Video Game You Last Played?

I've put Dark Souls II on a temporary hiatus. I still have to finish all the DLC and the final boss(es), but at fifty hours, I've started itching for a change of pace. I don't want to get tired of the game, so I think it's best I leave it alone for now. To take its place, I downloaded a recent purchase, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I'd heard great things about the series and thought I'd give it a try. It was... okay. I have to be in the mood for some older games, and I just wasn't feeling it this time. The controls were awkward and I didn't find the gameplay or story immediately engaging enough to justify fighting said controls for however many hours it would take me to finish the game. I moved on to another game I purchased not too long ago: Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut. I knew going in that this was a strange game, and in the hour or so I played, it hasn't disappointed. It's bizarre, creepy, and strangely captivating. I'm interested in this one, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

So I'm going through my backlog this summer.

I beat Transformers Devastation. It was a pretty fun, well made game- though pretty short, even for a character action game. Still a worthwhile game if you like Transformers and/or character action/spectacle action games.

I also beat Hotline Miami. Absolutely delightful game- challenging and with a great soundtrack, a fantastic aesthetic, and an enjoyable David Lynch-esc storyline.

And then I plunged head first into the sequel, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number and also completed that earlier tonight. Managed to be even more challenging than the original, though I feel like it's slightly worse than the first game overall. A worthy follow up, though.

hElbrZ6.gif

Technically the last game I played was Destiny but I'd rather talk about Overwatch because I really like that game.
​So far my most-played character is D.Va (as it should be) who's also my favorite but unfortunately there comes times where you have to use a character you really don't want to. That's actually resulted in me finally trying out Lucio though and he's pretty cool. I can barely do any damage with his weapon but it might just be me having trouble aiming it. Recently discovered while going through the options that the game's aim assist (at least on console) is automatically set to 100% but I have literally not felt any, so that's odd. I'd say "I WILL BE A TRUE PLAYER AND TURN IT TO ZERO" but compared to Destiny it feels like the aim assist is very low. I still miss a TON of shots and not once has it felt like my aim has been corrected by it.
​SPEAKING OF DESTINY SINCE I MENTIONED IT TWICE
​I finally got a Year 2 Longbow Synthesis. And it's a pretty good roll. Also got a perfect Eyasluna in the same day, but my handcannon aim ain't that good. Completed Year 2 Moments of Triumph after a really good King's Fall run and now I've basically done everything except get two exotic weapons I'm currently doing questlines for. It kinda makes me sad since I don't have really any reason to play right now besides Crucible until Rise of Iron.

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Lucio quicky became one of my favorites once I started getting into Competitive, costant AoE buffs make him the easiest support, he's the only healer who can really Heal/Attack at the same time, and hid kickback blast is really useful on maps where you can knock people off. I still like to play Mei whenever I can, though, nothing is quite as fun as freezing people and then shooting them in the face.

Anyways, in addition to Overwatch, I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and League of Legends recently, slowly been going through the grind to reach max level with every class in FFXIV which is a nice change of pace from just doing endgame content, and I got my first character to mastery rank 6 (Sona) in LoL yesterday.

Playing a ton of competitive Overwatch over here too (PC). Mostly main Soldier 76/Genji. My group knows that if there's a Bastion/Torb on the other team, it's 100% my job to dispose of it, haha.

Really excited for Ana. I used to main Val in Evolve tournaments and such, so a flexible dmg/heal/cc character is really up my alley (basically the same reason I play Soldier).

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Boooy I'm so hype for Ana. Her sniper functions exactly how I originally expected Lucio's weapon to work (direct heal instead of AoE).
​also mei's fun too but people overuse ice walls and have a habit of blocking their own team with it

​I played more Overwatch and the skill level change once you reach lvl 21 is very noticeable, jesus. Also to the Tracer who targeted me for like 3-4 consecutive matches last night: screw you.

I also played some Hanzo and when I get into the zone as him he is ridiculously fun.

