Why do people dislike TLR?

fishers64

Silverglass cannot even fathom how intensely amazing a Legend Reborn Musical would be. And I honestly do not blame her. I don't think I can either. It's just too perfect.Now I know why everyone disliked TLR. It wasn't a musical! That's where the negative reaction has come in from. But now the ultimate question: Should this be Disney style or Les Miserables style?

Hello, Dolly! style. Then you get the best of both worlds. *bricked*
Well, I'll just find a downloadable version of TLR's soundtrack, some singers, and I'll be on my way.
This topic has two versions of TLR's soundtrack. Have fun.

Many thanks for that! I shall be adding this to my list of things to do while bored or procrastinating. The Legend Resung shall live!

I'd lend my voice for Kiina, but alas, I have no recording equipment. Good golly, what have I started....? X'D

You have started a masterpiece.

Though listening to the music has made me realize that it kinda doesn't have much form and would be very hard to create actual lyrics to...

I'd lend my voice for Kiina, but alas, I have no recording equipment. Good golly, what have I started....? X'D

Though listening to the music has made me realize that it kinda doesn't have much form and would be very hard to create actual lyrics to...

Incorporate that into the lyrics. The characters occasionally drift off and look really confused due to their singing.

Also, fun fact: if the podcasts are considered canon, Hero Factory has a canon musical in-story based off the Factory's top heroes. Bionicle should top this by having their entire lives as a musical.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

You've made my quite curious as to exactly what has made you hate the 2009 story and the movie so much.

The 2009 was an unpolished attempt of reboot, making it lamer than older BIONICLE years and stories. The movie was based on such unpolished storyline which was not too fun. :-/ Maybe if Malum had appeared, or Strakk has been given more time on-screen...

I disagree. Without taking into consideration the movie, I'm quite fond of the 2009 story. It had a bit of a 2001 vibe to me and it felt like a fresh start, which I liked. The sets weren't even too bad either and I was glad to see more vibrant colours back. ^_^-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

The sets weren't even too bad either and I was glad to see ore vibrant colours back. ^_^

True dat.

They had some unique concepts in them as well. Vastus strikes me as particularly well detailed.

It's a shame that some of the more unique sets never showed in the movie, or if they did, they got bit parts. I mean, they were trying to sell the toys, after all.

The sets weren't even too bad either and I was glad to see ore vibrant colours back. ^_^

True dat.

They had some unique concepts in them as well. Vastus strikes me as particularly well detailed.

It's a shame that some of the more unique sets never showed in the movie, or if they did, they got bit parts. I mean, they were trying to sell the toys, after all.

Yeah, it's a real shame. Though it was weird how Vastus' shoulder armour was so rubbery in the movie. :P

-G u u R a h K

True dat.

Yeah, it's a real shame. Though it was weird how Vastus' shoulder armour was so rubbery in the movie. :P

It was rubbery? I don't recall that. You would think it would be solid - it's armor.

True dat.

It was rubbery? I don't recall that. You would think it would be solid - it's armor.

Gonna watch again. Brb.

Back. :P From about 42:30 to 44:00 it moves in a rubberish way. Unless I'm the only one seeing it. O.o

-G u u R a h K

True dat.

Gonna watch again. Brb.

Back. :P From about 42:30 to 44:00 it moves in a rubberish way. Unless I'm the only one seeing it. O.o

More like 45.00 to 46.00 (is that due to different movie versions?), but yeah, I get the point. They probably did it to accent the snake theme, and the poison going through his armor might have made it more supple - or maybe he made it more organic to better contain the stuff. (Otherwise those schmancy waves could prove a real hindrance in battle... I suspect ripping one off or grabbing one would get you a dose of the good stuff though.) :shrugs:

Incorporate that into the lyrics. The characters occasionally drift off and look really confused due to their singing.

Also, fun fact: if the podcasts are considered canon, Hero Factory has a canon musical in-story based off the Factory's top heroes. Bionicle should top this by having their entire lives as a musical.

I've started to actually come up ideas for lyrics, and I did have something like that mentioned, I believe by Berix. Of course, I stupidly was just mentally singing to myself while eating and didn't actually write any of it down...

I'm pretty sure that for the actual product, I'd like to use some kind of fan-remix that's easier to sing to.

True dat.

Gonna watch again. Brb.

More like 45.00 to 46.00 (is that due to different movie versions?), but yeah, I get the point. They probably did it to accent the snake theme, and the poison going through his armor might have made it more supple - or maybe he made it more organic to better contain the stuff. (Otherwise those schmancy waves could prove a real hindrance in battle... I suspect ripping one off or grabbing one would get you a dose of the good stuff though.) :shrugs:

Guessing mine got cut or something. :???: But agree with you on the rest. The weird thing is that stuff is usually rubberish in the sets and not in the movies/games.

