Why do people dislike TLR?

fishers64

Gelu and Malum should've been in it, Tarix, Vastus, and Strack should've had bigger characters, too many unnessecary comments and cheers from Kiina, Mata Nui was kind of cheesy, Gresh was too much of a hot-shot, Tuma didn't do much (except die), Metus was a decent character (but a snake, really? And why didn't he hurt MN with that spiky tail?), I can keep going on about it's flaws.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Gelu and Malum should've been in it, Tarix, Vastus, and Strack should've had bigger characters, too many unnessecary comments and cheers from Kiina, Mata Nui was kind of cheesy, Gresh was too much of a hot-shot, Tuma didn't do much (except die), Metus was a decent character (but a snake, really? And why didn't he hurt MN with that spiky tail?), I can keep going on about it's flaws.

As awesome as Gelu and Malum are, having too many extraneous characters in a movie this short can be a bad thing. The previous movies didn't have this issue to nearly the same extent because all of the canister set villains were more or less drones with no meaningful differences in personalities, and even some of those had to cut characters from the small sets of their respective years (Matoro and Kopeke in Mask of Light, the Matoran in Legends of Metru Nui). I'm glad they picked a handful of diverse characters to give major roles and a few to have cameo rather than trying to shoehorn them all in.

Ah, I remember defending this movie against countless haters when it was first released. Good times :P

I personally liked it a lot. The BIONICLE movies never did the actual BIONICLE story and universe justice, so I just accept them and enjoy them for what they were. Yeah, some characters had their personalities changed in the movie, and the not-funny humor was irksome at times, as were the sometimes odd backgrounds, but it was a fun movie. And that's fine. If I want to enjoy the BIONICLE story in its epic glory I stick to the books and serials. The movies are enjoyable, so I enjoy them. Simple as that, no need to dissect them and criticize every little thing.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Well i do like TLR it was good, all the voices but Tuma fit well with the character mostly Berix and he is my Favorite in BTR and in my top 10 Favorite Bionicles. The battle was really good but i think it need to be longer mostly with the Strakk vs. Mata-Nui and i do think the movie need to go a little more longer as well.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Tuma also died in the most pathetic way. Elbowed in the back.

Gelu and Malum should've been in it, Tarix, Vastus, and Strack should've had bigger characters,

yeah, I would have enjoyed being in that movie xD

You are no longer Strack. You are, and forevermore will be Dovahkiin.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

everythingwrongwithtlr.pngohwhat wasn't wrong with that movieMAYBE THE WAY I NEARLY PUNCHED A HOLE THROUGH THE TV WHEN THE CREDITS ROLLED BECAUSE THE ENDING WAS THAT BAD AND EVERYTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY AND THE DIALOGUE AND THE ANIMATION MADE ME WANT TO GIVE UP ON LIFEI secretly hold a deep loathing for that movie and I do not consider 2009 as part of the official bionicle story because if I do I have to accept that junk as canon

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Okay, that was creepy.

But it's just really enjoyable as an awful movie. I got a lot less secondhand embarrassment from it than a lot of other films aimed at kids that I watch. Repeatedly.

(hey guys kiina was the best)

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I actually really liked the teeth. They added a lot of detail, expression, and realism to them. I also liked that they looked like metal, because it demonstrated the biomechanical nature of these beings more than their toyetic appearances did. I didn't like that there were something like two layers of teeth, though, and the front layer was the same color as their heads...

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I actually really liked the teeth. They added a lot of detail, expression, and realism to them. I also liked that they looked like metal, because it demonstrated the biomechanical nature of these beings more than their toyetic appearances did. I didn't like that there were something like two layers of teeth, though, and the front layer was the same color as their heads...

We are discussing the slightly disturbing teeth of Mata Nui with his Toaness. The others were okay.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

The same way Star Wars fans don't talk about the prequels (I'm personally okay with them except Phantom Menace). Indiana Jones fans don't talk about Crystal Skull, a number of Bionicle fans don't like to talk about TLR for a few reasons. However, these are just mine as I would be rambling more than usual if I listed everyone's reasons.

First off, THE MIGHTY TUMA!!! suffered from Sidorak syndrome. Started off as a formidable villain in the books and comics, and becomes cheesy and weak in the movie. Not to mention he didn't have much screen time. And no offense to the VA, but I imagined Tuma sounding a lot different, and considering who is the VA, I'm kind of surprised and disappointed.