[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

​I played more Overwatch and the skill level change once you reach lvl 21 is very noticeable, jesus. Also to the Tracer who targeted me for like 3-4 consecutive matches last night: screw you.

Level 21 (rank/xp) or Level 21 (MMR/competitive)? Currently rank 98 here, can confirm that there are excellent level 30s and terrible level 150s, haha. That said I agree that there's a ramp-up for those first ~25 levels. After that, level starts to correlate more to just time played vs. innate skill. They won't get harder forever. :)

Edited by Iruini Nuva

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

just finished my first playthrough of VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action. I'm pretty sure this game was literally made for me. absolutely loved it, probably the best game I've played all year tbh.

I've also been playing through Always Sometimes Monsters which is probably what I'll finish next. I also started a playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas a few weeks ago that I've kind of put on hold.

Level 21 (rank/xp) or Level 21 (MMR/competitive)? Currently rank 98 here, can confirm that there are excellent level 30s and terrible level 150s, haha. That said I agree that there's a ramp-up for those first ~25 levels. After that, level starts to correlate more to just time played vs. innate skill. They won't get harder forever. :)

Level 21 In rank. It's starting to even out and isn't as hard now but it was jarring at first.

[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I bought The Division for PC last week with birthday money, and I've been playing it ever since (after having to wait a bit because of a large update I had to download before I could start). I knew very little about the game; in fact, all I really knew was that a lot of people complained about it being bullet-spongy, which was a bit off-putting for me until I read the blurb on the back of the game's box that identified it as a military RPG. Now that I've played, that seems the best description, and I'm loving it. I've kept to solo play so far, but the game hasn't suffered for it. I'm not sure if I'll dip into multiplayer; I don't care for co-op with strangers and I'm not obsessed enough with loot collection to try the Dark Zone. Besides, with my lackluster Internet connection, I doubt I could play when someone else in my house is using the Internet, which is all the time.

I also purchased New Super Mario Bros 2 for my 2DS. I've only played a few stages, but it was pretty much what I expected: nothing mind-blowing, but good, simple fun. Definitely a better way to pass the time than endless replays of Mario Kart 7 and the handful of demos I have.

Just got the Blast Ball demo on 3DS.

It's okay, Rocket League with guns and slow movement is probably the best way i can describe it. Not making me any more excited for Federation Force, but with everything I've read up about it I don't think of really like it anyways.

As I'm currently chewing through my backlog, Darksiders 2 was on the menu most recently. I really liked the first one, and when I jumped into the second and realised they added even more RPG elements, I was like "aww yisss". The game world is awing, the gameplay tight and solid and the combat is sufficiently challenging. I'm kicking myself for not buying the DLC back in the day. I have the non-Deathinitive edition with only 2 of the DLC, and they can't be bought separately, however getting the Deathinitive would mean starting over, which is something I simply don't have the time for, plus everyone says it is poorly optimized, and I've already hacked my version to bits getting it working. Oh well. 

I'm also running a campaign of XCOM: Enemy Within in the meantime. I haven't gotten XCOM 2 yet, since I vowed not to buy new games until i'm at least 75% done with my massive backlog (97 games right now, only 6 of them are ones I've already started...), though I'm trying to test my willpower and resist until I'm completely done with it. Kinda like spring cleaning, but it takes longer and is actually fun. Resisting the steam sale this year was tough...

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

As I'm currently chewing through my backlog, Darksiders 2 was on the menu most recently. I really liked the first one, and when I jumped into the second and realised they added even more RPG elements, I was like "aww yisss". The game world is awing, the gameplay tight and solid and the combat is sufficiently challenging. I'm kicking myself for not buying the DLC back in the day. I have the non-Deathinitive edition with only 2 of the DLC, and they can't be bought separately, however getting the Deathinitive would mean starting over, which is something I simply don't have the time for, plus everyone says it is poorly optimized, and I've already hacked my version to bits getting it working. Oh well.

