9078120299_5bd5740589_n.jpg

Flickr

This cute little guy is my entry for BBC #65, which is also a drastic revamp of the Terra Nui Hummaera Rahi I made a while ago. That old version, coincidentally, was the first thing I posted on Flickr. So this revamp was long overdue, and when BBC #65 came along, it was the perfect opportunity for me. :D Because the old Hummaera, cute as it was, looked little like a hummingbird.

I'm very pleased with how the new one turned out. In particular, I was able to use a lot of my new pearly gold pieces on it, such as Hero Factory for the beak, and the awesome new Legends of Chima sets for the tail feathers. The Hummaera now features a movable head, wings, tail feathers, and toes -- although without a perch, he has to stand on his claws in an odd posture. Oh well. It's also only slightly larger than the largest real hummingbird, which is cool.Aside from the fact that it needed a revamp, I was partly inspired to make the Hummaera after I saw Epic, since I could not get the awesome image of riding hummingbirds out of my mind.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Thanks, Taipu. I do agree with you, the green dragon head makes a good back piece. Its numerous connection points came in very handy. :DThe yellow-clawed feet were actually the first thing I made after the head, when I wasn't sure just how big the Hummaera would be. I wanted to use the tan balls and battle droid bodies with the gold Exo-force robot arms, but when I put some of those gold claw pieces on them (that were used elsewhere on Hummaera's body), they were simply too big. And proportion-wise, the MOC has bigger feet than an equally-sized hummingbird would, so I settled for the closest-color substitute among my small Viking horn pieces. That happened to be yellow. It was all I had left, since orange looked atrocious. :PAre the feet slightly too big? Yes. Do the yellow claws kinda not match? A little. But for the sake of having feet exactly like a real bird's, with movable toes that allowed the Hummaera to stand, I was willing to use yellow claws. Thanks for pointing that out, though.~B~

Edited by Ballom

Dawww it's so cute. The pieces blend together so perfectly. Honestly I don't think the yellow claws look too out of place. If it was a real bird with those colors I think I would find it odd if its nails were colored the same ad the colors on its body or feet. Good luck in the contest. Your humming bird has some real competition.

Edited by Warlord Erebus Nuva

"There was no way that was an ordinary Toa, no Toa killed like this. No Toa fought so mercilessly. This hooded thing had single handedly killed hundreds of his Rahkshi children with twin gleaming swords. No that was no Toa.... that thing was Death himself....

Last thoughts of an unknown Makuta on Toa Erebus

Dawww it's so cute. The pieces blend together so perfectly. Honestly I don't think the yellow claws look too out of place. If it was a real bird with those colors I think I would find it odd if its nails were colored the same ad the colors on its body or feet. Good luck in the contest. Your humming bird has some real competition.

Thanks, Erebus. I did try to give it a pretty coherent color scheme, just as a real bird would have. To be honest, the Hummaera is kinda drab compared to real hummingbirds, but then again I don't think there are any gold-colored hummingbirds.

As for the contest, I am indeed pleased that the Hummaera will be advancing to the finals at BrickFair. And you are right, it does indeed have some dire competition -- that Ostrich looks ready to tear the Macaw, Chestnut-winged Cuckoo, and Terror Bird apart. :P

~B~