As many have already pointed out, Kiina got kind of annoying really fast. Again, no offense to her VA or anything, but Kiina could have been less.... cheery. It isn't the VA's fault, it's moreso the people doing the scripting and dialogue, but never the less it was cringing to hear her utter "WHOO HOOOO!!!" every now and again.

There's also some technical goofs here and there that kind of bother me or make me feel amused inside. For one thing, a big guy like Tuma has tiny, clinking footsteps while walking around Tajun. And how can a skinny guy like Mata Nui easily push over two big, burly Stronius look-alikes? And some have argued about Metus' clapping sound as well. Those are just a few nitpicks off the top of my head. The people working on the original trilogy I think paid a little better attention to detail.

The plotholes... ugh, the plotholes. Not as many plotholes as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, but there are some that are kind of pointless and obvious all at once. While it would have ruined an action sequence, did Kiina need to slam the brakes when encountering the Scopio? Couldn't she have just turned to the left, let the Scopio dine on Bone Hunter soup, and possibly make it to Tajun in time to fight some Skrall? I know story-wise it's supposed to happen, but I think there ought to have been another way to go about it. Then Tuma's fate for example is left unclear. I thought he died, but then later on he's disappeared. Even later on, I read that he was just disposed of by the Skrall (because who wants a wimp like that leading them)? They leave a few things unclear and as a viewer, it kind of confuses me.

The plot seemed kind of predictable. Compared to some moments in the original trilogy, at least TLR becomes kind of flat and predictable. Take LOMN as an example. I think a lot of people were surprised when Turaga Dume not only made the Toa Metru into traitors, but turned out to be Makuta the whole time! So for a little over half the movie, there's a major turn of events and it makes it kind of... no, VERY interesting. WOS, while maybe not as good, also had it's own surprises, such as The Emperor Roodaka making Vakama become evil, her plot to kill off Sidorak, and essentially become the evil sorceress the evil tyrant with her knight by her side. Mask of Light maybe had one of the bigger surprises of its time when Takua, upon witnessing Jaller's sacrifice, has a major change in attitude and accepts his destiny as the Toa of Light. The whole time, Lego marketed the characters as being separate and remained coy about the Toa's identity (I remember some people thought Gali was the Toa of Light). TLR... well, if you've seen various action and adventure movies, you might be able to make some guesses here and there as to what might happen next. Protagonist in unfamiliar world, befriends locals, embarks on a quest of destiny, fights off Vader main villain.

Now I'm pretty sure there will be those who disagree with me. In fact, I know there's going to be a group of people who disagree with me, but these are just my personal thoughts, and I am sorry if my personal thoughts are in line with yours, but these all coincide with my tastes in entertainment and media, as well as my comparisons towards the original 3 Bionicle movies. While they are not perfect as movies either (they do have their flaws in them, you can't totally deny it), they either have some redeeming factor that allows me to overlook them and not judge them as harshly, or they are not as noticeable as when compared to TLR and some of the things I noticed first off.

So that is it out of me, rant mode terminated.

Edited by ShadowBionics

There's also some technical goofs here and there that kind of bother me or make me feel amused inside. For one thing, a big guy like Tuma has tiny, clinking footsteps while walking around Tajun. And how can a skinny guy like Mata Nui easily push over two big, burly Stronius look-alikes? And some have argued about Metus' clapping sound as well. Those are just a few nitpicks off the top of my head. The people working on the original trilogy I think paid a little better attention to detail.

The plot seemed kind of predictable. Compared to some moments in the original trilogy, at least TLR becomes kind of flat and predictable. Take LOMN as an example. I think a lot of people were surprised when Turaga Dume not only made the Toa Metru into traitors, but turned out to be Makuta the whole time! So for a little over half the movie, there's a major turn of events and it makes it kind of... no, VERY interesting.

Hey Shadbro!

Oh. Metus.

I honestly just realised that he makes a human clappy sound and that's kind of hilarious.

And who knows? Maybe Tuma took ballet lessons with the little Agori!

And I don't remember ever being particularly shocked at any plot twists. Maybe my brother told me the ending before I watched it so I wouldn't be terrified? He'd do that (the wonderful little brat).