Oddly enough, the additional RPG mechanics are a major reason I didn't care for the second game--not because I dislike RPGs, because I do, but because if memory serves, the main change was the introduction of loot. I'm not a fan of excessive loot, and that, combined with my inability to get the hang of the combat, led to me quitting the game long before I was finished (though I would have soldiered on if, at the time I lost interest, I didn't have much left to play). That said, I fully intend to one day replay the game to its conclusion. What quibbles I had with the game were, I think, exacerbated by the fact that I went straight from the first game to the second, and I was fatigued with the formula. I also really wanted to play some other game, which is actually funny because though I cannot remember the other game I wanted to play, I do remember not enjoying it as much as I had hoped.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

P.S. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within is also in my backlog, though who knows when I'll actually get around to playing it. It is, I can attest, difficult to clear a backlog when you just keep buying more games.

After an awful and horribly frustrating start, Overwatch competitive has slowly been getting better for me. I went from rank 53 after placement matches to 44-45 thanks to teammates that play all defensive characters on attack and enemy teams that think it's funny to go all D.va or have multiple Torbjorn's locking down objectives (something the recent update, which just dropped on consoles yesterday fixed, thank god). Unless I play literally nothing but comp and win way more matches than humanly possible, I probably won't be getting any gold weapons before the season's over. Which sucks, but it's mostly because I got the game later than a lot of people. I'd probably give it to someone troll-y just to be funny anyways, like a certain streamer I know.

​I don't know how I feel about Ana yet because whenever I try to use her in quickplay people think that's an indicator that I just want to screw around and go all Ana, or three Ana's three of some other hero. I could just use her in comp because of the one hero limit but there's no way I'm using a character I have barely any experience with in competitive. Also, it's really hard to hit people to heal them/damage them on console, but I think that's mostly my own aim and people bunnyhopping like crazy or going behind stuff while spamming that they need to be healed. Wouldn't be the first time I had to train my aim for a character, I only just recently got good enough with McCree that I can actually hit things. He was already one of my most played characters ('cause he's a frickin' cowboy stereotype with a robot arm and a revolver) and now he might end up being one of my mains thanks to the range buff.

(d.va's still my fave tho)

[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Oddly enough, the additional RPG mechanics are a major reason I didn't care for the second game--not because I dislike RPGs, because I do, but because if memory serves, the main change was the introduction of loot. I'm not a fan of excessive loot, and that, combined with my inability to get the hang of the combat, led to me quitting the game long before I was finished (though I would have soldiered on if, at the time I lost interest, I didn't have much left to play). That said, I fully intend to one day replay the game to its conclusion. What quibbles I had with the game were, I think, exacerbated by the fact that I went straight from the first game to the second, and I was fatigued with the formula. I also really wanted to play some other game, which is actually funny because though I cannot remember the other game I wanted to play, I do remember not enjoying it as much as I had hoped.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

P.S. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within is also in my backlog, though who knows when I'll actually get around to playing it. It is, I can attest, difficult to clear a backlog when you just keep buying more games.

I remember feeling "exhausted" by the first game after completing it, while enjoying it nonetheless, which is why I slotted in a few other games in between the two. The reason I don't have a problem is probably because I was sporting DLC gear for the first half of the game, and by the time loot starts to out-stat DLC armor, you'll have picked up a possessed weapon, at which point you'll be feeding it all of the spare loot anyway  :P as for the combat, I attest. It's pretty hard, however I did take a long break in between playing it, got back into it recently and at first completely forgot about the abilties. I only used the standard attacks with the two weapons and kept wondering why I'm failing, then I accidentally activated that teleporting attack and was like "oh, yeah, those exist".

