicus, Ranex, and Vushnar?” Sandstorm asked. “Yes. But I cannot say where they are.” Tren Krom answered. “Where are we?” A familiar voice said angrily. “Metalicus!” Sandstorm said. “You’re alive!” “Like you would care.” Metalicus said bitterly. “Why do you doubt your leader?” Tren Krom asked. “He deliberately put us in danger.” Metalicus said. “Is this true?” Tren Krom said as he looked at Sandstorm. “Yes.” He said in dismay. “From what I saw in your memories, you were putting others before you. A skill that is in all great leaders. It is easy to get caught up in selfishness and cowardice, but if a leader puts the safety of others before his own, he has earned my trust and aid.” Tren Krom said. “Take this. It will allow you to restore whatever you want. But use it wisely. For this is the only device that will allow you to do so.” He said as he handed Sandstorm a silver orb. “It will open when it is time. Farewell.” And in mere seconds, the group was back where they started. On a beach. Only this time, there was a boat sailing towards them.

HERE!

• 1 year later...