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

Now I'm pretty sure there will be those who disagree with me. In fact, I know there's going to be a group of people who disagree with me, but these are just my personal thoughts, and I am sorry if my personal thoughts are in line with yours, but these all coincide with my tastes in entertainment and media, as well as my comparisons towards the original 3 Bionicle movies. While they are not perfect as movies either (they do have their flaws in them, you can't totally deny it), they either have some redeeming factor that allows me to overlook them and not judge them as harshly, or they are not as noticeable as when compared to TLR and some of the things I noticed first off.

I don't like TLR much, but I wasn't a huge fan of the original trilogy either. Outside of the music, nothing in the original trilogy really would stand out to a non-BIONICLE fan, and even as a BIONICLE fan, I don't feel the movies were perfect. Why did they kill of Takanuva only to revive him moments later? What did that do for the plot, and how did that make any sense at all? I liked the way the book portrayed that scene better, where he wasn't killed, and kind of just climbed out of the rubble.

Toa Zaz's points are pretty much spot on for me. The characters may have adopted the set style that a number of fans wanted since the first movie, but at the expense of everything else. My biggest peeves were the aforementioned awful cinematography. The first 3 movies at least tried to have dynamic shots and a certain degree of cinematicness to them. Not so here. Case in point, the Glatorian battles, worst of which is Tarix against Vastus. The two just run at each other, with a rather static camera panning from both sides. A "highlight" is when Tarix shoots a thornax at Vastus, who simply hops over the explosion like a skipping rope. It's not even done in a cool way. It's just...there, which is how I would basically describe the entirety of Legend Reborn.

evangelyne.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think a big part of this was we were all younger when we saw the first three movies. Those were created for younger children, and we were younger children. Now that we're all older, TLR doesn't seem as good in comparison.

I think a big part of this was we were all younger when we saw the first three movies. Those were created for younger children, and we were younger children. Now that we're all older, TLR doesn't seem as good in comparison.

Not really. The first three films helped to capture the storyline in a way that felt more like Bionicle. All three films had a pretty good soundtrack, and the voice acting was great. TLR could have been just as good if it wasn't kiddified.

You're right, the first three movies were aimed at kids. But the characters were portrayed very well by the actors. I think the animation style made the films feel more in depth too. TLR's animation looked way too much like the toys, and it didn't have that mysterious mythology to it. All I can say is that the best part of TLR was the beginning when you see the island of Mata Nui. From then on it gets worse. Fight scenes looked terrible too.

stooges1-300x204.jpg

I don't know, I thought the movie was pretty cool despite its... dorky air. I will agree with some of you, though, in that when I was younger, the movies seemed so much more epic than they do today. But that's kind of the point, mind you. Bionicle was always aimed at 8-to-16-year-olds, and if you're like me and in your twenties but still enjoy it, great! If not, that's your business.So, what do I think? Well, in the manner of every other movie except Momento, I shall start from the beginning!I will say that I was not expecting Michael Dorn's voice when I first saw this (he does have a cool voice, though). I wish I could remember the name of the actor I thought would fit Mata Nui best, but alas, I cannot. *tosses out names like Richard Armitage and Lee Pace for the heck of it, because yes, she got her hopes up that high* The opening narration is cool and all, but it feels too much like I'm watching/listening to some children's documentary.