As for XCOM, while this is my first campaign, I've played a tad over ten hours. It's really worth the time, but as a bit of advice for when you get around to it - don't get too attached to any one soldier, and rotate your squadmembers in the early game. It will suck big-time if you take one group the whole way, power-level them like crazy and then they end up dying on you and all you have are rookies to face off harder missions. I had to roll back my saves to practically the start of the game.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Made a brief trip into the Dark Zone in Tom Clancy's The Division. It... wasn't quite what I had expected. In fact, I had a blast. I went solo, and it was quite tense (and surprisingly not annoying) fighting Veteran and Elite enemies exclusively. I extracted some equipment with few problems (I don't know if this is always the case, but defending the extraction zone was made easy by the Rikers and Cleaners being more interested in fighting each other). My second attempt to extract some equipment didn't go as well. Everything went fine until the helicopter arrived. The Rikers and Cleaners were going at it, and I was taking out the few stragglers that came after me, when I started started getting peppered from behind. By the time I was able to turn around to see my adversary, I was dead, killed by another PC who promptly took my dropped loot and hooked it up to the helicopter. Still, it was good fun, and I may occasionally come back to the game just to do some stuff in the Dark Zone.

I have shifted most of my attention to Dead Space. This will be the third time I have played it, but the first time on PC. I immediately discovered why so many people complained about the poor mouse controls in the PC port, but after a little fiddling, I was able to make the controls bearable in game, though the mouse cursor in the menu screens is still annoyingly floaty (thank goodness for arrow keys). It's been years since I've played it, and it is quite fun. It's less difficult and much less scary than I remember, which is odd considering my fairly poor tolerance for horror games. Maybe I'm just too familiar with the game and its horror tricks, but so far I've only experienced one moment of pulse-quickening fear: I turned from one corridor into another shorter corridor that led to a door. Light from the corridor behind me (the one I had just left) illuminated the door in front of me. As I neared the door, the fleshy thumping of running necromorph coincided with a shadow sweeping across the door. It was a good moment that made me shiver and spin Isaac Clarke around, but of course, nothing waited behind me, and a return to the corridor revealed no necromorph. So it isn't scaring me like it used to, but it might just have a few moments to come.

I have shifted most of my attention to Dead Space. This will be the third time I have played it, but the first time on PC. I immediately discovered why so many people complained about the poor mouse controls in the PC port, but after a little fiddling, I was able to make the controls bearable in game, though the mouse cursor in the menu screens is still annoyingly floaty (thank goodness for arrow keys). It's been years since I've played it, and it is quite fun. It's less difficult and much less scary than I remember, which is odd considering my fairly poor tolerance for horror games. Maybe I'm just too familiar with the game and its horror tricks, but so far I've only experienced one moment of pulse-quickening fear: I turned from one corridor into another shorter corridor that led to a door. Light from the corridor behind me (the one I had just left) illuminated the door in front of me. As I neared the door, the fleshy thumping of running necromorph coincided with a shadow sweeping across the door. It was a good moment that made me shiver and spin Isaac Clarke around, but of course, nothing waited behind me, and a return to the corridor revealed no necromorph. So it isn't scaring me like it used to, but it might just have a few moments to come.

Have you played the others in the series? It progressively moves away from horror to action, but the staples of the franchise remain and they're pretty enjoyable. I'll be the first to admit Dead Space 3 is a very bad horror game, but as just *a game* it is absolutely fantastic. Great gameplay, interesting level design, a very fun crafting system, interesting story and setting (I kind of had "soviet military base on a frozen alien planet vibes) and great music. While it's the least horror-y of the three (I mean, it has co-op. Nothing is scary when you're playing together with someone), but probably the best polished. Overall, I think 2 is the best since I've always liked the "high tech clean" sci-fi settings over the "low-but-high-tech grimy gritty" sci-fi settings, and as opposed to the Ishimura in the first game, the Sprawl in 2 actually looks like a decent place to live when there isn't a mutagenic zombie outbreak going on.