-G u u R a h K

True dat.

Gonna watch again. Brb.

Guessing mine got cut or something. :???: But agree with you on the rest. The weird thing is that stuff is usually rubberish in the sets and not in the movies/games.

TLR got a lot of people saying that it was set-accurate. This is another example, I think.

Gonna watch again. Brb.

TLR got a lot of people saying that it was set-accurate. This is another example, I think.

Nope. The armor on the set is rock-hard plastic.

-G u u R a h K

Gonna watch again. Brb. Back. :P From about 42:30 to 44:00 it moves in a rubberish way. Unless I'm the only one seeing it. O.o
Weird. I suppose it could be the animators making the assumption that they were alive or something. :shrugs:

Gonna watch again. Brb. Back. :P From about 42:30 to 44:00 it moves in a rubberish way. Unless I'm the only one seeing it. O.o
Weird. I suppose it could be the animators making the assumption that they were alive or something. :shrugs:

LOL probably. That would've actually been cool though.

-G u u R a h K

Yes it would have. Vastus having real live snakes fused to his armor...:) Now we know why people disliked TLR; the animators were trying to appeal to fans nostagic for the style of the first three movies with ideas that were too forward thinking.

Yes it would have. Vastus having real live snakes fused to his armor... :) Now we know why people disliked TLR; the animators were trying to appeal to fans nostagic for the style of the first three movies with ideas that were too forward thinking.

Trying to appeal to the fans of the old films by trying to make a character partially organic and having them end up too organic? I are so confuse by this post. Though it does remind me of another thing I didn't like about the movie: These were characters who were supposed to be 85%ish organic, and they looked like robots with creepy teeth.

Besides, I thought we all agreed that people disliked the movie because it didn't have enough big musical numbers.

Yes it would have. Vastus having real live snakes fused to his armor... :) Now we know why people disliked TLR; the animators were trying to appeal to fans nostagic for the style of the first three movies with ideas that were too forward thinking.

Trying to appeal to the fans of the old films by trying to make a character partially organic and having them end up too organic? I are so confuse by this post. Though it does remind me of another thing I didn't like about the movie: These were characters who were supposed to be 85%ish organic, and they looked like robots with creepy teeth.Besides, I thought we all agreed that people disliked the movie because it didn't have enough big musical numbers.

In the old films, they didn't have armor that was alive, so yeah. I mean, a robot with creepy teeth and organic shoulder armor is not MoL-esque.But the musical numbers were the big problem. That was just a minor detail.

For me, and I think most people, excluding you of course, Kiina's Woohoos just killed it.

This pretty much sums it up for me. But actually, I didn't dislike it. I didn't think it was great by any stretch of the imagination though. MoL will always be my favorite, because it was set in one of my favorite story arcs, and there is something special about the island of Mata Nui that no other location in the BIONICLE universe can match, including Bara Magna.

Bliss.png

For me, and I think most people, excluding you of course, Kiina's Woohoos just killed it.

This pretty much sums it up for me. But actually, I didn't dislike it. I didn't think it was great by any stretch of the imagination though. MoL will always be my favorite, because it was set in one of my favorite story arcs, and there is something special about the island of Mata Nui that no other location in the BIONICLE universe can match, including Bara Magna.

She only "WHOO HOO"s like, 3 times in the whole movie.

3 times too many, IMO. It set the tone for the rest of TLR as a movie for very young children.

Bliss.png

Agree with all of the above.

And good to see my dad wasn't the only one who thought those teeth were creepy. :P

The teeth were a bit weird. And was it just me, or did it look like they had metal lips?

...It was just you. I hope.

Those teeth looked like chips cut in pieces.

They never had braces, I suppose...

Bliss.png

Did you miss the dance after the first one? Yeesh.

Edited by fishers64

Oh, how could I forget that one? :rolleyes: That really killed it for me too.

Bliss.png

1. Bad, generic, boring basic story. Some guy comes to a place where some people are trying to take over some other people for no adequately explained reason, and he stops the bad guys. Not a whole ton of interesting stuff going on.

2. Boring, lifeless, overly toyetic character designs. Complete with annoying inconsistently spinning pins, giant screws that make them look comparatively tiny, and red pins like in the sets.