The CGI in this opening sequence was poorly done for the exterior of the GSR, even for a DVD-movie. He honest to goodness looked half the size he should have been. Oh, and then there's the tiny problem of Aqua Magna not looking like Aqua Magna, and the misplacement of the planets. As for story, I realize that after a four-year gap we have to cater to people who don't even know what Bionicle is, but please, they could have put just a little more effort into the backstory. (I had my youngest sisters watch the movie earlier in the year, and they said they didn't get half of what was going on; especially in the opening.) And by the way, I have no problem with how they depicted the inside of the GSR. There are probably chambers like that all over the place for all we know. The CGI seems to improve a bit from here as far as character design, but that's just me. I think the movie versions of all the characters being carbon-copies of their toy counterparts is stupid, but I will say that I actually liked the look of Mata Nui, Ackar and few others. I thought the spinning thingamajigs were kind of cool, but then I'm one of those nerds who loves seeing moving parts like that on robots. (I know they're not robots. *hides*) I had no problem with the whole teeth thing, but Mata Nui's could have been more even (and I believe that "second set of teeth" are supposed to be lips). My only other complaint in this department is the way people move half the time. It's just... off. I thought Mata Nui's relationship with Click was adorkable. How would I describe the fight sequences.... To put it simply, they fight like LARPers. (No offense to any LARPers here.)Don't get me started on Kiina and how out-of-character she and some of the others were. I did find Berix amusing, however. And ShadowBionics covered pretty much everything else. A cliffhanger ending with no follow-up is just awful, ha ha; and I can't help but laugh when they all pose at the end there. Shame about the score, too. I loved the scores of the previous three movies, but this one was just... meh. Oh, and the most ironic line in the entire movie? Mata Nui telling Ackar, "I will explain later." And speaking of lines, I find it annoying that nobody in the film could make up their mind on what the plural of 'Glatorian' is. Other than all of that, I find it a rather enjoyable film. Something to play in the background on a rainy day while I sketch.Oh, and the writing could have been worse, too, you know. Considering they cast Jim Cummings as Ackar, they could have given him a singing role. I now dare you to look up Steady as the Beating Drum (Reprise) from Pocahontas, and In the Dark of the Night from Anastasia. *ducks out and leaves you all with that fabulous mental-image*

Edited by Silverglass

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

It took two steps back in terms of developments made by the previous movies. The second movie all around improved on the first one in terms of story, characters, visuals and music. Even the third one upped the visual aspect and gave decent villain.

TLR was just... lame.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

It was a fun film and I do enjoy it a lot. I feel like the dialogue and certain character traits are really two dimensional and lacking, but overall it is a fun film for those who appreciate Bionicle. I wish #6 got approved. At least we had a teaser of what it was gonna be like

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I liked it, but i felt it just felt way off base when compared to the rest of the story. For instance, the Tuma of the serials was not the Tuma of TLR. The Bone Hunters, who had previously been presented as extremely dangerous even alone, were suddenly being easily defeated en masse by three Glatorian in a car. Gresh...really wasn't very Gresh. And Strakk went from being a cool and cowardly cheater to the kind of moron that would blatantly break the rules of the arena. Strakk is much smarter than that--Malum was banished for attacking Strakk himself, so why would he try that too? It's just...dumb. Though that all is probably in relation to the fact that the movie was developed before everything else. So just....dunno.

I agree 100% with this. In some ways it is similar to the difference between the Sidorak shown in the novels (a great strategist) and the Sidorak in WoS (just a coward).

le-koro_banner.jpg

Oh, and the writing could have been worse, too, you know. Considering they cast Jim Cummings as Ackar, they could have given him a singing role. I now dare you to look up Steady as the Beating Drum (Reprise) from Pocahontas, and In the Dark of the Night from Anastasia. *ducks out and leaves you all with that fabulous mental-image*

That would have been wonderful.

No, really, imagine how awesome it would have been for Ackar to start singing about the good ol' days of the Core War.

You're right, the first three movies were aimed at kids. But the characters were portrayed very well by the actors.

Hahaha.Considering how totally off-character Lewa was, sorry but no.

ohwhat wasn't wrong with that movieMAYBE THE WAY I NEARLY PUNCHED A HOLE THROUGH THE TV WHEN THE CREDITS ROLLED BECAUSE THE ENDING WAS THAT BAD AND EVERYTHING ABOUT THE CHARACTERS AND THE STORY AND THE DIALOGUE AND THE ANIMATION MADE ME WANT TO GIVE UP ON LIFEI secretly hold a deep loathing for that movie and I do not consider 2009 as part of the official bionicle story because if I do I have to accept that junk as canon

You've made my quite curious as to exactly what has made you hate the 2009 story and the movie so much.-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Oh, and the writing could have been worse, too, you know. Considering they cast Jim Cummings as Ackar, they could have given him a singing role. I now dare you to look up Steady as the Beating Drum (Reprise) from Pocahontas, and In the Dark of the Night from Anastasia. *ducks out and leaves you all with that fabulous mental-image*

No, really, imagine how awesome it would have been for Ackar to start singing about the good ol' days of the Core War.

I agree fully. Imagine if the entire movie had character songs added.

