The Pictures Topic
This serves as an FAQ about pictures here in the Q&A forum. Everything you need to know about pictures is here, or is linked to in here. Some of the things we will be covering are:
IMAGES AROUND MY NAME
- What is an avatar, and how do I change mine?
- How do I get the masks to the right of my proto bar?
- How do I get the pictures under my rank?
- What is the PE bar under my name?
- How do I get that spinning mask to the left of my proto bar?
SIGNATURES AND PERSONAL PHOTOS
- How do I get a sig?
- How do I get an animation in my sig?
- How do I link images to use in my sig?
- Am I allowed to use regular images (from the news articles and such) for avatars, sigs, etc.?
- What are the size limits of sigs and avatars?
- What info is there about the Personal Photo?
POSTING MY PICTURES
- Are there any guidelines for posted images' dimensions and file sizes on BZP?
- How do I post pictures?
- How do I make a picture also be a link?
- How do I get a picture from my computer to the web?
- How do you get pics from the web to my computer?
- How long do upload images remain on BZP?
- How do I put emoticons in my post, and what is the limit?
EXTRA BUT USEFUL INFO
- How do I get a still image from a moving picture?
- How do you locate the properties (filesize, image size) of a flash image?
- Is there anything else I need to know?
Now, onto the answers...
IMAGES AROUND MY NAME
What is an avatar, and how do I change mine?
An avatar is the image right below a member's name. On the new forums, your personal photo is synonymous with your avatar. As such, to change your avatar, you will now need to change your personal photo. To change your avatar click here. This will take you to your control panel. Next, click on "Change your photo..." which is the first option you should see under "General Account Settings." From here, you can upload a photo from your computer, or import a photo from an external URL. Allowed file types are GIFs, JPEGs, and PNGs. Before the November 2nd software update, uploaded avatars smaller than 200x200 pixels would sometimes not display. This should be fixed, however; if you are still experiencing issues, try re-uploading your avatar.
Please note that GIFs will not animate anywhere but on the profile pages.Once you have uploaded a photo, you will be asked to crop it. The selection you crop will appear as your avatar on the forums; the uncropped image will appear as your personal photo on your profile page.
As a secondary option, you may sync your avatar using Gravatar. Gravatar is an abbreviation for "globally recognized avatar." While the Gravatar service is mostly intended for bloggers and not forum-goers, the IPB software allows you to make use of the service here on BZPower. Once you register your email with Gravatar and upload your photo, you may use that email here to sync your "gravatar" with your BZP avatar.
How do I get the masks to the right of my proto bar?
You will see that certain members have mask images (some shifting) to the right of their proto bar. Here is what each one represents:
- -- Outstanding BZPower Citizen Copper Mask of Victory
- -- Retired Staff Komau
- -- Reporter Kakama
- -- Forum/Blog Assistant Noble Huna
- -- Forum Leader Akaku
- -- Administrator/Global Moderator/Blog Leader Hau
Please do not use these in your avatar and signature or elsewhere without having earned them.
How do I get the pictures under my rank?
You can get the rank image by being a Premier Member. More info on Premier Membership can be found here.
What is the PE bar under my name?
This is a visual representation of your standing in BZPower's merit/demerit system. You can learn more about Proto Energy in this topic over here.
How do I get that spinning mask to the left of my Proto bar?
Members get the spinning masks underneath their name, to the left of their Proto bar, to indicate how long they have been a part of BZPower.
- 1 year: Vahi
- 2 years: Avohkii
- 3 years: Great Huna
- 4 years: Rahaga Norik head
- 5 years: Olmak
- 6 years: Faxon
- 7 years: Ignika
- 8 years: Ackar head
- 9 years: Hau
- 10 years: Hapori Tohu's disembodied yet gloriously spinning head
- 11 years: Rocka's helmet
- 12 years: Furno or something like that
- 13 years: Breez!
SIGNATURES AND PERSONAL PHOTOS
How do I get a sig?