3. Slow, boring, thoroughly uninteresting fight scenes.

4. Really boring cinematography. There's very much a minimalist effort approach to it. Few of the shots are composed in a very interesting way. For instance, the Mata Nui robot scene at the beginning should have looked incredible like in the Ghost animation, but it looked like just another toy.This is likely indicative of Mark Baldo's relative inexperience as a director.

5. Terrible boring thoroughly underwhelming sound editing. Giant boulders crashing sound like pebbles. This contributes to the dull and toyetic feel of the whole movie.

6. Awful score. There's the forgettable and somewhat annoying main theme, some pseudo surf music, the music they play when they go to Tesara (best music in the movie), the music in the credits, and some Mickey Mouse esque cartoon music throughout. Aside from that, not a whole lot. The overly uplifting but sweeping and epic scores of the first three movies were better than this.

7. Cartoon sound effects throughout. Godzilla roar, crickets chirping, etc. It's stupid and annoying.

8. Voice acting. Jim Cummings gave a serviceable performance as Ackar. The rest were either terrible deadpan schlock or stupid cartoon characters lazily intended to appeal to small children. I don't blame any of the main character actors, however; the script was terrible and they did an okay job with what they had to work with. Then there was the background Agori. The voice acting there was inexcusably horrendous.

9. The story was bad enough as is, but then the execution of said story was even worse. Nothing is adequately developed. Mata Nui's initial circumstances and his exile are barely featured. It is never explained what a Toa is, even though they throw the word around a lot. There is no adequate reason for why life on Bara Magna is so harsh, and we don't really see enough for it to appear so. A total example of telling without showing. The tribes on Bara Magna are never developed; as far as the movie is concerned all they do is watch Glatorian matches all day to settle "disputes," which are never explained either. Metus is given no real reason to betray them. The villains aren't portrayed as anything but essentially chicken-sounding imbeciles. They have no motivation to take over. They make a big deal about Skrall and Bone Hunters being rivals or whatever, but the layman probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The Ignika and its powers are never adequately explained. The Great beings and their laboratory is never adequately explained. The whole premise of the villages actually being a giant robot is bizarre and preposterous and illogical and stupid. This whole story reeks of lazy, terrible writing.

10. Too much boring and oftentimes vestigial expository dialogue. Bone Hunters and Skrall are rival tribes, Gresh is just a rookie, Ackar isn't as skilled as he used to be, etc. Much of it goes nowhere. The whole thing comes off as a rough draft.

11. There was way too much effort to pander towards lazy studios' inaccurate perception of the little kid audience. Anybody who thinks kids like slapstick humor and uncool heroes and villains doesn't understand how imagination works. Kids want to project themselves onto cool heroes and like to be a little over their head in movies content-wise; it makes them feel mature. So, basically, all the stupid humor and non-threatening villains, etc. was not entertaining and both distracted and detracted from the overall film. The plot had to slow down every time Kiina and Berix got in some stupid argument, and having villains like Tuma who weren't scary or intimidating at all made the film lack suspense. Once again, it was boring.

I could go on and on, but I'll summarize it right here: the movie was BORING!!! The animation, voice acting, dialogue, music, cinematography, sound editing, characterization, and story were all mind-numbingly dull. At least the other films, regardless of their execution, felt like some degree of passion and creativity went into the production. This feels like a cynical, cheap, lazy, unenthusiastic half-effort to make a few bucks. So, there you have it.

This guy, he gets it.

It's such a shame that TLR couldn't even live up to the previous films.

1. Bad, generic, boring basic story. Some guy comes to a place where some people are trying to take over some other people for no adequately explained reason, and he stops the bad guys. Not a whole ton of interesting stuff going on.

2. Boring, lifeless, overly toyetic character designs. Complete with annoying inconsistently spinning pins, giant screws that make them look comparatively tiny, and red pins like in the sets.

3. Slow, boring, thoroughly uninteresting fight scenes.

4. Really boring cinematography. There's very much a minimalist effort approach to it. Few of the shots are composed in a very interesting way. For instance, the Mata Nui robot scene at the beginning should have looked incredible like in the Ghost animation, but it looked like just another toy.This is likely indicative of Mark Baldo's relative inexperience as a director.

5. Terrible boring thoroughly underwhelming sound editing. Giant boulders crashing sound like pebbles. This contributes to the dull and toyetic feel of the whole movie.

6. Awful score. There's the forgettable and somewhat annoying main theme, some pseudo surf music, the music they play when they go to Tesara (best music in the movie), the music in the credits, and some Mickey Mouse esque cartoon music throughout. Aside from that, not a whole lot. The overly uplifting but sweeping and epic scores of the first three movies were better than this.