On topic, I haven't had much time to play anything recently due to spending my free time desperately digging through old Legos to re-build my Venator for a trade deal I had, I did clock a bit of time into that XCOM campaign. I got into a simple generic abduction mission that was ranked medium with three of my best troops and a rookie. In the first enemy round, three floaters landed lucky potshots wounding two of my veterans and killing the rookie (RIP I don't remember your name, you really didn't contribute anything to the defense of Earth). Two veterans died in the next round leaving me with one wounded soldier. I saved and quit, thinking I'll get back to it later >.>

Have you played the others in the series? It progressively moves away from horror to action, but the staples of the franchise remain and they're pretty enjoyable. I'll be the first to admit Dead Space 3 is a very bad horror game, but as just *a game* it is absolutely fantastic. Great gameplay, interesting level design, a very fun crafting system, interesting story and setting (I kind of had "soviet military base on a frozen alien planet vibes) and great music. While it's the least horror-y of the three (I mean, it has co-op. Nothing is scary when you're playing together with someone), but probably the best polished. Overall, I think 2 is the best since I've always liked the "high tech clean" sci-fi settings over the "low-but-high-tech grimy gritty" sci-fi settings, and as opposed to the Ishimura in the first game, the Sprawl in 2 actually looks like a decent place to live when there isn't a mutagenic zombie outbreak going on.

I have, and I intend to play the other two after I finish the first. Dead Space 2 is definitely my favorite, because I feel like it got everything just right: the right amount of horror and action elements, tighter gameplay, better story and characters, and a voiced Isaac Clarke (and I think Gunner Wright did a fantastic job, unlike (apparently) many other gamers). It also had the most memorable moments in the series (especially all the "Cross my heart, hope to die..." stuff). That said, I quite enjoyed the third game, too. Like you, I enjoyed many of the elements it added, crafting included, and I remember enjoying the voice acting. I wish the other guy (Carter, I think? It's been a while so I can't remember his name) played a larger role outside the co-op, though, and I wish the co-op missions were playable in singleplayer.

I've been playing Arkham Knight almost exclusively lately. It plays just like the previous Arkham games, which is a plus, because I absolutely love gameplay in the series. The Batmobile is fun to drive, but the controls were really hard for me to get used to.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I have, and I intend to play the other two after I finish the first. Dead Space 2 is definitely my favorite, because I feel like it got everything just right: the right amount of horror and action elements, tighter gameplay, better story and characters, and a voiced Isaac Clarke (and I think Gunner Wright did a fantastic job, unlike (apparently) many other gamers). It also had the most memorable moments in the series (especially all the "Cross my heart, hope to die..." stuff). That said, I quite enjoyed the third game, too. Like you, I enjoyed many of the elements it added, crafting included, and I remember enjoying the voice acting. I wish the other guy (Carter, I think? It's been a while so I can't remember his name) played a larger role outside the co-op, though, and I wish the co-op missions were playable in singleplayer.

Yeah, when playing solo Carter kept feeling like a pop-up window saying "hey, did you know Co-Op is a thing?" whenever he had some role to play. I'm a bit bummed about the franchise ending on a massive cliffhanger (provided you played the DLC for 3), and EA is keeping it in limbo. They said they still have plans with it, but not in the near future, which is sad.

Super Robot Wars X-Omega.

I jumped through hoops to get this running on my phone, since there's an event going on where Godzilla is showing up. I have nothing but love for SRW and Godzilla, so I immediately downloaded this. It's a fun little game, though it's not the turn-based tactics game that SRW usually is- it's ore of a tower defense sorta thing.

hElbrZ6.gif

Finally finished one of the endings in Fallout 4, first playthrough clocked in at 63 hours - just under 5 times the length of my New Vegas playthrough, and unlike NV, I'll be coming back for the rest of the endings and all the DLC. Definitely a really good game.

• 5 weeks later...

Last game i played was Borderlands. Playing as Lilith with my brother, who's playing as that soldier dude. Fun game. Just got past that car-oriented place.

Finally finished one of the endings in Fallout 4, first playthrough clocked in at 63 hours - just under 5 times the length of my New Vegas playthrough, and unlike NV, I'll be coming back for the rest of the endings and all the DLC. Definitely a really good game.

