To open or not to open? That is the question...

Klanadack

So, today I went to some antique store, having nothing better to do. There I found three MISB Galidor sets. The sets were Gorm, Nepol, and Jens. All boxes are in decent condition. So, what I want to know is: should I open these sets? And if I do, is there a way to get them open without completely annihilating the packaging? Thanks.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Personally, I would sell them unopened on ebay and use the money to buy Bionicles, but if don't intend to sell them then you should probably open them.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

It's sealed in a kinda weird way that i've never really seen before. The plastic bubble containing the figure is in between two layers of thin cardboard, which are connected together. I don't know if the plastic is taped or glued in place.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It's sealed in a kinda weird way that i've never really seen before. The plastic bubble containing the figure is in between two layers of thin cardboard, which are connected together. I don't know if the plastic is taped or glued in place.

That's weird. I was going to suggest maybe heating it so the adhesive would come off easier but that sounds strange. :P

I would sell them unopened on ebay and use the money to buy Bionicles

No.

Why are you so against that?

Galidor sells for slightly higher prices than BIONICLE sets do, so I think it'd be more valuable to keep them or use the money for other purposes than buying BIONICLE sets.

Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Let them gain some value, then sell. I'd wait at least 3 years or so. They're Galidor, after all. You won't get any more enjoyment out of them out of the package than in the package. :P

Oh mata nui! The truth has been spoken! :P

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Personally, I wouldn't open them for the sake of selling them later when they gain more value.

Galidor sells for slightly higher prices than BIONICLE sets do, so I think it'd be more valuable to keep them or use the money for other purposes than buying BIONICLE sets.

I will have to agree with Tenebrae and say that this is indeed true.

Shouldn't this be in Lego Sets, instead of Bionicle Sets and Collectables? It is about Galidor, not exactly Bionicle.

Personally the Galidor figs are pretty good in their own right and get TOO MUCH HATE from some fans of Bionicle. I like them and managed to find a few on ebay for around $7. I say open them, but the packaging must be annihilated. I couldn't find a way around it. If you, don't want them, sell them on ebay, but not for an outrageous price.

Edited by Manterax Prime

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Okay, so I decided to open Gorm as an experiment, and let me just say that that packaging was a real pain to open. The way lego did it is that they sealed the plastic inside the cardboard, making it impossible to get the figure out while keeping the package in good condition. As for the figure itself, I really can't see why everyone hates it. The figure looks cool and holds various poses well. It's absolutely nothing like lego, except for the vaguely familiar click joints used on the knights kingdom figures. It would have been nice if he came with a weapon or something, but it's overall a good figure. My final verdict on Galidor is this: Bad as Lego; Good as an action figure.

I haven't really decided if I'm gonna open the others yet, tho...

Okay, so I decided to open Gorm as an experiment, and let me just say that that packaging was a real pain to open. The way lego did it is that they sealed the plastic inside the cardboard, making it impossible to get the figure out while keeping the package in good condition. As for the figure itself, I really can't see why everyone hates it. The figure looks cool and holds various poses well. It's absolutely nothing like lego, except for the vaguely familiar click joints used on the knights kingdom figures. It would have been nice if he came with a weapon or something, but it's overall a good figure. My final verdict on Galidor is this: Bad as Lego; Good as an action figure.

I haven't really decided if I'm gonna open the others yet, tho...

I guess you're right that they could be good action figures. I'm not a fan of Galidor, but I can see why some people would like it I suppose. :)

Bliss.png

This is about my assessment as well. I think it's understandable why these didn't catch on, and even with their high quality there are some obvious drawbacks to their design (click hinges somewhat limit the number of possible poses, the sound they make can be distracting during role play, and the figures are enormous). But on the whole they are the closest thing TLG has done to traditional action figures and I think they did an admirable job, even if it wasn't the right path for the company.

-Aanchir, in addition to the reasons you listed, I think they didn't really 'catch on' because they weren't compatible with other LEGOs. Sure, they are good action figures, but as LEGOs, they are horrible. People don't like them because they associate them with LEGOs.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

-Aanchir, in addition to the reasons you listed, I think they didn't really 'catch on' because they weren't compatible with other LEGOs. Sure, they are good action figures, but as LEGOs, they are horrible. People don't like them because they associate them with LEGOs.

Well, yes, but part of the point of the toys was presumably to break into a new market, and that new audience might not have especially cared whether they were compatible with LEGO since most people in that audience were presumably not already dedicated LEGO collectors. If The LEGO Group were primarily concerned with courting LEGO fans, they might as well have made the Galidor sets with regular minifigures (forgive the self-promotion).Note that with both BIONICLE and Galidor, the LEGO Group actively distanced the new product lines from the LEGO brand. BIONICLE, unlike most themes, did NOT have the LEGO logo appearing in the upper-right corner of its sets (except in its first year, when the sets were still being branded as a LEGO Technic sub-theme). Instead, the BIONICLE logo appeared front-and-center, with the LEGO logo often pushed to the bottom edge or bottom-right corner. Just compare any post-2001 BIONICLE package with a package from another LEGO set released during that time, like Alpha Team.The same applied for Galidor. LEGO did not think that the LEGO brand was the primary selling point of either of these themes, and if anything, I think they feared losing sales if the audience of preteens and teens associated the themes with the "kiddie" image that mainstream LEGO had at the time. This ties in with the fact that both themes emerged in response to the LEGO Group's unfortunate financial situation during this time and their efforts to diversify their product lines. This might also be why Hero Factory sets in 2010 had to include a label reading "from the makers of BIONICLE characters". People might not automatically associate BIONICLE with the LEGO brand in part because this brand strategy deliberately distanced BIONICLE from the LEGO Group's other offerings.Hence I think the theme's major failing was that this new audience a) didn't especially care for the brand and b) wasn't used to paying the high prices associated with the LEGO standard of quality. Its failure to appeal to LEGO fans also hurt it, but it was not intended to appeal chiefly to LEGO fans to begin with. More to the point, it was trying to secure a niche — high-end customizable action figures with media tie-ins — which didn't appeal strongly to any existing demographic, and certainly not the audience of kids that TLG expected to tune in to the TV show on Saturday mornings.

Let them gain some value, then sell. I'd wait at least 3 years or so. They're Galidor, after all. You won't get any more enjoyment out of them out of the package than in the package. :P

Oh mata nui! The truth has been spoken! :P

:lol:

I guess I am literally the only person who believes this is false? I am currently assured I'm the only person who has ever liked Gaildor.

I'd keep them MISB for now. It sounds like you're describing blister packs? I remember how Galidor sets were packaged, weirdly. It's kind of like Ninjago spinners, if I remember correctly.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!