7. Cartoon sound effects throughout. Godzilla roar, crickets chirping, etc. It's stupid and annoying.

8. Voice acting. Jim Cummings gave a serviceable performance as Ackar. The rest were either terrible deadpan schlock or stupid cartoon characters lazily intended to appeal to small children. I don't blame any of the main character actors, however; the script was terrible and they did an okay job with what they had to work with. Then there was the background Agori. The voice acting there was inexcusably horrendous.

9. The story was bad enough as is, but then the execution of said story was even worse. Nothing is adequately developed. Mata Nui's initial circumstances and his exile are barely featured. It is never explained what a Toa is, even though they throw the word around a lot. There is no adequate reason for why life on Bara Magna is so harsh, and we don't really see enough for it to appear so. A total example of telling without showing. The tribes on Bara Magna are never developed; as far as the movie is concerned all they do is watch Glatorian matches all day to settle "disputes," which are never explained either. Metus is given no real reason to betray them. The villains aren't portrayed as anything but essentially chicken-sounding imbeciles. They have no motivation to take over. They make a big deal about Skrall and Bone Hunters being rivals or whatever, but the layman probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. The Ignika and its powers are never adequately explained. The Great beings and their laboratory is never adequately explained. The whole premise of the villages actually being a giant robot is bizarre and preposterous and illogical and stupid. This whole story reeks of lazy, terrible writing.

10. Too much boring and oftentimes vestigial expository dialogue. Bone Hunters and Skrall are rival tribes, Gresh is just a rookie, Ackar isn't as skilled as he used to be, etc. Much of it goes nowhere. The whole thing comes off as a rough draft.

11. There was way too much effort to pander towards lazy studios' inaccurate perception of the little kid audience. Anybody who thinks kids like slapstick humor and uncool heroes and villains doesn't understand how imagination works. Kids want to project themselves onto cool heroes and like to be a little over their head in movies content-wise; it makes them feel mature. So, basically, all the stupid humor and non-threatening villains, etc. was not entertaining and both distracted and detracted from the overall film. The plot had to slow down every time Kiina and Berix got in some stupid argument, and having villains like Tuma who weren't scary or intimidating at all made the film lack suspense. Once again, it was boring.

I could go on and on, but I'll summarize it right here: the movie was BORING!!! The animation, voice acting, dialogue, music, cinematography, sound editing, characterization, and story were all mind-numbingly dull. At least the other films, regardless of their execution, felt like some degree of passion and creativity went into the production. This feels like a cynical, cheap, lazy, unenthusiastic half-effort to make a few bucks. So, there you have it.

This guy, he gets it.

It's such a shame that TLR couldn't even live up to the previous films.

What a perfect description.

Bliss.png

No, that was just one big "WHOO HOO" that managed to ruin the only song in the whole movie.

No, that was just one big "WHOO HOO" that managed to ruin the only song in the whole movie.

It managed to ruin not only the song, but the entire movie itself. :P

Bliss.png

The "I Was Right" song. That would have been a pretty darn good work of art there, had those horrid noises not been made.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

The "I Was Right" song. That would have been a pretty darn good work of art there, had those horrid noises not been made.
I want to see an edited version of that in your musical. :POh, whatever, now I have this stuck in my head...They told me that I was wrong, but IIIII was right,Holding on to hopeWhen they all gave upCome on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though I Could have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same. They said I was delusional, but IIIII was right,Other worlds, no such thingUntil an other-worlder came along. Come on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though I Could have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same. Now imagine that in Kiina's voice. :P

I want to see an edited version of that in your musical. :POh, whatever, now I have this stuck in my head...They told me that I was wrong, but IIIII was right,Holding on to hopeWhen they all gave upCome on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though ICould have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same.They said I was delusional, but IIIII was right,Other worlds, no such thingUntil an other-worlder came along.Come on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though ICould have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same. Now imagine that in Kiina's voice. :P

LOL That would be pretty annoying, but kind of cool at the same time.

Bliss.png

I want to see an edited version of that in your musical. :POh, whatever, now I have this stuck in my head...They told me that I was wrong, but IIIII was right,Holding on to hopeWhen they all gave upCome on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though ICould have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same.They said I was delusional, but IIIII was right,Other worlds, no such thingUntil an other-worlder came along.Come on in,Place your bet,Take your name,Play my game,Because even though ICould have been wrong, I WAS RIGHT!All the same. Now imagine that in Kiina's voice. :P

Out of curiosity, is that a real song, or did you just come up with it?

Out of curiosity, is that a real song, or did you just come up with it?
I invented it. :P I just couldn't help thinking of that after you said "I Was Right" song.