Guessing you didn't like new Vegas a whole lot? I myself didn't really like Fallout 4's story.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Funnily enough, I've been playing that old Bionicle video game intuitively titled "Bionicle: The Game". It has remained installed on my laptop ever since I dug up the disc about 5 months ago, and with this whole G2 cancellation thing going on, I decided to give it a spin. I am a bit saddened by it due to the obvious short-cuts taken to rush it out along with MoL back in the day and wish we got to see a "full" version of it. It is criminally short and the rail sections are really underwhelming (seriously? You gave Pohatu a freaking mine-cart with which to traverse an underground area?), but there is too much nostalgia going for it, and Gali's and Lewa's sections are genuinely fun and visually appealing. 

Other than this, I've been messing around in Star Citizen's newest version. It's nice to experience first-hand as the game evolves towards the end goal. I remember when the only playable part of the game was running around in a hangar and looking at your ship. Now, after countless milestones, we get to do much of what the final game will entail, restricted to a single star system. This game has already given me more fun than most $60 AAA titles, and it isn't even finished yet...

I've also picked up my old Pillars of Eternity save. I got a review copy for it back in the day and played just enough to pen the review for the deadline, but I didn't have much free time back then so I didn't touch it ever since the review got published. I've seen some really hardcore RPG fans rip on the thing, but I personally love it, and having played some old infinity engine masterpieces - which this is trying to evoke - I don't see the problems.

Yeah, I play a ton of games concurrently. Technically the "last" game I played was Bionicle, but I played all three within the past 30 hours or so, and I like talking about video games, so there you have it.

Edited by Pohaturon

• 3 weeks later...

Last video game I played was the original Deus Ex. Absolutely love the series and I can't wait to get my hands on Manakind Divided this Tuesday. Sadly, college work has been taking up a lot of my time. I haven't been able to play games lately. (Even though I somehow managed to rack up over fifty hours in Terraria.)

Got back into Diablo 3 after a hiatus of... what, 1,5 years? 2? Something like that. 

Started a new Monk character just for the new season. Never had a seasonal character before, nor have I ever played with a Monk. It will be interesting to explore all the things that have changed since I last played.

Finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided last night.

What a game. Didn't like it as much as Human Revolution, but that's my second favourite game of all time, so that's okay. Still really loved Mankind Divided.

Don't really get a lot of the complaints I'm seeing on Steam. I never had a problem with long loading times between districts, and I don't think my rig is that good, nor do I have an SSD. The microtransactions are completely irrelevant, because Eidos aren't stupid. I didn't really feel that the game was too short or anything either, having logged around 42 hours in it, enjoying doing pretty much everything the campaign had to offer. The ending is a bit abrupt, and it's definitely smaller in scale than Human Revolution, but that didn't really strike me as such a big deal while playing through it.

Visually, the game is stunning, both on a technical and aesthetic level. One of the best looking games I've played for sure. There's so much detail put into bringing the game world to life, and I often found myself just standing there and looking around, taking it all in. Definitely does justice to Human Revolution in that regard.

Gameplay is largely the same as Human Revolution, just with some new augments. I did a Pacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds run for my playthrough, as I always do, and had a lot fun with it. The stealth is as satisfying as ever. Admittedly a bit on the easier side, but there were some tricky parts like the one large open area in the GARM facility which took me a little while to get through. Level design is generally pretty great, much like Human Revolution, with lots of paths you can take to get to where you need.

The story and characters is where it falls below its predecessor, but not by enough for me to be disappointed. I still found the overarching plot engaging, and some of the side missions were pretty great, especially the Harvester one. The game plays out a lot like Ghost in the Shell style tech-noir, which I'm all for.

So yeah, I am very pleased with this game and with how it holds up against Human Revolution.

Gonna start up the System Rift DLC next, which is hopefully as good as the main game.