Imagine if the entire story was a musical.

Bionicle: the Musonicle.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

TLR has really grown on me. I used to dislike it, but down to the great animation, voice work and more, I've come to appreciate it a bit more. One gripe I had before that that the story of Mata Nui returning hadn't really progressed much by the end of the film, but this was resolved with the next comic (it would have been great if they included it in the movie). Still 2009 remains one of my favourite years of BIONICLE, due to great sets, a fresh story and setting and great characters too (just a shame not all appeared in the film - it would have made it more crowded though).

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all."
- Tahu

You've made my quite curious as to exactly what has made you hate the 2009 story and the movie so much.

The 2009 was an unpolished attempt of reboot, making it lamer than older BIONICLE years and stories. The movie was based on such unpolished storyline which was not too fun. :-/

Maybe if Malum had appeared, or Strakk has been given more time on-screen...

Edited by Predator - Jungle Hunter

-G u u R a h K

I agree fully. Imagine if the entire movie had character songs added.

Imagine if the entire story was a musical.

Bionicle: the Musonicle.

Give Mata Nui his own song while training with Ackar, give Kiina one about how everyone thinks she's insane before she met Mata Nui, give Berix a song about "collecting", Mata Nui and Tuma could have a duet while they fight, and Metus and Mata Nui could have another duet as Metus reveals himself.

This sounds like the best movie ever.

That would have been wonderful. No, really, imagine how awesome it would have been for Ackar to start singing about the good ol' days of the Core War.
I agree fully. Imagine if the entire movie had character songs added. Imagine if the entire story was a musical. Bionicle: the Musonicle.
Give Mata Nui his own song while training with Ackar, give Kiina one about how everyone thinks she's insane before she met Mata Nui, give Berix a song about "collecting", Mata Nui and Tuma could have a duet while they fight, and Metus and Mata Nui could have another duet as Metus reveals himself. This sounds like the best movie ever.
Someone should totally do that, even as a fan video. It would be beyond hilarious.

That would have been wonderful. No, really, imagine how awesome it would have been for Ackar to start singing about the good ol' days of the Core War.
I agree fully. Imagine if the entire movie had character songs added. Imagine if the entire story was a musical. Bionicle: the Musonicle.
Give Mata Nui his own song while training with Ackar, give Kiina one about how everyone thinks she's insane before she met Mata Nui, give Berix a song about "collecting", Mata Nui and Tuma could have a duet while they fight, and Metus and Mata Nui could have another duet as Metus reveals himself. This sounds like the best movie ever.
Someone should totally do that, even as a fan video. It would be beyond hilarious.

My friends and I make movies, all of them except for me are musically talented, and most of them were BIONICLE fans as children, so perhaps I'll do it :P

My friends and I make movies, all of them except for me are musically talented, and most of them were BIONICLE fans as children, so perhaps I'll do it :P

tumblr_m81ofrSHVP1r3zat8.gif

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

What? Does that GIF mean?

What? Does that GIF mean?

Silverglass cannot even fathom how intensely amazing a Legend Reborn Musical would be. And I honestly do not blame her. I don't think I can either. It's just too perfect.

Now I know why everyone disliked TLR. It wasn't a musical! That's where the negative reaction has come in from.

But now the ultimate question: Should this be Disney style or Les Miserables style?

Silverglass cannot even fathom how intensely amazing a Legend Reborn Musical would be. And I honestly do not blame her. I don't think I can either. It's just too perfect.

Now I know why everyone disliked TLR. It wasn't a musical! That's where the negative reaction has come in from.

But now the ultimate question: Should this be Disney style or Les Miserables style?

Hello, Dolly! style. Then you get the best of both worlds. *bricked*

Edited by Silverglass

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Well, I'll just find a downloadable version of TLR's soundtrack, some singers, and I'll be on my way.

Silverglass cannot even fathom how intensely amazing a Legend Reborn Musical would be. And I honestly do not blame her. I don't think I can either. It's just too perfect.Now I know why everyone disliked TLR. It wasn't a musical! That's where the negative reaction has come in from. But now the ultimate question: Should this be Disney style or Les Miserables style?

Well, I'll just find a downloadable version of TLR's soundtrack, some singers, and I'll be on my way.
This topic has two versions of TLR's soundtrack. Have fun.