To add or edit your sig click here. When editing your signature, please do keep in mind the signature guidelines. There is an 800x300 pixel reference box on that page to allow you to check the legality of your sig's dimensions.
How do I get an Flash animation in my sig?
For flash images, use the following tags:
Put the width and height where indicated; however, I believe if left blank, the image's default dimensions will be used.
Am I allowed to use images from the news articles and such for avatars, sigs, etc.?
Yes, but it would be appreciated if you saved the images and hosted them through an image-hosting site or your own site as opposed to taking them directly from BZPower. It is true that we no longer enforce the direct-linking policy; however, it is considered courteous not to link directly from this site.
What are the size limits of sigs and avatars?
The file size of your avatar and signature may not pass 250 kB COMBINED. Your entire signature is limited to a space of 800x300 pixels. You can use any combination of up to ten images and text to fill this area. Should you use an 800x300 image, however, you will have no room for additional text. Larger images have larger file sizes, so please do always check the file size.
What info is there about the Personal Photo?
Your personal photo appears on your profile page and is now synonymous with your avatar. To change it, go here and select "Change your photo..." Keep in mind the following rules:
- All photos must be no larger than 250 kB in file size.
- Allowed file types: .gif, .jpg, and .png.
POSTING MY PICTURES
Are there any guidelines for posted images' dimensions and file sizes on BZP?
Yes, all posted images must be within 750 kilobytes. As for dimensions, the board software will automatically scale down large images, but keep in mind that this will not reduce the file size.
How do I post pictures?
You post pictures by pressing the IMG button in the rich text editor (). Then, paste in the image's URL.
How do I make a picture also be a link?
Using the rich text editor:
1. Click the "Image" button on the top bar and use this to insert your picture.
2. Highlight/select the picture using your mouse.
3. Click the "Link" button on the top bar (bottom row) and type in or paste the URL that you want the picture to direct to.
Use this code:
[url=URL here][img]URL of Image Here[/IMG][/URL]
How do I get a picture from my computer to the web?
To get a picture here, you must do one of two things:
- Upload directly by being Premier; for more info on this, GO HERE.
- Upload it to a hosting site, then copy and paste the URL.
How do you get pics from the web to my computer?
Right click on the image, and select the save option from the drop-down menu. If you wish to use the image on BZPower, upload it to Brickshelf (if it's LEGO-related), Majhost (if it's not), or any other image-hosting site first. Then, use the image's URL and the steps above to post it here.
How long do uploaded images remain on BZP?
Avatars that are uploaded will stay until you remove them.
How do I put emoticons in my post, and what is the limit?
To get emoticons into your post, click the " :)" icon on the top bar. This will bring up a list at the bottom of the post field. Use the small blue arrows to navigate, or click "Show All" to bring up a menu.The current limit is fifteen, but let's not go overboard and abuse the system; please try to use only a moderate amount.
EXTRA BUT USEFUL INFO
How do I get a still image from an animated picture?
When the animation reaches the frame you want, press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, which will save the image. Then paste the image in an image-editing program.
How do you locate the properties (filesize, image size) of a flash image?
There are two ways you can do this:
- You could right click on the page (not on an image) and select View Source to see the HTML.
- The file is also stored in your browser cache if you want to look at it, but it could be scaled on the page, so the sizes could be different.
Also, let it be known that you may use flash files if they do not "disrupt the page," be it by automatically playing music, closing the window, or causing pop-ups. This is prohibited -- if you don't know whether or not it's okay, ask a Q&A staff member.
Is there anything else I need to know?
When quoting someone with a picture in the post, it is preferred that you do not keep the picture in the reply. Go down to the Quote box and delete it, or better, link it. It is especially preferred that you refrain from quoting very large images.
Feel free to use this topic for any image-related questions you may have; however, we do please ask that you search through the post above for your answer before you post.
07/24/2014: Updated sig+av combined file size limit (250 kB) and other limits (750 kB).
01/09/2014: Fixed formatting issues.
Edited by -Windrider-, Jul 24 2014 - 02:46 PM.