• Upvote 1

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I recently remembered I had a ton of games in my Uplay account from the Ubisoft humble bundle from a while back that I never played. Tried out Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and I'm really impressed with it. I know the PC port had a bad rep on launch, but after years of patches, it works like a charm and the game is great. I seldom care for graphics, but the visuals are neat, and I love the weapon customization. The military-bro attitude is a tad overplayed (Splinter Cell is still my preferred Tom Clancy franchise thanks to the lack of hollywood soldier lingo, among other things), but the writing is solid and, above all else, the game itself is fun.

Dug up the whopping 700 MB!!! CD with Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga, also known as Age of Empires 2: Star Wars. I know the game got a lot of flak for being a AoE2 reskin that is apparently not as good as actual AoE, but bite me. This is the second best RTS I've ever played, and yes, I realise that's nostalgia talking. Either way, this thing is a retro masterpiece.

Too bad community is dead. 

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.  The first time I played through, some guy from our church told me it was really easy, so I started on the highest difficulty... yeah, you really shouldn't do that your first time =P

Anyhow, my old rig died (thank you very little, Microsoft) so I reinstalled it and started a new game, this time on the easiest difficulty.  And whaddya know, I actually had fun this time around =P  I usually don't like Star Wars, but the lightsaber fighting is so detailed.  It's fun but tense when you get into a fight with a Sith, even at full health the duel can go south really quick - but it's soooo satisfying to drop him with a couple of clever moves.  Also the Sith seem to have a penchant for dueling on the edges of bottomless pits.  They still haven't learned after me Force-pushing half a dozen of them in =P

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Still making my way through Morrowind at this point, and trying my best to avoid chronic restarting with a new character - not at last because I'm actually quite fond of my Dunmer battlemage.

Also gave Daggerfall a try over the summer, but got stuck at the first dungeon, so there's that. This will need a lot more time to get used to... (same goes for Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, which is also a super-old game, but one where I finally learned enough about the game to make some significant progress.)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

So my family went on vacation last weekend, I spent a lot of the 12-hour car ride playing Pokemon Sapphire in Spanish.  It's an... interesting way to learn a new language.  I've been training ten Pokemon at once so I have a main team and a backup team at level 30, it adds much more playtime than I'd usually get out of the game.  Also the characters' names are way cooler in Spanish.  May's name changes to Aura, Steven is Maximo, Archie is Aquiles, the Pokemon Rangers are now called the PokeGuardos.

So yeah.  Want to learn a new language?  Get a cheap gameboy and Pokemon in Spanish =P

Meanwhile there's a lot of 'classics' that I've been meaning to get to, like the Mega Man series and the gameboy-era Sonic games, so I've started writing them down.  I figure I'll play through those and cross them off as I go, just so I can say I've played them once.  I'll throw this question out for you all, what games do you think everyone should play through at least once?  My vote is for Dooms 1 and 2.  They're some of the best first-person shooters, even for being so old.  Even if you don't like FPS's, I think everyone should play those at least once to see what the fuss is all about.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Still making my way through Morrowind at this point, and trying my best to avoid chronic restarting with a new character - not at last because I'm actually quite fond of my Dunmer battlemage.

Also gave Daggerfall a try over the summer, but got stuck at the first dungeon, so there's that. This will need a lot more time to get used to... (same goes for Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, which is also a super-old game, but one where I finally learned enough about the game to make some significant progress.)

Ah, yes. Realms of Arkania. I tried to play that on several different occasions, each time spending an hour or two reading through the manual before even starting the game itself, and I never made it very far. On my last attempt, I got as far as leaving the starting town, but en route I got attacked while sleeping, and after spending about twenty minutes trying to make heads or tails of the combat, I gave up. I still hope to return to the game and make a more serious attempt, but for now it and its sequel must be content to sit in my backlog.

I myself am playing through Tomb Raider: Anniversary. It focuses much more on platforming and puzzle-solving than Legend, which mixed all that with more combat, but since the combat isn't and never was a strong point for the series, the game doesn't suffer for it. Plotwise it's much more barebones; the cutscenes between missions are pretty much the extent of the story. Again, not really to the game's detriment, but a little more story wouldn't hurt.